I need a natural sedative for DS five years old; x-posted in health/healing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-10-2009, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The chiro adjusted one side of DS's neck. Went to do the other side but DS was so shaken he wouldn't let him touch him. A few hours later, DS can't move neck at all...horrible pain. Called chiro. He said he needed to do the other side and will come in the morning.

I'm so worried about how we're going to get DS to let him adjust him. I'm hoping the idea of relieving the pain will be enough motivation to let him do it. But I'm wondering if there is a natural sedative we can use to calm him. Any ideas?

I'm asking here too because I'm hoping other mamas have had some experience with this...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyintraining2 View Post
The chiro adjusted one side of DS's neck. Went to do the other side but DS was so shaken he wouldn't let him touch him. A few hours later, DS can't move neck at all...horrible pain. Called chiro. He said he needed to do the other side and will come in the morning.

I'm so worried about how we're going to get DS to let him adjust him. I'm hoping the idea of relieving the pain will be enough motivation to let him do it. But I'm wondering if there is a natural sedative we can use to calm him. Any ideas?

I'm asking here too because I'm hoping other mamas have had some experience with this...
This probably isn't the answer you're looking for, but if my kid had horrible pain and couldn't move their neck after a chiro worked on him, I'd be heading to the pediatrician to see what was going on. Sounds like a muscle spasm or pinched nerve, but neck pain isn't anything to fool around with, and I'd be wary of making my kid return for more. His reaction of fear is normal given how he's feeling, and I would examine closely how traumatizing it might be to force a second visit.
Sorry-not exactly what you asked for, but I would be concerned,
Old 12-10-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:

That doesn't sound normal at all. I've been to a chiro, and never experienced lasting pain when she's worked on me asymmetrically. I'd be really hesitant to take the LO back. I'd be taking him to the pediatrician to see if there was any damage. Like a PP said, neck pain is nothing to fool around with.

Enjoying the adventure of NFL with my partner-in-crime , DD 03.09 , , &
Old 12-10-2009, 11:15 AM

I have to agree with the others. Between having a step FIL who's a chiro and putting my ex through chiro college, I can honestly say I've *never* heard of that as being normal. A little muscle soreness for a problem that's been there a while, sure, but not what you're describing! I'd be very concerned honestly and try ibuprofin or another muscle relaxer to see if that helps. After that, I'd probably look at finding a new chiro asap personally.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:52 PM

I agree with the pps.

My uncle is a chiro and has worked on me and the kids. I have also taken my son as a newborn to another with extensive pediatric experience.

Nothing they have done has ever been rough enough to cause pain, and certainly not the level you are speaking of. On the kids, the only thing that was used was the very gentle activator (the tool that taps and sounds like a stapler). Again, there is no way this could cause the problems you are describing.

I would be worried that my child was experiencing a broken bone or something just as serious. (I am hoping it's simply a muscle spasm, that can be quite painful too.) I would not go back to the chiro that did this.

I am wondering if there is more to the story? Did you child have an injury that the chiro was working on that would explain this reaction?

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:06 PM

This is not normal. You don't need a sedative, you need a doctor for your son. Please have him seen as soon as possible.

Trin.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:12 PM

Yes, I agree with PPs. The pain you are describing is a symptom of something much more serious than a bad alignment. I think the pain needs to be addressed by a doctor, not the same chiro who erroneously caused it. Don't let that chiro touch your son again! Listen to your son and his pain, not the chiro. Hugs to you and all the best of healing!

Artista , Writer:, Thinker , Yogi Guru and Mama to my small, but quite amazing family!
Old 12-10-2009, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Update:

I stayed up with him most of the night. We used hot/cold packs. He preferred cold. He has a head/chest cold, which is why I went for the adjustment in the first place. About 2AM, his congestion started clearing and he could move his neck more freely without pain. It got better and better.

DH and I discussed it and we feel strongly it was a muscle spasm, perhaps by not completing the adjustment as the chiro said and maybe the stress of it all. I also talked with my dad who has had hundreds of chiro adjustments to get his input. He said that it sounds like muscle spasm to him as well. He mentioned that during one back adjustment, the chiropractor pushed on his spine and he felt great pain and couldn't move. Then the chiro said, "I'll fix that", did another adjustment and the pain went away completely. So doing the one side and not the other seems to be a possible way to cause pain and immobilization.

DS has been pretty mobile this morning. A little stiff and sore. He wants to go back to complete the adjustment as we're wondering if he is still out.

Thank you too for all your input. I will update on what we learn about this.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:34 PM

I'm glad that your son is feeling better.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

So we decided to let DS go back to finish his adjustment, since he was willing and eager to do so, and because we truly felt the chiropractor was not at fault. He just wasn't able to finish his adjustment because DS wouldn't let him.

Yesterday, he was only able to do the second vertebrae. Apparently this is why his body responded the way it did. Today, as soon as he adjusted the first vertebrae, DS's pain instantly disappeared. He has been back to his energetic, cheerful and very mobile self ever since.

Crazy! I'm exhausted but so glad things worked out so well! I really do appreciate everyone's concern and suggestions. I, too, tend to err on the side of caution. And I definitely took all of your advice into serious consideration. Thank you!

Oh, and in response to my original question: we used Valerian!
Old 12-10-2009, 11:58 PM

I've experienced pain moving all over during adjustments and eventually going away after the chiro chases it around and gets everything lined up right. In the future definitely finish and tell the chiro if anything feels off at all, they need to know. I'm glad you went with your gut and that your little boy is feeling back to normal.

Krista; blessed mother to four earthly beings and three non-physical. Basking in my beautiful rainbow. 

Old 12-11-2009, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Oh, and in response to my original question: we used Valerian!
Hee hee. I was going to suggest Valerian when I just read the title of the question, and then got freaked out by your son;s symptoms.

So glad he is feeling better! Good goin', mama!

Artista , Writer:, Thinker , Yogi Guru and Mama to my small, but quite amazing family!
Old 12-11-2009, 02:30 AM

I don't understand why a 5 yo would need to be adjusted by a chiro? What does that have to do with a head cold? That sounds pretty dangerous, to me. Pain is an indication of something being wrong, right?

Mommy to kids

Old 12-21-2009, 08:18 PM

Now IM curious as my son is having a hard time with going in for dental work- How much valerian??
Old 12-21-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuamami View Post
I don't understand why a 5 yo would need to be adjusted by a chiro? What does that have to do with a head cold? That sounds pretty dangerous, to me. Pain is an indication of something being wrong, right?
Chiropractic frees up the nerves in the spine to be able to function at 100% which allows the body to heal itself and maintain a healthful homeostasis. Anyone's spine can move out of alignment from day to day due to normal everyday traumas and even just emotional stress. Birth is also an event which often causes subluxations.

My children need adjustments at least weekly to function at 100%. (They aren't getting them right now because we can't afford them, but that's another story.)

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Old 12-21-2009, 10:18 PM

General fyi- here's a good resource for finding a chiropractor who is properly certified for working on children: http://www.icpa4kids.org/locator/index.php
Old 12-22-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlestars17 View Post
Now IM curious as my son is having a hard time with going in for dental work- How much valerian??
Herbs for Kids has a valerian tincture that's pleasant tasting and has directions on the bottle.

OP-I have experienced the same thing with good Chiros, it's just the way my body responds. I was going to suggest valerian too, and I am very glad your son is feeling better!

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
Old 12-22-2009, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlestars17 View Post
The chiro gave him one dropperful in a little water. It seemed to help, although DS was very motivated to have the adjustment to ease his pain. I think it took about 10 minutes to kick in.

User Tag List