What age do you start taking DC to the movies/play? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 01-02-2010, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To a children's movie and where they can actually last the entire time?

Or a play?

DH's cousin wants us to get together in April to see a play, her daughter will be 2, my DS will be 19 months then. The tickets are pricey so I want to kind of know that he'll get some enjoyment out of it. I'm thinking of taking him to a movie first to see how he acts.

I figure the movie is cheaper and can be a test run.

Mama to one 2 yr. old tornado banana.gif
#2 of 45 Old 01-02-2010, 06:15 PM

I went to the theatre for the first time at two and was fine. My sister was a bit older because she couldn't keep still or quiet for five minutes.

So I'd say it's kid dependant. Trying a movie first sounds like a good idea.
#3 of 45 Old 01-02-2010, 06:21 PM

Definitely kid dependent. My 5.5 yo still can't go to a movie and sit through the whole thing silently. The only plays he did okay at were the ones my older two kids did after acting camp. The last day, they did a series of really short plays (like 5 - 10 min) and DS did fine. But then they were in Treasure Island and I was wishing I had left youngest DS home!

What is the play? The children's theater here lists appropriate ages on their plays. Like "most enjoyed by families with children age 5 and up" or whatever.
#4 of 45 Old 01-02-2010, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
it depends on what is playing. that seems really young to get your moneys worth of entertainment out of it. its about more than just ebing able to sit through it. If they are not excited to go then why bother? I would honestly wait until my kids were old enough to ask to go. express interest first. if, however, it is a show like blues clues live or something where they may already be familiar with the characters, there would be active audience participation (singing and dancing) and you know they are not freaked out by charachters in costume they are probably old enough to enjoy it even if they weren't begging already.

the kidsin question seem really young to really enjoy it though. why not just find a small community (free) childrens theater fitst? get them used to it.

and theater is so much different than something on a screen. a 19 month old my enjoy watching dora every day but its likely not because she enjoys the characters or story lines. its more likely the music and flashing screen. theater does not have that same mezmerizing effect that a TV does but a movie might. although the sounds and lights and hiant people on a movie might seem scary to a baby.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#5 of 45 Old 01-02-2010, 06:41 PM

Definately kid dependant. I would have taken my oldest child to a play or movie at 2.5, but I still cannot take my youngest to a movie and expect that she will sit through the entire thing and she just turned 5, as she is easily bored by movies.

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi
#6 of 45 Old 01-02-2010, 06:45 PM

My DD was 4 when she saw her first movie. I think she was closer to 5 when we started going to plays. We go to plays a lot, but they're always geared for kids so that keeps her interest.

being able to sit through it vs. getting enjoyment out of it are 2 different questions

wild.gif  kickin' it old school
#7 of 45 Old 01-02-2010, 06:46 PM
ljc

I agree it is kid dependent. Live music and/or theater will always keep my kids attention better than a movie - so I don't know if I would use that as a measure. I don't think I would buy expensive tickets for kids under three. I have two four year olds and a six year old and its been my experience that once they hit three they could sit for a one hour production, but not much beyond that. Now that they are a bit older they can manage to sit a bit longer. My kids are very active so take this advice with a grain of salt. It would just be a bummer to spend a lot of money and have to walk out of a performance. Maybe try something on a smaller scale first.
#8 of 45 Old 01-02-2010, 06:49 PM

I think younger than two is really a waste of money, and stressful on you. It also depends on what the movie/play is, and how long it is, and if you are willking to let the kid eat candy/popcorn to get through it.

My kids started with kid movies at the theater at three (well, dd3 was younger as her older sisters wanted to go).

Finding Nemo was easier for her to sit through than Cars - which honestly bored me to tears too so I was happy to take her to the pet store across the street halfway through.

Nutcracker? Forget about it! My super well-behaved 13, 9 and 6 year old girls (who all take dance and love it) complain or fall asleep during it.

Honestly, younger than three (unless it is specifically FOR toddlers) is just a waste. I'd wait.
#9 of 45 Old 01-02-2010, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
DD2 is 3, likes movies but can't still through one yet. I remember DD1 being a little past 3.5 before she could sit there the whole time. We go to friend's plays often and I end up walking the halls with DD2, and the same thing if I take all of them to a movie.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#10 of 45 Old 01-02-2010, 08:14 PM

It totally depends on the kid. Our oldest was the kind of baby and toddler you could take anywhere. When she was two we took her to a two and a half hour production and she sat transfixed, with her eyes as big as saucers. At 2.5 she did fine at the nutcracker. Our only issue was that, although I had seen that particular production before, I'd forgotten how "scary" the rat king bit was.

On the other hand, older DS is 20 months and he only got through DD's Christmas concert because we so happened to have a box of candy canes with us. When we go to the puppet shows at the library, a lot of the kids under the age of 2.5 or 3 can barely handle sitting quietly on a carpet square for fifteen minutes.

I agree that little kids are usually more easily engaged by a live production than a movie.

Anyway, if you've got a toddler who would enjoy a play and who would be able to sit through it, you'll know it.

If you do decide to go, here's my tip. We've taken older DD to a lot of live shows, and when she was small she never sat in her own seat. Often she couldn't keep the folding theatre seat down, and she could never see over the person sitting in front of her. Since she was always in somebody's lap anyway, I started buying two single seats instead of looking for two seats together if that allowed us to get a better seat. We would both sit in the "good seat" and the other would be left empty.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#11 of 45 Old 01-02-2010, 09:05 PM

my dd loves movies, she sat thru her first movie at abt 2....we didn't let her watch too much tv so she was all into the movie. took her to the ballet in feb though (she was 6) and she couldn't keep her eyes open, even though she was super excited to go.
#12 of 45 Old 01-02-2010, 10:05 PM

We've never gone to the movies (dh and I don't either..ever) so no experience with that. However, my sone was 6 months old when I started taking to him to local concerts, 2 for his first child geared play (but a full on stage production play for elementary aged children), and 2 for the symphony's youth program (the sit down forum, not the move around type of concerts they have). He is the type of kid who did fine in all of these scenarios, but I do think there is a big difference between a movie on a screen and a live performance. It also depends on the subject matter. At 5 years old my ds now enjoys the adult symphony programs, plays and recently the ballet (Nutcracker). Try it and see how it goes!

mom to the amazing one 10/04 the wife 10/01
#13 of 45 Old 01-02-2010, 11:24 PM

5 or 6 for a movie, about 7 for a play. But then, my kids are hyper sensitive to sound and atmosphere, so they find a lot of things scary that other kids don't. Dd is 5 1/2 and we tried a play this fall and she didn't even make it past the dimming of the lights -- she was freaked out by the experience. We might try a movie when she turns 6. Ds saw his first (and only theater) movie at 5 1/2, and his first play at 8.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#14 of 45 Old 01-02-2010, 11:38 PM

We took DDs to their first movie ever last week and they did really well. They're almost 5 and almost 3.
#15 of 45 Old 01-02-2010, 11:43 PM

We started taking Tyr to the Drive-In as an infant. He always loved them....For a real movie theatre the first movie he fully sat through and enjoyed was this summer at G-Force he was about 2.5y.

I forgot to add....we took Tyr to the Wiggles at just under 2 and he loved it! That is quite interactive though

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#16 of 45 Old 01-03-2010, 02:55 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
depends on the child and one what's playing.

What seems really odd about the OP is the comment that the play is pricey. The type of theatre my kids enjoyed when they were very young was inexpensive. Children's plays are usually shorter than feature films and more engaging, so I don't think a movie is a good test.

Even at a children's theatre, not all plays are suitable for all ages. Many theatres include suggested age ranges for each production, and I'm curious what they are for the play you are considering.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#17 of 45 Old 01-03-2010, 03:57 AM

Like others said, probably depends on the child. But for my dds movies and plays are very different. They are easily frightened by the mildest drama in videos (we don't watch tv at all and the few times they've been exposed to videos they were uncomfortable as soon as there was any tension) but at 2.5 would sit through live productions easily, especially if there was music and dancing.
#18 of 45 Old 01-03-2010, 05:42 AM

I don't think there's an "age." You have to know your kid. Mine has been to a couple of taiko drumming performances (up to 2 hours long) and been transfixed. She's very observant and follows cues of how other people are behaving. However, she has virtually ZERO interest in TV/movies, as she seems to prefer things that seem interactive/real, so I wouldn't try to take her to a movie yet.

Co-sleeping, Breastfeeding, EC'ing, Baby-wearing, Homebirthing mama to two fabulous girls 6/2007 and 8/2010
#19 of 45 Old 01-03-2010, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
How long is the play? Is there an intermission? How interactive is it - do the performers get the kids to sing and dance along, or do they have to sit quietly throughout? What is the venue like - a typical indoor theatre where they will have to sit still, or an outdoor concert where they can roam a little on the grass?

As others have noted, many productions will indicate the age range - and it's common to see "not suitable for children under age ____".

If you go, please be prepared to have to leave during the performance if your children are unhappy. It isn't fair to others in the audience if they are whining, crying, fussing and generally disturbing others' enjoyment. Everyone else has paid for pricey tickets too...they should get to enjoy the performance in peace.
#20 of 45 Old 01-03-2010, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post
depends on the child and one what's playing.

What seems really odd about the OP is the comment that the play is pricey. .
Well there are 2 shows that DH's cousin was discussing us possibly going to. One was something to do with Sesame & Elmo (no flames please), I do allow my DS to watch Sesame street, the only show I allow. The other show is with Dora/Diego & the Backyardigans which my DS has no clue who they are. So the tickets even for the matinee are @ $55.00 each. I think I may wait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post
How long is the play? Is there an intermission? How interactive is it - do the performers get the kids to sing and dance along, or do they have to sit quietly throughout? What is the venue like - a typical indoor theatre where they will have to sit still, or an outdoor concert where they can roam a little on the grass?

I'd have to guess on the length, I'm sure more than an hour and maybe less than 2? I'm sure it's interactive (see above characters). But I' m really doubting us going now. I actually think my DS would like the Sesame street one but we can also wait, there will be other shows.
DH also said last night that he thinks DS will not sit through a movie anytime soon so maybe will just put the whole idea on hold for at least another year.

#21 of 45 Old 01-03-2010, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
the backyardagins would be fun. Their music is very good. This from someonbe who never really allowed her children to listen to "childrens" music. but $110 for mom and kid to go. a kid who will not remember it? who may sleep through it. heck no!! Borrow a DVD from the library. thats the sort of thing that would be really fun and memorable for a 4 or 5 year old but I would waste my money taking a baby.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#22 of 45 Old 01-03-2010, 01:47 PM

Kid dependant. My two 6 yo. loved playes from around 2 yo., and movies when we went there around 3. And will sit amazed and loving it through it all. They are like me.
My 4 yo. still can't go to any of them really, besides a very short film with something he's really into with a box of popcorn.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#23 of 45 Old 01-03-2010, 02:43 PM

DD sat through her 1st movie in a theater at 3, at home it was sooner. Concerts she sat through at 2, but has had a harder time now at 3.5 - she is going through a scared phase. I think we are going to try and do Disney on Ice with her next month.

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#24 of 45 Old 01-03-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte Mama View Post
Well there are 2 shows that DH's cousin was discussing us possibly going to. One was something to do with Sesame & Elmo (no flames please), I do allow my DS to watch Sesame street, the only show I allow. The other show is with Dora/Diego & the Backyardigans which my DS has no clue who they are. So the tickets even for the matinee are @ $55.00 each. I think I may wait!
WOW!

You might look for actual children's theatre rather than a big traveling show. Besides being stupidly expensive, shows like that are usually in a big venue where the kids are far away from the stage.

We never spent money on those sorts of shows. It would have been over $200 (my kids are closely spaced and DH would have had to help) for something they wouldn't remember and DH and I wouldn't really enjoy. I know some people like them, but I think they are a waste of money.

Seriously, a puppet show at a library would be more fun for your DD and cost almost nothing.

#25 of 45 Old 01-03-2010, 04:48 PM

There's just no way I'd take a 19 month-old to something like that and it seems really young for a movie too. I do agree that it depends on the kid since we took our rambunctious son to the cinema for the first time when he was only 26 months to see Finding Nemo and he really enjoyed it and sat quietly for it. He's been quite the movie-goer since, but some kids aren't all that interested at that age.

I think it makes more sense to take little ones to things that are inexpensive or free and easy to leave before the end (and that don't require them to be all that well-behaved!). We would take him to folk festivals or other music type events, most of them free, when he was little. We didn't attempt his first play until he was 4 and his next one after that was at age 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post
Seriously, a puppet show at a library would be more fun for your DD and cost almost nothing.
ITA.
#26 of 45 Old 01-03-2010, 06:50 PM

I think it depends on the child. When I was a Nanny, Nanette could sit for a whole movie at 2 years old. Now, as a PreK teacher, I have students who at 5 would not be able to do that.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#27 of 45 Old 01-03-2010, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka View Post
the backyardagins would be fun. Their music is very good. This from someonbe who never really allowed her children to listen to "childrens" music. but $110 for mom and kid to go. a kid who will not remember it? who may sleep through it. heck no!! Borrow a DVD from the library. thats the sort of thing that would be really fun and memorable for a 4 or 5 year old but I would waste my money taking a baby.
I'm kind of with you on this . It's DH's cousin's idea and she's a FTM also. I never took my liitlest sister to a play/show until she was like 14 and it was on Broadway so $$$$. But it was "Rent" and it rocked and she loved it. I'd rather just wait and take him in a few years to something he at least has a chance of remembering!

ETA: Now how do I tell her we should wait without offending? Hmm....

#28 of 45 Old 01-03-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte Mama View Post
ETA: Now how do I tell her we should wait without offending? Hmm....
research something else that would be less expensive and more age appropriate and suggest it when you say *no.* That way you aren't saying no to *her.* You are just saying *no* to spending $100 to try to keep your child quiet.

#29 of 45 Old 01-03-2010, 10:23 PM

My oldest was 3 when he went on a "date" with his grandmother to a play. He loved it.

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

#30 of 45 Old 01-03-2010, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
plays in a theater at 2. mostly children's theater and some musical adults that seh enjoyed.

movies - i think closer to 4 was when i figured out she was ready. dd has anxiety. we went to see curious george which she did well with. however we saw the opening scenes of ice age which was the squirrel and the acorn scene. she completely freaked out and was sooo scared by teh suspence. the emotions and everything is so amplified in a movie theater. at home they can watch the same movie with not such a huge reaction. but not in a movie theater.

we couldnt do imax till dd was almost 7. we tried a few times but it was so loud it hurt her ears. they refunded our tickets.

we went to see the wiggles when dd was 2. got great tickets. back to back. she was THRILLED and enjoyed the whole thing twice over. she was dancing in the aisles.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page