What is the worst/dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you about parenting stuff? V - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-02-2010, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
He also told me that if I fed him solids he'd get teeth sooner (we're 8 months with no teeth)

Tell that to my DD. She got her first teeth at 2.5 months. When we started her on solids at 6 months (which she LOVED), she already had 8. Despite eating dinner with us every night, she didn't break any new teeth for 4 more months.

Enjoying the adventure of NFL with my partner-in-crime , DD 03.09 , , &
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibiscus mum View Post
It's been a rough time so far with DS since he's such a different baby compared to DD. I don't know if he'd be classified as "high-needs" but he's definitely needier than DD was as a baby. At Christmas dinner, I gave DS some turkey and he was thoroughly enjoying it. My MIL said to him, "You're so much happier now that you're eating REAL FOOD, aren't you?"

I was like, "As opposed to the fake stuff coming out of my breasts?"

I don't think she meant to hurt my feelings, but it did sting a bit. Probably because it's true - he does seem happier these days.
I had a simillar issue with my family. Our first 2 months with DD were rough, she screamed pretty much non-stop and it was so stressful. My family used to say she was hungry...........she went form 9 pounds to 14 pounds in 2 months so I know she was getting a enough milk. Anyway, somewhere around 2 months something happened and she became much more content. Then again around 5 months she became constantly fussy, stopped STTN (we just thought sleep regression)....around 6 months we figured out I had a supply issue and she wasn't getting enough...she hadn't gained any weight in 2 months. Once we got that sorted out she went right back to being a happy baby. To this day my family says "Everything was fine with DD once you actually started feeding her".............implying I'd basically been starving my daughter for 6 months...when I know she was perfectly fine for the first 5 months (actually quite chunky). It still bugs me to this day!!!

On the OT.............I really don't agree that 100% fruit juice (without added sugar or sweetner) is the same or worse then pop. There is a huge difference between 100% fruit juice and flavored sugar water. We're mostly water drinkers but the odd glass of juice is not going to hurt us. Even Dr. Sears says there's nothing wrong with 100% fruit juice as a treat.

Lana: Mama to Mya Oct/2007 and Ainsley July/2010
Old 02-02-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorasMama View Post
Last night, in a chat with some of my friends, 3 of them decided to brainstorm "what Kate did wrong to cause her baby's omphalocele". The consensus was that it was either daring to get pregnant after 30 or the medications I used to take but stopped in plenty of time before ttc. Neither have any demonstrated correlation (they've been studied) to this particular defect, but that didn't stop them from jumping on the "blame the mother" bandwagon. I was very proud of my restraint, though a friend suggested I should stop taking the zofran for situations like this (she called it defensive vomiting, ).
That's horrible...........I can't believe they said that.

Lana: Mama to Mya Oct/2007 and Ainsley July/2010
Old 02-03-2010, 03:28 AM

When I was miscarrying and in the ER for bleeding, the OB was grilling me about all these things - what are you eating, how active are you, when was your last pregnancy, etc. Here was her list of things I *should* have done to PREVENT my miscarriage:

1. You need to stop running around after that toddler. Aren't you aware that there's something wrong?
2. Stop eating kefir (after I explained what it was). It's obviously poisoning you.
3. Stop nursing your 12mo. It makes your uterus contract, and it's probably what's causing you to miscarry.

When I told her the vitamins I was taking (Rainbow Light prenatal, B-complex, vit D), she gave this dismissive wave and said "Just go to CVS and pick up a normal prenatal with iron. Anything else could be hurting this baby."

I remember laughing hysterically when I got home. I needed the comic relief at that point in my life. But thinking back, I'm thinking - wow. What if I didn't know better??

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:26 AM

smeisnotapirate-wow! brutal. Good thing you know better. I'm sorry for your loss.

I gave birth two weeks ago so i have hormone brain, bear with me :P

Someone posted on MDC that so-and-so was looking to do an interview with a lotus-birther. I contacted the person and did the interview last week. It was a guy doing the interview, which I thought was pretty brave (he didnt really know what he was getting himself into interviewing ME of all people lol). The lady that was putting it all together hired him to shoot it. Anyways... I will share some of interview, not word for word, but pretty darn close:

Him:They want me to shoot some footage of you watching your birth video. Is that ok?

Me: Yup. Let me put it on my computer. (I put it on.)

Him: (Videoing me watching it.)

Me:This parts awesome... Her head is all the way out, and I thought her body would just slide out on the next push, but she was pretty big and she was pretty stuck. The midwife had to give her a good tug while I was pushing.

Him: Umm... do you have any footage thats not adult-oriented?

Me:No way, man. It's birth!

Him: OK, we'll just film it and they can edit what they want.

scratch What did he think a "birth video" looked like?

Oh, and the other time he almost fainted...

Him: Was there anything in particular that you had to consider before making your decision about Lotus birth?

Me: The major thing for me was that I was weighing the benefits of a peaceful gentle birth for my baby verses the postpartum benefits for me from eating her placenta. Lucky for me, I had DS's placenta in the freezer from his birth, so I could have my lotus birth and eat it too.

Him:

Placenta eating EC mom to my sweet DS Skyy 08/24/08 and Lotus Birth HBAC DD Aspen 01/13/2010 Healed by her birth
Old 02-03-2010, 04:34 AM

The nursing during pregnancy comments are starting to trickle in...

"You can't nurse during pregnancy; your body will choose one or the other!"

"If you continue to nurse, the kids will have rivalry between them!"

"Your body can't be making milk anymore" (Me: yes, I can see and hear her drinking) "Well then it's just watery stuff now"

In regards to her seeing a stranger and running towards me: "You just need to leave her w/ a babysitter for a few days so she figures it out" (what is IT??)

Mama to expecting Babe 2
Old 02-03-2010, 07:14 AM

This wasn't really a stupid comment or anything but a sort of strange encounter. A couple weeks ago, DP, DS and I were checking out in a store. There was an employee on break behind us, it looked like she was getting ready to pay for a meal.

Anyway she tells DP, that she was looking for a sucker to buy for DS, but couldn't find any. DP said, "Thanks for offering, but that's ok, he's still too young for suckers." So she offered to give him the York Peppermint Patty, she was going to buy for herself. DP told her "Thanks, but no thanks, we don't want him to have so much chocolate and sugar since it's getting close to bed time." I don't think DS would have liked a York Peppermint Patty anyway, since they have a rather strong taste to them.

Anyway that was our first experience with a random stranger offering our child candy.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:30 PM

We had a bank teller offer DD a lollipop when she was 5 months old. I didn't say anything - I figured I'd just eat it on the way home - but DH, trying to be polite, unwrapped it right there and offered DD a taste!

Then later he had the nerve to ask if I recorded "DD's first food" in her baby book!!!

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
Old 02-04-2010, 12:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A young woman came into my maternity store today to buy a nursing bra. I got to talking to her and asked if she had gone to any breastfeeding classes. She said, "No, my family said not to because my mom nursed her kids for a few months each, so she'd be all I need!"

I kept talking with her and she was CLUELESS about BFing. Thankfully, I was able to answer some questions she had and give her some good advice to get started.

This sort of thing happens on a regular basis. The other day I had a girl come in for a nursing shirt in case her baby wouldn't take a bottle around her family when they met her. I ended up talking with her for a good half hour, explaining nipple confusion (and demonstrating with a pop bottle ) and the supply and demand of BFing, as well as getting her thinking about why people hide to feed their babies one way but not another. She did end up picking up a nursing shirt and bra and left with no plans for bottles!

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
Old 02-04-2010, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane View Post
A young woman came into my maternity store today to buy a nursing bra. I got to talking to her and asked if she had gone to any breastfeeding classes. She said, "No, my family said not to because my mom nursed her kids for a few months each, so she'd be all I need!"

I kept talking with her and she was CLUELESS about BFing. Thankfully, I was able to answer some questions she had and give her some good advice to get started.

This sort of thing happens on a regular basis. The other day I had a girl come in for a nursing shirt in case her baby wouldn't take a bottle around her family when they met her. I ended up talking with her for a good half hour, explaining nipple confusion (and demonstrating with a pop bottle ) and the supply and demand of BFing, as well as getting her thinking about why people hide to feed their babies one way but not another. She did end up picking up a nursing shirt and bra and left with no plans for bottles!
That's awesome! I wish someone would have knocked some sense into me like that.
We're still going strong with no end in sight at 10 months, but I really did very little research on BFing before DS arrived. I assumed that something so natural would come naturally to us.
Fortunately, I had access to a great LC.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:37 PM

When our son had colic, our neighbor advised us to give him a little 7-UP mixed with water in a bottle to help ease his tummy! He said that's what they did with their three children and it seemed to help them. I just stared at him and said, "You want me to give my newborn baby soda pop?!" Amazing!!!
Old 02-07-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
Another from this weekend: (same guy actually)

*me changing DS's diaper*
D: Is that...
Me: Cloth diapers, yep.
D: Isnt' that expensive?
DH: Well, only at first but after the initial investment...
D: Oh, you wash them???
Me and DH: *pause and look at each other* yes...

I wanted to say, "Hell no, we're rolling in money and just throw them away after each pee!"

This guy sounds like pure entertainment!
Old 02-07-2010, 11:38 PM
Banned

When my MIL was visiting me last month, she told me "If you need a break from the baby (12 months old at the time), just put him in his crib with some toys while you take a nap. An hour or so in there won't hurt him!"

Maybe this parenting advice works for some babies, not trying to criticize anyone if you do this and your baby is fine with it, but my extremely active toddler would scream for about the last 55 minutes of that time. How am I supposed to sleep through that???

I can't remember if I've already posted this, but other gems from MIL include things like when the baby was a newborn telling me that if he was fussy before 4 hours after a feeding, it was most likely gas rather than hunger and I should give him a peppermint stick to suck on to soothe his belly. Apparently it was a "livesaver" for her kids. Um, perhaps because they were STARVING and candy has calories so shuts them up?

She also told me that my baby got ear infections because cold wind got into his ears when I would take him outside. Apparently I'm supposed to put cotton balls in his ears to keep out the wind. Ever heard of Pasteur's Germ Theory?
Old 02-08-2010, 12:56 AM

My mom & I were out for lunch with my DS (then 6-7 mos or so) and talking about what DS eats. I said broccoli, sweet potatoes, avocados, brown rice, etc. So she says, Oh so really healthy stuff? I say, Yup! He eats what I eat & I want him to develop a taste for healthy food, not junk.

Not 3 minutes later, we get our food & she says, Can I give him a french fry?

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
Old 02-08-2010, 02:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
When my first baby was a newborn my mom somehow convinced me to stay with her for a few week so she could "help". I was very young, I had a spinal headache from the horrible epidural that was given while I was pushing and never worked, and I had a fussy baby that I was having a terrible time trying to nurse. All I wanted to do was lay in bed (a spinal headache only goes away when you are laying down) and let the baby sleep next to me but she made me put the baby in a bassinet in another room and get up and try to nurse him in a chair in that room. She also kept inviting people over and having me come downstairs to entertain them for hours. I would be crying in pain and could barely keep my eyes open, anyone who came over would tell me I needed to go back to bed but she would just tell them I was fine. One day when he was maybe three days old there was a house full of people and she kept passing the baby from one person to the next I got really upset because I wanted to hold him. I went upstairs and sobbed, she came up to find out why I wasn't downstairs with everyone and when she saw me crying she put on this mocking pouty face and said "is someone suffering from postpartum depression". I cried a bit longer then went back downstairs and took the baby upstairs to take a nap. That night during one of the nighttime pain filled feeding sessions in the baby's room she just stood at the door to "supervise", she never helped with anything. While she was standing there telling me I needed to let him cry I picked him up to comfort him and she said "well doesn't he just have you wrapped around his little finger". Like a three day old baby is capable of manipulation. I figured out then that she had no clue and she was why I never felt close to her growing up. She was mean!
Old 02-08-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post
Not 3 minutes later, we get our food & she says, Can I give him a french fry?
So she asked? I mean I get it's totally not in the usual diet, but I could see asking. Well, as long as she accepted "no, he's fine" without any fussing.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elus0814 View Post
When my first baby was a newborn my mom somehow convinced me to stay with her for a few week so she could "help". ... She was mean!
O.M.G. I hope you've told her off since then. I daresay she'd deny it, but it'd at least let you say "remember all that stuff I yelled at you about? Yeah, that's why you won't be alone with my kids ever." Assuming, that is, that you still speak to her, which I could see not doing.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:04 PM

My little ones are high needs and I've accepted this (though I still have my moments of frustration). So we were at a restaurant and DS is 5 months old and honestly not being all that bad, especially for him. He hates when I sit down to eat no matter where we are. He wanted to nurse, but it was cold so I was putting his jacket on first. He was fussing a little because he didn't want to wait. Well an old woman at the table next to us says "he can have some of my scotch, that will keep him quiet." I responded "umm no, he just wants to nurse." What is wrong with people!

Mama to DD 12/05, DS 8/09 , nursing, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-vaxing, no circ
Old 02-08-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
So she asked? I mean I get it's totally not in the usual diet, but I could see asking. Well, as long as she accepted "no, he's fine" without any fussing.
LOL well if you knew me, I'm super strict about food, so I was shocked she even asked!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
Old 02-08-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elus0814 View Post
I was very young, I had a spinal headache from the horrible epidural that was given while I was pushing and never worked, and I had a fussy baby that I was having a terrible time trying to nurse. All I wanted to do was lay in bed (a spinal headache only goes away when you are laying down)
Oh, Momma!!! I had a nearly 2 week spinal headache from a poorly done spinal tap, and cannot IMAGINE taking care of an infant on top of that. For those not in the know, if you lift your head above heart-level, it feels like someone is smashing your entire brain in a vice; take the worst headache you've ever had, including cluster headaches, and multiply it by a zillion. (It's actually the #1 reason I won't ever have an epidural- fear of a spinal fluid leak!)

You're a super, mega, AMAZING momma for going through that!

Doctors aren't out to kill you or your children. Childbirth isn't inherently safe. Science is actually smarter than your intuition. Lighten up. Use sunscreen.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Well, this isn't exactly the worst or dumbest, just a bit puzzling...

DD at 23 months can't drink from a straw. She chews it instead of sucking. I mentioned this to MIL and she was all "That's so weird; you'd think she knows how because she still breastfeeds!". I said "Well, not really, it's a different method of suckling." Blank look. "You know, she uses her tongue when she breastfeeds, sort of like lapping?" Blank look. She breastfed two children: did she really think they drank breastmilk like drinking through a straw? Very odd...

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckysgirl View Post
DS was singing yet another of the songs and chattering away about his favorite parts of the show, when a well-dressed woman in her mid-thirties walks up to us and says "You know, little boy, if you don't don't find other things to be interested in you're going to grow up to be very lonely."

I'm not a confrontational person, but it took all I had not to say, "It sounds like loneliness is something you know a lot about."

Hope your son didn't absorb anything from her-

Sounds like one very unhappy person

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

Old 02-10-2010, 08:40 PM

The dumbest thing I think I've been told as a parent is that giving my 15.5 month old son a doll would turn him gay

My future MIL and FIL are sooo against giving dolls to children.

Krys(29) DP to Ad (32)
~Attachment, co-sleeping parents to CJ (10/08)~ Mama to an angel baby born at 25.5 weeks Sophie (01/10)

Old 02-10-2010, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
Old 02-10-2010, 11:22 PM

Reading all these ridiculous breastfeeding stories suddenly reminded me of this bizarre exchange I had when my daughter was about 3 months old. We had gone to a friend's wedding reception and I was carrying my daughter in her Ellaroo when we were approached by a relative of the bride. This guy was a complete stranger to me.

He says "are you breastfeeding?"
I (still a new mother, not yet used to the bizarrely personal questions strangers will ask you when you have a baby with you) manage to stammer out a "yes" instead of the vastly more appropriate "what business is it of yours?".

and he says:

"When we had our kids we formula fed them because we figured you know whats in the cans but you don't really know what's in the "cans" (as he makes gestures with his hands as though he were lifting his own enormous, invisible breasts) if you know what I mean"

Uh, uh, wow. I think my mouth actually fell open. What do you even say? "How interesting, I think I better be going now....."

Almost four years have passed since that day and it still cracks me up every time I remember it

Miss Chris

Miss Chris and the guy in the city that never sleeps.
Making a home for our big girl 3/06 and our new boy 2/10
Old 02-10-2010, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Chris View Post
He says "are you breastfeeding?"
I (still a new mother, not yet used to the bizarrely personal questions strangers will ask you when you have a baby with you) manage to stammer out a "yes" instead of the vastly more appropriate "what business is it of yours?".

and he says:

"When we had our kids we formula fed them because we figured you know whats in the cans but you don't really know what's in the "cans" (as he makes gestures with his hands as though he were lifting his own enormous, invisible breasts) if you know what I mean"

Uh, uh, wow. I think my mouth actually fell open. What do you even say? "How interesting, I think I better be going now....."
I would have to say the opposite! I know what's in my "cans"- tasty goodness!

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
Old 02-11-2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Chris View Post

I wonder how he felt about that when that massive tainted formula recall was going on.

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).
Old 02-11-2010, 02:11 PM

Honestly the dumbest parenting advice that I have recieved was from other parents, while I was pregnant with my first child. Such as "oh you just wait, you aren't a mom yet and you'll see how things really are" and that sort of fluff. Like me saying that I wanted my son to have a bedtime, and not stay up until all hours of the night. so many people seemed to think that was impossible, like I was nuts to even wish for that. He goes to bed by 7 on the dot every single night.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:32 PM

hijab.gif Childbirth Educating and Doula-ing wife toflowersforyou.gif , and mama to hammer.gif6/09. Story of my life:buddamomimg1.pngduh.gif knit.gifscared.gifsewmachine.gifdishes.gifcd.giftea6.gifread.gifsleepytime.gif

Old 02-11-2010, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspineau View Post
Honestly the dumbest parenting advice that I have recieved was from other parents, while I was pregnant with my first child. Such as "oh you just wait, you aren't a mom yet and you'll see how things really are" and that sort of fluff. Like me saying that I wanted my son to have a bedtime, and not stay up until all hours of the night. so many people seemed to think that was impossible, like I was nuts to even wish for that. He goes to bed by 7 on the dot every single night.
Yep! My parents said this too. I said I didn't want to vax so, in addition to the "your child will die" comments, I got the "just wait" comments. Well, he's almost 10mo and has had no vax to date.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11

User Tag List