Christmas gifts that are continually not ideal, and general etiquette - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 122 Old 01-21-2010, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandiRhoades View Post
I think she's viewing the son as the recipient (which is true) rather than his mom.
Right. The son is the ultimate recipient of the gift. However, that doesn't automatically mean that the son's likes or desires trump everything else. The child is part of family and, as you said, there needs to be balance. The parents of the child ultimately get to decide what values they want to raise their children with. If that means no plastic, no battery operated toys, no made in China stuff, then that is the parent's decision, and the parent's alone, to make. What I am saying is that, while it is admirable that the grandparents want to make their grandchild happy, sometimes there are other considerations to take into account. I think that the parent's wishes need to be respected as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 122 Old 01-21-2010, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have had a very similar situation with MIL as well. It's not about being snobby or hurtful. It's really about HATING to throw the gifts from grandma out, that's why we make "suggestions" on what to buy.
As an example; when my SPD son was 2.5 and terrified of the vacuum cleaner, blender, etc and loved nothing more than his plastic dinosaurs and Duplo blocks, he got one of those battery powered ride-on Jeeps for Christmas (the huge, 2 kid one). Uhm, hello? he's afraid of a 3-inch meowing stuffed cat. Oh, and we lived in a 2nd-floor walk up, 1 bedroom, 600 square foot apartment. So that Jeep was about the size of half our living room. And I was 7 months pregnant. And it was winter in Canada. And MIL was so hurt and baffled as to why it would be a "stay at grandma's house" toy. So I do get it.
By the way that Jeep was poignantly placed in the middle of their living room of their huge house (with a garage and backyard and all) for about 2 years. Just to show me it could be done? I don't know.

SAHM to one moody son J hat.gif(06-27-03), one super-girly daughter M hearts.gif (02-23-06) and welcome Sophie! energy.gif(05-23-10) expecting fourth in July baby.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page