Hostility towards strollers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 182 Old 12-05-2009, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This thread is not what I intended it to be. I started it one night because I was upset after a person was nasty to me while I was at a festival with my family. A couple days prior I experienced something similar. I was upset and wanted to hear if this happened to other mothers. Some people were very supportive and made excellent points. I thank them.

Just to be clear, I don't have hostility towards strollers. I have experienced hostility towards my stroller.

If you haven't read the thread yet, I suggest you skip it. I hoped it would be removed.

I have boys! My first baby boy was born 10/08 and my second baby boy was born 7/12

#2 of 182 Old 12-05-2009, 11:34 PM

I find people to be both rude and nice.I get my mix of people letting the doors slam on me usually by teenagers or old people while trying to stroller inside a building.Hollister clothing store has gave me the evil eye by being a mom with a stroller in there store (there store is to strong with perfume anyhow)

Most of the time people are nice.

What rips me is stores not being stroller friendly.I get upset by shopping at shops that have racks ontop of each other or stuff in toddler reach lol.Not everyone has a nanny.My child thinks its fun to see what he can rip off the racks while strolling by. When I get him out of stroller I see a million clothes tags where he was sitting.
#3 of 182 Old 12-05-2009, 11:41 PM

I don't get that often, especially that I have a Maclaren single (doesn't take too much space). But I was in the mall recently with a friend who had a double stroller and as we were walking side by side down the main isle (not in a store) a lady mall walker told us as she went by 'single file ladies' in a very rude tone of voice! She had plenty of room to get by, so I don't know what her problem was. Grrrr.
#4 of 182 Old 12-05-2009, 11:41 PM

I'll admit, I have a problem with strollers. Too many of them are 'cadillacs' - huge things that have shocks and off-road tires that don't belong in stores. And parents are careless with them. I love children, but if there's a double stroller in the middle of the aisle of a crowded restroom, I'm going to curse the parents under my breath.

If more people used smaller strollers that were a single person wide and didn't take up a good portion of close areas, I don't think there'd be much of a problem with it. But it's the behemoths that make people groan - especially during the busy shopping season and the already crowded areas.
#5 of 182 Old 12-05-2009, 11:45 PM

It's not just strollers! Some people are just too rude and selfish to accomodate anyone else in a public place. I can't tell you the number of times people have shoved past me in a crowd when I'm wearing my son in the Moby wrap. It happened just today while shopping in a crowded store - a group of 3 college age kids cut right in front of me in an aisle, close enough they brushed my son. No "excuse me" or anything. The one that REALLY gets me is @$#% people in parking lots who zoom on by and don't yield to pedestrians. I'm always amazed - do they really need to get somewhere SO BADLY that they can't wait until I am done crossing their path with my son before driving past?

Anyways, sorry you're encountering this. I would totally hold the door for you if I could!
#6 of 182 Old 12-05-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
I'm always amazed - do they really need to get somewhere SO BADLY that they can't wait until I am done crossing their path with my son before driving past?
#7 of 182 Old 12-06-2009, 12:03 AM

I was just reading an article about this, about two months ago, and it really stuck with me. I wish I remembered where I found it.

The article was basically about how traditionally women aren't allowed to take up space, and the animosity towards women with strollers is all about that. How if people see a guy with a stroller, they think "aw, what an awesome dad taking his kid out!" but a woman with a stroller is "taking up too much space" or "entitled." Because women should be in the kitchen, out of sight, and children should be invisible.

I dunno, it kid of struck a chord with me. Some very good points were made, I thought. On the surface it was kind of weird, but the more I think about it, the more I think maybe there's something to it.

I also never understand when people complain about how big strollers are. Hasn't anyone seen an old-fashioned pram, the kind common right up to the 1970s? Those things were friggin TANKS. The animosity towards large strollers is 100% class-based.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#8 of 182 Old 12-06-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lach View Post
The animosity towards large strollers is 100% class-based.
interesting article, to be sure!
i will politely disagree with you on that last point though, i think the animosity toward large strollers is that they are large! they make navigating crowds difficult. there are lots of small strollers (umbrella strollers, for one that are cheap and aren't so huge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by April Dawn View Post
It's not just strollers! Some people are just too rude and selfish to accomodate anyone else in a public place. I can't tell you the number of times people have shoved past me in a crowd when I'm wearing my son in the Moby wrap.
true. but i also cant count how many times i have been bashed - not grazed, not bumped- bashed with a stroller. people in crowds sometimes use their stroller like a battering ram to get people out of their way.
not saying that glaring at a person with a stroller is ok, we could all use a little more compassion in our lives. maybe some of the hate comes from being bashed. (not saying you bash into people, OP!)

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#9 of 182 Old 12-06-2009, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMamacita View Post
i will politely disagree with you on that last point though, i think the animosity toward large strollers is that they are large! they make navigating crowds difficult. there are lots of small strollers (umbrella strollers, for one that are cheap and aren't so huge.
First of all, I want to say that I normally agree with everything that you say But I have to disagree with the umbrella stroller thing. When I was a Nanny I found it to be really uncomfortable. Maybe I am just too tall? I always had to hunch over to push it and the larger stroller was much more comfortable for me to use. It was fairly big but obviously I didn't buy it

ETA: Ours umbrella stroller did not adjust, so perhaps they make some that do, in which case, disreguard what I just said!

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#10 of 182 Old 12-06-2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyflakes View Post
First of all, I want to say that I normally agree with everything that you say But I have to disagree with the umbrella stroller thing. When I was a Nanny I found it to be really uncomfortable. Maybe I am just too tall? I always had to hunch over to push it and the larger stroller was much more comfortable for me to use. It was fairly big but obviously I didn't buy it

ETA: Ours umbrella stroller did not adjust, so perhaps they make some that do, in which case, disregard what I just said!
fair enough! i've never actually used an umbrella stroller, but i was just using that as an example of a small stroller that isn't super expensive. i still dont think that a bias against large strollers is class based.

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

#11 of 182 Old 12-06-2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
true. but i also cant count how many times i have been bashed - not grazed, not bumped- bashed with a stroller. people in crowds sometimes use their stroller like a battering ram to get people out of their way.
not saying that glaring at a person with a stroller is ok, we could all use a little more compassion in our lives. maybe some of the hate comes from being bashed. (not saying you bash into people, OP!)
I have to agree, this is all too common. The attitude of "get out of my way, I have a stroller, I take precedence over everyone else. Too bad about your shins..."
#12 of 182 Old 12-06-2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:

And they are pieces of crap. Every.. single.. umbrella stroller I have owned.. or family members have owned have had something funky happen to the front wheels so they don't work anymore within a matter of months.. sometimes weeks. I spend my whole time fighting with the stroller to go the direction I want becuase it will not steer anymore. I generally end up popping a wheely and my kids go around with the front wheels in the air. I hate those things and there is a reason they are cheap!!

However with my younger two kids.. after they grew out of being worn.. I have found decent smaller strollers that were not umbrella strollers. They still fit in the car... have cup holders, padding, and canopies that make a comfortable ride and do not take up too much space.

As for strollers not being able to get down isles cause stores have the racks too close. I have complied to a store before. Aren't they supposed to be handicap accessible? If I can't get a stroller down the isle how is a wheel chair going to get down the isle? I was shrugged at.

ETA: and I have never been rammed into by a stroller.
#13 of 182 Old 12-06-2009, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choli View Post
I have to agree, this is all too common. The attitude of "get out of my way, I have a stroller, I take precedence over everyone else. Too bad about your shins..."
you'd be lucky to hear "too bad about your shins!"

#14 of 182 Old 12-06-2009, 12:46 AM

I'll admit it. I'm a stroller hater too. Especially in places like Victoria's secret where there isn't really much room to walk.

Strollers have gotten massive over the last 15 years. They used to be easier to work around, but now it's not much smaller than pushing a full size shopping cart around the mall.

I'm not rude about it... but, I am annoyed.

Last night a woman had a giant stroller in Wal Mart... while also dragging a shopping cart and holding the baby (who was old enough to walk). THEN... she was parked next to my van, and put her cart behind my van while she unloaded her groceries into her car even though she knew I was trying to leave. It took a long time before she put the baby in the carseat........ then slowly folded her stroller up.........put it back in the trunk of her car......... then she moved her cart out of my way AND gave me a nasty look because I was in HER way. I have done that faster with four kids.
#15 of 182 Old 12-06-2009, 12:51 AM

If you want to experience stroller hostility try pushing the huge boxy double stroller at Disney (world -lands aren't bad) through crowded mainstreet.

and I agree that cheapie umbrella stroers are awful. We do have a nice, compact peg perego - but like maclarens they are $$$.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#16 of 182 Old 12-06-2009, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
And they are pieces of crap. Every.. single.. umbrella stroller I have owned.. or family members have owned have had something funky happen to the front wheels so they don't work anymore within a matter of months.. sometimes weeks. I spend my whole time fighting with the stroller to go the direction I want becuase it will not steer anymore. I generally end up popping a wheely and my kids go around with the front wheels in the air. I hate those things and there is a reason they are cheap!!
The only umbrella strollers that I've owned that were comfortable for me to push (I'm 5'6"ish) cost more than those nasty, plasticky travel systems that some people love.

Those cheap umbrella strollers are only comfortable to push if you're a short person going a short distance.

If I'm going to use a stroller, dang it, it's going to be comfortable for both my child, myself and DH to use.

Quote:
As for strollers not being able to get down isles cause stores have the racks too close. I have complied to a store before. Aren't they supposed to be handicap accessible? If I can't get a stroller down the isle how is a wheel chair going to get down the isle? I was shrugged at.
In some stores, the racks are so close that you can't get the darned carts between them, let alone a stroller or wheelchair.
#17 of 182 Old 12-06-2009, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikat View Post
I don't get that often, especially that I have a Maclaren single (doesn't take too much space). But I was in the mall recently with a friend who had a double stroller and as we were walking side by side down the main isle (not in a store) a lady mall walker told us as she went by 'single file ladies' in a very rude tone of voice! She had plenty of room to get by, so I don't know what her problem was. Grrrr.
I would have had to asked her if we were still in high school.
#18 of 182 Old 12-06-2009, 12:57 AM

I just have to say that I HATE driving a stroller!! LOL

It seems like ESPECIALLY the malls are a pain in the arse to drive stollers around.............

That being said I have never been glared at (don't get out much, LOL) and I have never been run over by a stoller. BOTH of those things would make me pretty upset.

I have been run over by store carts however............I guess that's another story

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

#19 of 182 Old 12-06-2009, 01:22 AM

I've never been rammed by a stroller either. That isn't to say that it doesn't happen, obviously, or that there aren't some really obnoxious people out there who happen to be mothers who happen to have children in strollers. But I think that there's a peculiar tendency for people to be eager about sharing their stories about obnoxious women with strollers, and then painting all mothers or even all women with that broad brush.

I mean, if I posted on this forum with a specific example that seemed to confirm a broader negative stereotype, I'm sure I'd be (rightfully) corrected by other posters, and perhaps even get into trouble with the mods. So why is it okay to hate on "large strollers" and use as the only evidence some anecdotes that are more about obnoxious people than about strollers?

I've been following the anti large-stroller trend with a lot of interest since it really started in full force about 5 years ago (back then it was 100% about the Bugaboo, now that there's a wider assortment of high end strollers it's expanded), and I really have to say that I think it's a subject heavily influenced by both misogyny and class. Both of which our culture supports criticizing, so people get away with perpetuating the stereotype of women with children in strollers as being bad females: taking up space, "entitled," and somehow automatically poor mothers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcommercial View Post
Last night a woman had a giant stroller in Wal Mart... while also dragging a shopping cart and holding the baby (who was old enough to walk). THEN... she was parked next to my van, and put her cart behind my van while she unloaded her groceries into her car even though she knew I was trying to leave. It took a long time before she put the baby in the carseat........ then slowly folded her stroller up.........put it back in the trunk of her car......... then she moved her cart out of my way AND gave me a nasty look because I was in HER way. I have done that faster with four kids.
Not to pick on you, because every anecdote in this thread and on every other message board I've ever read about this subject and in countless articles follows basically the same theme, so I'm just using it as an example. But while that is totally obnoxious (though I would like to say that it's very rare that I let my 2.5yo walk in a store like that, though she is more than capable of walking herself. And running. And picking things up off the shelf. And helping to rearrange the shelves.), that story doesn't really have much to do with strollers. It's just an obnoxious woman who happened to have a stroller.

Oh yeah, and another vote for umbrella strollers being awful. We have an expensive one at my parents', and have run through a string of cheap ones at our house, and they're uncomfortable and break easily. My parents were really enthusiastic about the real strollers we have, and went on at length about how when I was a baby all the strollers were awful umbrella strollers and they would have given their right arms for a stroller that was big enough to be comfortable to the kid and easy for the adult to push.
buko likes this.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#20 of 182 Old 12-06-2009, 01:23 AM

Quote:

ETA: and I have never been rammed into by a stroller.
I wonder that, too! If I can't get in there w/ my stroller, I darn sure couldn't get in w/a wheelchair or scooter!

We do have a large 3-tired stroller. Our city has many junky sidewalks, for one, and pushing anything less than an air-filled tire is a nightmare. Our stroller also converts into a double, so there is no way we are spending more than the staggering amount we spent on this (very much worth it) stroller we already own. We own one, the end. You are also able to store more things in a bigger stroller, like coats and bags. No way am I trying to push a usually crappy or overpriced umbrella stroller, carry my coat, diaper bag, and whatever I have purchased. It's just not practical, esp w/ more than one kid/baby in tow.

I have never been hit by a stroller, but I have hit many things! I am a bad navigator! I do apologize a lot, though! I always apologize when I bump into someone w/out a stroller, too. I try to be v polite, always saying, "Excuse us," when we are trying to get through

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#21 of 182 Old 12-06-2009, 01:26 AM

I'm pregnant with my first child, so no stroller experience yet, but I just thought I would chime in that people are also surprisingly unaccommodating to my big pregnant belly! I thought they would move out of the way to let me by in aisles, etc., at stores and so on - but I"m having to say "excuse me EXCUSE ME" multiple times and then somehow try to squeeze by... so I can only imagine strollers are much more difficult to navigate!
#22 of 182 Old 12-06-2009, 02:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I never used a stroller, but I have had more than one encounter with the beasts to have formed a great dislike of them. Actually, I don't dislike strollers, it's most of their owners that are annoying.

It irks me to no end the lack of courtesy shown to others by so many stroller-pushing parents at the zoos we've visited!

2, 3 or 4 women (it's mainly been women) pushing double-or-triple-wide strollers, while chatting, at a slow pace and taking up entire walkways on the grounds. I understand, the zoo IS a nice, quiet place to take the munchkins. But, please, think about the other people that are trying to pass you, while you chat with each other, side-by-side!

And, when the sign, at the entrance to an exhibit, says "Please, Park Strollers Here", DO IT! Those nocturnal exhibits are difficult enough without having our toes stubbed or run over by a stroller that isn't supposed to be in there in the first place (especially when Mommy lets the toddler do the pushing )

Quote:
What rips me is stores not being stroller friendly.I get upset by shopping at shops that have racks ontop of each other or stuff in toddler reach lol.Not everyone has a nanny.My child thinks its fun to see what he can rip off the racks while strolling by. When I get him out of stroller I see a million clothes tags where he was sitting.
Stores aren't meant to be stroller-friendly, nor are they supposed to be toddler-friendly. What does a nanny have to do with it? Stores are for selling products in a convenient manner, so that customers can help themselves to merchandise. Do you expect them to hang clothes so high that they are unreachable? Have everything behind a counter? "When I get him out of stroller I see a million clothes tags where he was sitting." Do you apologize to the clerks and offer to help them sort out which removed tag goes where??
#23 of 182 Old 12-06-2009, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamsmom98 View Post
\

Stores aren't meant to be stroller-friendly
Oh yes they are, because they should be wheelchair accessible, which happens to equal stroller-friendly as well.
#24 of 182 Old 12-06-2009, 02:24 AM

OH yes! Last winter I was car-less/license-less and had to get everywhere by bus. I was also pregnant and had many appts which at times were for around rush hour (despite my begging and trying to reschedule). One day a woman complained loudly about how it wasn't very smart of me to take a stroller on the bus at rush hour. I replied "What's your phone number? I'll call you and ask for permission the next time I need to go out."

Honestly? I think it's hostility aimed at mothers & children and general, not just strollers. But maybe I've become a bit jaded...I do get that same sense of people not wanting to see or hear children/families....it's sad and really used to get to me in my early days of motherhood. Now it's like water off a duck's back and I've stopped feeling like I have to apologize for "being in people's way"...me and my children deserve to be out and about just as much as anyone else.
#25 of 182 Old 12-06-2009, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyGrace View Post
I'll admit, I have a problem with strollers. Too many of them are 'cadillacs' - huge things that have shocks and off-road tires that don't belong in stores. And parents are careless with them. I love children, but if there's a double stroller in the middle of the aisle of a crowded restroom, I'm going to curse the parents under my breath.

If more people used smaller strollers that were a single person wide and didn't take up a good portion of close areas, I don't think there'd be much of a problem with it. But it's the behemoths that make people groan - especially during the busy shopping season and the already crowded areas.
And for many of us, it's not practical to have a lighter stroller. I'm in a really cold place and it was the larger stroller that allowed me to weather proof, have a carseat handy for if I needed to cab it back with groceries and space for the groceries themselves! We had no car so it was really the most practical thing for us.

For the two seconds it might take to get around someone with a "behemoth", especially someone who might be struggling with more than one child, is it really worthy of the glares and nastiness that some moms get?
#26 of 182 Old 12-06-2009, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamsmom98 View Post
I never used a stroller, but I have had more than one encounter with the beasts to have formed a great dislike of them. Actually, I don't dislike strollers, it's most of their owners that are annoying.

It irks me to no end the lack of courtesy shown to others by so many stroller-pushing parents at the zoos we've visited!

2, 3 or 4 women (it's mainly been women) pushing double-or-triple-wide strollers, while chatting, at a slow pace and taking up entire walkways on the grounds. I understand, the zoo IS a nice, quiet place to take the munchkins. But, please, think about the other people that are trying to pass you, while you chat with each other, side-by-side!

And, when the sign, at the entrance to an exhibit, says "Please, Park Strollers Here", DO IT! Those nocturnal exhibits are difficult enough without having our toes stubbed or run over by a stroller that isn't supposed to be in there in the first place (especially when Mommy lets the toddler do the pushing )

Stores aren't meant to be stroller-friendly, nor are they supposed to be toddler-friendly. What does a nanny have to do with it? Stores are for selling products in a convenient manner, so that customers can help themselves to merchandise. Do you expect them to hang clothes so high that they are unreachable? Have everything behind a counter? "When I get him out of stroller I see a million clothes tags where he was sitting." Do you apologize to the clerks and offer to help them sort out which removed tag goes where??
Yes, it is rude for parents to block the path of others but are you really expecting parents to leave their stroller outside and carry the stuff they have in it while helping their kids around? People have strollers so they don't have to lug everything around.

Stores may not be specifically designed to be stroller friendly but they should be accommodating for all their customers who may be in wheelchairs or be pushing strollers. If racks were further apart then kids wouldn't pull on tags and parents would be more likely to spend more time and money in a store. So many stores pack racks in so closely that you can't even push a small stroller through without getting the wheels caught.

The nanny comment has everything to do with this. Not everyone has a nanny, babysitter, friend, mother, etc. to watch their kids while they are doing shopping that needs to be done. If I didn't take my kids shopping with me we wouldn't have had food or clothes that fit for the year my husband was overseas. Not everyone can shop without kids and strollers make it possible to shop with them.

Several people have mentioned how large strollers are. It is annoying to have to get around large strollers but maybe that parent really does go on dirt paths or has some other need for a very large stroller. When my two older kids were both under 16 months I needed to use a double stroller to shop. I didn't have the money right away for a regular double stroller so I used the stroller kit that came with my double bike trailer. It was huge but it held a lot of stuff plus my kids and that was what I had to use. I did get some looks but when you are a parent you do what is best for your kids, even if it makes others less than comfortable.
#27 of 182 Old 12-06-2009, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elus0814 View Post

Several people have mentioned how large strollers are. It is annoying to have to get around large strollers but maybe that parent really does go on dirt paths or has some other need for a very large stroller. When my two older kids were both under 16 months I needed to use a double stroller to shop. I didn't have the money right away for a regular double stroller so I used the stroller kit that came with my double bike trailer. It was huge but it held a lot of stuff plus my kids and that was what I had to use. I did get some looks but when you are a parent you do what is best for your kids, even if it makes others less than comfortable.
Absolutely, what gets me is that even HERE somehow there is the expectation that a mother caring for her family should be putting the comfort/mild inconvenience of strangers first. IN this case it's about strollers, but it applies to having children in public places, nursing in public etc etc.
#28 of 182 Old 12-06-2009, 02:53 AM

If you have never had to use a stroller (Especially as a main mode of transportation - I recall many days walking to my neighborhood grocery store with two small children in a duoglider - b/c we needed milk) I wouldn't be so quick to be annoyed. I hate pushing a large, double-wide stroller myself b/c it is cumbersome and difficult - and luckily for me those days are gone - but no way was I going to not go to the store, or unload a bab and a toddler before going in to a public bathroom ( really, would I sit them on the floor so I could pee?)

as for the zoo thing, I suppose those sahm's should walk behind one another so their babies can't see each other and they can't socialize, even if that's the only adult conversation they've had in a long time. I can see how it might take up a lot of room, but come on. If you are a single 2 legged person (ie no stroller to push or child's hand to hold) is it really that difficult to weave in and out or speed up a bit to get by or pass the obnoxious stroller users?

See, I get being irrtated by having your foot ran over w/o a sincere apology - but parents pushing strollers have every right to take up space in public places. If it really annoys you, I would suggest staying home.

(my youngest is 2.5 and much prefers to walk so our stroller use is almost non-existent now, but having BTDT for several years, I would feel nothing but understanding when I saw a big akward stroller in my way.)

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#29 of 182 Old 12-06-2009, 03:00 AM
2xy

People who block whole aisles with their strollers would likely block them without strollers. Lots of people are just inconsiderate and oblivious to others. I work at a large mall, in a busy restaurant. (The people with big strollers are slightly less annoying to me than people who text while walking.)

My only real issue with big strollers is at work. Our restaurant is not set up to have strollers blocking aisles....it's considered a safety/fire hazard. So, strollers have to be left in a corner of the lobby or in the back hall near the rear exit. I simply don't understand why people in the parking garage load their baby up into a behemoth stroller just to walk the short distance into our establishment. Wouldn't it just be easier to carry the kid in?

Ugh...I just realized tomorrow is Sunday. There will be dozens of big strollers taking up half our waiting area at brunch.
#30 of 182 Old 12-06-2009, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elus0814 View Post
Yes, it is rude for parents to block the path of others but are you really expecting parents to leave their stroller outside and carry the stuff they have in it while helping their kids around? People have strollers so they don't have to lug everything around.
If there is a sign outside an exhibit that says "No strollers inside", then yeah...I do really expect parents to leave the stroller outside, or just skip that exhibit or work something else out. I used a backpack to carry my stuff, which I then put in the stroller. I suppose I had never considered that people would just toss their stuff directly into the stroller and not a bag first.

I have nothing against strollers per se, but they don't give people carte blanche to act like inconsiderate UA violations. I too have been rammed by strollers without even a word of apology (could have been more related to the fact that mom was blabbing on her cell phone than the stroller itself). I have seen someone block the entrance to an exhibit because she decided that her stroller was too important to leave outside but obviously was not thinking too hard so it got *stuck* in the turnstyle which pretty much prevented anyone from getting in for awhile except for people limber enough to climb up and over the other side. I have seen people sideswipe a store display and keep going.

But it's not the poor strollers' fault. I have a feeling that no matter what they use or don't use some people are just intentionally or unintentionally rude or clueless. And I'd still rather be hit by a stroller than run over by a shopping cart.

When my twins were infants and my older DD was 17 months, I had to use a freakin' triple stroller and NEVER rammed anyone, picked up things I knocked off shelves, and when we went to the zoo I did NOT ignore posted signs--so either we didn't go in certain areas OR...yep, I left it behind. So I guess I don't see any excuse for bad behavior while using a stroller. If klutzy me can navigate a triple, most people should be able to use a single politely.

Generally there are reasons why some exhibits/areas restrict strollers. Most of the time it's a volume thing. One stroller might not be so bad, but when you have 25 people thinking that they deserve an exception to the rule, then it kind of makes everything a pain in the butt, and only perpetuates the idea that "Oh look at that, yet another person who thinks that because they have a fancy XYZ stroller the rules don't apply to them."

I guess whatever notion I had that people would extend chivalry to me when they would see some poor mom trying to get her shopping done with newborn twins and a toddler under two vanished as people constantly let doors slam in my face, honked at me when I was taking too long breaking down the stroller and leaving my parking spot, ect. I do the best I can to extend courtesy and kindness to others, though.

I have yet to see a stroller that is wider than an adult manual wheelchair, so if a store's aisles are not wide enough to accomodate passage then yes, the store is in violation because they should know to keep their aisles clear. However, having been married to someone who uses a manual wheelchair--let's just say that most stores don't really give a fig about people who use wheelchairs either. :P

IME, it only takes one or two bad experiences for people to get grumpy about something, which is probably where the stroller hostility comes in. Maybe the OP and PPs have not seen it, but man, I have seen plenty of clueless and rude stroller users.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page