Talking in their sleep?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 12-04-2009, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do your kids talk in their sleep? My daughter has woken up a few times having a nightmare where she says "I don't want to" repeatedly. She's not in a panic, just worried when she wakes up. It's happened twice, would this concern you?

Have your kids ever said weird things in their sleep?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 12-04-2009, 06:58 AM

My kids, or rather our dd does, normally going through what went on during the day, maybe expressing something she wasn't able to, that sort of thing, I used to talk and sing all the time in my sleep as a child, won't tell you what i would sing - lol

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .
#3 of 25 Old 12-04-2009, 09:06 AM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Yeah, my ds talks in his sleep. It's usually about an hour after he's fallen asleep. It just kind of like dreaming out loud.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#4 of 25 Old 12-04-2009, 09:15 AM

Dd and ds have both talked in their sleep. It's usually just mumbling, but a couple times they've said some really funny stuff. I talked in my sleep a few times as a child, and it was always something funny. If my child was talking in their sleep and sounding upset about something, I'd ask in the morning if they remember what they were dreaming about. I don't think it's anything to worry about, though.
#5 of 25 Old 12-04-2009, 09:41 AM

Dd, who will be 8 in a couple of months talks in her sleep quite often. She attends a language immersion school and I would say that 99% of the time she doesn't speak English in her sleep. It's probably something that happened in the classroom that is being triggered in a dream. A couple of times (she still co-sleeps) she has been very insistent when talking in her sleep and I've asked her during the day if something is going on at school. (According to her, no.) I don't think much of it, usually, though. I sleep talk and as a child slept walked, even dangerously. I was told that it's quite hereditary and that there is no need to worry about it.
#6 of 25 Old 12-04-2009, 10:26 AM

Yes, ds (2 1/2) does this...insert heavenly love voice here: "Thooomasss" He loves trains, lol! And last night, "Chocolate milk." His second favorite to Thomas, well and the boob
#7 of 25 Old 12-04-2009, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
My dd talks in her sleep all the time. I don't view it as something to worry about. If your dd has symptoms of abuse then I think you should worry, but not about talking in her sleep about not wanting to do something. There are multiple things kids are asked to do by parents, siblings, peers, and teachers that they really don't want to do so that alone shouldn't be a concern.
#8 of 25 Old 12-04-2009, 11:31 AM

My oldest talks in his sleep every night. He used to walk as well, but that hasn't happened for quite some time. I rarely understand what he's saying but he's always just talking so I'm not worried.

My 3 year old laughs in his sleep constantly. What I wouldn't give to see what he was dreaming about that is so funny.
#9 of 25 Old 12-04-2009, 11:44 AM

Unless she starts doing dangerous things during her dreams (like I heard of one guy who jumped out a second floor window), I wouldn't worry about it at all. When I'm anxious about something, I start talking in my sleep and acting out my dreams. I'll wake up and I"m trying to keep the ceiling from falling on me or something (we have dormers in our bedroom so the ceiling slants down over the bed).
#10 of 25 Old 12-04-2009, 12:35 PM

DS, almost 20 mos, talks in his sleep a lot. SOmetimes he sits up in bed as well. He is very mobile at night! We bedshare and I always think it is cute that he will say "ball!" in his sleep. I think he has said "bubble" before and maybe 1 other thing, but "ball" is most common. Can you tell what his favorite toy ever ever is?

goorganic.jpgwife to footinmouth.gif, currently WOH and geek.gif on my doctorate. (I'm dissertating!) We: novaxnocirc.giftoddler.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gif  with DS (4/09)!
#11 of 25 Old 12-04-2009, 01:02 PM

My son talks in his sleep, usually about whatever happened shortly before falling asleep . . . like if he was asking for a snack and told "no," he'll ask for the same snack in his sleep. One time, he counted to eight, and a few times, he's just said random things. It creeps me out, but only because it's so unexpected. He laughs in his sleep sometimes, too, but that makes me grin.

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
#12 of 25 Old 12-04-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessy1019 View Post
He laughs in his sleep sometimes, too, but that makes me grin.
My dd has laughed really hard in her sleep a few times. I love it! I'll ask her in the morning what she was dreaming about, but she can never remember.
#13 of 25 Old 12-04-2009, 01:10 PM

My two year old ds talks in his sleep almost every night. Most of the time, he's telling his sister to stop, but just the other night he said, "No mom, don't give it to Goodwill!"

I think I may have taken the decluttering too far.

Baking,, Chuck Taylor Wearing, , SAHMom of 2.
#14 of 25 Old 12-04-2009, 01:13 PM

My 3 yo DD does that; usually it's within an hour or 2 after going to bed. She will say "No, Dada" or "No Mama, I don't want to" and sometimes she will cry too. Generally it doesn't wake her up, though sometimes we will go to comfort her and have a conversation with her while I am certain she is asleep. I don't have any concerns about it. She's always with me and since she is 3 those are words I do tend to hear from her awake self on a regular basis too.
#15 of 25 Old 12-04-2009, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by olliepop View Post
My two year old ds talks in his sleep almost every night. Most of the time, he's telling his sister to stop, but just the other night he said, "No mom, don't give it to Goodwill!"

I think I may have taken the decluttering too far.
That's too funny!

My 4yo used to talk in his sleep nearly every night, and it was the cutest thing. "Ooooh, ice cream!" My 2yo is still pretty much nonverbal, but the other night I heard him mumbling, "chugga chugga choo choo!"

A, wife to R and mom to 3 boys: D~ 10/05, J~ 8/07, and B~ 12/09 and welcoming a new little one in May 2015
#16 of 25 Old 12-04-2009, 01:45 PM

My 4 yo talks like crazy in his sleep and says some funny things! Why I can't think of what he's said ATM, I don't know, but he makes DH and I (and DD when she hears) crack the heck up! Just random, silly things he talks about in his sleep.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#17 of 25 Old 12-04-2009, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I talk in my sleep a lot. dd talks in her sleep and has even sleep walked once or twice. That is eerie because she sort of makes sense until you realize that she's just not tracking anything you're saying.

I wouldn't worry. For me, I know I talk more in my sleep when I'm overtired or when I'm stressed. (I've been known to scream out in my sleep.) It's always associated with very vivid dreams for me, so I suspect that's what's going on my dd as well.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#18 of 25 Old 12-04-2009, 02:46 PM

My DD is almost 4 yrs old and she does this almost nightly. Mostly it sounds like she is fighting with her brother. It does startle me awake when she screams out of the blue.
#19 of 25 Old 12-04-2009, 03:19 PM
ssh

My 4 year talks in her sleep and will sometimes yell too. It happens during the first hour and a half of sleep. I just rub her back and tell her it's ok usually. Sometimes it's so quick she's back to sleeping soundly before there's time to react.
#20 of 25 Old 12-06-2009, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Hey everyone,
thanls for the feedback. She started it again the other night. She usually doesn't answer me when I ask her what she doesn't want to do, but last night she told me "I don't want to, I don't want to.....wear that dress." HAHA!
#21 of 25 Old 12-07-2009, 02:09 AM

my son does... hes 2, and last night he said car, lol. he just really started talking in the past month, but even before that, he would babble in his sleep.

i talk in my sleep quite often (and walk sometimes too) and his dad does too, but not as much as i do.

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#22 of 25 Old 12-07-2009, 02:38 AM

My 5 year old talks in her sleep several times a week and has since she learned to talk. It's usually some random set of words that make absolutley no sense. My almost 3 year old will do it occasionally to. According to my mother, I've talked in my sleep since I was a little baby and I know dh talks in his sleep every now and then.

Mama of three.

#23 of 25 Old 12-07-2009, 02:46 AM

DD talks in her sleep sometimes. I think it's cute. It usually doesn't sound like nightmares. When she was a toddles, she talked about not wanting to share toys with someone.

Now she usually just talks about something going on in the day or in a book she is reading.

She also meows in her sleep. She's been obsessed with cats ever since I can remember. One time when she was about 2-3, she rolled over to nurse and instead of saying "milkies" she said "meow." It was hilarious!

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#24 of 25 Old 12-07-2009, 05:06 AM

I suspect my six month old son will talk in his sleep in a year or two! He isn't speaking yet at his age, but he babbles and murmurs in his sleep now. My favorite is when he giggles in his sleep - it happens maybe once a week or so.
#25 of 25 Old 12-07-2009, 06:18 AM

Both my 2 year old and 4 year old talk in their sleep. Sometimes you can understand them, sometimes you can't. They're often complaining about something, saying 'no,' or fussing at us in their sleep. It always amuses me. It doesn't worry me - I'm far more worried that they'll start sleep walking, something that runs in my family. I slept walked right out of the back door of our house and about 1/2 an acre back into our yard when I was two (mom woke up hearing me crying, couldn't find me in the house and finally found me out by the chicken pen!) My mom also barely caught my sister when she was six or so sleep walking and in the midst of climbing out of her second story window. She was dreaming she was Wonder Woman

, , , and

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page