What do your kids call your friends and other adults? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 01-11-2010, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Mko View Post
They call adults whatever I call them, which usually means their first name.
Same here. We do have some very very close friends who are Aunt and Uncle.
#32 of 42 Old 01-11-2010, 11:49 AM

The same thing we call them unless they specifically ask to be called otherwise. Usually, they just use their first names.

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
#33 of 42 Old 01-11-2010, 11:54 AM

In my circle, the mamas and I have taken to introducing ourselves as Mama (first name). So, the children of my friends call me Mama J______, and my DC call my friends Mama Jane, Mama Ali, Mama Kira, etc.

"Our truest opinions are not the ones we have never changed, but those to which we have most often returned."-Diderot
#34 of 42 Old 01-11-2010, 11:58 AM

Our kids refer to adults the same way we do. Which is to say that they call adults by their first names.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#35 of 42 Old 01-11-2010, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
First names for our friends. Mr./Mrs./Miss for the elderly - not Ms because if she's so old that she prefers a formal prefix, she probably doesn't like Ms either. I prefer to reserve Aunt and Uncle for actual family - but that's a personal preference. In fact, we use it for MY aunts and uncles (i.e. my dc's great-aunts and great-uncles) - my siblings are just called by their first names.
#36 of 42 Old 01-11-2010, 12:33 PM

I try to ask the adult what they prefer when we first meet. The big kids' school friends' parents (that's a mouthful!) are the ones that I have to ask the most. Our local AP group is pretty informal and almost always go by first names. I find, though, that I am more often "DS/DD's mom" than Monica to most of the kids (depending on which of my big kids the kiddo is visiting). I'm ok with that too.

When I was a kid, some of my friends called my mom "Mom" and that was cool. She loved it that they liked her enough to think of her that way. I don't *think* I would be offended if one of my kids did that with a friends' mom, but I might feel a bit sad-in a way, mom is a special name just for me from them, if that makes any sense. We'll see, I guess....

Monica , DH :cop , DD (8) , DS1 (5) , DS2 (2/09) , and the pup
#37 of 42 Old 01-11-2010, 01:40 PM

We're in the northeast.

Our friends are all called by their first names, but my parent's generation are called Mr./ Mrs. whoever.

At church I find it generational as well, the adults under 50 tend to be called by their first names, and the older folks are called Mr and Mrs by the youth.

Aunt and Uncle are terms we only use for relatives.
#38 of 42 Old 01-11-2010, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We also do first names, and my kids' friends call me "Ruth." If there was somebody who preferred to be called "Ms. Soandso" then I'd respect that and teach my kids to address her as such, but so far that hasn't happened.

I remember how awkward it was when I was newly married and befriended a woman much older than me with a large family. I was 22, she was over 40, and her oldest DD was 15. I was (and guess I still am) closer in age to her daughter than to her! This was my first experience with "having friends with kids" and I wasn't sure what they should call me- and the age difference (or lack thereof) made it even more awkward! We finally settled on her kids calling me by my first name, but it took a few months of them trying to avoid calling me anything before we finally settled on it.

Then, with subsequent friends with kids, the precedent was set, and it was natural for me to do the same for my kids with my adult friends.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#39 of 42 Old 01-11-2010, 02:09 PM

first names here, too. It makes me feel uncomfortable, but idk why.

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
#40 of 42 Old 01-11-2010, 02:33 PM

First names. We aren't very formal around here.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.
K (6): C (8): B (1/13/12) homeschool.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif

#41 of 42 Old 01-11-2010, 02:44 PM

My closest friends are Aunts/Uncles

Everyone else is first name, although probably older people or people we didn't know well I would do Mr/Mrs. last name unless they wanted to be called by their first name.

Mr/Mrs first name is definitely not done here! That would seem so weird to me. Whenever I hear that in my head it's with a southern accent

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#42 of 42 Old 01-11-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyantavid View Post
Same here. We do have some very very close friends who are Aunt and Uncle.
We do the same. Both my best friends and their spouses are Auntie and Uncle.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page