Mothering Forum banner

Do you iron your children's clothes?

4K views 120 replies 112 participants last post by  quester 
#1 ·
This can be a spin off of the spin off!

So do you iron your kids' clothes?

#102 ·
Not counting things I've sewn myself, I have only ironed something for DS once in his entire life (though he's just 3 3/4 yo, so it hasn't been that long a time yet.) That one time was for a wedding.

That's pretty much my rule for ironing for all members of the family, I'll do it for: sewing/crafting, weddings, funerals, job interviews, court, really big meetings, etc; but not for everyday, and only if the item actually needs it.

#106 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kayabrink View Post
I iron everything, but we don't use the dryer at all. Also, we re-wear almost all our clothes except underthings (which no, I don't iron) for at least two days.
My Mil irons EVERYTHING. Socks. Boxers. Towels. Sheets. Pajamas. RAGS. I don't do these things. There are limits to my obsessiveness.

I find ironing therapeutic. I keep a basket of all the clothes washed and dried over the week, then iron everything at once on one day of the week, so I only need to get out the iron and board that one time. I really love doing the napkins and table cloth. Ok, apparently I'm odd...
Lol. Me coming out too
! If there's ONE task in the household I do not mind, almost like to do, it's ironing (not so much all the other household chores
). We do not own a dryer, only air-dry. Ironing for me is truly therapeutic, makes my mind stop from spinning around, makes me calm, might even get good ideas suring this activity, and satisfying on finishing a whole load/having an empty laundry basket again.
I do like everything clean, ironed, folded, and put away neatly. Like order in our clothes and cupboards. And socks/underwear/panty's (lol) I do not do, but apart from that anything else. Also sheets and towels (that's mostly a quick job anyway), also since we have regular stay-overs so I always want to have things ready for such occasions.
Also I specifically do towels because the heat of the iron may deal with some leftover bacterial cultures in those (cfr. unfortunate females with recurring infections).
Not that I'm delighted in seeing a full basket full of fresh laundry that needs ironing, Sure not a household freak :).

I just do not see how you could NOT iron AT ALL, lol.

When I had babies I limited it to just most basics, so no sheets/towels/pyjama's and only some baby clothes, because of a serious lack of time for household and so seriously cutting in goals.

Now that's not a major issue anymore and I2m happy we're back on track, I mean: at LEAST with laundry

#107 ·
I'm still on a quest to find a way to iron without hurting my back. I prefer my clothes ironed. However, reaching forward, in general, is painful for my back and shoulders, so the height of the board isn't the issue. If there were such a thing as a laptop ironing board, that would work!

#108 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ernalala View Post
I just do not see how you could NOT iron AT ALL, lol.
It really isn't completely necessary when you have a dryer. Also it looks from some of your spellings as though you do not live in the US? US culture is more friendly to not-ironing than some other cultures. No stay-over would even consider insisting on ironed sheets.

#109 ·
I hate to iron and I am really no good at it so I try to buy non-wrinkle clothing and just hang it up or fold it right out of the dryer.

However; the boys go to a uniform only school so I prefer them to look 'neat' since their clothes are not non-wrinkle friendly for the most part. Luckily their great-grandma loves to iron so she iron's and presses all their school uniforms.

#110 ·
My children go to a school where the uniform code states, "All uniforms must be clean, pressed, in good repair and meet the length guidelines. Sports uniforms need not be ironed but must meet all other requirements." It goes on with other requirements, but yes, this means that I iron clothes for each school day. The girl's dress even has pleats for extra ironing fun. Both kids wear clothes to church that look better ironed. DH wears dress shirts and pants to look better ironed. The only person who doesn't wear a lot of "needs to be ironed" clothing is me. Ironically, I am the houshold iron-er and I think I spend about 4 hours a week doing it, generally on evenings when there is something interesting on TV between 9 and 11. I don't really mind it, but I can think of things I'd much rather be doing during that time.

OT -- I can't believe this thread is at 6 pages!

#111 ·
I am an artist, so I iron my silk paintings before I frame them.

Clothes - um, no, never. I don't iron my own clothes either. If I find something needs ironing, it never gets worn again. Or it gets worn wrinkly.

I do feel great after 6 pages though - I can see just about everyone else feels the same way. OP, I wish you had made this a poll; it would have been 99% no 1% yes.

#114 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan&Anna's_Mom View Post
My children go to a school where the uniform code states, "All uniforms must be clean, pressed, in good repair and meet the length guidelines. Sports uniforms need not be ironed but must meet all other requirements." It goes on with other requirements, but yes, this means that I iron clothes for each school day. The girl's dress even has pleats for extra ironing fun.
Oh, the guilt! When my dc wore school uniforms, I still didn't iron their clothes. They looked bad - wrinkled shirts and crinkled pleats. I figured it was a form of peer pressure that I wouldn't buckle under. And I also figured that if my teenage dc really cared, they could iron their uniforms themselves. They didn't. I felt guilty, but not enough to haul out the iron and ironing board every day.

#115 ·
rarely ever. Occaisionally there are dresses that get so wrinkled it becomes a modesty issue. ironing can add an extra 4 or 5 inches to the dress. save with shorts that get creased funny. but I consider those things more of a repair than normal care. As a general rule we only buy stuff that will not need ironing. I don't iron my clothes either.

even when I was getting school uniforms for my kids they were all wash and wear. The place I work went to uniforms and when they realized they had to be ironed they sent back the first shipment of 600 shirts and went with a completely different company. The thought of giving people clothes that had to be ironed was just silly. They got their money back too. because there was no warning that they would need ironing
Really, we live in an iron free age. it is so rare something would need ironing on a regular basis.

#116 ·
Ummmm...well I iron almost everything, sheets, dish towels.....the lot. I find it theraputic. I tend to do it when DD is sleeping and put on something I like on telly, like Midsommer murders or some such and have a glass of wine.

I am especially vigilant about DD clothing, as I am a bit of a boutique clothing fanatic and DH has told me that he has no prolem with my spending as long as it evens out in the end.......so I sell most of DD's used clothing, and they need to be in great shape!

#117 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ewe+lamb View Post
I never iron anything - well rarely anyway - I had a job ironing clothes when I lived in Italy - they iron everything!! Well certainly this family did - I reckon I did my fill of ironing for the rest of my life!!
I remember laughing at my sister when she was an au pair in Spain and she had to iron the family's underwear! They iron everything.
I rarely iron, unless I'm sewing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.