What is the worst/dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you about parenting stuff? V - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 1072 Old 11-04-2010, 04:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Regarding posts #461-463: I had my picture taken professionally two or three times, but had very little conscious memory of it. As an older teenager or a young adult, I looked at two of the pictures. In one, it looked like I'd been crying. In the other, I looked happy. I said, "In this one, I didn't like the man. In this one, I liked the lady." I had no conscious memory of the sex of the person. Mom looked at me in amazement and verified that the sexes of the photographers were indeed a man and a lady, just as I had said.

It shows me that our babies are definitely conscious, thinking individuals (I couldn't have been more than about two or three) and that child needs to be respected.
#482 of 1072 Old 11-04-2010, 04:32 AM

Hurry! Someone else add to this thread! I'm feeling self-conscious.
#483 of 1072 Old 11-04-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
I hope the teacher crushed those ideas. Pelvic issues (bones, fertility, who knows what all) are a LOT worse than bowed legs even if walking early had anything to do with bowed legs. If I saw a kid with bowed legs, I'd assume they'd been stuck in a jumper or walker for too long.It's like the people who say to turn the car seat to avoid broken legs.
Then you'd be assuming very wrong. My DS has bowed legs. They are actually getting better as he gets older but we never had a walker or jumper.
He's never been put in any type of contraption like that.

Sometimes kids just have bowed legs.

Mama to one 2 yr. old tornado banana.gif
#484 of 1072 Old 11-04-2010, 09:47 AM

Yep to Latte Mama above. My son has one bowed leg. I think it has more to do with how his little body was squished in the womb. He hated the jumperoo and the exersaucer, so it definitely wasn't caused by overuse. I brought it up to the doctor and she said bowed legs are very common and tend to correct themselves by age 2-3.

Mama to Sunshine (9/06), the Duke (4/09), and little chickadee (9/12).
#485 of 1072 Old 11-04-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Random_Phrase View Post
I went from a C at the beginning (pre-marriage) to a D at the end of weaning, even when I was skinnier than I'd been in my adult life (with F/EE in between, as mentioned above).
I went from a slightly small B pre-preg, to squarely a C post-nursing. I was probably a D for a while while nursing.

-----

My sister has bowed legs, and I think it was a nutritional issue. She also had horrible scoliosis that needed to be surgically corrected. She ate nothing but Hershey bars and Chips Ahoy cookies for a couple of years of her life, and that is what I think did it to her.

----

Re letting kids sit/stand/walk at an earlier than average age:

I was visiting MIL, and SIL's baby girl, about 4mo, was there that day because MIL was watching her.

MIL kept the baby laying down on her back on the couch all the time, and stood guard to make sure she didn't fall off. The poor little thing was craning her neck all around to try to see things. So I lifted her up and sat her on my lap, leaning back against me. Immediately MIL and FIL flipped out that I had to lay her back down immediately.

The next time I saw SIL and her boyfriend, I jokingly apologised for ruining their baby. They both laughed and rolled their eyes about it.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#486 of 1072 Old 11-04-2010, 12:42 PM

DH and I went out to eat on our anniversary one time and our waitress asked if we had kids, at the time we just had ds1. She told me how she has a child too and that "giving them one good slap solves all problems". I'm pretty sure my eyes got real wide and my mouth dropped. I couldn't believe someone had just said that to me. Yes, I'll slap my ADHD child with sensory issues, that'll sure do a world of good.

~Attatchment and Natural Parent from instincts not from books to my 2 boys~ Childbirth Educator & Placental Encapsulation Professional
homeschool.gif familybed2.gif homebirth.jpgribbonpb.gif
#487 of 1072 Old 11-04-2010, 01:53 PM

OMG - slapping any child...

This past weekend my parents had a party since my brother was visiting. 2 of their friends were there - and they are of the slap school of parenting. The first time DH and I met them (before we had kids) the guy bragged about punching his teenager. Needless to say, we don't like them at all.
Anyway, I had my 2 month old in a ring sling, and he was happy as a clam. The woman went up to my DH and told him "didn't she carry him for 9 months already? She'll spoil him." Later, DH was holding DS2 while he napped. The woman went up to him and said he was spoiling the baby.
I find it very interesting that she did not have the nerve to say any of that to my face. Perhaps she knew I would have told her what I thought about parenting advice from trashy abusive trainwrecks.

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10
#488 of 1072 Old 11-04-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen View Post
Nobody is allowed to carry a newborn out of our hospital. Even adoptive parents bringing their babies home have to use a wheelchair.
This is not always true. My friend carried ds out of the hospital in his carseat. I walked out beside them.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#489 of 1072 Old 11-04-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelpie545 View Post
This is not always true. My friend carried ds out of the hospital in his carseat. I walked out beside them.
That's why I wrote our.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#490 of 1072 Old 11-04-2010, 03:07 PM

I asked around, and everyone I know had to carry their child out in their bucket seat, after hospital staff checked that they had one.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#491 of 1072 Old 11-04-2010, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Preventing DD from standing early would have been impossible and cruel and unusual punishment. She stood from, like, day three. She was one of those strong-neck-and-spine babies that you have to tickle to get them to bend in the middle so you can buckle them into their carseats... if there was a circumstance in which she could be upright, she'd take it. Walked at twelve months. Her legs are fine.

My legs are... not bowed, but kind of wonky... and I attribute it to malnutrition (well, terrible nutrition) during my childhood. Makes me kind of angry with my mother, to be honest. She knew better, she just hated cooking.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#492 of 1072 Old 11-04-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post
I asked around, and everyone I know had to carry their child out in their bucket seat, after hospital staff checked that they had one.
Wow, that's stupid. We didn't have a bucket seat-- we have a convertible car seat that goes from newborn to Forward Facing. Didn't want to buy two seats only to have the baby outgrow the first one in the first year. What did they do if someone had a convertible car seat?

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#493 of 1072 Old 11-04-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly1101 View Post
Wow, that's stupid. We didn't have a bucket seat-- we have a convertible car seat that goes from newborn to Forward Facing. Didn't want to buy two seats only to have the baby outgrow the first one in the first year. What did they do if someone had a convertible car seat?
Panic!!!!

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#494 of 1072 Old 11-04-2010, 05:25 PM

Rotfl!

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#495 of 1072 Old 11-04-2010, 05:31 PM

yeah, lol, our hospital panicked! they tried to get us to bring the convertible upstairs, and i think they wanted us to carry him out in that, lol. After about a half hour, they realized what a convertible car seat was, and they just made me sit in the wheel chair and hold him while DH got the car, and nurse pushed me. I'm a little surprised that I'm STILL bitter about that, I wanted to be with my DH.

hijab.gif Childbirth Educating and Doula-ing wife toflowersforyou.gif , and mama to hammer.gif6/09. Story of my life:buddamomimg1.pngduh.gif knit.gifscared.gifsewmachine.gifdishes.gifcd.giftea6.gifread.gifsleepytime.gif

#496 of 1072 Old 11-04-2010, 06:49 PM
Banned

We had a convertible, too, and they just walked out with us to be sure we were putting her into a carseat, I guess. They didn't check the seat (and we finally got to our seat check-- I tried scheduling one weeks and weeks before DD was born, but the first appt was maybe a couple weeks to a month after she was born-- anyway, we found out it was not installed right/as well as it could be, so what did the hospital staff know, anyway?!). But the ILs were hovering all around anyway, so whatever, it was kind of nice the staff wanted to be sure we got settled in the car all right-- everything was so new! I agree that most of these rules are silly but then again, so are a lot of parents!
#497 of 1072 Old 11-04-2010, 11:08 PM

DD who is almost 6 had a neighbor friend over this evening and at one point asked her if she wanted some water. Her freind who is about 4 years old said "yes, the pepsi kind please" DD sat there trying to figure out what her friend was talking about for a few seconds until I explained to her friend that we don't have pop.

It's some kind of world that we live in today. Kids that don't know that water is for more than just bathing.
#498 of 1072 Old 11-04-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post
In one hospital, they gave out newborn carseats (they'd only fit the baby for about three months), as long as you signed that you'd give it back. I told them that I might be going back to southern AZ (several hundred miles away) and they let me take it anyway. I suppose they don't do that anymore.
#499 of 1072 Old 11-04-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyhulen View Post
DD who is almost 6 had a neighbor friend over this evening and at one point asked her if she wanted some water. Her freind who is about 4 years old said "yes, the pepsi kind please" DD sat there trying to figure out what her friend was talking about for a few seconds until I explained to her friend that we don't have pop.

It's some kind of world that we live in today. Kids that don't know that water is for more than just bathing.
One little girl (about three or four years old) hates to drink water. When someone asked her why, she said, "It makes me pee." (That's the same excuse xh used when I tried to get him to drink more than a cup of water a day.)
#500 of 1072 Old 11-04-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
One little girl (about three or four years old) hates to drink water. When someone asked her why, she said, "It makes me pee." (That's the same excuse xh used when I tried to get him to drink more than a cup of water a day.)
I've heard that come out of my mouth too though some days, you pee so much, you just don't want to deal with it again :roflmao

hijab.gif Childbirth Educating and Doula-ing wife toflowersforyou.gif , and mama to hammer.gif6/09. Story of my life:buddamomimg1.pngduh.gif knit.gifscared.gifsewmachine.gifdishes.gifcd.giftea6.gifread.gifsleepytime.gif

#501 of 1072 Old 11-05-2010, 12:10 AM

#502 of 1072 Old 11-05-2010, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm guilty of this But I'm pregnant so standing up makes me have to pee!

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#503 of 1072 Old 11-05-2010, 12:48 AM

ds takes a gymnastics class and parents watch through 1-way glass in a separate room. There is another mom with a newborn and a 2.5ish yr old. She never brings anything for the older one to do while her brother (5) is in the class.

The 2yr old hit the baby brother, mom SMACKS her hard on the hand and says "we dont hit. Why'd you do that? You hit him and I'll hit you back, we dont hit" And then looked at me as if she wanted me to agree on that. Um what?

Same 2yr old broke my nice, only pair of sunglasses and mom sneaked them back onto the chair next to me and didnt say anything to me.

Another one - I was talking to a lady Im doing some sewing for, and she mentioned how tiny my ds is. I told her he has food allergies that have affected his growth. She noticed that he had on a 'vegetarian' shirt and then commented that I should feed him meat and a lot of milk so that "he can get all the hormones he needs to grow, because they add hormones to those foods you know". Yep, I really want to pump my kid full of hormones. We dont eat meat and arent going to, and he is very allergic to milk!!!
#504 of 1072 Old 11-05-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyhulen View Post

That reminded me of a story my mom told me, a friend of hers was babysitting grandkids, and asked the 4-year-old boy what he wanted to have as a snack. He says solemnly "I'll take the high fructose corn syrup, please."

Apparently his mom doesn't allow him to have anything with HFCS, so he's convinced that it's something REALLY delicious

#505 of 1072 Old 11-05-2010, 01:01 PM

reminds me of a friend's kid who came into the kitchen after watching holiday-season TV commercials and exclaimed, "for Christmas I want... Batteries Not Included!!!"

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

#506 of 1072 Old 11-06-2010, 05:16 PM

This thread just helped me get through the past 2 slow days at work. Thank you all so much for the laughs, as well as the jaw-droppers.

Lay down in our mother's arms for here we can rest safely
#507 of 1072 Old 11-07-2010, 11:00 AM

A couple of years ago, there was a story about a needle left in the mothers' body inexplicably ending up in the baby's body. Don't ask me about it, I didn't read the story. So while my father was talking about it, I wondered out loud how that could happen.
My father solemnly says: "The umbilical cord."
Me: (suppressing a giggle) "What? How would a needle pass through the umbilical cord?"
Father: "In the mush."
Me: "What mush?"
Father: "The mush that passes from the mother's body, through the umbilical cord, to feed the baby."
Me: Dying with laughter. Then I explained to him what a placenta is and how it works. He could not believe that there wasn't actual food feeding the baby.
#508 of 1072 Old 11-08-2010, 04:49 AM

My friend told me I need to make my girl as fat as possible before she's two because that's when you make all your fat cells. If she gets real fat she is destined to be thin then afterwards all her life because she'll have all these fat burning cells. She's real thin at 18 months and has 2 fat parents. I guess she's destined to be fat because I'm not feeding her enough donuts now?
#509 of 1072 Old 11-08-2010, 05:16 AM

So I was on the phone recently complaining to my sister about something my mainstream SIL did to me recently (told me I needed to use a blanket to cover up or go somewhere else to nurse my 11 m/o because her kids were staring and they were "too old to see this" now and they were "learning about privacy". Her oldest is 7.)
I usually find an ally in my sister because my SIL has rubbed us both the wrong way several times in the past. But this time she told me she had to agree with SIL. She told me that she would NEVER allow her 4 year old to see me nursing my baby because he would be traumatized and wouldn't know what was going on and wouldn't be able to get that image out of his head.
She then informed me that any child older than 2 should not be allowed to see that sort of thing.

I don't see myself having any kind of meaningful conversation with her any time soon...
#510 of 1072 Old 11-08-2010, 05:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Yipes. I mean, I guess I can see a four-year-old being puzzled about breastfeeding if he'd never seen it before. But wouldn't a simple conversation about how mummies make milk and babies can drink from their breasts... you know... fix the issue?

I guess she must think traditional cultures are full of pretty screwed-up adults... I mean, those kids would have seen breastfeeding SEVERAL TIMES A DAY throughout their entire childhoods and beyond! They should all be gibbering in asylums, tormented by images of lactating breasts!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page