What is the worst/dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you about parenting stuff? V - Page 36 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1051 of 1072 Old 07-13-2012, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'll chime in and say that the "Put the baby down." advice is my least favorite.  No, no, I will put my baby down when we're damn good and ready for her to be down.  Not when you say so.  It is particularly infuriating when this advice comes from people who don't have children, or men.  I was once told this by a man who didn't have children, and I will love his wife forever for stepping in and shutting him up.

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#1052 of 1072 Old 07-13-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsGregory View Post

It is particularly infuriating when this advice comes from people who don't have children.

It really is so frustrating when parenting advice comes from childless people. my DH has a childless aunt and a childless uncle who LOVE to give parenting advice and genuinely seem to believe that DH's generation is still comprised of children who have no idea how parent. When DD was tiny we would just wrap her up in a warm blanket to make the trip between house and car, and once my mother had come to visit DH's in-laws and was holding DD as we prepared to go out. Childless uncle asked where her coat was and my mom told him we were just wrapping her up in the blanket. He full-on looked my mother, my MOTHER, in the eye and chided her, "That's not enough." Dude, having no kids and getting down on young parents is unacceptable, but getting down on a mother who is older than you and raised children to adulthood? Wow.

Breastfeeding, cloth diapering, vegetarian, working mama treehugger.gif to DD shamrocksmile.gif (10/2010) and wife to a wonderful, opinionated DH Cuss.gif. We loveteapot2.GIF knit.gifreading.gif  trekkie.gif and ourdog2.gif.

#1053 of 1072 Old 07-13-2012, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
She respects me even if she doesn't understand me--once she even hastily stopped her SIL from feeding my DD ice cream when she was EIGHT MONTHS OLD. I wasn't watching with the eagle eyes I have now for random people trying to feed DD because she was barely eating solids at that point and it hadn't even occurred to me that anyone would try to feed her anything without asking me, let alone ICE CREAM.

Try 5 months, and it was FIL, not SIL. Yup. :p

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#1054 of 1072 Old 07-19-2012, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Went to the store today and the checker told me about when her son was born. She said she had an ultrasound at 38 weeks and they told her that the baby was already 10 pounds. So of course, her first response was, "You're going to take the baby early then, right?" like the few ounces the baby gains in the last two weeks are going to make that much of a difference. So she had an induction at 39 weeks. Baby's weight? 7 pounds 3 ounces. disappointed.gif

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#1055 of 1072 Old 07-19-2012, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane View Post

Went to the store today and the checker told me about when her son was born. She said she had an ultrasound at 38 weeks and they told her that the baby was already 10 pounds. So of course, her first response was, "You're going to take the baby early then, right?" like the few ounces the baby gains in the last two weeks are going to make that much of a difference. So she had an induction at 39 weeks. Baby's weight? 7 pounds 3 ounces. disappointed.gif

A friend of mine did the same thing... twice. Her babies WERE nearly that big (9+ pounds each), and it never occurred to me til you just posted this that of course the baby isn't going to be gaining 3 more pounds in a couple of weeks! :headsmack Scary how often someone just says something so matter-of-factly that it becomes normal and we don't even question it.

#1056 of 1072 Old 07-20-2012, 07:46 AM

I actually know someone that happened to and it was much worse, the baby was "already over 9lbs" and mama had had a pelvic break in her teens from a horseriding accident so they wanted to do a cs before the baby was big and/or engaging.  They cs'd her son out at 37 weeks.  Turned out he was more like 34 weeks, was less than 5lbs and spent a MONTH in NICU.  After all that i said i would sue and she was like "but they saved us BOTH!"

#1057 of 1072 Old 07-20-2012, 08:36 AM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I  want to say to everyone IRL who told me that I'd "regret" having my dd skip a grade:  She is going into 11th grade now, and I haven't regretted it yet.  

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#1058 of 1072 Old 07-24-2012, 10:02 AM

When my mom was getting on my case about still nursing DS1 I mentioned to her that Mary would have likely nursed Jesus until he was 3 (since it was the custom at the time). "If it's good enough for Jesus, then it's good enough more my little guy". Her reply was "But look how he turned out, he died so young."

jammomma likes this.
#1059 of 1072 Old 07-24-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejagerw View Post

When my mom was getting on my case about still nursing DS1 I mentioned to her that Mary would have likely nursed Jesus until he was 3 (since it was the custom at the time). "If it's good enough for Jesus, then it's good enough more my little guy". Her reply was "But look how he turned out, he died so young."

I'm sorry but i had a massive LOL at this.  You're poor mother, that is really barrel scraping!

#1060 of 1072 Old 07-24-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Her reply was "But look how he turned out, he died so young."

biglaugh.gifOh, we nursing mothers have been so selfish! How could we forget that extended breastfeeding leads to crucifixion?

Alphaghetti and GoBecGo like this.

Breastfeeding, cloth diapering, vegetarian, working mama treehugger.gif to DD shamrocksmile.gif (10/2010) and wife to a wonderful, opinionated DH Cuss.gif. We loveteapot2.GIF knit.gifreading.gif  trekkie.gif and ourdog2.gif.

#1061 of 1072 Old 07-24-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:

I just can't stop laughing.  Oh my gosh, I kind of love your mom.  

#1062 of 1072 Old 07-25-2012, 08:04 PM

My SO's mother was on me about cutting my DS' hair today (again). She gave her spiel and then asked when I intended to finally cut his hair (he's 2 this weekend, never had a hair cut, and it is a bit past his shoulders), and I told her I'd cut it when he asked for it to be cut. She informed me that it was ridiculous that I'd let him walk all over me to the extent that I won't have his hair cut until he says he wants it done.eyesroll.gif I reminded her that I prefer it long (which is why I'm not cutting it until he asks), but I'm still letting him walk on me if I don't have his hair cut immediately.

#1063 of 1072 Old 07-26-2012, 05:05 AM

I would ask her why it bothers her that he's never had his hair cut. And then remind her that you're not going to let him walk all over you any more than you're going to let her walk all over you, especially when it comes to something as insignificant as hair length. Sheesh. Better to make it his choice than hers. It's not even her hair!

#1064 of 1072 Old 07-26-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:

I'm so stealing this.  Except, I need it for revenge purposes, sorry to say.  My mother loves bring Jesus into things.  The next time I get "I'm certain Jesus would blah blah blah." I'm busting this out. 

FIREdevil.gif

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#1065 of 1072 Old 07-29-2012, 06:13 AM

I was at work the other day and had to explain to the manager on duty that I might need a room to pump. A little later on in my shift I saw the manager again and she asked me how old my daughter was. I said she was thirteen months old and the manager said something like "Time to get that kid off the bottle." ... Actually, she's not on a bottle at all. I pump so I can keep breastfeeding. If she drinks expressed milk, it's in a sippy cup--but if she still did drink from a bottle, who cares? Not that it's any business of anyone else's how long we breastfeed for, either. I just shrugged and said I didn't really have any plans for when to quit nursing, and it wasn't like she wasn't still benefiting from it.

Kind of minor, but amusing. Everyone has an opinion about everything.

#1066 of 1072 Old 07-31-2012, 11:54 PM

We're nightowls by nature and homeschool, and my (well-meaning but not too bright) neighbour recently told me that if kids don't go to bed in the early evening and get up in the early morning, they don't get the sleep they need. Um... 8 (or 6, or 10) hours is the same whatever time of day it is!

Then the standard fare about breastfeeding past a year/when they can ask for it/etc.

#1067 of 1072 Old 08-19-2012, 06:23 AM

I was on a flight away from my 2 year old last week. Chatting to the guy on the plane next to me he said "You trust your husband alone with your daughter for a week?"

yikes.gif

Well yeah! Otherwise I think I may be having children with the wrong man, lol. 

treehugger.gif

Natural Parenting Guidelines

Learn more about Natural Parenting, Holistic Pregnancy, Breastfeeding, Baby Wearing, Cosleeping, Non-Vaccination and Baby Led Feeding/Weaning.

Got something you're passionate about? Come write an article for us and link back to your blog! 

#1068 of 1072 Old 08-29-2012, 02:57 PM

Got one, 

A couple months ago the repairman for my apartment complex was trying to fix my dishwasher. My 3 year old son's nails were painted some color, I don't remember. The repair guy got onto me about how I shouldn't paint his nails because it would make him gay. After a while of him going on and on about how nail polish is just for girls, I got irritated and started defending the nail painting (after all, my son was standing right there witnessing this foolishness). I told him that I didn't think it (meaning nail polish) was inherently feminine. He looked like a deer in the headlights for a moment and then said that no, he didn't think being gay was "inherited."  And that was when I realized that we could not have an intelligent conversation ;P 

#1069 of 1072 Old 08-29-2012, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Stupidest thing I've ever heard from a medical organization: the AAP's new pro-circ recommendations. irked.gif

transylvania_mom likes this.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#1070 of 1072 Old 08-29-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:

Stupidest thing I've ever heard from a medical organization: the AAP's new pro-circ recommendations. irked.gif

Oh, I agree. How many boys will be maimed because they want the 500$ a circ from the insurance companies? That HIV stuff they quote is so-ooo cherry picking. HiV transmission rates are lowest in countries like Sweden and Japan, where men have intact genitals.
#1071 of 1072 Old 08-30-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:

Truer words have never been spoken. 

I had to share the one I got yesterday:

We share a duplex with a nice but rough guy downstairs who just had several rehab trips to recover from alcoholism (he has been sober now for a few months, so yay him!).

DH and I were arriving home from work yesterday and he stopped us, telling us he had something for us and asked, "You don't have a potty chair yet, do you?" When we said no, he went into his condo and brought out an ancient wooden potty chair with a strap to LOCK BABIES IN (which our neighbor gleefully pointed out). After DH and I had politely accepted it and thanked him, he said,

"And I'm not using it anymore--I used to keep it in the kitchen and use it when I was too drunk to make it to the bathroom, but I'm sober now!" bigeyes.gif jaw2.gif

I have no idea if he was joking, but needless to say my jaw hit the floor! He's a nice guy, but what a weird thing to say! 

#1072 of 1072 Old 08-30-2012, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

i have a few...

I have an almost 7 month old son, who has just gotten into the beginning of separation anxiety - a friend was holding him and I left the room for a few minutes.  He started crying, and when I came back he reached for me and stopped crying once I was holding him.  My friend said, "wow, it's like he knows you!"  Um, yeah - I'm his mother.  I've only been with him almost every hour since he was born!

We were visiting a church and there was a 3 month old girl being dedicated - the pastor was having them promise to do the typical things - raise them in church, teach them Christian scriptures and values,etc.  Then, trying to make a joke but also quite seriously he asked the father if he promised to cane his daughter when she misbehaves, since it's hard for men to cane their daughters.  As a disclaimer, this happened in a culture where probably 99% of parents use physical discipline and some schools use it as well, and obedience is extremely important - but it still shocked me that when presented with a sweet baby girl, making the father promise before God to hit her was the thing that came to the pastors mind. 

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page