Hatred of photo taking - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 189 Old 12-26-2009, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you do when one member of your family will NOT allow themselves to be photographed? Like ever?

I'm so sad over this and it's been going on now for 2+ years. It started out gradually with refusing a full smile, to now a full on glare or a hand in front of the face.

Our tradition of family photographs for Christmas cards is over. Our last years was ruined, but I sent it out anyway because I paid for them. It was 3 happy smiling people with one child giving death ray eyes at the camera.

Her school picture this year appears to be that of a forlorn and very angry child. Last year's was a very very tiny smile. I can't hang them on the wall or give them out. She looks miserable, and I don't want the whole "What's wrong with her?!" questions and then when I say "She hates having her picture taken" they say "No child of mine would have gotten away with that crap!" (Oookay you have figured out the cure?)

Yesterday the kids were opening presents. One child full on smiles and cooperation, the other child gave me the "talk to the hand" motion thing and she holds her head down so her hair is in her face.

I have over 2 years of scrapbooks/albums on hold because well we have really no pictures of the oldest child. Aside from the angry eyes when we do happen to capture her by mere chance, and the pictures obscured by her hand or hair 99.999% of them.

I've had it. I agree that it's her right to object, or not be photographed. I don't even try anymore, or I'll take a picture of whatever she's willing to give me, the side of her face with her hair totally covering her face, or her back.

I'm just really frankly sick of it.

I went through an awkward stage where I didn't enjoy photos, but I never ran from cameras, or totally opted out of family photos.

Relatives are asking questions and I keep saying she hates having her picture taken.

I guess the worst part is the heartbreak over not being able to preserve memories because they are tainted by her ruining pictures or refusing to be in them.

How do I record family life and explain no dd #1?

It's really stressing me out.

(And we've reasoned and asked and talked. She just flat out doesn't want her picture taken. She's Aspergers-ish, though undiagnosed so I don't know if that plays into it.)

And she's beautiful. Dark dark hair, very white skin and striking blue/green eyes. I haven't seen her smile or seen her whole face since she got a hair cut and was dipped into the hairwashing tub, and I saw her pretty little face for once.
#2 of 189 Old 12-26-2009, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Have you offered to give her veto over any photos after the fact? Maybe she is worried she won't like the photos & they'll end up in the family albums. Ask if you can take the photos & then she can go through them with you before any one else gets to see them & delete any she truly doesn't like.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#3 of 189 Old 12-26-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post
Have you offered to give her veto over any photos after the fact? Maybe she is worried she won't like the photos & they'll end up in the family albums. Ask if you can take the photos & then she can go through them with you before any one else gets to see them & delete any she truly doesn't like.
This sounds like a great idea.

What about a reward?

Single Mom with a BF  stillheart.gif  Mommy to 2 girlsphotosmile2.gif blahblah.gif & 2 boys jog.gifsuperhero.gif nocirc.gif

wash.gif banghead.gif Using the Law of Attraction candle.gif om.gif Loving my Family  cat.gif 

#4 of 189 Old 12-26-2009, 08:06 PM

As someone who has never liked to be photographed, I'd say just respect her wishes and drop it. You don't need to offer excuses to other people.
#5 of 189 Old 12-26-2009, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
i am like your dd in a different sorta way.

i dont believe in pictures. more people take pictures of my dd than i do.

for me my thougths are my best scrap book. the whole feeling around it - the sights, smell, sound.

i would really just talk to your dd heart to heart. just let her know you want just a few pictures. what seh is doing in the picture is really not your concern. i understand where seh is coming from. i have taken professional photographs maybe twice in dd's 7 years. they are soo 'happy' and false according to me. my fav pictures are impromptu ones that capture their personality.

my friend's 7 year old also HATES his picture taken. but his mom and i have spoken to him and asked him to just be in a picture just once or twice. like when he lost all his front tooth, he did allow one picture. mostly they are direct serious looks. but taht's waht makes the photograph precious to me coz it shows his personality.

i dont need photographs of my dd. they all live in my heart. and seriously the only person who is intereted in the photographs are just me. others dont really care that much.

thought you might enjoy hearing from another camera shy person.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#6 of 189 Old 12-26-2009, 08:07 PM

I might bribe for a picture. It's all for you, it's not like it'll matter if she doesn't develop any intrinsic desire to have herself photographed, you know? Does she let you wash her hair?

And how old is she?

Mommy to kids

#7 of 189 Old 12-26-2009, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes. It isn't about her thinking she looks bad in photos, it's about control and her not wanting her photo taken period. She ducks and covers her face every single time. In previous years we've used real live animal props (her cat for instance lol) in the family photo, or we've allowed her to be in profile so she doesn't really have to smile. Now it's no photo period.

She takes my camera and deletes ANY and ALL pictures of herself.

Rewards and bribing have never worked with her.

She's 14 btw, and this photo-aversion thing started gradually when she was in the 6th grade.

She's very stubborn. If she doesn't want to do something it's not happening.

She hates any attention being drawn to herself, she's an introvert and it's getting more pronounced the older she gets.

I guess I allowed it at first out of respect, I certainly don't enjoy people taking my picture when I'd rather not be in one.

Seems I've created a monster, as she doesn't feel obligated to ever be photographed.
#8 of 189 Old 12-26-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFmom View Post
As someone who has never liked to be photographed, I'd say just respect her wishes and drop it. You don't need to offer excuses to other people.
Absolutely. I hate having my picture taken. I think that this needs to be respected. I DEEPLY believe that this needs to be respected.
#9 of 189 Old 12-26-2009, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

I got a lot of feedback right after I posted!

She's 14. She's never been bribable. We've offered HUGE incentives before and it's a "no."

So for the "I hate pictures, leave her alone" voters- what about family albums years down the road when it appears little sister was loved and doted on more?

What if she regrets it, or feels pain when she grows up when she sees no her in the family pictures?

I just (as a highly sensitive and sentimental person from an abusive and neglectful background who is very very worried about doing her children right) cannot make scrapbooks and make an album that says "Christmas 2009" and have captions "DD #2 decorating the tree. DD #2 decorating cookies. DD #2 opening presents." No DD #1. Or "DD #1's hand as she opens presents. DD #1's death ray glare on a supposedly happy occasion."

How do I enclose pictures of my kids in cards for my parents when one child looks horrible in her picture? I actually feel that it's borderline abusive to let anyone see her school picture this year. She looks like she's about to cry. When I've only sent one child's picture they all say "Why didn't you get retakes?"

I don't know what to do. I'm just sick of it.

I totally get not wanting your picture taken, but I can't get her to even do a couple of token photos.

The ones I have are ruined by her sullen angry glare, or her turning her back on the photo.

Is it a phase?
#10 of 189 Old 12-26-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
That's a great idea if that didn't work I would do what EFmom said and let it go and not force her to be in photos against her wishes.

I don't think you should use bribes on kids but that's just me....

Sam, mum to: Ian, James, Lottie, Maddy, Jack, Ruby, Bronte & Sophia and Nate
#11 of 189 Old 12-26-2009, 08:25 PM

Ah, she's 14. I was thinking she was 3 or 4. Sorry.

My mom is also like this. She is a PITA to get to pose for pictures. I finally blew up at her and pointed out one day that it wasn't all about her and that I wanted the pictures for myself because she wasn't going to live forever and I wanted to be able to show my grandkids what she looked like and have pictures for myself to remember her. She's in her 60s, though, so able to be slightly less selfish.

BUT! I do think it's selfish. I hope none of the pps are offended, but pictures are really not for the photographed, unless you're getting portraits at Sears. It's for the loved ones who want to have a picture of you. So maybe you could point that out to her.

Mommy to kids

#12 of 189 Old 12-26-2009, 08:31 PM

My husband is the same way, it's so annoying to me. We had "family pics" taken yesterday at the holiday get together. Me and my 2 boys. My husband was playing Wii and wouldn't participate, he hates pictures. It sucks to be honest, I have literally 3 or 4 pictures of him with the boys.... it makes me sad.

I sympathize with your OP, I wish I could offer some advice...

Michelle, Mama to ~ F (10/06) ~ S (7/08) ~ H (2/11) ~ B (11/12)
Expecting a surprise (5/15)
#13 of 189 Old 12-26-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuamami View Post
Ah, she's 14. I was thinking she was 3 or 4. Sorry.

My mom is also like this. She is a PITA to get to pose for pictures. I finally blew up at her and pointed out one day that it wasn't all about her and that I wanted the pictures for myself because she wasn't going to live forever and I wanted to be able to show my grandkids what she looked like and have pictures for myself to remember her. She's in her 60s, though, so able to be slightly less selfish.

BUT! I do think it's selfish. I hope none of the pps are offended, but pictures are really not for the photographed, unless you're getting portraits at Sears. It's for the loved ones who want to have a picture of you. So maybe you could point that out to her.
As someone who hates being photographed, this doesn't fly for me. It's not going to make me any less uncomfortable getting my photo taken. Unless you are going to pay to have a professional take good candid shots of me then no. Photos of me taken by regular people or those horrible posed portrait shots look nothing like the way I look in real life so it would be useless as a reminder photo anyway.

I would just drop it, if she's as stubborn as I am, you'll just make the issue worse by pressing it.
#14 of 189 Old 12-26-2009, 08:38 PM

Saying this as one formerly abused child to another--stop projecting your fears onto her.

I think forcing children to smile and be happy for the family photograph is just as abusive as sending an imperfect one out. Who are you to tell her that she looks "awful" just because she ducked or put her hand up? Why not just be able to accept her as is. Surely your family knows this quirk of hers (I assume she does this for all photos, not just yours). So what's the big deal? They know you love her. You don't need the perfect family photograph for her to feel loved.

If she feels slighted now, seeing better photographs will NOT make it better in the future. And if she feels whole and loved by you and her family, then even the worst photograph cannot take it away.

It really sounds like the person with the problem is you. And I don't say this to be mean. You have no idea how many times I have had to bite my tongue to bleeding and literally sit on my hands to keep from pestering my children to death for a nice image so that I can prove to the world that my family is great, that they will remember it as great, so no one can accuse me of having it be less than great--even though I know that it's all a lie (that a photo is evidence for or against, or that it will build or destroy memories), and I know how hollow picture perfect images ring for me when I look at the family portraits of my childhood (I have them, but feel ill at the thought of displaying them)...I still want that.

And that is MY problem, not my child's. I finally was able to let go of controlling the school pictures this year.

You cannot answer the what ifs that she might feel in the future because you have absolutely no control over it. That doesn't have anything to do with pictures. And other people are going to think what they think no matter what. Yeah, it sucks that you always wanted to have nice portraits for holiday cards or to put into scrapbooks. I get that, really, I do. I do. But that is your need to fill your desire. It's okay to be mad and sad about it. But eventually you've got to just deal with reality too. Unless you're going to bind her hands and aquanet her hair in place, you can't make your DD do anything. So perhaps you can negotiate with her for OTHER things you can put into the scrapbook (her art? her writing?). And maybe you can try to cultivate a sense of humor about the pictures (I see no harm in getting one done per year, or so, as long as you don't have the expectation that it'll change. Maybe it will and you can have a wonderful suprise. Who knows.)

But the picture is not the memories. It won't replace parenting and love. Your DD may regret it or not, but you can't rewind time, and it's really her decision. If she decides to have her picture taken nicely in the future, then you'll be able to have those pictures. But I don't think you can force someone to have a nice picture if they don't want to. It's okay to grieve that if it's really important to you, that's probably just part of the process of coming to terms with things.

But you can't live your life wondering about someone else's uncontrollable what ifs. Even if they're your kid.
#15 of 189 Old 12-26-2009, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

A lot of what you've said is not the reality of my situation. I'm trying to do what is best for my daughter. I've got it now, no more pictures. I'm ok with that, it's still sad to me though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerchild View Post
Saying this as one formerly abused child to another--stop projecting your fears onto her. I'm saying I don't want her to feel like I loved her less when in 10 years she goes through pictures and sees relatively none of herself.

I think forcing children to smile and be happy for the family photograph is just as abusive as sending an imperfect one out. I've NEVER once asked her to force a smile or happiness in a photo, most of her childhood pictures are candid photos, very nice ones. She now actually glares at the camera- that's not acceptable for photos you plan on sending to people. So I have stopped trying.Who are you to tell her that she looks "awful" just because she ducked or put her hand up? Where did I say I told her she looked "awful"? I've NEVER in the history of my daughters life told her she looked awful. I've told her that I don't want a picture of her hand. And I've said "You don't have to smile. I'm not trying to take a picture of YOU, but of the room full of people so just ignore me. You don't have to look into the camera. You don't have to pose. You don't have to smile. You don't....blah blah blah. I'm telling you people on this message board that photos with a blurry hand in them over the face of the subject look awful. Her glaring in a family Christmas picture (not just not smiling, but actual glaring) is awful. It isn't that she looks awful, it's just an awful situation. Her school pictures were awful, she doesn't like them either. Who wants a picture of a child about to cry? And I NEVER told her they were awful, I just said "Hey, you look upset in your school picture what happened?" And she told me the photographer was a jerk. End of story. I didn't bemoan the fact that imo the pictures were ruined, and I didn't force her to do retakes......Why not just be able to accept her as is. Surely your family knows this quirk of hers (I assume she does this for all photos, not just yours). So what's the big deal? Mostly I don't want her to grow up and feel that she wasn't as loved as little sister because she has no evidence of her growing up years. They know you love her. You don't need the perfect family photograph for her to feel loved. I'm not interested in the perfect family picture- I'm not that person. There's no perfect here. I don't lick my kids hair and faces before we get out of the car to enter a store like my mom did lol. We've actually never had a family portrait taken. The family Christmas picture I spoke of was always a goofy picture (we've done funny things through the years) taken candidly by us with a timer.) My mom thinks it's hilarious and great that DD is asserting herself. I do accept her. I am trying to come to grips with this. I'm actually not photograph obsessed. I'm a horrible procrastinating scrapbooker, and I don't hover and document every micro event in my children's lives. I actually don't really even like taking pictures, but do on occasion so we can look back later on and see how the kids looked at different ages.

If she feels slighted now, seeing better photographs will NOT make it better in the future. And if she feels whole and loved by you and her family, then even the worst photograph cannot take it away. I don't think she feels slighted right now. Right now she's just not interested in pictures. I get that. I do, it's just like it's finally dawned on me really and I'm grieving. I get a lot of flack about it, and it's upsetting to me because I love her.

It really sounds like the person with the problem is you. I don't think I phrased it as "her problem", I was mostly curious if it's common or if I was alone in having a kid that didn't want to be photographed.)And I don't say this to be mean. I hear you, it's ok I know it's not mean.You have no idea how many times I have had to bite my tongue to bleeding and literally sit on my hands to keep from pestering my children to death for a nice image so that I can prove to the world that my family is great, I've never tried to prove that. It's not about other people, it's about my kid turning from a completely happy to be photographed kid (not forced smiles, just reg old candid stuff) to a child that will not allow me to preserve her image.that they will remember it as great, so no one can accuse me of having it be less than great--even though I know that it's all a lie (that a photo is evidence for or against, or that it will build or destroy memories), and I know how hollow picture perfect images ring for me when I look at the family portraits of my childhood (I have them, but feel ill at the thought of displaying them)...I still want that. Well exactly, I'd rather not take her picture at all if she looks like she's going to commit homicide, or cry. I don't want to embarrass her, or harrass her, or disrespect her.

And that is MY problem, not my child's. I finally was able to let go of controlling the school pictures this year. I'm ok with letting go of "control", but the thing is do I just not buy a picture package knowing I'm going to get a pissed off looking kid? Or does that say, "I don't love you as much because you won't smile in your picture so I'm not going to buy them? Seriously I don't want her to be hurt.

You cannot answer the what ifs that she might feel in the future because you have absolutely no control over it. That doesn't have anything to do with pictures. And other people are going to think what they think no matter what. Yeah, it sucks that you always wanted to have nice portraits for holiday cards or to put into scrapbooks. I get that, really, I do. I do. But that is your need to fill your desire. It's okay to be mad and sad about it. But eventually you've got to just deal with reality too. Unless you're going to bind her hands and aquanet her hair in place, you can't make your DD do anything. I never posted about making her do it. I was posting about being sad about the fact that it's not possible.So perhaps you can negotiate with her for OTHER things you can put into the scrapbook (her art? her writing?). And maybe you can try to cultivate a sense of humor about the pictures (I see no harm in getting one done per year, or so, as long as you don't have the expectation that it'll change. Maybe it will and you can have a wonderful suprise. Who knows.) We do have a sense of humor. When she brought home her school pictures and her dad saw them and gasped and said "Oh my gosh!" She put her hand over her mouth because she was giggling.

But the picture is not the memories. It won't replace parenting and love. Your DD may regret it or not, but you can't rewind time, and it's really her decision. If she decides to have her picture taken nicely in the future, then you'll be able to have those pictures. But I don't think you can force someone to have a nice picture if they don't want to. It's okay to grieve that if it's really important to you, that's probably just part of the process of coming to terms with things.

But you can't live your life wondering about someone else's uncontrollable what ifs. Even if they're your kid.
Anyway....this has sort of spun out of control, and we've looked at all the facets of photo hatred vs controlling mommy who wants to force cheesiness to prove to the world that she's a good mommy......

I was just sad about pictures. That's all really.

I'm going to let it go and not even ask her anymore.
#16 of 189 Old 12-26-2009, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcelain Interior View Post
I got a lot of feedback right after I posted!

She's 14. She's never been bribable. We've offered HUGE incentives before and it's a "no."

So for the "I hate pictures, leave her alone" voters- what about family albums years down the road when it appears little sister was loved and doted on more?

Ask her what she would like you to save. A poem, short story, art work, song, science project, etc...that she created might be a better way to represent her.

What if she regrets it, or feels pain when she grows up when she sees no her in the family pictures?

She might not. I refused to sit for a lot of family photos, and I have no regret. I was missing from the photo by MY choice, I'm quite fine with that. If you coerce her into the photos, there's a chance that when she looks at the photos she'll remember the resentment, not thank you for forcing her. She's 14, she'll remember why she wasn't in the photos.

I just (as a highly sensitive and sentimental person from an abusive and neglectful background who is very very worried about doing her children right) cannot make scrapbooks and make an album that says "Christmas 2009" and have captions "DD #2 decorating the tree. DD #2 decorating cookies. DD #2 opening presents." No DD #1. Or "DD #1's hand as she opens presents. DD #1's death ray glare on a supposedly happy occasion."

Are these candid photos where you inobtussively take photos of the kids doing things, or are you saying "now smile for the camera!" or "stop just like that so I can get a photo!"? If you happen to be getting the photos the second way you might want to try the first. The interruptions for documentation can feel very intrusive and interrupt the flow of the fun, and for some people it feels like the photographer is trying to control their life.

How do I enclose pictures of my kids in cards for my parents when one child looks horrible in her picture? I actually feel that it's borderline abusive to let anyone see her school picture this year. She looks like she's about to cry. When I've only sent one child's picture they all say "Why didn't you get retakes?"

It sounds like a lot of those photos are posed photos. Those can be really really stressful to someone who isn't comfortable getting photographed. What about doing collages instead? You could have photos of each of the cooperative children, and then ask your daughter to choose a piece of her artwork to represent her, or if there happens to be a candid photo she likes (the best photos are candids), or even a photo of her hand or something...whatever she's comfortable with as a representation of her.

Or would she be willing to make a self portrait on a popsicle stick to hold in front of her face in photos? I reallise it's not traditional, but she would still be represented in the photos, and since she would have control over her image it may help her feel comfortable. Or maybe she could have a signature hat that hid her face? Does she like books? She could be "reading" a book in some photos. If the photos are light hearted it could work. If you wanted to ballance it out, everybody else could choose costumes to fit their personality or something.

I don't know what to do. I'm just sick of it.

Be openminded, and creative.

I totally get not wanting your picture taken, but I can't get her to even do a couple of token photos.

The ones I have are ruined by her sullen angry glare, or her turning her back on the photo.

Is it a phase?
Relax, lack of photos is not neglect or abuse.
#17 of 189 Old 12-26-2009, 09:03 PM

Oh, I thought she was younger too, 6 or 7.

I think you just have to respect her. Yeah, it is really disappointing, but you'll have to find peace with this, and so will the rest of the family.

She's old enough now to know in the future why her sister will be in the spotlight.

Single Mom with a BF  stillheart.gif  Mommy to 2 girlsphotosmile2.gif blahblah.gif & 2 boys jog.gifsuperhero.gif nocirc.gif

wash.gif banghead.gif Using the Law of Attraction candle.gif om.gif Loving my Family  cat.gif 

#18 of 189 Old 12-26-2009, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelsmama View Post
Relax, lack of photos is not neglect or abuse.
This is a HUGE bullseye for me. I am crying. Thank you for saying that.

I needed to hear that.
#19 of 189 Old 12-26-2009, 09:54 PM

PI, if other people are giving you flack about it, then they are being mean or oblivious, in which case they have no right or basis for judging you!

To be honest, with school pictures I just order the class picture, and the minimal picture pack (normally a 5x7 plus a few wallets to take up the rest of the sheet). My photoshy child (1 out of 3 hates photos) generally wants the class picture (well, all of them seem more excited about that, but after elementary school there won't be class pictures I assume), otherwise I'd just order the minimum so that when relatives crab at me about not having a picture, they can have one. May not be what they wanted, but oh well...their problem not mine.

Again, I think it's okay to grieve. I just didn't want you to worry about the other stuff, because it really isn't evidence of favortism or less love if there aren't as many pictures--by request! If anything, that proves that you treated your kiddos as individuals, and that you respect and honor your daughter's wishes. To me, that's worth more than being like everyone else or what other people want, KWIM?
#20 of 189 Old 12-26-2009, 10:05 PM

We believe in mostly CL. That means that 1 person doesn't get to wreck things for everyone else. We do things that are good for everyone.

At the age of 14 she's old enough to suffer through and let her picture be taken. It's no longer a phase and straight disrespect to the rest of the family. She's not a toddler anymore.

I can't imagine letting it go on for that long. It really has nothing to do with her comfort any more. You aren't even asking her to do anything. Being in a candid photo requires no effort on her part. You are simply asking her not do something which actively ruins the photo.

Although, I would personally keep taking pictures of her regardless of what she does. If you don't want to make a big issue about it, then just ignore her selfish behavior. Take the candid photos, put them in scrap books, show them to people just like normal.
#21 of 189 Old 12-26-2009, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Eh, I'm no shutterbug. My two teens don't love to have their pics taken but I only insist on a shot or two every few months for a special event.

Instead of bribing, I would take away a privilege. You, as the parent, have a right to have a good photo or two of your child. If nothing else for safety reasons, YKWIM?

Also, what about future events? Will she refuse to be photographed a s bride? As a new mom? As a graduate from XYZ college? This is one of those things I do think she should be strongly encouraged to "get over".
#22 of 189 Old 12-26-2009, 10:20 PM

You know it is possible to keep a memory book of DD1 without photos. In this situation, I would start a journal about DD1 so she has something in the future to use to look back. No photos, just mom writing about her and her accomplishments and maybe a few momentos from the time. My friend hates getting his picture taken, always has, but he has a box of little keepsakes to remember the important things that happened.

Just want to say to some of the PP, not wanting your picture taken is not selfish behaviour, nor is it something that needs to be grown out of.

Candid photos are even worse for someone who doesn't like their picture taken, it's violating their personal boundaries without even consulting them first.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#23 of 189 Old 12-26-2009, 10:28 PM

Oh, I hated having my picture taken in jr high/high school. Because every picture of me turned out crappy! My kids were just getting hysterical looking at pictures of me in my HS yearbooks. And the candids of me in there were even worse than my class picture (especially one memorable one of me after a cross country race :Puke) so I don't think candids are necessarily a solution.

The only thing I could think of is maybe she would like to get some photos done by a professional photog?? Or there used to be those places in malls that did "glamour" shots where they did your makeup too, I don't know, are those still around? I think that would have appealed to me at that age. Of course, that's not for everyone.
#24 of 189 Old 12-26-2009, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
P Interior, what i got from this thread is that you have a budding unique child on your hand who stands up so strong. she sounds like she is full of confidence and not scared to tell the world who she is. i am v. impressed you dd refuses to give in. shows such strength of character. yeah even i didnt realise she was 14. but knowing that i am in awe of her. but i think oh boy. its some tough years ahead for you.

she probably may never enjoy having her picture taken. however i do agree with Tigerchild that it is your issue.

personally for me her in the family picture with glare is what would make your picture stand out compared to the others.

it wont surprise me if when she moves out she refuses to take the album you lovingly made with all her pictures thru the ages. i have known quite a few who have actually thrown their albums out. yeah. they do exist.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#25 of 189 Old 12-26-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
Just want to say to some of the PP, not wanting your picture taken is not selfish behaviour, nor is it something that needs to be grown out of.

Candid photos are even worse for someone who doesn't like their picture taken, it's violating their personal boundaries without even consulting them first.
How is it not selfish to want to prevent someone from having any kind of permanent memories of you? I have a crappy memory. DD is only 3 and there are many times I'm going through pictures on the computer (and we have lots of backups including ones kept at my in-laws just in case our house burns down) and see things I'd completely forgotten about.

Also, just because a picture is "candid" doesn't mean there isn't warning given. At least, not in my family. I means that it's not a formal posed picture. The person is still given a chance to ask about their hair or finish swallowing.
#26 of 189 Old 12-26-2009, 10:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post

Agree with you on the candids. I don't believe in chasing folks down or surprising them.

But, I'm a very visual person. I've worked hard as parent and I deserve to have a few pictures a year of my children as they grow. This does not make me a bad parent in any way, shape or form. There are a handful of things that a child should just buck up and do for a loving parent. Really.
#27 of 189 Old 12-26-2009, 10:51 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Don't be more concerned about looking like a happy family (on film) than actually being a happy family.

Is she a happy person in general? If so, great. Let the picture thing go. If not, I'd be a lot more concerned about that. I'd work on getting her in counseling, trying new hobbies, spending more one-on-one time with you--whatever it took to make her happy. Not so you could get pictures of her, but so she could be happier.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#28 of 189 Old 12-26-2009, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post

Also, what about future events? Will she refuse to be photographed a s bride? As a new mom? As a graduate from XYZ college? This is one of those things I do think she should be strongly encouraged to "get over".
She's 14. Unless she's getting married at 16 or having a baby at 15 I don't really see how her feelings about being photographed now are that relevant to the future events you mention. When she graduates or gets married or has a baby she will be an adult and probably feel differently about herself. She will have a completely different level of control over the photography process too, which can make a difference. And if she decides not to have those photos taken it will probably not be as big a deal as you may imagine. I don't have grad photos, or wedding photos, and somehow it has never been a problem. On the other hand, I have a friend who had lovely wedding photos done and her relatives have given her a hard time because they aren't their style.
#29 of 189 Old 12-26-2009, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I had years and years of avoiding photos. I felt so awkward and ugly. I felt humilated when I looked at the pictures (I was neither awkward nor ugly, just uncomfortable and lacking in confidence). I still don't enjoy having my picture taken. It has occurred to me that if, God forbid, something happens to me, my child will have maybe three photos of us together. She will think I was never around and I'm with her every minute of the day. However, having my photo taken brings up every insecurity I have. If this is not the way you think (general you), there is no way to explain it to you. It makes me very sad and I'm working on it.

For a 14 year old, I would try a few things. First, I'd try letting her get interested in photography. Maybe if she can have some input in setting up the shot, she might be more inclined to participate. She has all year to work on taking photos. Maybe by next holiday season, she'll feel more comfortable.

Second, I'd just lay off for a year and see what happens. It's one year. As others have said, you can still scrapbook and journal about her so she has some meaningful memories of the year to look backon.

Third, start looking for more creative and editorial photos. She may never agree to be in candids, but if you can get a few good family photos a year that aren't staged and corny, that still look good, you might all be ok with it. I've gotten some very creative holiday photos this year - especially the ones with more than one kid. I've seen them where one child is kind of running away while the others grin at the camera, another with one child sitting on a chair and doing something else (reading? writing in a journal? I can't remember). They look so great because you can see the kids personalities represented and they look semi-candid and not stiff.

At 14, I so very much hated having someone take my photo. I felt corny and self conscious and ugly and weird. I didn't WANT to make a big attention-hogging deal out of it but people (esp one aunt) just wouldn't get off my case about it. Let it go for a year. See what happens. Tell her you're not going to pressure her but if she can't be in the photos, would she be willing to take the pictures or help you think of ideas for photos so at least part of her is still "in" the photo. That would have made a good compromise for me, I think.
#30 of 189 Old 12-26-2009, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Wow so many opinions, see this is why I've been so confused about how to proceed.

She hasn't always hated photos, only since age 12, she just became really uncomfortable with it. She's the sweetest kid, shy and well just she's my heart. I had her when I was 17, and she's an honor student. She's her own person and she's struggling right now with some anxiety/depression issues which she's being seen for. So it's not just that she's a stubborn kid not wanting her picture taken, there's so much more to her, and I don't want to make her pull into herself even more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post
I had years and years of avoiding photos. I felt so awkward and ugly. I felt humilated when I looked at the pictures (I was neither awkward nor ugly, just uncomfortable and lacking in confidence). I still don't enjoy having my picture taken. It has occurred to me that if, God forbid, something happens to me, my child will have maybe three photos of us together. She will think I was never around and I'm with her every minute of the day. However, having my photo taken brings up every insecurity I have. If this is not the way you think (general you), there is no way to explain it to you. It makes me very sad and I'm working on it.

For a 14 year old, I would try a few things. First, I'd try letting her get interested in photography. Maybe if she can have some input in setting up the shot, she might be more inclined to participate. She has all year to work on taking photos. Maybe by next holiday season, she'll feel more comfortable.

We've tried to give her control of the annual Christmas photo, and she got a very very nice camera for her birthday last year. She isn't into taking pictures of humans, and has amassed a photo collecton of stuffed animal montages, and live animal shots. She's also into taking short videos of her little sister doing scripts she writes and acting out various things. Being in the picture just isn't something she's willing to do.

Second, I'd just lay off for a year and see what happens. It's one year. As others have said, you can still scrapbook and journal about her so she has some meaningful memories of the year to look backon.

Third, start looking for more creative and editorial photos. She may never agree to be in candids, but if you can get a few good family photos a year that aren't staged and corny, that still look good, you might all be ok with it. I've gotten some very creative holiday photos this year - especially the ones with more than one kid. I've seen them where one child is kind of running away while the others grin at the camera, another with one child sitting on a chair and doing something else (reading? writing in a journal? I can't remember). They look so great because you can see the kids personalities represented and they look semi-candid and not stiff.

At 14, I so very much hated having someone take my photo. I felt corny and self conscious and ugly and weird. I didn't WANT to make a big attention-hogging deal out of it but people (esp one aunt) just wouldn't get off my case about it. Let it go for a year. See what happens. Tell her you're not going to pressure her but if she can't be in the photos, would she be willing to take the pictures or help you think of ideas for photos so at least part of her is still "in" the photo. That would have made a good compromise for me, I think.
I haven't stopped taking photos, but I've stopped trying to get her into them. I just take pictures with no pressure and very rarely do I take hers.

At the beach this past summer she had the most beautiful smile on her face and my friend started to take her picture (a friend that didn't know she hated pictures) and her face fell and she turned away from the camera.

My friend said, "Wow she is so beautiful!"

So it's sort of sad that she hides herself, but at this time in her life she's feeling awkward and not liking the attention, I felt similar as a child (to a little less of a degree) and am trying to honor her feelings and help her work through this time of change in her life as she adjusts and gets use to the new world. (She's had a rough time adjusting to junior high.)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page