i think i might have named my baby the wrong name - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-20-2004, 11:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I couldnt for the life of me find a name that I just *knew* without a shadow of a doubt was what seemed right for my last ( and 6th) baby.
Every other PG I had names that I just knew was right. It clicked. Except this one.
We picked Sierra Jade and I still couldnt say it outloud LOL for quite a few weeks.She was " the baby". Its finally now seeming to fit.I cant imagine her as any of the other names we thought up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2004, 01:47 PM

I have to jump in here. My dd is almost 6 months. Her name is Rebecca Michelle. The middle name is after my sister. I am still not sure about Rebecca though. We usually call her Becca but I have not even filed her birth certificate yet. I need to be sure about her name before I do. Dh would kill me if he knew. I have to get her SS# for our taxes soon!
Old 02-22-2004, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

i had forgotten about this thread! lots of great stories and comments here...i had no idea that this wasn't uncommon! something happened to me after i wrote the op, i don't know what, but i've begun to not only accept her name, but i really do love it. we gave her a first name that we really liked, and a middle name that we think is pretty and is from something my midwife said when she was born, and it's special, but i think a lot of our family didn't like it and maybe i started having doubts? i've always cared a little too much about what other people think, and her birth was the first time that i have fully trusted myself and my abilities without question, and it was very beautiful. so i gave her this name, and tried to keep trusting my instincts. maybe this was a reminder to keep doing that.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:09 PM

i think there is alot of pressure to come up with the perfect name one that is unique, but not too weird. i dont know i have a gabriel, and an isabella and an ushoushalah. when i was working at the cafe i used to work at, twice i had people tell me that they knew someone with a gabriel and an isabella. so much for finding names that were uncommon. so with our third baby, we decided on ushoushalah anoushka, which i love, and has a neat story behind it. but i wonder if it isnt too much. she is almost 6 months now and ive thought of changing it to hazel grace. of course she has given life to this name and made it her own, which they all do eventually. i just hope she doesnt have to answer the question 'can you spell that?' until it makes her want to scream: :

Happiness despite misery is a great victory, I think...

caffix.gifSingle coffee loving and making mom to fencing.gifds, age 12, hamster.jpg dd, age 10, dog2.gif dd, age 7, flowerkitty.giftigress, cat.gifquinn, hyena.gifblack cat, and wool.gif beatrice the spider. Yeeehawww!!!

Old 02-22-2004, 06:39 PM

I love my ds' name, but I wish I had spelled it differently. My dd is Meghan, spelled the "Irish way". My ds is Riley. I wish I had spelled it Reilly. I mean, duh, I went to all this trouble to find an Irish name for both of them that we both liked, and then I spelled it wrong. Everyone kept telling me to just get the birth certificate changed, and I really wanted to, but we had had a uc, and had so much trouble with the birth certificate the first time around (over 8 months to get it all straightened out). Now I think I should try getting it fixed, but then I think I should wait and see if *he* wants to get it changed. I am so indecisive when it comes to this! :LOL Of course, a big reason why I want to change it is because so many little girls are being named Riley (which I didn't know at the time! ARGH! Why do people name their girls with boys names? it's hard enough to find decent boys names. I just hope it ends up like Jamie, and not Leslie. Jamie is just unisex now, but Leslie is mostly a girl's name. sigh). And then I feel like I'm overreacting, especially since I fancy myself not sexist. :P Ah, well. Sorry for the hijack, my main point is that I can relate.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:51 PM

I went through a very similar thing w/ my ds...throughout my entire pregnancy I wanted Eli for a boy and zoe for a girl. dh was fine w/ Zoe but he wanted Corey (my brothers name) for a boy. I was comepletely against it, hated the name, didn't want to do the name after thing...well when he was born (a fabulous, wonderful VBAC) I was feeling overwhelmed w/ emotion and said "ok let's name him Corey". I questioned it for a long time, wanted to change his name (the first name is very easy to do, it's the last name that's tough). I didn't think the name fit him. I don't know what happened, but I love his name now, he's my baby boy and the name suits him just fine. don't know if this helps any, but I guess it grew on me. :
Old 02-23-2004, 09:31 PM

For the first few weeks after dd was born, I had a hard time using her name. In part it was because we knew we wanted a knickname, but couldn't figure out which one. Her name is Alexandra - do we use Ally? Alex? Lexie? I called her "gorgeous" or "baby" or other loving terms.

We finally settled on Ally, and using it felt forced at first. But now... now it's perfect. She IS Ally.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:16 PM

Naming a baby is hard because you never know what kind of person they will be. I always felt more comfy w/ the names after they were a bit older and the personality shines through. My grandpa changed his name when he was 18 - I think he was John or something but he changed it to Charles Ellsworth and expected every first born boy in the fam to be named charles also. So thats my dads name but my dad didn't have any boys so no more charles...

I love your daughters name btw!

I had a problem naming our kids because of two diff. cultures/languages. So not only did we have to pick something that went well w/ the last name, meant good things, but sounded good in two languages. Its a good thing pg are as long as they are!

We have an Izac Gavin and a Liam Miqueas. Liam looks like a liam to me - hes got blondish/reddish hair and beautiful colored eyes. Izac looks more like a gavin to me but I didn't want that as a first name because of how it is pronounced in spanish. When they are old enough and want to change their names I wouldn't be offended as its something they have to live with.

Ok I went off on my own little naming story there... sorry!
Old 02-24-2004, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Apricot
[B
I sometimes think that a perfectly good name is no good for an infant. Can a newborn baby really ever be an "ELIZABETH" or should she be a Bitty-boo until she grows into her royal-like name.
[/B]
Isn't that the truth! I was Beth until my fourth birthday, when I announced that I was old enough for my grown up name. I told my family that they were to call me Elizabeth from that day forward, or I just wouldn't answer.

We had a hard time calling our son by name until he was several months old. He was just "baby" to us! Nathan seemed too heavy for such a tiny child. So dh called him buddy for a while, until he was 8 or 9 months old.

We thought that we would call him Nate, but he's just such a Nathan. I wish that dh's family would figure that out! We have asked them repeatedly to PLEASE call him Nathan. But they can't seem to remember.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:54 PM

ebethmom--my sister has that problem with her son, Samual. Our dad and grandparents wanted to call him Sammy and she said no way!

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by maria423
For the first few weeks after dd was born, I had a hard time using her name.
Me too--and I felt so guilty about it. I hated the name we picked for DS and thought I'd made a huge mistake, even though the name had been floating around me everywhere I went when I was pg. Now, after almost 2 years later, I see that is is just perfect for him! (He's Denny, by the way).

DS#1, never had a doubt--suited him to a "t" the from the first minute we decided on it. (Colin)

They are like some sort of Odd Couple--Colin is straight-laced, perfectionist, type A and Denny, I predict, will be out smoking pot with his grunge band while sporting multiple piercings (but happy!).
Old 02-25-2004, 12:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love both of my children's names. We picked the names Elijah and Olivia when we were dating (we didn't notice at the time how similar they sound! LOL). When we were pregnant with my son we knew it would be one or the other. He was born and named Elijah Michael Zion. When we were pregnant with Olivia it was hard because the name Olivia had all of a sudden become popular. But I had carried that name in my heart for 4 years, in my heart my daughter was Olivia (and I knew intuitively that I was carrying a girl). So we named her Olivia Antonia Faith. The only thing about her name I regret is I wish I had saved Antonia for another girl. But I really think the name suits her anyways. When we have a third child we are screwed! There are no other names that we can agree on that we both love. I really, really, really want to name my next daughter Chloe Eva Grace. But he hates the name Chloe. It just breaks my heart because Chloe is the name I really want to use. But it will never happen. He has agree to Eva Grace as the two middle names. I said how about Grace (Gracie) as the first name but he said no to that too. The only other name I love is Caitie but I don't know if it would fit with my children's names. Elijah, Olivia and Caitie doesn't really flow. We could go with Catherine I guess. And for a boy I want Zachary, he's undecided. I want Chloe!!! Waaaah!

I think your daughters name is beautiful by the way.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
Old 02-25-2004, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly
... I really, really, really want to name my next daughter Chloe Eva Grace. But he hates the name Chloe. It just breaks my heart because Chloe is the name I really want to use. But it will never happen. ...I want Chloe!!! Waaaah!
I feel the same way about Ender Akiva

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Old 02-25-2004, 04:06 AM

T
eilonwy--I just looked at the pics of your little guy. What a doll! Such a cutie and a gorgeous smile!

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
Old 02-29-2004, 06:13 PM

I recommend that you go through the legal process necessary to change her name to something you like. I regret not having done it, and now, like you, I'm stuck with a name I'm not really fond of, with no good nicknames.

DH is Korean, so we were considering both Korean and American names, but the one requirement was that it had to be at least two syllables and had to be pronunciable to both Americans and Koreans. Not an easy task.

After our son's birth, the hospital kept telling us we had only five days to decide a name, and if we hadn't decided by then, they were required to submit the birth certificate with only the last name and the first name as "baby." We would then have to go through the legal process to change it.

To make a long story short, we ended up with a very common American name because it fit our pronunciation requirements. Later, when we realized just how common the name actually was, we decided to legally change our son's first name to "Engle," which is Korean if pronounced a certain way. This sent both our families into an uproar. Everyone thought it cruel and unusual to change a one-year-old's name. And nobody liked the name "Engle."

We persisted in calling him Engle, but decided to delay the legal name change until our families grew to accept it. Then, one day DH came home and said he no longer liked the new name b/c it sounded too harsh and gutteral, and even though it is Korean, every Korean he met thought it was too strange. So, at 18 months, we reverted back to our son's way-too-common American name, which I simply do not like.

I would like to change his name to "Jasper" or "Jensen" or something .... anything, really. But at 2.5 years old, our son probably would not adjust well. He has enough trouble giving up his attachment to his old shoes -- I don't think I can expect him to give up his name.

But I think your daughter is young enough that changing her name wouldn't be a problem, even though it might raise some eyebrows among your family and friends. It's probably better to put up with a quiet uproar (or even a very noisy one) than to settle for a name you don't really like.
Old 03-17-2004, 03:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Names.. Names... Names... I mean what can you do- you know? DP would not talk to me about names AT ALL- and if he did he threw out stupid names like "chair" or "paint" : he said it was because I made fun of him one time when he told me he loves Summer Moon- Now I dont like the name Summer- So when our DD was born we were going though a name book and DPs dad found Rainy- and I knew that was it! but Scott wanted to spell it Rainey (fine with me) and then the middle name- that went on for 24 hours- lol.. They would not let us leave the hopsital unless we had a name. So Scotts dad was at work looking up names on the internet and would call us every 5 min with a list- the second I heard Faye I said that is it! and scott said but I have more- I said "no more, Faye is it- Rainey Faye". We call her Faye Faye most of the time. I love Rianey but Faye just rolls better. My aunt told me I should have spelt it Rainey Fe' and I loved that like Santa Fe' but it waw after the info went out so I just let it! Now for our next baby I am trying to get Scott to say yes to Golden Summer- my great grandma was named golden and I love it! And he loves Summer- the best of both worlds- right?? But he doesnt like it! :

Also- I do love your DDs first name- It was on my personal list for my DD- but DP's old GF had some stupid stuffed animal she called izzie and he said no way! But I wanted to call her Bell-

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks

RAINBOW BABY DUE MAY 4th!!!
Old 03-17-2004, 03:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
For the first few weeks after dd was born, I had a hard time using her name.
Yep me too. I kept calling Rainey "Aubrey" (our neice!) I felt so bad. Like shouldnt I know what MY daurehers name is???

Also, my sister doesnt like her sons name- it is Cole Michael. She really hates it- I love it! She let his dad pick it out and I think that is why she hates it- She had Anthony Robert pick out and she changed it days before he was born.

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks

RAINBOW BABY DUE MAY 4th!!!
Old 03-17-2004, 08:40 PM

our max is never called 'max'. sam christened him 'babuki' and i am afraid that has become his name. strange children in the hall at preschool say, 'hi, buki!' as we walk past. we are pretty sure one day he will be 'uncle buki'. sometimes it takes care of itself.

(i know about that rae-LYN thing- for years- till it got common- my kay was kay LEIGH. annoying, huh?)

suse
Old 03-19-2004, 01:28 AM
Banned

Old 03-19-2004, 02:27 AM

I have a similar situation with our daughter. For a long time we were going to call her Gabriela Mercedes. The Mercedes is my MIL's name (a super sweet person BTW) and we wanted to honor her. But, she kept insisting that we not use it. We finally gave in and decided on Gabriela Rose. Now that Gabi is 15mo old we see so many similarities between her and my MIL that I really, really, really wish we had gone with our first instinct. I like Gabi Rose....but I still don't see it as her name for some reason. WWYD?

Christina
Old 03-27-2004, 04:46 PM

our daughter is ushoushalah anoushka and i have entertained the thought of changing it. having to repeat it 3 times when i tell someone her name, dealing with comments like can you spell that and isnt that a mouthful makes me feel like if this is how it is for me, now, how is it going to be for ushoushalah. the thing that drives me crazy is all through school, we learn to sound things out, but for some reason, noone can sound out ushoushalah.
i guess i do not see how w ecould change it. it would be so confusing to her. plus she has made this name special, and i do love it.

Happiness despite misery is a great victory, I think...

caffix.gifSingle coffee loving and making mom to fencing.gifds, age 12, hamster.jpg dd, age 10, dog2.gif dd, age 7, flowerkitty.giftigress, cat.gifquinn, hyena.gifblack cat, and wool.gif beatrice the spider. Yeeehawww!!!

User Tag List