Mums of Many - It's February already! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 88 Old 02-01-2010, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There is no UK icon so I thought I'd spell mums how we spell it here. I hope you don't mind.

February brings our family two birthdays and the anniversary of dh proposing to me (aka Valentines Day). By next weekend I will officially be the mum of two teenagers. That makes me feel a bit old.

What is in your month ahead?
#2 of 88 Old 02-01-2010, 02:29 PM

Subbing
New here, just into'd myself on the last thread!
We have a 4-day weekend trip coming up mid-month to go to Myrtle Beach. Probably won't be very warm, but still excited to go!

Happily married to my hero and SAHMama to 4 precious gifts from God
#3 of 88 Old 02-01-2010, 03:47 PM

subbing in... may post more of an update soon. I need to collect my thoughts.

Oh I'll just try to do it on the fly.

February:

Ian is still homeschooled but Alice has been in school. Helen started today and I think is having a bit of a difficult time. I asked the principal to email me updates and they aren't good or bad so I think she is trying not to worry me. Helen will be 7 in two weeks. Charlotte and Linus are enjoying the day with a little bit less running around, one less sister to parent them all day and generally ran themselves ragged playing unchecked.

We have a couple other birthdays in the family that don't stress me out.

Dh and I have never been good at holidays but I am finding more and more that I do want him to do something for me on all these stupid days (like Valentine's Day). I just want to be appreciated outwardly. I've tried telling him so only time will tell. The other part of the problem is that I feel I should do a bit for him and I have no ideas.

A relatively uneventful month unless we get snow.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#4 of 88 Old 02-01-2010, 03:53 PM

I'd love to join! I have four children, soon to be turning 3, 5, 7, and 9. We are TTC #5, so I hope that qualifies me.

For Feb. we have the kids' valentine's parties at school, a date night for DH and I to celebrate our anniversary, and a birthday on the last day of the month (that starts the craziness of all four b-days between then and March 30th ). That's all that comes to mind for this month -- except getting our tax refund. Very excited about that!

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#5 of 88 Old 02-01-2010, 04:02 PM

February! Well, obviously I've got a baby coming sometime! And Durian turns 2 this month. It's weird because I've never really been sentimental before about the "baby" getting ousted from his place, but I'm having a hard time with Durian not being the baby anymore! Maybe because he is such a sweetie, very loving and affectionate and I hate the idea of him growing out of that.

Other than that, we're busy with homeschooling. I'm loving the history curriculum we're using. I'm doing history odyssey and it's so much fun! Great too because Banyan (5) & Alder (8) can do the same level together. Banyan is in a wanting to learn to read phase again, so I'm focusing on that with him.

I personally love Valentines Day, and would be pissed if it slipped by without some sort of little acknowledgement! Though it normally runs to toys & racy lingerie, and as that won't be happening this year, I don't know what we'll do.

Take care everybody!
Kat

treehugger.gif Kat- mama to 6 little trees
#6 of 88 Old 02-01-2010, 05:33 PM

Definitely subbing....
Haven't been on here for ages but realised I needed something. I just don't think I'm coping with 4. My youngest is 2.5 today (ds 11, 9 and dd 6) and I thought it was getting better now I'm not sure. I let them have cereal for tea tonight because I wasn't organised enough to have anything else...and the place is a mess.

Please tell me it's going to get better???

arcenciel WAHM to 14 and 13yo DS, 9 and 5yo DD

#7 of 88 Old 02-01-2010, 06:34 PM

Subbing

Thanks for starting the Feb thread Orangefoot, here in Australia we use mum too.

Good luck Kat with your birth, I hope everything goes as safely and smoothly as possible

Sam, mum to: Ian, James, Lottie, Maddy, Jack, Ruby, Bronte & Sophia and Nate
#8 of 88 Old 02-01-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcenciel View Post
Definitely subbing....
Haven't been on here for ages but realised I needed something. I just don't think I'm coping with 4. My youngest is 2.5 today (ds 11, 9 and dd 6) and I thought it was getting better now I'm not sure. I let them have cereal for tea tonight because I wasn't organised enough to have anything else...and the place is a mess.

Please tell me it's going to get better???

Could you get your older kids to help you clean up some of the mess? at 11, 9 and 6 they are old enough to help sort clothes and put things away.

#9 of 88 Old 02-01-2010, 09:39 PM

Sam, from the previous thread, I'm sorry about your nephew, hope he gets better, and well.
And I know the feeling when they move out, tough.
How's Sophia and Nate doing? (Do you call her Soph?) And was it Bronte who had to get used to them? How's that going? (Sorry if I remember wrong.)

My little miss cotton ball button is healing really well from everything she went through, she's walking again, with a little limp, but the physio. is pretty sure it'll go away.
Tiny is being weaned to her new foster (adopting) home, finally (for her, she's so big already). It's a wonderful home, and they are friends of us, who adopted our last emergency care baby too. We get to keep in touch, so that's awesome.
And everyone else are well!
We're going for a better month than the last one here.

Jenny, Helen, when you pop in, how are your little ones doing? And the rest of the family?

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#10 of 88 Old 02-01-2010, 10:11 PM

Hello Mums,

Introducing myself...I have 5, ages 12, 9, 8, 8, and 10 months. Somehow I thought things would be calming down now that the baby is getting older, but it's just chaos all the time! Doesn't help that he doesn't sleep much at night yet!

As for the month, we have a birthday party on Saturday for the girls (one just turned 8, the other's about to be 9.) Valentine's parties and the requisite box making beforehand. Also, my dad who is on the infirm side and has been living with us since summer has a birthday this month, in addition to a hearing on the 19th regarding his house being sold at auction for back taxes. And finally, it's still basketball season around here, so we have games every weekend.

I think my kids do too much. I want them to be involved, but with 5 it's tough getting them where they are supposed to be and in all the right uniforms, etc. But I suppose that is a topic for another thread.

Anyway, glad to meet you all!
#11 of 88 Old 02-02-2010, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiekisses View Post
Sam, from the previous thread, I'm sorry about your nephew, hope he gets better, and well.
And I know the feeling when they move out, tough.
How's Sophia and Nate doing? (Do you call her Soph?) And was it Bronte who had to get used to them? How's that going? (Sorry if I remember wrong.)
Sophia ( yes we call her Soph) and Nate are doing really well I can't believe their nearly a month old already! Bronte is doing better with the twins, she can be a bit rough with them and she's not happy with twins getting to nurse and not her (she has tired a few times to nurse but she having trouble with latching and I think my milk tastes different). I would love to nurse Bronte again but i am exhausted and not sure i have the energy and patience to try which leaves me with bad mummy guilt

My nephew lives in another state and at the moment I can't visit with so many little ones so other than regular phone calls i am feeling pretty useless

I am so please to hear little miss cotton ball is doing well I've been thinking of you.

#12 of 88 Old 02-02-2010, 05:01 PM

Feb is a great month. My oldest turns 9 on the 13th and then it is my birthday on the 14th. DH and I will be going out to dinner.

What are your best travel tips?

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#13 of 88 Old 02-03-2010, 03:26 AM

Zoe's birthday is also on the 13th, she turns 4.My Inlaws and FIL's sister are coming on the 22 and spending about a week.I'm excited about that because I actually like them even though I've gotten in some arguments with my FIL ( he says I'm stubborn). I'm getting over a yucky head cold and I lost my voice and I can't stay awake for more than an hour ( yay first trimester) so the kids are getting away with all kinds of naughtiness.
Sam I am sorry that you can't be with your nephew but I am sure that your phone calls are really important too.I never got to see my grandma after she was diagnosed but I called her every day and it was good for both of us.Nursing three is very very very tough, I nursed all three of my youngest and i felt like a bone.
Wildmama I am curious about how you wrangle and shuttle to various sports, does each child have different one?so far we have just put our oldest two in soccer at the same time and I would like them to have activities so I am curious how a mom of many would do it.
Mclisa After driving back and forth and up and down both coasts of the US, I like driving at night with the kids but if we day drive we stop off at a fast food place that has a playland to get the wriggles out of the kids.We also really like our portable DVD player.I also have lots of snacks and drinks that are healthier than the road food and airport food.Are you flying or driving?
Woohoo! Kat's having a baby this month!!! Easy labor vibes to you and I hope you get lots of rest.

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

#14 of 88 Old 02-03-2010, 07:28 AM

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#15 of 88 Old 02-03-2010, 09:15 AM

That' a lot of Feb 13th! If I had known this 7 years ago I might have been better prepared for a new dd and a blizzard on the same day. Luckily dd came first but my mom took over 9 hours to get to our house from the airport 1+ hours away.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#16 of 88 Old 02-03-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcenciel View Post
I let them have cereal for tea tonight because I wasn't organised enough to have anything else...and the place is a mess.
you know, there are sometimes phases like that. older ones should be able to help out, but when i'm feeling 'scatty' or unsettled: they act it.lol. can they make sandwiches though? but cereal is a treat every now and then
we also do 'raw' meals when we just open/ peel whatever is handy and eat it as a jumble iyswim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltic_ballet View Post
I would love to nurse Bronte again but i am exhausted and not sure i have the energy and patience to try which leaves me with bad mummy guilt
Go easy on yourself. It's a success to be feeding the two and you risk 'touched out city' if you do much more than your comfort zone. I think with nursing especially, that once a mother has had *enough*, it doesn't make sense to continue because you end up essentially feeding all those negative emotions/ irritation along with the milk. I fed my second for longer than I felt comfortable and really had to pick up the pieces later with him once I'd dealt with my resentment and guilt.

and sorry about your nephew healing vibes going that way....

February so far. Hmm. This new house has been hard from go. We lost our beloved rabbit to a fox. I'm so much more devastated than I ever thought I could be. He was the sweetest, most lovely character. We miss him so much.

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#17 of 88 Old 02-03-2010, 11:09 AM

Hello all! I am uncomfortably awaiting number 10 and am so very ready to meet another blessed little soul.
'
wildmama: I had to giggle because I haven't noticed anything calming down in my house. Any tips anyone has for improving quiet, I am all ears.

subbing

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#18 of 88 Old 02-03-2010, 05:50 PM

Quiet? Oh, I think I notice that in the middle of the night when I wake up. Maybe I'm just waking up to enjoy it!

When all the kids are here it's often chaotic with yelling, crying, screaming, what have you. ugh!

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#19 of 88 Old 02-03-2010, 07:12 PM
pjs

subbing

feb- busy making up for the month of homeschool vacation we took for baby #4's arrival/birth back in the fall

trying to keep the grocery bill manageable, house cleaned and kids fed!

Have to figure out what to give up for Lent
#20 of 88 Old 02-04-2010, 01:23 AM

Hi mamas,

I'm carmel and I'm working on a project that requires that I interview mamas (and papas) of large families (these days I'm saying that is 3 and/or more children) who are ecologically focused/ concerned, etc.

Please PM me if you are interested! It is a relatively short email survey, and I can explain more answer more questions if you email or PM me.

Thank you for your help

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#21 of 88 Old 02-05-2010, 02:17 PM

re: traveling - what do you do about hotel rooms? Does everyone book a suite or get 2 bedrooms? I just ask, b/c I am looking at hotels for our upcoming trip and of course most regular sized hotel rooms have a 4 person limit, some will allow 2 adults and 3 children, but none are okay with 4 children. My kids are small, and love to sleep together even though they have their own rooms (last night there were 3 of them squished on DD's twin mattress), so surely we could make do with two queens.

In the past, we have done family suites, but I found better deals - maybe it's just san diego, but they are so much more $$$. When we travelled for DH work, there was a couple times where we just said there were 2 kids b/c we were in small towns and it was very late at night (with little to no vacancy, so we felt like we had no choice).

Just wondering what MOM do with regards to hotel rooms... or do you rent a house? I haven't looked into rates for those, yet.

#22 of 88 Old 02-05-2010, 05:29 PM

When we stay in a hotel we tend to get a suite with a fold out sofa. That & the extra floor space plus a king bed sleeps our four just fine. For an extended vacay we do rental homes. Though those are getting pricier now that we will need one that sleeps at least 7.

Kat

#23 of 88 Old 02-05-2010, 11:41 PM

We have only traveled twice on trips that required housing overnight. One time we got 2 hotel rooms that connected and just left the doors open between them. The other time we rented a house. The house was actually the cheaper option and was fantastic, we will definately go that route again, if we don't just break down and get an RV.

Wendy,loving wife to Brian, happy mama of Trinity(15), Christian(15), Gavin(13), Logan(11), Griffon(9),Jubilee(7), Epiphany (4), and Lucian Danger( born 18 April 12) <3
#24 of 88 Old 02-06-2010, 08:21 AM

we hired a mobile home out of season. camped in the past, but with the little two atm that thought

#25 of 88 Old 02-06-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
re: traveling - what do you do about hotel rooms? Does everyone book a suite or get 2 bedrooms? I just ask, b/c I am looking at hotels for our upcoming trip and of course most regular sized hotel rooms have a 4 person limit, some will allow 2 adults and 3 children, but none are okay with 4 children. My kids are small, and love to sleep together even though they have their own rooms (last night there were 3 of them squished on DD's twin mattress), so surely we could make do with two queens.

In the past, we have done family suites, but I found better deals - maybe it's just san diego, but they are so much more $$$. When we travelled for DH work, there was a couple times where we just said there were 2 kids b/c we were in small towns and it was very late at night (with little to no vacancy, so we felt like we had no choice).

Just wondering what MOM do with regards to hotel rooms... or do you rent a house? I haven't looked into rates for those, yet.
The Springhill Suites by Marriott are FANTASTIC for larger families! We stayed in one this past summer outside of Philadelphia and everyone loved it! They are very reasonably priced, especially if you reserve ahead. Speaking of reservations, they will let you reserve the room and the rate but if plans change and you need to cancel, you are not penalized as long as it is 24 hrs before your arrival time.

We got a room outside of Philly for $89/night and all six of us could stay in one room. It had two double beds and a sleeper sofa. It also had a mini-kitchen, basically a fridge and microwave with a sink but I was able to keep stuff there so we made our lunches every day when we went into Philly to sight-see.

They also have a free breakfast every morning that was very well stocked and all my kids were able to find something that they liked. One thing I noticed on their site though. Some of the hotels, depending on the state they are in, say that you can only have a total of 5 people in the room. But all the rooms are laid out the same so six will fit fine. You may have to tell a little white lie.

I originally found them through a website for traveling with larger families, www.sixsuitcasetravel.com

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#26 of 88 Old 02-06-2010, 01:14 PM

We've always rented apartments or houses. I'm a little picky like that, it's so comfortable and easy when you're traveling with 5-6 kids.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#27 of 88 Old 02-06-2010, 05:05 PM

Thanks for all the hotel/travel tips! I'm going to check out some of these ideas now.

#28 of 88 Old 02-06-2010, 08:44 PM

Can we moms of many have a house swap club or something?? It is hard to find accomodations for all of us. I think it would be great to house swap with another big family so our homes are suitable for each other's families! We are in Ashland, Oregon. Any takers for a few days over Spring Break in March?

Renting 2 hotel rooms b/c of their rules is so obnoxious. I usually just check us in, saying 2 adults, 2 kids, while everyone waits in the car. This is for stop-overs on road trips and such, though, not long term. Nobody's ever noticed, even when we are making waffles for everyone in their breakfast area.

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#29 of 88 Old 02-07-2010, 05:12 PM

Baby #5 is here! Elm Albion our 4th son made his appearance at 2:50am. All is well.

Kat

#30 of 88 Old 02-07-2010, 06:32 PM

congrats Kat

welcome to little Elm

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page