What is the worst/dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you about parenting stuff? V - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-10-2010, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
A. Diet sodas don’t have calories, although some sweeteners can still generate a small insulin response. So, on balance, diet sodas are better than sugared ones, if you like percolating chemicals through your bloodstream. Sweetened coffees or teas are no better than soda, as they still generate an insulin response, and they are sweetened with sucrose (which is half fructose, which is bad for your liver). My question to you is, why do you need sweet drinks at all? What’s wrong with water? The human race had no sweet drinks until 1915, when Coca-Cola went national. Until then, we had water and milk, and we did just fine, thank you. Juice was invented in the 1950s. We didn’t have obesity in the first half of the 20th century. But we have seen both soft drinks and juice sales rise astronomically, at the same time the obesity epidemic started to build. There is some suggestion that the earlier you expose an infant to “sweet”, the more likely they will crave it later. We need to get America off its “sweet habit”. Water has everything you need, and nothing you don’t. And it’s cheap.
He could have saved all that and just said, "I'm enlightened and you're stupid." Seriously, it sounds very condescending. (Orange juice was invented in 1919 and cranberry juice in 1683, so I'm not sure that I find him very credible.) Heck, Jesus was drinking wine back in the day, and that is just fermented grapes, a sweet drink. Fact is, no one knows exactly what caused the obesity epidemic. There are a lot of theories out there.

I have a very hard time believing that 100% fruit juice is just as bad as soda. By his argument, we probably shouldn't be eating fruit at all, if fructose is that terrible for us.

Of course, if I were to drink huge glasses of juice every day, that would probably not be good for me. But I don't believe that 100% fruit juice, in moderation, is bad, and in fact, I do believe it's healthy.

sorry!

Mama to learning.gifJulian Matthew, born 5/10/2011 nocirc.gif  

Hopeful vbac.gif for the next!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2010, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne1140 View Post
He could have saved all that and just said, "I'm enlightened and you're stupid." Seriously, it sounds very condescending. (Orange juice was invented in 1919 and cranberry juice in 1683, so I'm not sure that I find him very credible.) Heck, Jesus was drinking wine back in the day, and that is just fermented grapes, a sweet drink. Fact is, no one knows exactly what caused the obesity epidemic. There are a lot of theories out there.
that it's , I want to play.

Cranberry juice--not sweet to the same level. Ditto wine. Plus, fermentation has been shown for whatever reason to make grains and legumes easier to digest, so maybe it also helps with sugar?

Before you could just buy a bottle in the store, how many people were going to go to the effort of squeezing juice instead of just eating the fruit?

Also, in a glass of orange juice, which is easy to drink, you've got all the sugars of like 4-5 oranges. Whereas in one orange, which is quite filling, you only have the sugar of one orange plus the fiber and such. A juicer that blended the whole fruit could help with that, but chewing triggers a fullness feeling so you eat less of a fruit than you'd drink even if you're drinking the whole fruit.

look at the obese people of the past, rich people who didn't play sports. The obesity epidemic is because we're blessed with abundant cheap food and modern conveniences.

And I do totally agree with your first line.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joynsyde View Post
The funniest thing might have been when we were in France visiting in-laws (my hubby is French) in the summer of '08. Our son was just 8 months old at the time, and my inlaws were very impressed by the fact that he was still nursing! They took us around to meet all the friends and extended family, and EVERY time they introduced me to someone new they'd say, "This is 'A...', and she's still nursing her little baby!" That was the first thing these strangers learned about me!!

One time, one of the great-aunts, or someone I can't remember the exact relation, told us the story of her daughter who nursed her baby until he turned 1 year old, and afterward, her breasts "completely disappeared."
I couldn't help laughing, though I tried my hardest not to!
I thought the European medical system was more enlightened than our American system?
Maybe in Sweden or Denmark. Not France! About 60 percent of French women breastfeed their newborns. Only about 10 percent are still breastfeeding when the baby is 6 weeks old. And if you are still breastfeeding at 6 months, well, you are really marginal!

Roman Goddess, mom to J (August 2004) and J (April 2009).    h20homebirth.gif signcirc1.gif
Old 01-11-2010, 12:45 PM

Yesterday while hiking with my 5 year old, wearing my almost 6 month old on my back in my wrap, my boy fell and was crying - happened near a sweet family with several kids. When my husband was holding him, wiping away his tears, the mom offered a Capri Sun, I suppose to make him feel better. Never mind not asking us, the parents, first if it's ok. Nevermind the weird habit of offering food/drink to feel better after a scrape (how is that supposed to trump the hugs and kisses?) Nevermind that my son has diabetes so straight sugar drinks are a nightmare. But then they offer to feed one to my baby. Seriously - give a fake juice drink to an infant!

Jordana, mama to almost 8 year old Evan, 3 year old Atticus, and 1 year old Tabitha - my gifts from heaven

Old 01-11-2010, 03:43 PM

From an in-law relative in an Asian country:
"We think kids should start out plump, so they will grow really tall."

Making kids plump has not been hlepful in that family, there is a history of type 2 diabetes.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:30 PM

This is not really a stupid comment, but it was kind of a head scratcher.

When my mom was visiting us when DS was about 5 months old, she said "I'm surprised, you guys are really good about changing him as soon as you realize he's wet!"

Um, thanks for your confidence in my parenting abilities?

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
Old 01-11-2010, 05:47 PM

I got one the other day from my mom of all people (not someone I would generally expect this comment from)...

"Well, you trained him to wake up at night to eat (nurse) so you'll have to deal with that."

Since when is responding to your baby "training" them to wake up?

- C reading.gif + Tsuperhero.gif = DS 08/08 bouncy.gif  DD 02/12 angel.gif and D? praying.gif sometime around March 16/2014 

Old 01-11-2010, 06:19 PM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne1140 View Post
Orange juice was invented in 1919 and cranberry juice in 1683, so I'm not sure that I find him very credible.
I don't have time to research cranberry juice, but I don't think the pilgrims had access to bags upon bags of sugar with which to sweeten their juice. Real, pure cranberry juice is extremely tart and not sweet.....I can't imagine drinking more than a couple of ounces of it, which is probably what the pilgrims did, and was most likely for medicinal purposes.

It's not like they were guzzling glasses full of Ocean Spray, IYKWIM. What most people nowadays think of as cranberry "juice" is usually water and corn syrup with a token amount of cranberry flavoring.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:47 PM

Actually, I love cranberry juice, and it is 100% juice (which is not the same as juice cocktail - that is the one with 15% juice).

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlovs View Post
Yesterday while hiking with my 5 year old, wearing my almost 6 month old on my back in my wrap, my boy fell and was crying - happened near a sweet family with several kids. When my husband was holding him, wiping away his tears, the mom offered a Capri Sun, I suppose to make him feel better. Never mind not asking us, the parents, first if it's ok. Nevermind the weird habit of offering food/drink to feel better after a scrape (how is that supposed to trump the hugs and kisses?) Nevermind that my son has diabetes so straight sugar drinks are a nightmare. But then they offer to feed one to my baby. Seriously - give a fake juice drink to an infant!
Something similar happened to me the other day. I was picking up DS's birthday cake at Walmart and out of nowhere the girl asked him if he wanted a cookie. I let him have it because he was already cranky and would have had a meltdown if I had said no, but I glared at the girl and said, "It's probably not a good idea to offer a kid a cookie without asking the parents first." She just kind of shrugged and said sorry. It was a peanut butter cookie too - how does she know he's not allergic to peanuts or diabetic or has Crohn's disease or anything?

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
Old 01-11-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty View Post
Actually, I love cranberry juice, and it is 100% juice (which is not the same as juice cocktail - that is the one with 15% juice).
Ditto that. Loooove 100% Cranberry Juice.

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).
Old 01-11-2010, 07:57 PM

We did BLW (transition to solids/table foods) with my daughter starting around 6-7 months old. She *LOVED* broccoli and I took a video of her eating it. When my mother saw it, she called me and told me "I'll be saying a prayer that she doesn't choke to death... I really hope you know CPR because you're definitely going to need it". We got ridiculous and nasty comments from other people too, to the point where we actually would stop feeding her solids in front of others and I'd just nurse her if we were anywhere.

And just a general comment to all of you who have had to deal with in-laws, family, friends, strangers comments, ext: From what I've read, you are all SOOOOO much nicer than I am!!! I don't care WHO that person is to me, I would give them a piece of my mind!!! My FIL recently told me (when I was getting up to chase after my toddler in another room in a non-baby proofed house), "Heather, sit down. You don't need to be chasing after her" I said "yes, I do" and continued to get up. He then said in a much nastier tone, "Um, no, you don't need to do anything, she'll be just fine..." and shook his head like I was an over protective mother. I got up & looked at him, and said "That is MY child and I will parent whatever way I want to, wherever I am, no matter what anyone has to say or think about it, got it?" and walked to go get her. She's 16 months old and he had ZERO to do with raising his own kids, so he has no clue about anything child related... I don't wait for my DH to talk to his parents, I say whatever is needed at the time it's needed. Too bad - my kid + your big mouth = me saying something to you about it, the way I want to say it. You don't like it? Too bad... lol.

Heather (40) DH (41) Georgia Mae b. 9/3/08, Charlotte Grace 7/17/10.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane View Post
Something similar happened to me the other day. I was picking up DS's birthday cake at Walmart and out of nowhere the girl asked him if he wanted a cookie. I let him have it because he was already cranky and would have had a meltdown if I had said no, but I glared at the girl and said, "It's probably not a good idea to offer a kid a cookie without asking the parents first." She just kind of shrugged and said sorry. It was a peanut butter cookie too - how does she know he's not allergic to peanuts or diabetic or has Crohn's disease or anything?
It must be a pandemic. I was at church and my DD (20mo) was down the hall, in my line of sight, but she loves the long halls at church so I let her roam as long as I can see her.

There is a family who loves her for some reason like bizarrely, (dad, mom, 7yo DD). For example they offered to watch her overnight when she was under 6months old so that I could night wean her. I didn't/don't socialize with them outside of church and have never seen (been invited to) their house.

Anyway, sorry for the sidebar. Establishing the creep factor for me.

They were at the other end of the hall talking to her and chatting and the 7yo is offering my DD something that I can't make out. As I am walking down to see what is going on my DD takes it and the mom asks if it is ok for her to have it. I ask what it is. A marshmallow dipped in caramel dipped in rice crispies My kid has melt downs whenever she has sugar (lesson learned at IL's over holidays) and I told the mom that. Then she goes, oh, I probably should have asked hehe. GRRRR. DUH.
We have kids with lots of different allergies at church and ITA people should ask before they feed your kids.

I told her daughter that it was very nice that she wanted to share and emphasized to the mom that we don't do sugar.

I know they are good people. And I try to remember that when I want to smack them upside the head.
Oh, cranky pregnancy hormones. The irony, now I am all grumpy because I don't have ice cream.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
The funniest thing might have been when we were in France visiting in-laws (my hubby is French) in the summer of '08. Our son was just 8 months old at the time, and my inlaws were very impressed by the fact that he was still nursing! They took us around to meet all the friends and extended family, and EVERY time they introduced me to someone new they'd say, "This is 'A...', and she's still nursing her little baby!" That was the first thing these strangers learned about me!!

One time, one of the great-aunts, or someone I can't remember the exact relation, told us the story of her daughter who nursed her baby until he turned 1 year old, and afterward, her breasts "completely disappeared."
I thought the European medical system was more enlightened than our American system?
I thought so too. I live in France and doctors are very surprised to find out your 5 month old is surviving on "just the breast". 8 months is also a very long time to "have milk" here. Not all of Europe is like this but France is definitely interesting.

My doc (who is a homeopath and very supportive of breastfeeding and delayed/no vaxing) told me the other day that my 4 month old was taking advantage of me. I went there for thrush treatment for both of us. He asked how many times a day she eats. I have no idea, I nurse on demand but I ventured a guess and said 10 (which I have no idea how accurate that is). He told me to talk with my baby and tell her she will need to calm down a wait because I have sore breasts and 10 times a day is too much for a 4 month old. I just nod and smile. The kid is teething, has thrush and hasn't gained wait for 3 weeks (due to thrush). No way am I not going to offer the boob. I did find it interesting that at 4 months they have the logic to "take advantage of someone" though.

Mamma to dd1 3/8/07, one 9.5.08, and dd2 9/9/09
Old 01-12-2010, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellabaz View Post
My doc (who is a homeopath and very supportive of breastfeeding and delayed/no vaxing) told me the other day that my 4 month old was taking advantage of me. I went there for thrush treatment for both of us. He asked how many times a day she eats. I have no idea, I nurse on demand but I ventured a guess and said 10 (which I have no idea how accurate that is). He told me to talk with my baby and tell her she will need to calm down a wait because I have sore breasts and 10 times a day is too much for a 4 month old. I just nod and smile. The kid is teething, has thrush and hasn't gained wait for 3 weeks (due to thrush). No way am I not going to offer the boob. I did find it interesting that at 4 months they have the logic to "take advantage of someone" though.
I've love to know what magic he uses to reason with infants. I need to have a talk with my son about STTN, getting into things, not napping, etc..

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
Old 01-12-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane View Post
There's one worker at the Starbucks we go to inside the grocery store, who always offers DS a little cup full of whipped cream, every time we're there.

No I'm not going to feed my 16 month old that much sugar, then make him sit in the cart and endure a grocery shopping trip.

That sounds like a recipe for disaster, and I am NOT a glutton for punishment.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:26 PM

My 3yo son has a major temper. The littlest thing will set him off. We have been working on proper outlets for him to express his anger for the last year.

Ne ways over Christmas break when I told my son it was time to go. He sat down crossed his arms, growled, and said that he was mad because he did not want to go.
I was happy He expressed his anger without throwing, stomping, or yelling.

My hubands grandmother stated that is sounded like my son needed a few more spankings.
How exaclty is spanking a kid who needs to learn anger management and impulse control, going to benifit from being spanked? Is it magically going to make him feel less mad if I spank him?
Old 01-12-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
Not stupid...more funny.

DS was crying (hungry, tired, the usual) and I was strapping him into the Ergo and a friend says, "Are you suffocating that baby?!?" DH was quick and replied, "Yep, deprive him of a little oxygen and he goes right to sleep."
I fell out of my chair laughing!

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
Old 01-12-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boringscreenname View Post
There's one worker at the Starbucks we go to inside the grocery store, who always offers DS a little cup full of whipped cream, every time we're there.

No I'm not going to feed my 16 month old that much sugar, then make him sit in the cart and endure a grocery shopping trip.

That sounds like a recipe for disaster, and I am NOT a glutton for punishment.
Is that a default Starbucks policy??
I had a worker offer DS the same thing, when he was 6 MONTHS OLD!! And she just acted like I was a horrible person because I said no!!

Mom to A 11/06: Researching : to grow our family
Old 01-12-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmomtoone View Post
Is that a default Starbucks policy??
I had a worker offer DS the same thing, when he was 6 MONTHS OLD!! And she just acted like I was a horrible person because I said no!!
No- it's not.
But we do have ppl ask for whipped cream for their dogs...?

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
Old 01-12-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceAndLove View Post
No- it's not.
But we do have ppl ask for whipped cream for their dogs...?
Really? That is crazy! No one at our Starbucks has ever offered any child I have been with anything.

Once when we were at the grocery store and DS (who was about 16 mons or so) was in the stroller he wanted to go and I was just finishing up paying. He was having a bit of a melt down so the cashier gives him (without asking me) a chocolate ball Luckily it was wrapped in a coloured wrapper and he didn't know what chocolate was so he just said "ball" and threw it

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

Old 01-18-2010, 09:26 AM
Banned

DH and I took DS to see a show recently. After it was over we walked around for a little while, DS singing the songs to himself the entire time. After a quick trip to the park, we stopped by a little cafe to ostensibly get something to drink for the walk home, but really just to help make it his day a little bit more.

While we were waiting for our smoothies DS was singing yet another of the songs and chattering away about his favorite parts of the show, when a well-dressed woman in her mid-thirties walks up to us and says "You know, little boy, if you don't don't find other things to be interested in you're going to grow up to be very lonely."

I'm not a confrontational person, but it took all I had not to say, "It sounds like loneliness is something you know a lot about."
Old 01-18-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InMediasRes View Post
I don't get the big deal about teeth. I've had a lot of comments from people who seem to think it's sad when kids teethe late. My DS got his first at 11mo, and DD just got hers at almost 10mo.

I mean, I guess if I was going to give my 6mo pistachios or something... otherwise, I don't think they're really deprived.
I'm late reading this thread, so I only just read this.

I don't get the big deal about teeth, either. Honestly, dd2 is my last, and she got her first tooth a day after she turned 6 months old. I was kind of sad - not really, really sad, but a little bit - because she's growing up so quickly. I love her goofy little baby grin, and it's just not the same once they're teeth start to show. However, she's the Happiest Baby in the Universe (so much happier than any of my others!), and I'm sure her smile will be adorable, anyway...I just miss the toothlessness.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 01-18-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
Another from this weekend: (same guy actually)

*me changing DS's diaper*
D: Is that...
Me: Cloth diapers, yep.
D: Isnt' that expensive?
DH: Well, only at first but after the initial investment...
D: Oh, you wash them???
Me and DH: *pause and look at each other* yes...

I wanted to say, "Hell no, we're rolling in money and just throw them away after each pee!"

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I'm going to remember this post whenever I feel down, tired or whatever. Holy crap!

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 01-18-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
It may have happened. I've known a couple of women who pretty much completely lost their breasts after pregnancy/breastfeeding. (I've also known a couple who went up a cup size, though.) I don't think it has anything to do with how long the baby breastfeeds, though.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrwmn View Post
one of the charming dr's we saw while trying to have baby #2 (and going thru all our losses) actually told me after the 3rd miscarriage that it was my fault because i was still nursing my then 2 yr old. i couldn't believe that because they didn't know what caused it she woul dstoop to blaming me. we RAN from that practice after that!!!
GRRR...I've had 3 miscarriages and I wasn't nursing. I've also nursed through the better part of two pregnancies. One of those did end in a stillbirth, but as that was after I weaned ds2 (yes - I weaned him - it hurt like *** to nurse that last couple of months, and I just couldn't do it, anymore), and after a long labour, I really don't think breastfeeding had anything to do with it, yk?

I had medical checkups and stuff. I had people suggest my diet (too many carrots!), my activity level (walked about 4-5 hours a week, plus aerobics, plus yoga, plus weights...to sedentary, obviously), and everything else under the sun. The one thing that was never suggested as contributory was my revious c-section. Funny how they're ready to blame me, but not themselves.

Someimtes, s**t happens. People need to get over their need to blame someone for everything.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmyturn View Post
My 3yo son has a major temper. The littlest thing will set him off. We have been working on proper outlets for him to express his anger for the last year.

Ne ways over Christmas break when I told my son it was time to go. He sat down crossed his arms, growled, and said that he was mad because he did not want to go.
I was happy He expressed his anger without throwing, stomping, or yelling.

My hubands grandmother stated that is sounded like my son needed a few more spankings.
How exaclty is spanking a kid who needs to learn anger management and impulse control, going to benifit from being spanked? Is it magically going to make him feel less mad if I spank him?
It won't. You had a right to be proud of your son!

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
Old 01-19-2010, 05:02 AM

I had had a miscarriage over the weekend and the birth center wanted me to come in that next morning. I had called the insurance on my way to the apt to make sure I didn't need a preauthorization or something. They said I didn't. So, when the bill came and they refused to pay I called. The lady on the phone told me I should have called in advance and schedule my appointment better. WTF? I politely told her the next time I was gonna have a miscarriage I would definitely call the insurance carrier to make sure it was convenient for them!
Old 02-02-2010, 09:05 AM

I was at a friend's baby shower the other day, the auntie-to-be came up and wanted to hold my son (9mo) and was telling me that she needs to learn about babies, that she doesn't know anything. At one point I we were talking and she asked "So, does he eat?"
Old 02-02-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twead View Post
I had had a miscarriage over the weekend and the birth center wanted me to come in that next morning. I had called the insurance on my way to the apt to make sure I didn't need a preauthorization or something. They said I didn't. So, when the bill came and they refused to pay I called. The lady on the phone told me I should have called in advance and schedule my appointment better. WTF? I politely told her the next time I was gonna have a miscarriage I would definitely call the insurance carrier to make sure it was convenient for them!
WTF? You did call in advance.

User Tag List