Mothering Forum banner

What is the worst/dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you about parenting stuff? V

119K views 1K replies 315 participants last post by  bluedaisy 
#1 ·
From this weekend:

I was saying that I can't have milk and this guy (we'll call him D) says, "You know that none of that gets passed through your breastmilk, right?" I just stared and said, "He gets a rash when I have milk." and he looked surprised.

He also told me that if I fed him solids he'd get teeth sooner (we're 8 months with no teeth)

Reactions: applejuice
#2 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
From this weekend:

I was saying that I can't have milk and this guy (we'll call him D) says, "You know that none of that gets passed through your breastmilk, right?" I just stared and said, "He gets a rash when I have milk." and he looked surprised.

He also told me that if I fed him solids he'd get teeth sooner (we're 8 months with no teeth)
I love how random men are experts on the female body. Ever have a breastfeeding question, ask a guy on the street!

When DD was still not SSTN (which was until 15 mo), my MIL loved to repeatedly tell of how she cured my husband, her son, of crying at night by letting him cry alone in his crib until he vomited. That fixed him!

Yeah, and maybe that's why he's still emotionally distant from her.

#4 ·
Quote:

: Maybe he's confusing teething on hard objects with "eating solids"? If the conversation comes up again, tell him you give him plenty of solids to chew on, but are waiting to give him complementary foods.

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kriket View Post
ah... part five and people are still getting horrible parenting advice. There is constancy in this world!
I had actually gone a while without bad advice...and I realized it was because I hadn't really GONE anywhere :p

#6 ·
Quote:

From this weekend:

I don't get the big deal about teeth. I've had a lot of comments from people who seem to think it's sad when kids teethe late. My DS got his first at 11mo, and DD just got hers at almost 10mo.

I mean, I guess if I was going to give my 6mo pistachios or something... otherwise, I don't think they're really deprived.

#7 ·
From a recent party:

Friend: When did you wean DS? I think I might need to wean my DS (8mo).
Me: 19 mo. I would have gone to 2, but I just couldn't make it through my pregnancy.
Friend: Wow, you can make milk that long?

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by InMediasRes View Post
I don't get the big deal about teeth. I've had a lot of comments from people who seem to think it's sad when kids teethe late. My DS got his first at 11mo, and DD just got hers at almost 10mo.
The longer I can go without getting broken skin during a bite the better,thank you!

#10 ·
my daughter still doesnt have teeth yet at 13 months, MIL is VERY concerned that there is definitely something wrong with her. never mind that i didnt get teeth until 15 months, the same time my mom and grandma popped their first teeth. i guess nothing about my child could possibly resemble anything from MY side of the family!

#12 ·
Quote:

I had actually gone a while without bad advice...and I realized it was because I hadn't really GONE anywhere :p
so true but thanks to the great www, advice is able to be giving online as well!

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackies Ladybug View Post
my daughter still doesnt have teeth yet at 13 months, MIL is VERY concerned that there is definitely something wrong with her. never mind that i didnt get teeth until 15 months, the same time my mom and grandma popped their first teeth. i guess nothing about my child could possibly resemble anything from MY side of the family!
When dh's cousin was a year old and still had no teeth, a nice ped asked the parents 'Have you ever seen a person who never grew any teeth?'

This calmed them.

#15 ·
Hilarious thread! I guess you don't get teeth until you prove to them that you need them then, eh?

I think my favorite "advice" was that my kids are going to die of polio since I'm not vaccinating them. Because death by polio is really, really common! I also get told roughly 30-40 times per pregnancy that if I have a VBAC, my uterus will rupture and I will die, FOR SURE. Lol. Oookkkay.

#16 ·
My BIL (who is DH's brother, and DH is not my kids' dad, so he is no relation to my kids) asked me (randomly and without provocation) what gives me the right to homeschool my children...?

Unfortunately, I work with this buffoon. And he is extremely arrogant and judgmental in many ways...this is just one of them, I guess.

I just looked at him and flatly said, "The Constitution."

He didn't say anything else about it after that.

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Litcrit View Post
When dh's cousin was a year old and still had no teeth, a nice ped asked the parents 'Have you ever seen a person who never grew any teeth?'

This calmed them.

Shirley Temple never got her secondary teeth, but that's a completely different thing.

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2xy View Post
My BIL (who is DH's brother, and DH is not my kids' dad, so he is no relation to my kids) asked me (randomly and without provocation) what gives me the right to homeschool my children...?

Unfortunately, I work with this buffoon. And he is extremely arrogant and judgmental in many ways...this is just one of them, I guess.

#19 ·
I was at a playground w/ a good friend recently our dd's, both 21 months were hanging out and playing. We were chatting and her 6 month old dd was in her car seat watching everything.

The woman sitting next to us said many many dumb things in the 15 min we were there before she left. This was my favorite.

Several of the older kids, including this woman's daughter and an older toddler boy (maybe 3 or 4 years old) had come over and were playing with my friend's 6 month old. This was fine with my friend and the baby was happy. The woman's daughter said, "Look mama we're playing with baby!" the woman's brilliant response. . .

"Oh, he dosen't want to play with the baby! He's a BOY!"

I guess that despite the fact that this little boy was in fact playing with a baby and smiling and laughing, that boys never never like babies.

#20 ·
Quote:

Awesome answer!

#21 ·
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by InMediasRes View Post
From a recent party:

Friend: When did you wean DS? I think I might need to wean my DS (8mo).
Me: 19 mo. I would have gone to 2, but I just couldn't make it through my pregnancy.
Friend: Wow, you can make milk that long?
Thanks for the laugh!

#22 ·
The guy at lenscrafters this past weekend gave me a doozie. My 15 mo DD had accidentally broken my glasses, so I went to pick up a new pair.

While he's getting them all ready for me to put on, he says, "So your 15 mo broke your frames, huh? Do you spank??" I was appalled and said, "No! I don't believe in that." and he shook his head at me and raised his eyebrows and said,"You don't even have to hit that hard, just a swat on the butt is all it'll take. What if she does it again???"

I couldn't believe it. I was so angry. My daughter had no idea she did something "wrong" and honestly it was no big deal -- why on earth would hitting her solve or fix ANY of this??

As politely as I could, I said, "No I don't believe in hitting for any reason, thanks." and took my glasses and left. Ugh.

#23 ·
Another from this weekend: (same guy actually)

*me changing DS's diaper*
D: Is that...
Me: Cloth diapers, yep.
D: Isnt' that expensive?
DH: Well, only at first but after the initial investment...
D: Oh, you wash them???
Me and DH: *pause and look at each other* yes...

I wanted to say, "Hell no, we're rolling in money and just throw them away after each pee!"

#24 ·
Time for some Holiday Hijinks in this thread. Nothing MAJOR here but annoying nonetheless. My MIL literally poured SODA into Lily's (20 month old) mouth today. Lily ONLY drinks water, and was in the process of drinking and enjoying some when Grandma came on over and said "Here, try some pop!" I said something about oh, she's just having some water, and MIL literally said (to Lily, not me, of course) "Come on, try it! It's better!"

I don't even want her having juice, for cripe's sake, but I could tolerate some watered-down juice if it's real juice and not 90% HFSC and dye - with permission. Because things are always SO TENSE with her about food, among many other things, and it's caused problems with DP, since I'm always the bad guy saying to to candy, sugar, allergens that we've explained a million times. Seriously, how hard is it to remember that gluten/wheat is a no-no? And how obscure a fact is it that anything made with freakin' FLOUR is therefore made of wheat and therefore is not okay? I could understand if someone didn't know that soy sauce has gluten, or malt, or beer, or something much less obvious, but how many times do I have to say no to BREAD and CAKE and PASTA and flipping TRISCUITS??

Anyway, so when it came to the soda, I literally froze. DP wasn't in the room, but his little brother had the sense to say "Come on, Mom, she doesn't need soda." She replied "It's Sierra Mist. It doesn't have caffeine," (yeah, because that's the only issue) and then tried to give her more! Lily wanted nothing to do with it. Good for her, but why did she have to even have that first gulp???

DP agreed that next time I AM allowed to refuse, or he will if he's there. Because there will be a next time.

#25 ·
Quote:

Bravo.

#26 ·
Quote:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.