What is the worst/dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you about parenting stuff? V - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1072 Old 12-21-2009, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
From this weekend:

I was saying that I can't have milk and this guy (we'll call him D) says, "You know that none of that gets passed through your breastmilk, right?" I just stared and said, "He gets a rash when I have milk." and he looked surprised.

He also told me that if I fed him solids he'd get teeth sooner (we're 8 months with no teeth)

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#2 of 1072 Old 12-21-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
From this weekend:

I was saying that I can't have milk and this guy (we'll call him D) says, "You know that none of that gets passed through your breastmilk, right?" I just stared and said, "He gets a rash when I have milk." and he looked surprised.

He also told me that if I fed him solids he'd get teeth sooner (we're 8 months with no teeth)
I love how random men are experts on the female body. Ever have a breastfeeding question, ask a guy on the street!

When DD was still not SSTN (which was until 15 mo), my MIL loved to repeatedly tell of how she cured my husband, her son, of crying at night by letting him cry alone in his crib until he vomited. That fixed him!

Yeah, and maybe that's why he's still emotionally distant from her.
granny-mary and Rachelh15 like this.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#3 of 1072 Old 12-21-2009, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ah... part five and people are still getting horrible parenting advice. There is constancy in this world!
dogretro likes this.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#4 of 1072 Old 12-21-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
: Maybe he's confusing teething on hard objects with "eating solids"? If the conversation comes up again, tell him you give him plenty of solids to chew on, but are waiting to give him complementary foods.
#5 of 1072 Old 12-21-2009, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriket View Post
ah... part five and people are still getting horrible parenting advice. There is constancy in this world!
I had actually gone a while without bad advice...and I realized it was because I hadn't really GONE anywhere :P

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#6 of 1072 Old 12-21-2009, 06:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
From this weekend:

I don't get the big deal about teeth. I've had a lot of comments from people who seem to think it's sad when kids teethe late. My DS got his first at 11mo, and DD just got hers at almost 10mo.

I mean, I guess if I was going to give my 6mo pistachios or something... otherwise, I don't think they're really deprived.
#7 of 1072 Old 12-21-2009, 06:10 PM
Banned

From a recent party:

Friend: When did you wean DS? I think I might need to wean my DS (8mo).
Me: 19 mo. I would have gone to 2, but I just couldn't make it through my pregnancy.
Friend: Wow, you can make milk that long?
#8 of 1072 Old 12-21-2009, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by InMediasRes View Post
I don't get the big deal about teeth. I've had a lot of comments from people who seem to think it's sad when kids teethe late. My DS got his first at 11mo, and DD just got hers at almost 10mo.
The longer I can go without getting broken skin during a bite the better,thank you!
bananabee and Rachelh15 like this.

#9 of 1072 Old 12-21-2009, 07:16 PM
Banned

Are nonsense.
Once you keep this fact in mind, your life will be
much easier.
#10 of 1072 Old 12-22-2009, 02:43 AM

my daughter still doesnt have teeth yet at 13 months, MIL is VERY concerned that there is definitely something wrong with her. never mind that i didnt get teeth until 15 months, the same time my mom and grandma popped their first teeth. i guess nothing about my child could possibly resemble anything from MY side of the family!
#11 of 1072 Old 12-22-2009, 06:53 AM

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#12 of 1072 Old 12-22-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
I had actually gone a while without bad advice...and I realized it was because I hadn't really GONE anywhere :P
so true but thanks to the great www, advice is able to be giving online as well!

Getting back into the groove of being groovy!
#13 of 1072 Old 12-22-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
The longer I can go without getting broken skin during a bite the better,thank you!
actually, once the front teeth broke through, she stopped wanting to try to teethe on me.
#14 of 1072 Old 12-22-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackies Ladybug View Post
my daughter still doesnt have teeth yet at 13 months, MIL is VERY concerned that there is definitely something wrong with her. never mind that i didnt get teeth until 15 months, the same time my mom and grandma popped their first teeth. i guess nothing about my child could possibly resemble anything from MY side of the family!
When dh's cousin was a year old and still had no teeth, a nice ped asked the parents 'Have you ever seen a person who never grew any teeth?'

This calmed them.
bananabee likes this.
#15 of 1072 Old 12-22-2009, 12:33 PM

Hilarious thread! I guess you don't get teeth until you prove to them that you need them then, eh?

I think my favorite "advice" was that my kids are going to die of polio since I'm not vaccinating them. Because death by polio is really, really common! I also get told roughly 30-40 times per pregnancy that if I have a VBAC, my uterus will rupture and I will die, FOR SURE. Lol. Oookkkay.

Kaiti, in heartbeat.gif with Shane, astrological mama to spitdrink.gif Sophie *12.27.05*, praying.gif Maya *09.25.07*, sleepytime.gif Phoenix *08.23.09* & 3rdtri.gif due *12.04.11*  Having a hbac.gif waterbirth.jpg lotbirth.gif after 3 cesareans!

#16 of 1072 Old 12-22-2009, 12:38 PM
2xy

My BIL (who is DH's brother, and DH is not my kids' dad, so he is no relation to my kids) asked me (randomly and without provocation) what gives me the right to homeschool my children...?

Unfortunately, I work with this buffoon. And he is extremely arrogant and judgmental in many ways...this is just one of them, I guess.

I just looked at him and flatly said, "The Constitution."

He didn't say anything else about it after that.
#17 of 1072 Old 12-22-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litcrit View Post
When dh's cousin was a year old and still had no teeth, a nice ped asked the parents 'Have you ever seen a person who never grew any teeth?'

This calmed them.
Shirley Temple never got her secondary teeth, but that's a completely different thing.
#18 of 1072 Old 12-22-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post
My BIL (who is DH's brother, and DH is not my kids' dad, so he is no relation to my kids) asked me (randomly and without provocation) what gives me the right to homeschool my children...?

Unfortunately, I work with this buffoon. And he is extremely arrogant and judgmental in many ways...this is just one of them, I guess.

#19 of 1072 Old 12-22-2009, 01:06 PM

I was at a playground w/ a good friend recently our dd's, both 21 months were hanging out and playing. We were chatting and her 6 month old dd was in her car seat watching everything.

The woman sitting next to us said many many dumb things in the 15 min we were there before she left. This was my favorite.

Several of the older kids, including this woman's daughter and an older toddler boy (maybe 3 or 4 years old) had come over and were playing with my friend's 6 month old. This was fine with my friend and the baby was happy. The woman's daughter said, "Look mama we're playing with baby!" the woman's brilliant response. . .

"Oh, he dosen't want to play with the baby! He's a BOY!"

I guess that despite the fact that this little boy was in fact playing with a baby and smiling and laughing, that boys never never like babies.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#20 of 1072 Old 12-22-2009, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:

Awesome answer!

Mom to DD 7 and DS 5.
#21 of 1072 Old 12-22-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
From a recent party:

Friend: When did you wean DS? I think I might need to wean my DS (8mo).
Me: 19 mo. I would have gone to 2, but I just couldn't make it through my pregnancy.
Friend: Wow, you can make milk that long?
Thanks for the laugh!

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

#22 of 1072 Old 12-22-2009, 03:41 PM

The guy at lenscrafters this past weekend gave me a doozie. My 15 mo DD had accidentally broken my glasses, so I went to pick up a new pair.

While he's getting them all ready for me to put on, he says, "So your 15 mo broke your frames, huh? Do you spank??" I was appalled and said, "No! I don't believe in that." and he shook his head at me and raised his eyebrows and said,"You don't even have to hit that hard, just a swat on the butt is all it'll take. What if she does it again???"

I couldn't believe it. I was so angry. My daughter had no idea she did something "wrong" and honestly it was no big deal -- why on earth would hitting her solve or fix ANY of this??

As politely as I could, I said, "No I don't believe in hitting for any reason, thanks." and took my glasses and left. Ugh.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#23 of 1072 Old 12-22-2009, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Another from this weekend: (same guy actually)

*me changing DS's diaper*
D: Is that...
Me: Cloth diapers, yep.
D: Isnt' that expensive?
DH: Well, only at first but after the initial investment...
D: Oh, you wash them???
Me and DH: *pause and look at each other* yes...

I wanted to say, "Hell no, we're rolling in money and just throw them away after each pee!"

#24 of 1072 Old 12-25-2009, 06:56 PM

Time for some Holiday Hijinks in this thread. Nothing MAJOR here but annoying nonetheless. My MIL literally poured SODA into Lily's (20 month old) mouth today. Lily ONLY drinks water, and was in the process of drinking and enjoying some when Grandma came on over and said "Here, try some pop!" I said something about oh, she's just having some water, and MIL literally said (to Lily, not me, of course) "Come on, try it! It's better!"

I don't even want her having juice, for cripe's sake, but I could tolerate some watered-down juice if it's real juice and not 90% HFSC and dye - with permission. Because things are always SO TENSE with her about food, among many other things, and it's caused problems with DP, since I'm always the bad guy saying to to candy, sugar, allergens that we've explained a million times. Seriously, how hard is it to remember that gluten/wheat is a no-no? And how obscure a fact is it that anything made with freakin' FLOUR is therefore made of wheat and therefore is not okay? I could understand if someone didn't know that soy sauce has gluten, or malt, or beer, or something much less obvious, but how many times do I have to say no to BREAD and CAKE and PASTA and flipping TRISCUITS??

Anyway, so when it came to the soda, I literally froze. DP wasn't in the room, but his little brother had the sense to say "Come on, Mom, she doesn't need soda." She replied "It's Sierra Mist. It doesn't have caffeine," (yeah, because that's the only issue) and then tried to give her more! Lily wanted nothing to do with it. Good for her, but why did she have to even have that first gulp???

DP agreed that next time I AM allowed to refuse, or he will if he's there. Because there will be a next time.
#25 of 1072 Old 12-25-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:

Bravo.
#26 of 1072 Old 12-25-2009, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#27 of 1072 Old 12-26-2009, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This Christmas from the MIL who gave DS caffinated diet soda at thanksgiving.

MIL to DS, "Do you want some fudge?"
me without thinking. (I'm getting better at asserting myself ) "Under no circumstance does that baby want fudge"
MIL "Oh, I know I was joking"

Were you joking woman? DH and I just has a conversation that you weren't allowed to hold DS if you were anywhere near anything you could feed him. He likes to eat cheese and gnaw on teething crackers, why can't you stick to those things!

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#28 of 1072 Old 12-28-2009, 02:33 AM

On the subject of teeth...

When my son sprouted his first two teeth at 4 months, my ex-h's grandma told me that it was not good that my son was teething so early since teeth that come in too early are no good. She also told me that it was bad he didn't cry because his lungs would never properly develop.

Nursing bras should not double as birth control!
#29 of 1072 Old 12-28-2009, 04:27 AM

Quote:

I mean, I guess if I was going to give my 6mo pistachios or something... otherwise, I don't think they're really deprived.
I wish MY kids were late teethers! I have been bitten and scraped by teeth while nursing since both of my LOs were 4 months old- for extended breastfeeders, and CLW types, late teeth are a blessing!

Momma to G 12/06 A 2/09, AND ANNOUNCING... Welcome big boy! A 5/10/10 9 lbs 10 oz! We and had our 3rd UP/UC!
#30 of 1072 Old 12-28-2009, 03:07 PM

DH's friend told him "Your dad should be the scariest man on the earth." as advice on his relationship with DS. Luckily, my DH wants to have a GOOD relationship with our son.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page