I know it not a big deal, but it bugs me... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 90 Old 01-11-2010, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know it not a big deal, but it bugs me when waiters don't give DS a menu. I know most 3 yo can't read them, but a few can. Besides, don't most 3 yo enjoy looking at them even if they can't read them?

So there you have it, I'm annoyed enough about having to share a menu with DS to post about it online.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#2 of 90 Old 01-11-2010, 10:29 PM

I still have to ask that resteraunts give my 11 yo an adult menu. He hasn't eaten kid food in years! Well, really never has liked it.

Just ask them to hand him a menu when you get there.

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
#3 of 90 Old 01-11-2010, 10:32 PM

UGH, me too. I'm always the last person to figure out what I want to eat, because not only am I slow, and trying to decide for two people, but I also am reading over DD's shoulder and fielding her questions about the various items listed. I guess it'd only eliminate one of those issues if DD had her own menu, but still. Don't all kids want their own menu???
#4 of 90 Old 01-11-2010, 11:14 PM

My 3 year old DS emphatically requests his own menu. I refer to him as my "squeaky wheel".

+ + =
#5 of 90 Old 01-12-2010, 01:16 AM

I don't think it's that waiters don't think they can read, I think waiters don't think of little kids as customers. I have to ask for a place setting for dd most of the time. Don't they realize she's going to need a FORK? And of course dd wants to "read" the menu--and I don't want to share mine!
#6 of 90 Old 01-12-2010, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoteat View Post
I have to ask for a place setting for dd most of the time. Don't they realize she's going to need a FORK?
Yikes, at least that never happens to us. I do usually have to ask for extra napkins though, but that's b/c of things he does that adults usually don't.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#7 of 90 Old 01-12-2010, 01:47 AM

Quote:
I don't think it's that waiters don't think they can read, I think waiters don't think of little kids as customers. I have to ask for a place setting for dd most of the time. Don't they realize she's going to need a FORK? And of course dd wants to "read" the menu--and I don't want to share mine!
ITA which is all the more ridiculous because usually the reason we are there in the first place is that we forgot to pack enough food for DD or she can't wait til we get home to eat
Yes, I was under the impression that most kids prefer to have their own menu even if they can't read it.
I don't think DD can read much of most menus but she can certainly find the words "hot chocolate"

grateful Mama to DD May '06 and DS May '09
#8 of 90 Old 01-12-2010, 03:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Moving over to Parenting!)

Yeah, definitely an issue whether they're reading or not! Ah, the fits we've had from the 1yo or 2yo who wanted to look, too.

I totally agree that it makes it SO much easier once they can read - or if it's a picture menu and they can pick out what they want.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#9 of 90 Old 01-12-2010, 04:24 AM

There is one very sweet mama who works at a restaurant we sometimes go to, and I love that she asks dh and me if we're having drinks, and when we say yes, she asks each of our children what they would like to drink. She knows they can have pure juice and not pop, but they hate pop so would never ask. She took the time the first time to figure out what is acceptable to us and trusts our dc to order something acceptable and trust us to interject if it isn't (which has never happened).

This is so rare though. We usually have to ask for place settings too and our boys don't eat kids menu stuff, so we always say something about the menus when we arrive anyway. The hardest part is having to inform and explain in excruciating detail that our children each need a seat- that even though they are smaller than adults, they still each have a bottom they have to plunk down somewhere not on their brothers' laps... So, booth for four doesn't work for family of six.

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

#10 of 90 Old 01-12-2010, 05:28 AM

I waited tables for years...and I can pretty much speak for the majority when I say that a family with kids is almost always your worst nightmare. Not because of the kids...but because of the parents. I can't tell you how many times parents tried to get their child to order for themselves...and instead of helping them when they were OBVIOUSLY too scared to do so...they just make me stand there and get more and more behind. Or the parents that make you go find their kids at the games and ask them what they want to eat. Because apparently I'm a mind-reader and know which kid is yours...

I have soooooo many horror stories of terrible parents that I've waited on...a few involving children pooping on the floor even...

If you want an extra menu, feel free to ask. If you're nice and friendly a server will be more than happy to get you one. It's one of the easier requests we would receive!
#11 of 90 Old 01-12-2010, 05:54 AM

I waited on tables for years too, a decade ago now, but I didn't have nightmarish encounters with families as a norm at all- rarely actually. Perhaps it depends on the restaurant and its location.

I can imagine it being hard to wait for children to order when they don't want to or aren't ready. I think treating a child like a real person whose presence matters is still very important, and I think that is what bothers parents here- that the initial consideration isn't made.

I don't make my dc order. If they want to, they do, and they are eager, so nobody is slowed down.

Consideration should obviously go both ways though, I agree.

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

#12 of 90 Old 01-12-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmamapagan View Post
ITA which is all the more ridiculous because usually the reason we are there in the first place is that we forgot to pack enough food for DD or she can't wait til we get home to eat
Lol, I can totally relate! That's usually how WE end up in restaurants too.

FWIW, I don't care about waiters not serving children the same as adults. The waiters who DO usually have kids of their own. For the others, it's just not on their radar, kwim? The exception being restaurants that really cater to children, where the staff seem to be trained to treat the children as customers. Otherwise, I have no problem asking for what I/we need. Just doesn't bother me I guess.
#13 of 90 Old 01-12-2010, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
The kid menu is often on the back of the place mat along with fun coloring activities in the restraunts I bring my dd to. They usually also provide the crayons. If he likes reading then you might consider bringing some picture books with you to help him stay engaged.
#14 of 90 Old 01-12-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewsMother View Post
My 3 year old DS emphatically requests his own menu. I refer to him as my "squeaky wheel".
#15 of 90 Old 01-12-2010, 01:20 PM

I've never had a waiter offer Ds a menu but they do offer him his own water/drink and will ask me if there is anything they can get him. Ds wouldn't know what to do with a menu, so the verbal acknowledgments work for me

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#16 of 90 Old 01-12-2010, 01:32 PM

I don't really mind my kids not being brought a menu - I don't mind asking for extras if needed. The thing that bugs me is when they don't set a place for my kids (happens to us all the time), or when the server automatically brings water for everyone (usually a good thing), but doesn't bring any for my two kids. Weird.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#17 of 90 Old 01-12-2010, 01:43 PM

We go to some places that will automatically bring out menues for the kids, ask them what they want to drink and stuff, that is great.
And if we go somewhere they don't, I'll just say right away that we'll need x many menues.
I let the kids order if they want to, then they'll kinda jump on it anyway and loudly state their order right away, and otherwise I'll order for them.
I've never experienced anywhere that did not set a place for the kiddos, that would be so weird. And many places are good about automatically bringing straws in the kids water/juice. (Not to mention not filling the glasses up, and just state that it's a refill waiting. That is for little ones though.)

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#18 of 90 Old 01-12-2010, 01:53 PM

At our favourite japanese restaurant they used to give DD the kid menu. Then one of them overheard me reading it to her and her saying "but Mama, where is the sushi?" (because it's variations on a "kid friendly" theme of noodles or rice with chicken or beef). After they watched her devour an adult platter of sushi almost without help and after she told one of them the raw sweet shrimp was "lovely and creamy" they often ask her for her order before they ask us! I love eating out with her, and i hate it when she is disregarded by staff too. Though it's increasingly hard since she is very quick to say "may i also have a menu please!?" if they miss her out
#19 of 90 Old 01-12-2010, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
This explains it! That's why we used to have to ask for another setting so often when the kids were little. It was mystifying. It just occurred to me we haven't had to do that in a while. Ds is 10 y.o.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgirl View Post
Lol, I can totally relate! That's usually how WE end up in restaurants too.

FWIW, I don't care about waiters not serving children the same as adults. The waiters who DO usually have kids of their own. For the others, it's just not on their radar, kwim? The exception being restaurants that really cater to children, where the staff seem to be trained to treat the children as customers. Otherwise, I have no problem asking for what I/we need. Just doesn't bother me I guess.
Exactly! The funniest was the young man who brought my small son a glass of root beer, nearly as big as ds's head. I thanked him and asked him to put it in a small paper to-go cup with a lid and straw. The 5 y.o. child doesn't need a Big Gulp-sized soda that can flood the table and crash on the floor.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#20 of 90 Old 01-12-2010, 02:06 PM

I have had the opposite experience at restaurants! I often have waiters bringing my BABY a kids menu and crayons. He's almost one now but this has been going on for months! I feel like saying "All he is going to do is eat those crayons!" And he definitely doesn't need his own meal off the kids menu! And after they take our order they then ask if they can bring anything for him (and I can remember this happening once before he had even started solids!).

None of this bothers me of course, I just think it's funny

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#21 of 90 Old 01-12-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillian28 View Post
I have had the opposite experience at restaurants! I often have waiters bringing my BABY a kids menu and crayons. He's almost one now but this has been going on for months! I feel like saying "All he is going to do is eat those crayons!" And he definitely doesn't need his own meal off the kids menu! And after they take our order they then ask if they can bring anything for him (and I can remember this happening once before he had even started solids!).

None of this bothers me of course, I just think it's funny
Same here. I always get asked if my baby needs a seat (when I'm wearing them as a tiny newborn ? ) And they always give them all menus, crayons and waters no matter how old they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMum View Post
I waited tables for years...
<snip>
If you want an extra menu, feel free to ask.
<snip>
LOL, I think that sums up the attitude most of the moms are talking about here. A menu for a child is not an extra menu, it's just a menu for everyone at the table.

Krista; blessed mother to four earthly beings and three non-physical. Basking in my beautiful rainbow. 

#22 of 90 Old 01-12-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepster View Post
I know it not a big deal, but it bugs me when waiters don't give DS a menu.
That would bother me, too. We tend to go to the same places regularly, but our daughter has always been offered a menu, and probably by the time she was 4 they'd ask if we wanted a child's menu or a regular menu. They also ask her for her order, and then do that "checking with the parents" look to make sure what she picked is fine. And starting when she was 5, the waitress at one of our regular places started offering to let our daughter handle swiping the credit card for the payment.

It's really a great way to build customer loyalty because our daughter will specifically ask to go to the place where the waitress puts a lemon in her water, or the place where the waiter put her sketch up on the bar, etc.
#23 of 90 Old 01-12-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
I have to ask for a place setting for dd most of the time. Don't they realize she's going to need a FORK? And of course dd wants to "read" the menu--and I don't want to share mine!
We also have to ask for place settings frequently. I've gotten pretty snippy about it because it annoys me so much.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#24 of 90 Old 01-12-2010, 02:55 PM
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianojazzgirl View Post
I don't really mind my kids not being brought a menu - I don't mind asking for extras if needed. The thing that bugs me is when they don't set a place for my kids (happens to us all the time), or when the server automatically brings water for everyone (usually a good thing), but doesn't bring any for my two kids. Weird.
Same here. I don't think that's happened in a while, though, now that my youngest is 4. But it drives me nuts... children do eat and drink, you know.

My 4yo reads well, and prefers "kid food" so he's happy with a kids' menu. My 7yo doesn't read very well and prefers adult food, so I just read my menu to him. He does get a little insulted by kids' menus but is happy if there are crayons to draw with.
#25 of 90 Old 01-12-2010, 03:04 PM

I have had some weird experiences in this regard too. When DS was a newborn I'd wear him in the sling, and still usually get asked if we needed a high chair or a booster seat. Um, no, my baby can not sit up! lol! He's also been brought a kids menu at most places since a few months old. He is 16 months now and just starting to get the hang of coloring, though he still sometimes tries to eat the crayons.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#26 of 90 Old 01-12-2010, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Yeah, I've had all of the above happen at least once.

Now I tend to say something like, "Hi, 4 for lunch, including 1 high chair and 2 kids' menus" or, when getting a table when we're meeting friends for dinner, "Hi, 9 for dinner, including 1 high chair, 1 booster seat, and 5 kids' menus."

I figure if I give them all the pertinent info up front they won't have to try to determine which kids are old enough for high chairs/booster seats/chairs, and which ones wants kids' vs. regular menus.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#27 of 90 Old 01-12-2010, 03:45 PM

DS is 20 months, and I ask for a menu for him. Otherwise he's so busy "reading" (looking at it studiously, then looking up to see if we're paying attention to how cute he's being) that I either don't get a look at the menu, or have to read upside-down on the menu of whoever's sitting across from me. Luckily, I'm pretty good at reading upside-down.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#28 of 90 Old 01-12-2010, 05:33 PM

the place setting thing happens here and drives me nuts too. Ummm my kid would like a napkin and a fork thanks!

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#29 of 90 Old 01-12-2010, 05:39 PM

I have, and never will, understand how stingy some places are with their silverware. Would it *really* kill them for our family of four to have four complete place settings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aelf View Post
That would bother me, too. We tend to go to the same places regularly, but our daughter has always been offered a menu, and probably by the time she was 4 they'd ask if we wanted a child's menu or a regular menu. They also ask her for her order, and then do that "checking with the parents" look to make sure what she picked is fine. And starting when she was 5, the waitress at one of our regular places started offering to let our daughter handle swiping the credit card for the payment.

It's really a great way to build customer loyalty because our daughter will specifically ask to go to the place where the waitress puts a lemon in her water, or the place where the waiter put her sketch up on the bar, etc.
We got to the same place every 4th of July (out of town) and the watier is SOOOOO amazing. Actually interacts with the kids in a way that is comfortable for them all and, by doing so, makes the adults have a great experience too. He definately rakes in the $ which, I am sure is common with him simply because of his attitute towards children.

#30 of 90 Old 01-12-2010, 05:43 PM

I haven't experienced the menu or place setting issue. Usually my kids (5 & 3) get a menu, place setting and get asked what they'd like to drink. I'm surprised to hear that this is an issue.

But my #1 pet peeve when dining out is the servers who bring the kid's food before ours! UGH! This drives me batty. 1) we go out to dinner so we can all sit down and eat - together! 2) if the kids finish eating and we're just starting, it's going to make for a very unpleasant meal for DH & I. I know servers are trying to be helpful but I wish they'd at least ask before bringing out the the kid's meal first.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page