What is the worst/dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you about parenting stuff? V - Page 21 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#601 of 1072 Old 01-06-2011, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaWantsOut View Post

And back on topic, my MIL told me that it's anti-feminist of me not to circumcise my baby,

My brains are in pain.... Isn't the point of feminism equality? Like, evidently I am a feminist because I don't think men are better just for being men. soooo logically, if you circ your boys for the sake of cervixes, you should circ your girls too? But female circ is for sure not feministic, so, have I created a paradox?

That should be the test of parenting advice, does it create a paradox? yes=crappy advice

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#602 of 1072 Old 01-06-2011, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:

And besides, Who is a stranger to tell me how many kids I want???  I get those comments all the time when people find out I want a big family.  And perfect strangers say things like that in front of my kids!  How rude! 

Absolutely.

I forgot the worst of those types of comments.  It was so long ago, before I even had kids.  I babysat for a mom with triplets, and we were chatting and I mentioned my hope for a large family.  She discouraged me strongly, saying "Well, now, you don't want to become like Andrea Yates, do you?".

jaw2.gif

#603 of 1072 Old 01-06-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaWantsOut View Post

Um, yeah, trans fats are fine for younger people, because everyone knows until you hit 30 your youthful stomach acid magically turns anything you eat into organic, grass-fed unicorn meat and rainbows, the healthiest things in the universe!

THIS MADE ME LAUGH SO HARD!!!!!! ROTFLMAO.gif

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#604 of 1072 Old 02-03-2011, 04:59 AM

Overheard at the mall recently: "She has to have a C-section. Her pelvis is too small. Her first baby went into distress and that's how they know that her pelvis is way too small, even though the baby was only 6 pounds!"

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#605 of 1072 Old 02-03-2011, 07:23 AM

My baby likes to grunt when he stretches, sometimes he sounds like a grown man.

My MIL insisted that it's not normal and said that we should feed him a raw egg to "cure him". jaw2.gif

When I gave birth she came to visit me at the hospital and saw me brush my hair. She screamed at me "It's bad to brush your hair if you want to breastfeed!" yikes2.gif

Soon to be family of three.
#606 of 1072 Old 02-03-2011, 09:44 AM

Wow, those two take the cake for making the least sense!!  :scratch

She's otherwise, um, sensible?!?

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

#607 of 1072 Old 02-04-2011, 04:13 AM

This is not specifically a parenting thing but a pregnancy thing. About a month ago, I stretched my arms out at work and a colleague started yelling at me that I shouldn't do that while pregnant because the baby might flip. I'm still scratching my head over that - the baby is constantly moving in there anyway! I was 18 weeks pregnant then, so it's not like I was about to give birth or something.

Do people just hear random things and then parrot them without actually stopping to consider whether they make sense?

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

#608 of 1072 Old 02-04-2011, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake777 View Post

Do people just hear random things and then parrot them without actually stopping to consider whether they make sense?

She was probably told it from her mother...who was told it from HER mother...who was told it from HER mother...etc

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#609 of 1072 Old 02-04-2011, 08:12 AM

I don't know if I already posted this, BUT, a pediatrician told me (remember, doctors do not have any training in parenting or child development, but love to give parenting advice, that advice is just their opinion, not a professional one) to move the baby's crib in to the closet or bathroom (I told her his crib was in our room and we did not have a different room for him) and to shut the door and refuse to go to him no matter how much he cries, for 8 hrs. Show him who the boss is!! Uugghhh...horrified that some innocent parent who does not know better may have gotten her parenting advice at some point and followed it.

#610 of 1072 Old 02-04-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa1970 View Post

I don't know if I already posted this, BUT, a pediatrician told me (remember, doctors do not have any training in parenting or child development, but love to give parenting advice, that advice is just their opinion, not a professional one) to move the baby's crib in to the closet or bathroom (I told her his crib was in our room and we did not have a different room for him) and to shut the door and refuse to go to him no matter how much he cries, for 8 hrs. Show him who the boss is!! Uugghhh...horrified that some innocent parent who does not know better may have gotten her parenting advice at some point and followed it.

Yes, our former pediatrician told us that the solution to DS's incredibly frequent feeding at 6 weeks old was to let him cry for an hour between nursing sessions. greensad.gif And we sort of believed him... Obviously we didn't just let him cry but we spent almost a week trying to get him to go this magical 'hour between nursing sessions' before we realized it really wasn't a good solution. duh.gif I still have regrets over trying to follow that 'advice' to some extent. What I NEEDED to hear from him was that nursing as frequently as my DS nursed could actually be normal (even if it's not necessarily common, at least not in the US)... mecry.gif

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#611 of 1072 Old 02-04-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post

Yes, our former pediatrician told us that the solution to DS's incredibly frequent feeding at 6 weeks old was to let him cry for an hour between nursing sessions. greensad.gif And we sort of believed him... Obviously we didn't just let him cry but we spent almost a week trying to get him to go this magical 'hour between nursing sessions' before we realized it really wasn't a good solution. duh.gif I still have regrets over trying to follow that 'advice' to some extent. What I NEEDED to hear from him was that nursing as frequently as my DS nursed could actually be normal (even if it's not necessarily common, at least not in the US)... mecry.gif

hug.gif Those types of regrets are hard on the heart!

Kali (pka Michelle) ~ crunchy wife to Cory (09/06) ~ Mama to H (03/90) & I (06/92)--bothnocirc.gifbf.jpg BF for 35 consecutive months ~ angel1.gif x 4

#612 of 1072 Old 02-04-2011, 04:55 PM

Visiting a friend in L & D the other day, the PP nurse came in to check on how nursing was going and told the mom that she would most likely need to give a bottle if her milk didn't come in within the day (she gave birth at 10:30 a.m. and it was 2 p.m.) because colostrum wouldn't be enough for her tiny baby (he was 6 lbs even.)

The worst part for me was after the nurse left and I tried to tell my friend what a pile of B.S. that was, her DH said "these people have degrees in medicine, you don't."

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#613 of 1072 Old 02-05-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KempsMama View Post

Visiting a friend in L & D the other day, the PP nurse came in to check on how nursing was going and told the mom that she would most likely need to give a bottle if her milk didn't come in within the day (she gave birth at 10:30 a.m. and it was 2 p.m.) because colostrum wouldn't be enough for her tiny baby (he was 6 lbs even.)

The worst part for me was after the nurse left and I tried to tell my friend what a pile of B.S. that was, her DH said "these people have degrees in medicine, you don't."

"Does that mean they're allowed to LIE to new mothers? That nurse might have a degree in medicine, but it's obvious she slept through her class on lactation--IF she even took one. Would you let a podiatrist give you heart surgery? That's what you're doing to your baby when you take breastfeeding advice from anyone but an international board certified lactation consultant. Personally, I prefer to consult EXPERTS."

KempsMama likes this.
#614 of 1072 Old 02-05-2011, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianwen1174 View Post

Quote:

hug.gif Those types of regrets are hard on the heart!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa1970 View Post

Along these lines, my SIL's pediatrician said that her 12 month old has developed long term memory and that she can no longer get her at night if she cries.  "That means," he said, "that even if she throws up, you are not to go in her room until morning.  Otherwise, she will learn to make herself throw up."  Um,     seriously ??? This  guy went to Medical school???  To treat  Children??? 

Honestly, if it wasn't for Mothering and MDC, I would feel like my husband and I were the only ones who believed in responding to your baby's every NEED as QUICKLY and BEST you can!

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

#615 of 1072 Old 02-05-2011, 02:38 PM

When I was a teenager high waisted dresses were in style. I was about 13 when an older lady at our church told my mom that I shouldn't be allowed to wear them because I was encouraging teen pregnancy. Surprisingly enough none of the other teens nor myself got pregnant until much much later!
#616 of 1072 Old 02-05-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-mac View Post

When I was a teenager high waisted dresses were in style. I was about 13 when an older lady at our church told my mom that I shouldn't be allowed to wear them because I was encouraging teen pregnancy. Surprisingly enough none of the other teens nor myself got pregnant until much much later!

When I was a teen, I refused to wear those high waisted dresses because they made me look pregnant. Still don't like what that style dress does to my stomach. They are super cute on everyone I've seen wearing them though.

The first thing I bought when I got pregnant was a cute maternity top with a high waist line that really emphasized my belly.

#617 of 1072 Old 02-05-2011, 10:21 PM

My 10 month old has started throwing little fits when he gets frustrated- they are actually really cute and funny but he's obviously mad. I was telling a friend about them and she asked if we'd started disciplining him yet.

Uhhh, he's 10 MONTHS OLD! Crying and fussing are the only ways he can show his feelings and we should discipline him for showing feelings? I hope she just didn't think before she asked that one!

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

#618 of 1072 Old 02-06-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinggreengirl View Post

My 10 month old has started throwing little fits when he gets frustrated- they are actually really cute and funny but he's obviously mad. I was telling a friend about them and she asked if we'd started disciplining him yet.

Uhhh, he's 10 MONTHS OLD! Crying and fussing are the only ways he can show his feelings and we should discipline him for showing feelings? I hope she just didn't think before she asked that one!

I don't know, she might have meant something totally different.  Showing feelings is great, and responding to it is also great, but responding in a way to just get them to be quiet is not - so maybe she meant to say that when he does throw a tantrum you shouldn't give in to what he wants?  I mean, my ds used to do that when he was that age, over things like scissors.  Obviously, at 10mo he waasn't capable of safely having scissors - so he got to throw his tantrum and I got to say "no, they are not safe" and then be empathetic while riding out the tantrum - which is a form of "discipline" b/c it teaches him that throwing a tantrum doesn't get him what he wants all the time.  Not all people use the word discipline in the negative sense of actually doing something to discipline, but rather as a teaching tool.

Ok, now that I'm sure I completely screwed that up and it makes no sense, I also thought the tantrums were cute at that age, lol.  Then he got bigger, and the tantrums got worse, LOL.

#619 of 1072 Old 02-06-2011, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super~Single~Mama View Post

Quote:

I don't know, she might have meant something totally different.  Showing feelings is great, and responding to it is also great, but responding in a way to just get them to be quiet is not - so maybe she meant to say that when he does throw a tantrum you shouldn't give in to what he wants?  I mean, my ds used to do that when he was that age, over things like scissors.  Obviously, at 10mo he waasn't capable of safely having scissors - so he got to throw his tantrum and I got to say "no, they are not safe" and then be empathetic while riding out the tantrum - which is a form of "discipline" b/c it teaches him that throwing a tantrum doesn't get him what he wants all the time.  Not all people use the word discipline in the negative sense of actually doing something to discipline, but rather as a teaching tool.

Ok, now that I'm sure I completely screwed that up and it makes no sense, I also thought the tantrums were cute at that age, lol.  Then he got bigger, and the tantrums got worse, LOL.

Discipline at that age can mean saying, "That kind of behavior is not appropriate in public." when he throws a fit at the store or something...not necessarily punishment.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#620 of 1072 Old 02-06-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post

Quote:

Quote:

Discipline at that age can mean saying, "That kind of behavior is not appropriate in public." when he throws a fit at the store or something...not necessarily punishment.

Ok, you said it WAY better than me!  Wow my brain wasn't working earlier!  LOL

#621 of 1072 Old 02-07-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

True... but in the context of other discussions we've had, I don't think that's what she meant. Also, to clarify his tantrums- he throws most of them when his toy isn't doing what he wants (whatever that is.) When he wants the computer or the camera or to pull electrical plugs out of the wall and throws a fit, we do tell him he can't have it and I don't often laugh at the tantrum that follows that.

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

#622 of 1072 Old 02-07-2011, 12:49 PM

My mom complains I spend too much time with baby and not enough cleaning my house.

Well, a few days ago she complained my step-sister-in-law cleans her house too much and spends too little time with her baby.

I figure with my mom you can't win for losing. And my house will be clean once the children move out, I cannot go back in time and cuddle a sleeping 10 month old.

RoamingWidgeteer likes this.

I was off to save the world, but I got distracted by something shiny.
#623 of 1072 Old 02-07-2011, 04:16 PM

Yesterday at work my coworker was saying that she woudl probably need a c section because her baby is breech at 7 months. I was telling her about how spending time on yur hands and knees can encourage the baby to turn (it worked for me) and the Webster technique and all that and another coworker goes, "that sounds too easy. not medical enough. I wouldn't do it." ay yay yay.......

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#624 of 1072 Old 02-07-2011, 04:34 PM

Along the lines of scratching your head while PG, when I was PG with DS someone (I can't remember who) told me I shouldn't drive a 5spd car because I would wrap the cord around his neck. People get strange things in their head and just have to share I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramlita View Post

Wow, those two take the cake for making the least sense!!  :scratch

She's otherwise, um, sensible?!?

I love your Avi :) I'm a huge Hyperbole and a half fan :)

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#625 of 1072 Old 02-09-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

True... but in the context of other discussions we've had, I don't think that's what she meant. Also, to clarify his tantrums- he throws most of them when his toy isn't doing what he wants (whatever that is.) When he wants the computer or the camera or to pull electrical plugs out of the wall and throws a fit, we do tell him he can't have it and I don't often laugh at the tantrum that follows that.

I DO find that most people mean discipline in the sense of "get the child to stop making the display of emotion".  Most people don't seem to grasp the concept that having and showing emotions are ok.  Most people are afraid of emotions, and act in a way that passes that fear onto the child.  My husband has a lot of trouble with this concept.  

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#626 of 1072 Old 02-09-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post

I DO find that most people mean discipline in the sense of "get the child to stop making the display of emotion".  Most people don't seem to grasp the concept that having and showing emotions are ok.  Most people are afraid of emotions, and act in a way that passes that fear onto the child.  My husband has a lot of trouble with this concept.  

Maybe I run in weird circles, but I've never met a parent who has disciplined a child under a year in the sense of trying to scare them.  At least not intentionally, I mean I've had some moments of serious frustration, but I've never thought to myself, "I need to scare him out of expressing emotion" and I don't know any parents that do think that.

#627 of 1072 Old 02-10-2011, 06:45 AM

I don't think it is conscious.  I mean that the adults themselves are afraid of expressions of emotions.  When a child tantrums, they are desperate to stop it, and that conveys to the child that their large emotions are inherently frightening.  

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#628 of 1072 Old 02-10-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:

I don't think it is conscious.  I mean that the adults themselves are afraid of expressions of emotions.  When a child tantrums, they are desperate to stop it, and that conveys to the child that their large emotions are inherently frightening.  

Yeah, I still disagree.  The only person that reacts that way to my ds's tantrums is a woman is highly emotionally unstable.  Everyone else is fine with ds screaming over something he wants but can't have, and will just say, "sorry sweetie, the scissors are dangerous.  do you want some cuddles to help you calm down?"

Other parents I know are much more like that as well.

#629 of 1072 Old 02-10-2011, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, I still disagree.  The only person that reacts that way to my ds's tantrums is a woman is highly emotionally unstable.  Everyone else is fine with ds screaming over something he wants but can't have, and will just say, "sorry sweetie, the scissors are dangerous.  do you want some cuddles to help you calm down?"

Other parents I know are much more like that as well.

When I want to stop my DS's meltdowns it's usually because I'm frustrated...or he's going to wake the baby I just spent hours trying to get down for a nap. It isn't about stopping HIS emotions, it's more about being at the end of mine.

#630 of 1072 Old 02-10-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:

When I want to stop my DS's meltdowns it's usually because I'm frustrated...or he's going to wake the baby I just spent hours trying to get down for a nap. It isn't about stopping HIS emotions, it's more about being at the end of mine.

Yeah, that happens to me too.  Sometimes I just have to walk away and calm down for a few!  It does get frustrating.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page