Moms of Many DECEMBER - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 188 Old 12-01-2009, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It is December! Wow. I am dusting today so that I have space for decorations!!

Anyone drive a Chevy Express 12 passenger van?? If so, what do you think of it? I am going to look at one this weekend. With the baby, we will not have enough seats for my 5 and the 2-3 I take carpooling. I don't think double buckling is a good long-term plan! It actually gets better gas mileage, just slightly better, than a suburban, and they are cheaper too. I think we need at least 8 seats. Any other suggestions?? We are cringing at the gas mileage.

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#2 of 188 Old 12-01-2009, 06:44 PM

Hello December!

It is so cold here today. We had a heavy frost overnight and our central heating came on with the thermostat at just under 15 deg C.

I want to hide in bed and wrap myself in my duvet and not go out. I'm not excited about Christmas at all and feeling quite gloomy. Mainly because I have just realised that all the money I am likely to have before 24th December has almost totally been spent already on all our 1st of the month bills

Frida is being very difficult - is that a 3 thing? Headbutting and bashing us, throwing stuff about, being obtuse and stubborn at once and not going to bed whatever we do to encourage her. My patience is wearing thin.
#3 of 188 Old 12-01-2009, 07:37 PM

Yes.. it is a three thing. My three year old is acting like that too. Frustrating I know!!!

Yes it's December... My birthday is on the 24th. We shall see how it goes. I have put my foot down with my family and told them that Chrstimas is on the 25 from now on and I will never again allow my birthday to be cake on Chrstimas dinner.

Pickings are going to be slim for the kids too.. Glad to have that barbie I picked up at a buy one get one free sale several months ago. I decided she didn't need both and shoved one away. We have a few other things we bought on clearance and stashed around the house. So we have something for everyone.. but no one big good gift like last year. Well thats life I guess.
#4 of 188 Old 12-01-2009, 08:02 PM

Boy only a new month, but soon... A new year!

Christmas is dreadful for us, too. I am not surehow we might pull it off, but we just do the best we can. Thankfully my little baby will not care about not getting a gift.

-Tangy
Mama to Jon (14), Josh (12), Jack (5), Jamison (3), and Jocelyn (9 months)
#5 of 188 Old 12-01-2009, 08:14 PM

December, here at last! I can not believe that I can have a new little baby any day! I don't know if I would rather go on time, after Christmas or early. I guess we shall see!

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#6 of 188 Old 12-01-2009, 08:53 PM

So Jenny & Helen are both due this month...anyone else?

treehugger.gif Kat- mama to 6 little trees
#7 of 188 Old 12-01-2009, 09:28 PM

I am actually due very early Jan but don't really expect to make it that far. I have reached my "safe zone" as I am now 35wks. My OB wanted to induce me at 37wks due to my hypertention issues, but is generously "allowing" me to go as far a 39wks. So, since I am not one to conform to the doc's wishes willingly, I am not sure when I will deliver.

For now, I am keeping close track of my b/p and other such symptoms. But am thinking it may be in Baby's best interest to be nudged a bit sooner rather than later.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#8 of 188 Old 12-02-2009, 08:42 AM

I may cry if your baby is out before mine, Jenny. I'm at that special point in pregnancy where the contractions are hitting, strong enough to annoy but not strong enough to bring a baby out and the tears are falling faster than the pregnant woman in boots with no grip on a wet pavement.

Oh, and bizarrely, there is a long line of Quality Street leading from our front door up the street. Why, I do not know.

In other news, River is being difficult with bedtimes, Isaac is turning into a stroppy teenager, everyone is outgrowing their trousers and I'm too darned tired for words

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#9 of 188 Old 12-02-2009, 11:39 AM

Yea! December is here! My littlest turned 2 on Sunday...I'm in total shock as I'd hoped to be pregnant again before this happened. I would have really liked for her to have a sib close in age for her....still hoping one comes before she turns 3!
We are off to her new Ped for her 2yo check up. I'm a bit stressed about it since she hasn't had a wbv since she was 9mos. Just don't see the need---she's been my healthiest kid ever! (my only non-vaxed kid) hmmn? Anyway, we are seeing Dr. Carine, who I'm hoping has the sort of practice I'm looking for. Not that we ever really need to go to the doc, except for sport physicals....I just hate the idea of taking my perfectly healthy kid to the office exploding with sick people! Ha!
I got an email yesterday from a facebook friend trying to set up a get-together over the Holiday break with a few kids from gradeschool. Most of whom I haven't seen since 6th grade. I'd like to go...I'm sure it will be weird, at first, but I'd really like to see them all. Guess I'm still feeling displaced here in Ohio, so I'm needing that reconnection with my old hometown....
Good luck to you ladies ready for birth....I'll be looking for updates!

me-45, DH-46, ds1-23, ds2-18, dd1-17, dd2-14, dd3-4....hoping for #6.....

#10 of 188 Old 12-02-2009, 01:32 PM

Happy December!

I have my shopping done so now I need to prod my dh along. He buys each child their toy and his male relatives. Oh and something for my stocking.

I held a friend's baby yesterday...only 5 days old! So sweet and tiny. dh reeeeeeeeeeeeealy wants another. I'm still on the fence. There will probably be another, but it is just hard to contemplate that yet.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#11 of 188 Old 12-02-2009, 02:41 PM

Oh you preggo ladies are making me really want a little one!

I've got almost all the christmas shopping done and I just found out that one of my coworker's in-laws are coming over from England for christmas so I asked if they could bring some Kinder Eggs to put in the stockings...I really hope they can!

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#12 of 188 Old 12-02-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Oh you preggo ladies are making me really want a little one!
Me too!! But DH put a stop to that!
#13 of 188 Old 12-02-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I asked if they could bring some Kinder Eggs to put in the stockings...I really hope they can!
So as well as no Jaffa cakes and no Golden Syrup you also have no Kinder eggs?!? What is wrong with the world. I spend most trips to Waitrose telling my dds that they can't have a Kinder egg today.
#14 of 188 Old 12-02-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangefoot View Post
So as well as no Jaffa cakes and no Golden Syrup you also have no Kinder eggs?!? What is wrong with the world. I spend most trips to Waitrose telling my dds that they can't have a Kinder egg today.
I love exposing Americans to Kinder Eggs...they are my absolute favorite treat! When I lived in Norway, I ate them all the time. I had a whole bag full of the toys and sadly I lost it in one of my moves. My coworker just emailed me and said that his in-laws will bring some over! I don't know who will be more excited, me or the kids!

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#15 of 188 Old 12-02-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
Me too!! But DH put a stop to that!
Well nothing is final in our house but DH has said that he wants to wait many years before considering a child. By that point, if we do have one, I will probably have to be in the "only child" tribe because these kids will be grown!

#16 of 188 Old 12-02-2009, 07:08 PM

Well, I'm 30 weeks now, so far along enough to be super uncomfortable & unable to sleep at night, but not so far along that I'm able to see past that because labor will be soon. I'm hoping for some nice distractions this month.

Alder is hard at work trying to get through all of his second grade work by the 14th when Grammie comes so he can have a nice long 3 week break.

Husband has a broken hand so I'm crabby with getting less help around the house and being nearly solely responsible for poopy diapers. I swear Durian poops more than my other kids did at that age.

#17 of 188 Old 12-02-2009, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We're all doing well here. Starting to make friends in New York. Eagerly awaiting our week long visit to Baltimore, MD for Christmas.

The brakes on dh's van are acting up and we have to get it looked at tomorrow. Naturally, it's happening when we're living paycheck to paycheck and trying to recover from spending all our savings to move here. I'm praying the repair will be cheap.

I'm having a hard time with the idea of not spending money on Christmas gifts for people this year. Usually, we get things for friends and extended family, not just the kids, and we really can't this time. Any suggestions for something free or super cheap I can give?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#18 of 188 Old 12-03-2009, 01:13 AM

I think I missed most of November. Back to catch up...

Allison wife and mom to four. 

#19 of 188 Old 12-03-2009, 03:44 AM

Hello Mama's

I am just back from holidays, I really needed a break so I went down the coast for a few days tomy sister's weekender on the beach

I was feeling so stressed out which isn't good for the babies and now i am feeling much calmer and relaxed. I think swimming, walking along the beach, reading my book and generally doing nothing was just what I needed.

I feel very guilty for leaving DH and the kids

I am due next month at the end of Jan

Sam, mum to: Ian, James, Lottie, Maddy, Jack, Ruby, Bronte & Sophia and Nate
#20 of 188 Old 12-03-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
. Any suggestions for something free or super cheap I can give?
Do you bake? That's what I'm doing this year. We moved too and then we ended up sinking over a grand into a car that ended up needing an engine anyway, so we had to put more money down on a new car and make payments. Not fun. But it's hubby's work car and we blew through our savings with the move and the fixing, so we have to finance it. Blegh.

I've done Ball Jars with cookie mix and hot chocolate mixes in them before. Cookie trays all gifted up and loaves of really fancy breads. I don't know if people think I'm cheap, but it's supposed to be the thought, not the $$ spent.

(I still have no idea what I'm doing for the kids though. Probably not pay the gas bill this month and pick up a few things. )

nature and art loving homeschooling mom to a half-dozen little treasures.
#21 of 188 Old 12-03-2009, 10:32 AM

What skills do you have, phathui5?

Sam, do not feel one moment's guilt. Relaxing enough for three people is hard work.

OF, don't laugh. Ever tried to find one of the puppy backpack harnesses in this country for less than £15?

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#22 of 188 Old 12-03-2009, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

We are doing cookies for all our friends- we bake on Advent Sundays and freeze them until the last when we deliver them. I am also making small felt bird and mitten ornaments to tie on top of the cookies.

I did ALL of my shopping at our Waldorf school Winter Faire, which was amazing, and spent a little over $200 on my credit card. I know, I'm awful. But that's really almost all of it- just have to get one son a fishing pole and some arrows for his bow (they disappear!).

Oh, and I went to the yarn store yesterday and spent almost $100 on yarn and needles for handwarmers for DH, a cowl for my sister and baby hats for me and my SIL. My goodness! I can't wait until I have ALL the sizes of needles and don't have to buy a new pair for every project- I'm always like "well, I have the next size up..." but I don't want to mess it up. ugh. I love knitting though so it's fun to have my hands occupied with soft materials. I got the nicest silk and wool combo for the baby hats- I love it!

You know, even beautiful handmade cards can be a great gift, something to display as decoration for the holidays, that can be brought out again and again over the years. Collage? Painting? One time we glued a picture of our kids cut out sitting on a park bench in the middle of a piece of drawing paper and then we let each child draw in the rest of the picture- a park with trees, etc...and so they each did a third of the picture and it was so neat how they worked it out! We framed it and that was our gift to the grandparents.

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#23 of 188 Old 12-03-2009, 06:19 PM

I take inspiration from Williams-Sonoma for my holiday goodies. I make big batches of marshmallows, peppermint bark & loaves of pannetone. Why they charge as much as they do for those things I'll never understand!

I wish someone in my family would MAKE me something! Seriously, I would love it, and my sister crochets beautifully, but she always buys gifts.

#24 of 188 Old 12-04-2009, 04:26 PM

oooh...me too! I LOVE the homemade goodies and handmade gifts! I almost never get them anymore from anyone. I do get salsa from SIL every year, and cookies from neighbors........they are my favorites! I truly wish I was more creative and talented. I can crochet, but never finish my projects! I also used to make gift baskets for Christmas filled with small, inexpensive things like ornaments, candles, baked treats, etc. Just not feeling inspired like I used to, I guess! Now, we just give the absolutely WORST, impersonal gifts ever----gift cards! I know....but we get them free from hubby's "points", around $200-$300 worth, so we use them!

me-45, DH-46, ds1-23, ds2-18, dd1-17, dd2-14, dd3-4....hoping for #6.....

#25 of 188 Old 12-06-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Sam, do not feel one moment's guilt. Relaxing enough for three people is hard work.
Thanks Helen

#26 of 188 Old 12-06-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Oh my, I read this and I thought there for a second that I missed you being preggo with twins, Helen! But, then I realized you meant Sam.
And Sam, I did miss you're expecting twins though, I thought it was a singleton, congrats! Twins are amazing.

I wish I was pregnant, I can't believe our youngest is 4! (Besides the baby, but she's emergency care baby, not staying.)

We came through the month ok, little miss cotton ball button still struggling from the sepsis and mutli organ failure, no wonder, but I wish she would make a full recovery soon.
And we got through 4 kids' birthdays ok, everyone happy so that's good.
This month it's my birthday, heh, but that is not going to be celebrated. (Oh, the kids and my dear will probably make a fuss with cake, presents and such, but that's just nice.)

Anyway, jeeez, I can't believe it's december. I should probably fix the kids gifts soon, I have some ideas for all of them. My dear though, no idea! What are you all getting your SO's for christmas? I have to buy something, not crafty at all. And we don't really celebrate, so we don't get each other very big/expensive gifts, but something is always nice. He doesn't really need anything, and I'd like for him to not end up with the usual book-gift (which he loves, but still).

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#27 of 188 Old 12-06-2009, 09:53 PM

Hey all! I have been MIA but I have been MIA from most things sans Facebook. Good to "see" you all!

Sam~ congrats on the twins! They are hard work but fun. :
Pixie~
FJ and Jenny~ Can't wait to see your bundles! Not as much as you, though I bet

We're getting by. I am super stressed most of the time and trying to get myself to just go with the flow. I think I am expecting too much from myself.

DH was laid off because his company dissolved the department he was in. Thankfully they offered him other positions and kept his pay going until he got hired back on. He pretty much had a 3 week vacation but the stress was so much we got nothing done least of all relaxing. He's back at work the first day being today (so sad he has to work Sundays. We miss church now ) and he is working 4-10s with Thur-Sat off. I can't stand that schedule but ya know we're just so thankful he is employed!! :

Alrighty I need to get back to cleaning.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#28 of 188 Old 12-06-2009, 10:23 PM

DH is getting a nurf gun. Cause apparently no self respecting IT department should be without one.. and well we are strapped for cash this year. I already emailed a former co-worker to find out which one is preferred.
#29 of 188 Old 12-07-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiekisses View Post
And Sam, I did miss you're expecting twins though, I thought it was a singleton, congrats! Twins are amazing.
Thanks Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiekisses View Post
We came through the month ok, little miss cotton ball button still struggling from the sepsis and mutli organ failure, no wonder, but I wish she would make a full recovery soon.
for your little miss cotton ball button

#30 of 188 Old 12-07-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
Sam~ congrats on the twins! They are hard work but fun. :
Thanks Maggie

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page