What's your most embarrassing public parenting moment? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 130 Old 11-19-2009, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is intended to be a FUN thread where we can laugh at ourselves. We've all done things that make us want to sink into the floor or hole up in the house and never come out again. Here's mine:

We were getting DS's pictures done when he was 18 months old. Right before the pictures, he had a major diaper blowout. I had to sit down on the carpet right there in the photo studio and clean up his huge poop explosion because it was leaking out the sides and if I'd tried to go to the bathroom, I would have left a trail the whole way. While I cleaned up DS, XH had to go out into the store and buy a new outfit for the pictures because we didn't bring an extra. The whole time, the teenagers that were in the studio were making snide comments about how gross it was. I probably would have thought the same thing if it had been someone else. I was MORTIFIED.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#2 of 130 Old 11-19-2009, 04:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane View Post
This is intended to be a FUN thread where we can laugh at ourselves. We've all done things that make us want to sink into the floor or hole up in the house and never come out again. Here's mine:

We were getting DS's pictures done when he was 18 months old. Right before the pictures, he had a major diaper blowout. I had to sit down on the carpet right there in the photo studio and clean up his huge poop explosion because it was leaking out the sides and if I'd tried to go to the bathroom, I would have left a trail the whole way. While I cleaned up DS, XH had to go out into the store and buy a new outfit for the pictures because we didn't bring an extra. The whole time, the teenagers that were in the studio were making snide comments about how gross it was. I probably would have thought the same thing if it had been someone else. I was MORTIFIED.
Ok this is pretty embarassing and happened while my son was not with me but it is a 'parenting thing'...

...Ok so I hadn't been out without my son , with other grown ups for at least a year, I am a sahm, homeschooler, I um don't get out much for myself , with friends without my son. That's fine but anyway, I was going out this day to the city with my two best girl friends. DH was home with my boy.

So we get out of the subway and it is Christmas time in the city very busy.We go to cross this street , I wait for the walk sign to come on, it does and without even thinking about it, just instinctual reaction, I take my girlfriends hands and was like 'Ok lets go"....then I quickly pulled away and slapped my forehead and was like "Sorry guys, just looking out for you being adults and all I know you need my help crossing the street."

My son wanted these smilies here
#3 of 130 Old 11-19-2009, 05:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
^^ He He I was in my late teens before my Mum's hand stopped automatically reaching out towards me whenever we crossed a street.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#4 of 130 Old 11-19-2009, 07:22 AM

OK, not too long ago, once upon a time...

We were running late, and I was in a really big hurry. The baby (16months) was still napping and we had an appointment. So, I tell big brother to quickly wrap him up in the blanket and get him to the car as I rush all the other children out. It is about 40 degrees outside.

So, we get to the chiro's office, and when I completely unwrap Baby, he is nakey!

I never thought to check and see if he was dressed as I just assumed he was when he went to nap. Boy! Did I have some 'splaining to do!

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#5 of 130 Old 11-19-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty View Post

We were running late, and I was in a really big hurry. The baby (16months) was still napping and we had an appointment. So, I tell big brother to quickly wrap him up in the blanket and get him to the car as I rush all the other children out. It is about 40 degrees outside.

So, we get to the chiro's office, and when I completely unwrap Baby, he is nakey!

I never thought to check and see if he was dressed as I just assumed he was when he went to nap. Boy! Did I have some 'splaining to do!
OMG, that is soooo funny!

The worst that happened to me was a diarrhea attack my three year old had in a restaurant. I felt so sorry for her.

The other day when she made a comment in a small boutique for kids' clothes "Those clothes are UGLY. We won't buy that, mommy will sew me something NICER!", I felt quite awkward too .

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#6 of 130 Old 11-19-2009, 09:33 AM

DS1 has a poop incident at the photo studio when I went to pick up the pictures. I didn't bring in the diaper bag because it was just supposed to be in and out. But they messed some things up so we were there for over 20 min. I looked over and saw this GIANT TURD sitting in the middle of the waiting area and just *knew* it was from my child. I quickly asked for a kleenex, snatched it up, hoping and praying that nobody else noticed (the clerk seemed oblivious) and then I'm standing there - fussy baby in the sling, holding my toddler in one hand and this turd in the other and going through my mind - WHAT DO I Do?!? fortunately there was a bathroom nearby, we dashed off, got fixed up, came back and I knew then that the other couple (with two young kids) totally saw what happened. I dunno, I would have told someone if I saw poop falling out of their child's pantleg!

Another "bad parenting" moment was when I was in the big city doing several shopping trips and DS2 decided he had had enough of the sling. So I had to put him in the stroller. Except our stroller is dumb and you can't push it with one hand, which meant I didn't have a free hand to hold my toddler, who was a real runner at that point! So....I used the strap off of my camera and put it on his belt loop. Yep, I was a "leash mom" for approximately half an hour and felt SO STUPID - especially with all the dirty looks I was getting from people! You'd think they had never seen a kid on a leash before. Now DS1 isn't a runner and I know enough to bring a MT and sling as backup for DS2 so we don't end up in that situation again

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#7 of 130 Old 11-19-2009, 11:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizzy View Post
Another "bad parenting" moment was when I was in the big city doing several shopping trips and DS2 decided he had had enough of the sling. So I had to put him in the stroller. Except our stroller is dumb and you can't push it with one hand, which meant I didn't have a free hand to hold my toddler, who was a real runner at that point! So....I used the strap off of my camera and put it on his belt loop. Yep, I was a "leash mom" for approximately half an hour and felt SO STUPID - especially with all the dirty looks I was getting from people! You'd think they had never seen a kid on a leash before. Now DS1 isn't a runner and I know enough to bring a MT and sling as backup for DS2 so we don't end up in that situation again
I've used the Moby wrap as a leash in a pinch. I think a Maya would work too.

I am cracking up at these! I'm going to think of some of my own for later.
#8 of 130 Old 11-19-2009, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post
The worst that happened to me was a diarrhea attack my three year old had in a restaurant. I felt so sorry for her.
This reminded me of something that DS did just a few weeks ago. He had had a bit of diarrhea earlier and didn't quite make it to the potty. No big deal, it happens, right? So he was feeling better later and we decided to stop by the library. I was looking for some books in the kids' section and he was playing in the play area a few stacks over. Out of nowhere, I look over at him and he's standing on a chair looking for me. When he saw me, he SHRIEKED across the kids' section, "MOMMY! The poop squirted out into my underwear again!"

I wanted to just sink into the floor and die! We had to rush through checking out because there's no bathroom inside the main library. Then we had to go into the bathroom, clean him up, and take him home underwearless, holding his wet underwear wrapped in TP, praying that he wouldn't poop again until we got home.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#9 of 130 Old 11-19-2009, 12:41 PM

I'm , so many poop stories!
Mine are all poop related also- it never fails that if i forget an extra change of clothes one of my children will have an accident in a public place and exclaim loudly "mom , i just pooooopeeed!"

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
#10 of 130 Old 11-19-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolansmummy View Post
I'm , so many poop stories!
Mine are all poop related also- it never fails that if i forget an extra change of clothes one of my children will have an accident in a public place and exclaim loudly "mom , i just pooooopeeed!"
of course on the poop stories! (this is MDC--no one is going to admit to the time their child was totally out of control at the grocery store at 5:30 pm, but you had to go because you didn't have a vital ingredient for the dinner you had already started or because there is a bake-sale or party tomorrow and your ODC had just told you about it, so you lose your temper and either yell at the kid or give him a pat-on-the-tushie (swat))
#11 of 130 Old 11-19-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lilsweetfoxes View Post
of course on the poop stories! (this is MDC--no one is going to admit to the time their child was totally out of control at the grocery store at 5:30 pm, but you had to go because you didn't have a vital ingredient for the dinner you had already started or because there is a bake-sale or party tomorrow and your ODC had just told you about it, so you lose your temper and either yell at the kid or give him a pat-on-the-tushie (swat))
I've seen lots of parents admit to spanking their children. They just don't refer to it as a "pat-on-the-tushie" but as hitting or spanking and talk about it with regret.

:Mama to 2 :
#12 of 130 Old 11-19-2009, 04:33 PM

My worst parenting I have ever done in public is to take my 15 mon old to McDonalds for breakfast and let him eat an egg McMuffin (Don't tell DH )

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

#13 of 130 Old 11-19-2009, 04:45 PM

Maybe we should retitle this thread - funny poop stories

One day I actually had a meeting in the same town where I live so DH and I decided to pick up DS from day care for lunch and go to lunch as a family. We picked DS up and headed off to a local burger joint. We got there and I took DS out of the carseat only to realize it and he were covered in poop. It was coming out of his diaper and out of his onesie and down his legs and everywhere. Plus he had gotten his hands in it! We didn't have a diaper bag with us because we had just picked up DS from daycare!

DH and I took turns holding him all the way in front of us (both us were dressed for work and both had white shirts on!) and rinsing our and DS hands off in a fountain outside. DH ran in and got burgers to go while I put DS back in the car and kept his hands away from his mouth and used the couple of spare wipes I found to clean him as best as possible. Then we headed back to daycare and cleaned DS, his carseat, changed his clothes, and had a picnic lunch on the floor of his room.

Mama to DS (03/09) and DD (10/11) and married to the love of my life

#14 of 130 Old 11-19-2009, 05:03 PM

In the grocery store parking lot, I once strapped DS into his car seat, shut his door, started the car, shut the driver's side door...and then calmly strolled off to put the shopping cart into a corral like 100 feet away.

Once I realized what I'd done I sprinted back so fast I'm surprised my feet didn't leave a trail of fire like the Delorean in Back to the Future...

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#15 of 130 Old 11-19-2009, 05:11 PM
crl

One of my more embarrassing moments, that is somewhat funny in retrospect, is from when DS was about 2. We had walked about a mile to a park and were headed home. I had the stroller but he wanted to walk. Fine, but he needed to hold my hand as he was a runner and I couldn't count on him not to dart out into traffic. My rule was that if he jerked his hand out of mine then he needed to ride in the stroller.

He jerked his hand out of mine and took off. So I caught him, but he had finally gotten too big for me to just pick up and put in the stroller and he didn't want to get in. So we sat on the sidewalk in a busy residential area with him wailing away for about 30 minutes until he decided to get in so we could go home. That was a reeaallly long 30 minutes.

Catherine
#16 of 130 Old 11-19-2009, 05:36 PM

Well, the OP calls for FUNNY stories, so that kind of nixes the spanking stuff. My worst moment didn't involve any spanking or anything I'm ashamed of but it wasn't really funny either (having to finish a shop with a toddler totally melting down in the shopping cart, and me at this point just ignoring her since I'd already tried everything else including NIP right in the store... boy, I got a lot of "what an awful parent you are" looks, lol).

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#17 of 130 Old 11-19-2009, 05:59 PM

Okay, I'm just going to admit mine, because at least I thought it was funny...and most of the people who saw us laughed!

My DD and I were at an event at a hotel that was a bit crowded. We had to keep going from one room to another, and navigating through the halls was no easy task. She was going through a phase where she didn't want to hold my hand but she didn't want to be held or worn...so we were both getting beyond frustrated with one another! Finally, I broke down and bought some french fries. I then walked around literally holding out the french fries to motivate her to walk towards me! So yeah, imagine watching a woman manuever through a crowd holding out a bunch of fries saying "follow the fries, honey!", while a toddler walks just always out of reach of the french fries! It was not my finest moment. But hey, it got us where we needed to be, and kept us sane and happy!

Sabrina loving wife to Nate , frazzled mom to Gabriella (1-23-07) and Robert (2-9-10) My bed and heart are overflowing!
#18 of 130 Old 11-19-2009, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Without knowing the context I must have looked like a crazy mama.

One day last week none of us had had much sleep, baby teething and preschool nightmares combined to create the awake-all-night from hell. When I'm sleep deprived I'm prone to lose my temper so I've developed a strategy of saying 'yes' as much as possible on those days, because it seems to keep me calm and makes the day more enjoyable.

So we went to the bank and they forgot to give DD a lollipop. Normally she can handle this disappointment, but after a night of nightmares and no sleep she cried like there was no tomorrow. To cheer her up I promised to buy her a lollipop at the store we were going to. When we got to the store they had no lollipops, so I bought her a different piece of candy. She didn't like it and fresh from the no-lollipop-at-the-bank-disappointment, she cried again. I spent a good ten minutes walking around the store with a wailing, whiney looking for the perfect piece of candy, saying over and over, 'don't worry honey, we'll find you some better candy.'

I'm sure the onlookers think I'll be having big problems during the teen years.

Mom to DD 7 and DS 5.
#19 of 130 Old 11-19-2009, 06:25 PM

The title of this used to be "worst" not most embarassing.

One of my favorite Abi moments

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy

So my dd, Abi, and I are in the grocery store. She wanted some cookies or something and I had said "NO" she was pretty tired and proceeded to throw a tantrum. I was kind of looking at her..amazed, dd is VERY good at hollering, I realized she was tired and it was partly my fault..I shouldn't have dragged her out while she was so tired.

So she is laying on the ground and yelling.

A COMPLETE stranger walks up to dd and says "Well, you just need a spanking now don't you??"

Abi stops screaming, looks at her and says "Suck it!"

I *might* have laughed..

I also *might* have bought the item she was screaming over.

Abi, learned that phrase from one of our friends who does not have children.

I have told that story here multiple times.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#20 of 130 Old 11-19-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
One of my favorite Abi moments

I have told that story here multiple times.
I love it!

Kidzaplenty, how on earth did you get your babe into the carseat without noticing?

Mine: So, we were at the library, and I'm helping my kids with something, my toddler tells me that her diaper is wet, I tell her that I'll take care of it as soon as I'm finished. So, after I'm done helping, I turn to my daughter, and she is naked from the waist down, holding her wet diaper, still in her pants, out towards me.

eta: I got so distracted by the naked/poop stories that I forgot that the title asks for "worst parenting moment"!

Oh jeez, I'm not sure I can find just one. I'll have to think about it...
#21 of 130 Old 11-19-2009, 06:38 PM

When ds was about 6 months we moved back to Canada & I wasn't quite used to all the extra steps needed to take him out in the colder weather yet. My MIL & I decided to go shopping with him & she insisted we take the stroller (another thing I wasn't used to doing). We got to this nice consignment shop & ds is SOAKED through (stupid sposies!). When I go to change him I realize I don't have an extra diaper ('cause I usually kept them in my sling which I wasn't using that day) or anything else. I had this naked baby & had to ask around in the store for an extra diaper & we had to buy an outfit to get him home in. I felt SO incompetent!

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#22 of 130 Old 11-19-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty View Post

Did the older brother not notice he was naked when he put the baby in the carseat? I bet that was awkard to walk into the office on a cold day with a naked baby!

I have to share one of my mom's stories. When my brother was three he was in a preschool with one of my dad's relatives. This little girl had a very, very strange name. So on the way to the end of year program my mom and dad were talking and my mom said "I can't believe your cousin named their little girl such a silly name. It sounds like something you would name a poodle not a child." Well after the program they were visiting and my brother pipes up and says "You have a silly name, it sounds like something you would name a poodle." My mom is horrified and says, "Jason, she has a beautiful name, don't say things like that" and of course Jason replies, "Well, that's not what you said in the car, you said it was silly." My mom wanted to die and learned her lesson about saying stuff around small children.

By the way the little girl grew up and legally changed her name because it is seriously a silly name.

Never jump into a pile of leaves with a wet sucker. - Linus
#23 of 130 Old 11-19-2009, 06:46 PM

LO and I (she was about 18 mo) went to one of those Q-doba type places, and of course she was greenish upon leaving....now dd was spitterupper in her infancy, and over time (with help from the dog) I got fasssst, like ninja-fast, at getting her positioned over the floor for the spitup with dog right there at the ready. So this learned instinct kicks in at the parking lot, and I have the kid held about a foot from the ground, and this man and his family stop their car and he says with a very concerned look on his face "do you need some help?????" and it took me all day to realize what on earth possessed him to ask that--I mean what parent needs help with a barfer? But then it dawned on me it probably looked like I dropped her or something!

SMC to dd 4/07.
#24 of 130 Old 11-19-2009, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

I changed the title of the thread to better reflect what we're going for.

#25 of 130 Old 11-19-2009, 07:21 PM

DS was maybe 18 months old and a RUNNER. A fast runner. How those little legs can move so fast I will never understand. We had just started using his harness/leash because he was done being worn, hated the stroller and wanted to explore.

Well, I went to turn just as he spotted something shiny and darted the other way - resulting in him snapping back and falling right at my feet. I'm sure it looked like I pulled him - to the older woman who came around the corner right as he fell and gave me a VERY dirty look.

That was our only mishap with the leash though.

___

Once at the grocery store DS was in the cart and a man with a full face beard (he has a thing about facial hair) came out of a door right by us and clearly startled DS. The kid screamed bloody murder. We had just started shopping. He calmed down right away but the rest of the trip everyone kept coming up to us "oh, was he the one who screamed? you could hear it through the entire store!" Yes, I know, thanks so much for pointing it out.

___

About 8 months ago DS started being able to climb into the car on his own. And, of course, insists on doing it BY MYSELF, NO HELP!!! Ok. So we're at the grocery store and I open the door so he can climb in and just as I turn to answer a question from the employee loading the groceries he slips and falls face first in the parking lot, right at my feet.
#26 of 130 Old 11-19-2009, 07:51 PM

Once, older DS, X-husband and I were at a restaurant. DS was about 18 monts or so, and half-way through dinner I realize he's going to puke. (He ate too fast, or something.) I pick him up to run to the bathroom, and I realize we'll never make it, he's going to BLOW, so I just hold out my free hand for him to puke in. Of course, my hand only held, say, the first wave, then it was just dripping down my hand and arm, onto my lap, the floor, the table, etc.

I thought I was going die. My xh just kept staring at me, like, "What are you going to do now to fix this?" LOL

Gross. Gross gross.

Mom, wife, full-time student.  And tired.  DH, DS#1 (9/99) and DS#2 (9/09), and 2 dogs.

#27 of 130 Old 11-19-2009, 08:39 PM
Banned

Sharon, my DD has texture issues and if she eats something that is the wrong texture and I can't get it out of her mouth fast enough, she'll puke into my hand. Last time was a couple of weeks ago when DD, DH and I went out for a nice dinner and she tried chicken. Did I mention she is a very tall 4 so most people think she is 5+? I am always so embarrassed when that happens.

Let's see. I'd have to say the time that DD was PT and she had an accident at a clothing store. I was tired and frustrated so I sent her and DH to the bathroom to change and DD ran off screaming, "DON'T HIT ME MOMMY, DON'T HIT ME DADDY". As if.
#28 of 130 Old 11-19-2009, 09:07 PM

I was in the restroom at the library and since my ds was a toddler, I'd taken him into the stall with me.

He chose the moment when my pants were around my ankles to demonstrate that he was able to unlatch the door. It was a stiff door that didn't swing shut, but stayed open. Let's just say the library patrons waiting their turn got an eyeful.
#29 of 130 Old 11-19-2009, 09:31 PM

I locked my keys and my child in the car once. Ugh it was horrible! Luckily it was not a hot day. DS was very young and could not get out of carseat lock to open the door. But the worst part was that DH’s truck wasn’t working so I had to call a friend to pick him up and drive to meet me with the spare key.

Waiting felt like 6 hours even though it was only 30 mins. Poor DS was crying on and off. I was so fearful that he thought I was punishing him. I kept saying over and over throught the glass "it's going to be ok. daddy is coming. i love you."

I was totally embarrassed trying to act like nothing was happening.

That day, I got my car key duplicated and keep the spare in my wallet. Luckily now DS is old enough to unlock the doors. I was completely mortified by this experience and told no one at the time. But now I share with other moms… a good reminder that we are all human.

Rhianna
#30 of 130 Old 11-19-2009, 09:43 PM

We've always used the correct terminology for body parts and dd was a VERY early talker. So in the crowded credit union, my toddler climbed on a chair, slipped and straddled it. And called out in a very loud, very clear voice "mommy, I hurt my vagina. Can you kiss it?" Um, no honey. Amid snickers (some understanding, some decidedly not), I remind her that that area is private...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page