What is the worst/dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you about parenting stuff? V - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 1072 Old 03-24-2010, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBabyMaker View Post
"Do you think she eats so often because she's almost a vegetarian?" I guess I need to give her meat at every meal.
But meat makes people eat less often.

Since she gets coconut milk, could you just look at her like she's being silly and say "but dd gets at least x oz of milk a day"? No wait, that'd just set you up for your dd getting dairy from grannie.
#182 of 1072 Old 03-24-2010, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplemama32 View Post
My MIL thinks kids should be taught how to play. (No sense in letting their own imagination or creativity have a say!) DS can barely play with a toy...especially something like a puzzle or shape sorter...when she's around because she is *constantly* taking it away from him and saying "No! You do it like this." or "No-no...you're doing it the wrong way. Let Granny show you the 'proper' way to do it."

She also told DS the other day "not to cry because you look so ugly when you cry"...all while making a horrifying face at him and imitating his crying sounds. He is 23 months old, and he was tired, sick, hadn't seen me all day, and he wanted to nurse. I know she was trying to be funny, but it just makes me...
My mother does this too. She is always criticizing how DS does things: playing, eating, talking, everything. I just want to slap her silly, or tell her she is being an emotional bully... but the truth is, she doesn't know better and doesn't want to learn.

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#183 of 1072 Old 03-24-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplemama32 View Post
saying "No! You do it like this." or "No-no...you're doing it the wrong way. Let Granny show you the 'proper' way to do it."

I have to physically stop myself from doing this to my DD. I know I shouldn't (and I don't) but my OCD kicks in and I have to not watch

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#184 of 1072 Old 05-24-2010, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You know, we haven't seen this thread in a while. Hate to let a good thing die!

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#185 of 1072 Old 05-24-2010, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

My mom the other day discussing my pregnancy:
Her: When DS coming to live with us? (they live 4 hours away)
Me: Excuse me? MY SON is staying with me.
Her: We just thought you'd like some time with the new baby. (I'm 5 weeks pregnant)
Me: DS is still nursing.
Her: It's just for comfort. He's weaning.
Me: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ...No.
Her: Well, are you and DS going to come stay with us the month after the baby is born so you can recoup? (I did that when DS was born because DH was in military training)
Me: DH gets a couple of weeks of paternity leave.
Her: *disappointed* Oh

So not dumb but just...irritating. And if I had a dollar for everytime she mentioned DS just nursing for comfort and weaning soon I'd be able to sustain MDC!

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#186 of 1072 Old 05-24-2010, 02:25 PM

I clean this woman's house and she said to me ( when my baby was two weeks old and I was there to pick up a check from cleaning while nine months pregnant), "Never, Ever let anyone kiss your baby, not even your husband. She could get menangitis and DIE".

While I was pregnant, another one of he quotable comments; "Oh my god, you are pregnant?? (I was 7 month pregnant, and looked every bit of it.) I cant even tell! Those are the ones that hurt really really bad you know, the ones that you can barely see."

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#187 of 1072 Old 05-24-2010, 02:35 PM

My mom: I don't know how you do it, WAH and watching your DS all day. I thought it was tough being a SAHM. I give you a lot of credit.
...a couple days later, talking about when DH hopefully gets benefits at his job next year...
Me: I can't wait, then I can finally quit this job.
Mom: Ohhh you're too much *exasperated sigh* *eye rolls* (implying I'm incredibly lazy for wanting to be "just" a SAHM).

Oh and along the same lines...
Her: You should really wait 'til you can quit that job before you have another kid.
...a week or two later...
Her: When are you guys going to have another baby? I want another grandkid!!!

Talk about mixed messages....

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#188 of 1072 Old 05-24-2010, 02:35 PM

my mom side of the family:

-leave baby in playpen all day, that way they will learn that the world doesnt revolve around them.

never put them down to nap. always let them fall asleep wherever they happen to be. that way, they learn to sleep on their own. and if you have to rock/sleep with/lower lights, theyre not REALLY tired.

small boobs=no milk. they were blown away when i was supplying milk for my ds AND a friends baby for a couple months.

give sugar for hiccups. always. with every hiccup.

if baby is crying, watch tv and ignore baby. that way, they will learn that crying doesnt get your attention.

so sad

Coffee, Vintage and Kids.  My Life.
              reading.gif  jammin.gifdust.gif   1sttri.gif

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#189 of 1072 Old 05-24-2010, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

When DS was 2mo he got this rash that covered his chest and down one arm. Not only that, but it was summer and my IL's house doesn't cool down well. So, we had DS in just a diaper. FIL's reaction: "Put a shirt on that boy" "Why?" "Because if you don't he'll get used to not having a shirt on." "He has a rash." "Oh, what did you do??" *sigh*

We got the same talk about shoes...he "needed" to wear shoes all the time so that he would get used to them on his feet.

And when his feet were slightly chilly (it was 70something degrees in the house...not cold) I got a lecture about how much he needed socks.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#190 of 1072 Old 05-24-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBombMama View Post
never put them down to nap. always let them fall asleep wherever they happen to be. that way, they learn to sleep on their own. and if you have to rock/sleep with/lower lights, theyre not REALLY tired.
Yeah, that worked great until DD was about 18 months. Then she couldn't even have the light on for me to read by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
We got the same talk about shoes...he "needed" to wear shoes all the time so that he would get used to them on his feet.
Someone should've given DD the memo. She had a hat on every single day in her first winter, and then rejected all sun hats when spring came.
#191 of 1072 Old 05-24-2010, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
The librarian, after hearing that my baby is in fact a boy said, "But, she's so pretty!"

He was wearing brown pants and an orange sweater. I guess it could be a really non-girly girl's outfit. I don't take offense to people mistaking the gender, but I just thought her response when I corrected her was funny!

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12
#192 of 1072 Old 05-24-2010, 04:29 PM

I haven't gotten anything good lately, just a bunch of sweet, loving comments.

I admit it, though, I love hearing about the stupid comments people receive. My sister is 4 months pregnant now, and it reminds me of what NOT to say to her!

Oh, actually, I do have a dumb comment related to that.

My sister is 19. I was 19 when I got pregnant with my first baby.

My mom: "She's just so YOUNG!"
Me: "She's the same age I was when I got pregnant."
My mom: "Yeah, but you were married!"

Hmm, so marital status has an effect on one's ability to parent? Good to know. Next time someone compliments my parenting I'll say "Oh, it's because I'm married."

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#193 of 1072 Old 05-24-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelorum View Post
The librarian, after hearing that my baby is in fact a boy said, "But, she's so pretty!"

He was wearing brown pants and an orange sweater. I guess it could be a really non-girly girl's outfit. I don't take offense to people mistaking the gender, but I just thought her response when I corrected her was funny!
Haha that happens to me all the time with DS even though he's usually wearing very boyish clothes (dark blue with trucks or something). One guy said, "Oh he's pretty enough to be a girl!" hehe I think it's so funny that the librarian still said "she"

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#194 of 1072 Old 05-24-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontierpsych View Post
I haven't gotten anything good lately, just a bunch of sweet, loving comments.

I admit it, though, I love hearing about the stupid comments people receive. My sister is 4 months pregnant now, and it reminds me of what NOT to say to her!

Oh, actually, I do have a dumb comment related to that.

My sister is 19. I was 19 when I got pregnant with my first baby.

My mom: "She's just so YOUNG!"
Me: "She's the same age I was when I got pregnant."
My mom: "Yeah, but you were married!"

Hmm, so marital status has an effect on one's ability to parent? Good to know. Next time someone compliments my parenting I'll say "Oh, it's because I'm married."
Is your sister partnered or going to be a single parent? Because from what I've seen of single mamas, that's a TOUGH job no matter how old you are. And if your sister doesn't have a partner who will step up to the plate and do all the things your dh has done, then your sis will have a much much harder time than you.

Of course, I'm assuming your mom was speaking as your sister's mom and not as a judging stranger.
#195 of 1072 Old 05-24-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
Ditto that. Loooove 100% Cranberry Juice.
I know this is a really old post to quote and totally off topic, but I am curious. Kidzaplenty and Sk8ermaiden, do you really drink straight 100% cranberry juice? It is so tart!? Or do you drink "100% juice cranberry"? I have to go to a the health food aisle and pay $5 to $7 for a small bottle of 100% cranberry juice. The "100% juice" stuff in the regular juice aisle is half as cheap and the majority of the "100% juice" is white grape juice. Is that what you are drinking?

I am truly curious because I just think it tastes like medicine (and that's basically what I buy it for).
#196 of 1072 Old 05-24-2010, 10:12 PM

I drink both, actually. But, I prefer the 100% cranberry. I like the tart.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#197 of 1072 Old 05-24-2010, 10:28 PM

100% cranberry juice - it is not expensive here and the tart is delicious. I asked several people when that post first debuted, and most of my friends and family frink 100% cranberry juice on a range from occasionally to frequently. I usually have some in the fridge.

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).
#198 of 1072 Old 05-25-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:

I showed this picture of my son to a new woman at our temple - after repeatedly saying that I had a son. She says "OMG, your daughter is just lovely! Look at her hair!" Ooooohkay. Some people just don't pay attention, I think.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#199 of 1072 Old 05-25-2010, 12:42 AM

Sara, I am blown away by the untold level of cute that is your son.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#200 of 1072 Old 05-25-2010, 12:49 AM

Inspired by the first post:
My MIL is an RN, you'd think she would understand allergies. At one time, my oldest was allergic to dairy products (confirmed by skin-prick testing, but cured by my colostrum- just had to throw that in! ;P). Before the colostrum cure, we visited DH's family on the other side of the country. MIL had been reminded again and again about this. First night we arrive from out of town, she serves us PIZZA. Second night, LASAGNA. Then she adds butter to his toast! "I didn't know that butter would cause an issue!" Grrrr...
#201 of 1072 Old 05-25-2010, 12:51 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
I showed this picture of my son to a new woman at our temple - after repeatedly saying that I had a son. She says "OMG, your daughter is just lovely! Look at her hair!" Ooooohkay. Some people just don't pay attention, I think.
LOL. Adorable picture, though.

this is what my son was wearing that day at the library.

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12
#202 of 1072 Old 05-25-2010, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane View Post
Sara, I am blown away by the untold level of cute that is your son.
EEK! Thanks! I think he's pretty much the cutest kid in the world, but I'm a bit biased.

Quote:
LOL. Adorable picture, though.

this is what my son was wearing that day at the library.
Cool sweater!! I definitely would have said boy, but at that age, who knows?

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#203 of 1072 Old 05-25-2010, 01:21 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I love reading these!

Kris: in love with J "auntie" to W (7yrs)  and Z (5yrs)

→Waiting to start my own little family←
Someday it will be my turn!
#204 of 1072 Old 05-25-2010, 01:37 AM

Here's another one. When DS was very very little, my MIL was still trying to convince us to circ him; (she had already convinced DH, it was just me protecting my little one) she somehow persuaded my SIL to call me (in addition to her 2-3 calls/week). SIL's argument: I would be grossed out to sleep with a man who wasn't circ'ed. Second argument: "it looks gross." "so you think performing cosmetic surgery on a minor is okay" "yeah, i would totally get implants if i could" She was 17 at the time. anyway see the failure in logic there? Then she had my FIL call. His argument: "i don't see why it matters to you women so much. why don't you just get it done so she'll leave you alone?" Wow, so is that really the way we should make medical decisions for our children??
#205 of 1072 Old 05-25-2010, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
100% cranberry juice - it is not expensive here and the tart is delicious. I asked several people when that post first debuted, and most of my friends and family frink 100% cranberry juice on a range from occasionally to frequently. I usually have some in the fridge.
Well thanks. It's hard to find 100% cranberry juice that is not a grape juice blend here...I shouldn't talk when it comes to unpopular flavors (tart). I love the bitter. I love white grapefruit juice and I get some comments for that.
#206 of 1072 Old 05-25-2010, 11:03 AM

it's already been covered, but since my LO is just under 4 months old i am constantly hearing about him needing "real food". i just reply that he's fine, and we'll figure out the food thing "soon" after we've talked to the doctor. i only add the last bit b/c it seems to shut people up - as in oh, the doctor will set her straight!

i really am amazed at how many people tell me to cut the nipples on his bottles wider and add rice cereal so he'll sleep more. um, he sleeps fine. he wakes up once during the night and for 3 1/2 months old that is awesome. and yet, when people hear he's up once during the night i get these shocked looks and "STILL!!?" comments.

mom to Andrew   born Feb 6th, already a mom to child with fur; and still missing and still wondering about the lost possibilities Mar 17, 2009
#207 of 1072 Old 05-25-2010, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

My mother was wondering if she was going to be invited to our next birth. I told her I'm planning a homebirth so it may just be me, DH, DS and the midwives. The rest went like this...

Her: But who's taking DS?

Me: No one. He's going to be here.

Her: You're going to want someone that can take him...it's going to be traumatic. He won't even be 2 years.

Me: He'll be 21 months. Old enough to understand.

Her: It's going to traumatize him.

#208 of 1072 Old 05-25-2010, 02:30 PM

AFWife, my 23mo son was at his sister's birth at home - my doula and DH switched off taking care of him, and he was wonderful. Wasn't even scared when I was mooing my head off pushing for 3.5 hours. I think as long as there's an option for him to leave the birthing room with an adult he trusts if he wants to, you can't go wrong.

#209 of 1072 Old 05-25-2010, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catubodua View Post
it's already been covered, but since my LO is just under 4 months old i am constantly hearing about him needing "real food". i just reply that he's fine, and we'll figure out the food thing "soon" after we've talked to the doctor. i only add the last bit b/c it seems to shut people up - as in oh, the doctor will set her straight!

i really am amazed at how many people tell me to cut the nipples on his bottles wider and add rice cereal so he'll sleep more. um, he sleeps fine. he wakes up once during the night and for 3 1/2 months old that is awesome. and yet, when people hear he's up once during the night i get these shocked looks and "STILL!!?" comments.
MIL was the worst about this. She was constantly telling us that DS needed food. Breastmilk couldn't possibly be enough for him (he was 95th percentile in growth in general for MONTHS. He was in 6mo clothing at 3mo...) When he fussed about anything it was obviously because he was hungry. Nursing every hour or two was too much. And if I "ever wanted sleep" I'd give him rice cereal.

#210 of 1072 Old 05-25-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beru View Post
I know this is a really old post to quote and totally off topic, but I am curious. Kidzaplenty and Sk8ermaiden, do you really drink straight 100% cranberry juice? It is so tart!? Or do you drink "100% juice cranberry"? I have to go to a the health food aisle and pay $5 to $7 for a small bottle of 100% cranberry juice. The "100% juice" stuff in the regular juice aisle is half as cheap and the majority of the "100% juice" is white grape juice. Is that what you are drinking?

I am truly curious because I just think it tastes like medicine (and that's basically what I buy it for).
Oh, I love 100% cranberry juice! I use to drink it help my bladder. Now if I get a cranberry juice blend it's like a dessert since it is so sweet. But I also love the blends too.

I'm so glad this thread is back!!!

Angela , wife to DH (Oct 1999), mother to DD (Oct 2008)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page