Question about hair whorl - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 01-25-2010, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wasn't sure where to post it so I hope it's not off subject. I was wondeing what is the significance of hair whorl direction? It seems the most common is clockwise, but my two daughters have counterclockwise hair whorls? What could this mean? Thanks in advance
#2 of 33 Old 01-25-2010, 04:24 PM

Well, are you left-handed? Hair whorl direction can be associated with handed-ness, and the counterclockwise is associated with left-handedness.

Tjej
#3 of 33 Old 01-25-2010, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

No I am right handed and so is my husband. Our hair whorls are clockwise. My oldest seems to be right handed, but my youngest may be left handed. She reaches first with her left hand and she is 8 months so not sure if it's too soon to say.
#4 of 33 Old 01-25-2010, 08:19 PM

It has a significance?
#5 of 33 Old 01-25-2010, 09:51 PM

I guess I don't understand the question. What do you mean? I wasn't aware it meant anything at all, other than that each child has a unique genetic makeup and that human beings are wondrously diverse.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#6 of 33 Old 01-25-2010, 10:12 PM

If you give them a side part, you will want to do it on the opposite side from where most people do it.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#7 of 33 Old 01-26-2010, 01:03 AM

Well, one of my kids has a double whorl, clockwise, and I was told that it connotes strength of character!
#8 of 33 Old 01-26-2010, 01:30 AM

Well, mine has a triple whorl, neener neener neener
#9 of 33 Old 01-26-2010, 01:34 AM

Cool question!!! I just found out that hair whorls are actually intricately linked to brain development in the uterus. There have been some studies that link different types of hair whorls to diseases such as mental illness. It is really, really interesting. My son has two whorls so that's why I went looking. A GP I know told me about this when I asked.
#10 of 33 Old 01-26-2010, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karne View Post
Well, one of my kids has a double whorl, clockwise, and I was told that it connotes strenght of charcter!
My son too- this fits well for him Thanks for posting.
#11 of 33 Old 01-26-2010, 01:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My son also has two whorls, going in opposite directions.. Does this mean that he's confused?

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
#12 of 33 Old 01-26-2010, 02:26 AM

Here's a list of some articles on pub med about it. It seems there has been research into "handedness" and homosexuality and hair whorl association. Some studies show links, some don't.

Tjej

ETA: This article goes into the handedness aspect - counterclockwise is much more prevalent among lefties (apparently scientifically known as "non-right-handers" ).
#13 of 33 Old 01-26-2010, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjej View Post
ETA: This article goes into the handedness aspect - counterclockwise is much more prevalent among lefties (apparently scientifically known as "non-right-handers" ).
Non-right-handers is a more inclusive term that includes lefties, ambidextorous people and people that schools forced to use their right hands for writing but tend to use their left hand for other stuff.

Now I'm wondering, if there would be an association between hair whorl and dyslexia since there is an association between non-right-handedness and dyslexia (says the dyslexic woman with the counter clockwise hair whorl, who was naturally ambidextorous but was forced to only use her right hand to write in school.)

#14 of 33 Old 01-26-2010, 02:50 AM

my husband has (well, had) a counter clockwise whorl, and is totally dyslexic. he is a natural righty, but has a right dominant foot which is not common for righties.
cool to think about this stuff.
#15 of 33 Old 01-26-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Here's a list of some articles on pub med about it. It seems there has been research into "handedness" and homosexuality and hair whorl association. Some studies show links, some don't.

Tjej

I remember hearing about a study on whorl and finger length in relation to homosexuality. Very interesting! It seems that there is a tendency for homosexuals to have their hair whorl go counter clockwise. Also, there is a norm for women to have their index finger be longer than their ring finger (easiest to spot when looking at the palm of the hand, not the back of it) and for men to have the opposite - ring finger longer than index finger. This tended to be the opposite in homosexuals. My older son has clockwise hair whorl and my baby has counter clockwise hair whorl and "backwards" finger length, so it'll be interesting to see what happens when they grow up.

Jordana, mama to almost 8 year old Evan, 3 year old Atticus, and 1 year old Tabitha - my gifts from heaven

#16 of 33 Old 01-26-2010, 10:31 AM

My friend has taken her daughter to a geneticist in the past and was told that hair whorls can be an indication of various genetic issues. (That means, not always.)

During our son's diagnosis (he has asperger's), his doc told dh & me the same thing. His hair whorls, however, have no bearing on his ASD.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#17 of 33 Old 01-26-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlovs View Post
I remember hearing about a study on whorl and finger length in relation to homosexuality. Very interesting! It seems that there is a tendency for homosexuals to have their hair whorl go counter clockwise. Also, there is a norm for women to have their index finger be longer than their ring finger (easiest to spot when looking at the palm of the hand, not the back of it) and for men to have the opposite - ring finger longer than index finger. This tended to be the opposite in homosexuals. My older son has clockwise hair whorl and my baby has counter clockwise hair whorl and "backwards" finger length, so it'll be interesting to see what happens when they grow up.
I thought the finger thing only was indicative in women.

ETA: I was tired when I wrote this, now that I've been up and going for a bit, I suddenly remembered that it's some kind ear structure that is associated with gay women.

What I had actually been thinking about with the finger thing, was that people often get confused that a short ring finger in women is associated with being gay, when it is actually the norm.

#18 of 33 Old 01-26-2010, 01:28 PM

I read something awhile ago that suggested that left handedness might have to do with placement in the womb. The research they were looking at showed a much higher rate of lefties in twins and even higher in triplets. I wonder if the swirls could also have something to do with that.
#19 of 33 Old 01-26-2010, 02:00 PM

My index fingers are way longer than my ring fingers and I have 2 whorls, one of which is counter clockwise. I am right handed, not dyslexic, currently pg with my third child and married to a wonderfull man whom I am very much in love with. All these studdies are interesting but definatly not a stamp of any thing.
#20 of 33 Old 01-26-2010, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It means that you'll have to part her hair on the other side. All my kids have double crowns. Their hair doesn't know which direction to go. It makes for some interesting parting of the hair when making pigtails.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#21 of 33 Old 01-26-2010, 04:19 PM

Wow, interesting thread. I will have to check my kids heads when they get home. Both are left handed and my DS has autism.

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
#22 of 33 Old 01-26-2010, 06:26 PM

I remember reading when I was pregnant that the # of ultrasounds increased the liklihood of non-right-handedness.

Tjej
#23 of 33 Old 01-26-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
I remember reading when I was pregnant that the # of ultrasounds increased the liklihood of non-right-handedness.

Tjej
That would fit for my DD but not my son. Plus my FIL and DH are both non-right handed (DH is a leftie and my FIL was forced to become a rightie).

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
#24 of 33 Old 01-26-2010, 07:08 PM

My memory of reading about this is that clockwise swirls are pretty much guaranteed to be right-handed and counterclockwise is split about 50/50.

Lina's got a counterclockwise swirl and seems to be tending towards being right handed. She'll try doing stuff with her left hand frequently since I carry her mostly on my left hip (so her left hand is forward ) but it works out a lot better when she uses her right hand.
#25 of 33 Old 01-26-2010, 07:36 PM

This is an interesting exercise. I'll look as DS1's head when he gets home.

DD has a clockwise swirl right in the middle of her forehead and a counter-clockwise one on the back of her head.

The twins both have clockwise swirls on the back of their heads, but one is on the left side and the other is on the right side.

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
#26 of 33 Old 01-26-2010, 07:40 PM

old-wives-tale probably, but my DS has two whorls (one each direction) and my MIL says that means he should have been twins.
Just for another take on it....

Mom to A 11/06: Researching : to grow our family
#27 of 33 Old 01-26-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackies Ladybug View Post
my husband has (well, had) a counter clockwise whorl, and is totally dyslexic. he is a natural righty, but has a right dominant foot which is not common for righties.
cool to think about this stuff.
I am the same way. I write with my right hand, but do most things equally well with my left. I still read magazines and catologs from back to front. Never from front to back.

I have a counterclockwise "cowlick".

My daughter is right handed, not dyslexic, very musical, math oriented, and has two cowlicks. One clockwise, one counterclockwise. The only problem was that it made her hair grow up into what people called a peacock butt in the back.
#28 of 33 Old 01-26-2010, 09:19 PM

Does the side of the head the whorl is on make a difference? I have one boy with a whorl on the right side of his head and one boy with the whorl on the left side of his head. The one with the whorl on the right side seems to go clockwise. I am not sure of the one with the whorl on the left side of his head. He's sleeping and I'm not about to wake him up for this, though it is tempting.

On another subject mentioned here, my index finger is shorter than my ring finger. I never thought anything of it until I heard about the sexual orientation tendencies a number of years ago. Then again, maybe it's just a coincidence.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#29 of 33 Old 01-27-2010, 01:47 AM

This is really fascinating to think about!

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#30 of 33 Old 01-27-2010, 03:33 AM

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page