Parenting HSCs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 02-03-2010, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you've read the book The Highly Sensitive Child by Elaine Aron, you probably already know that an HSC = a highly sensitive child. If you haven't read it, here is a very basic questionaire on her website: Is your child highly sensitive? (There is also a self-test for adults.)

I'm sure I'm not the only one facing the challenges and pleasures of having HSCs, so hopefully more people will join this thread so we can have a place to chat about it, exchange ideas of what works and doesn't, and get input from others in the same situation.

So here's my introduction: I believe that the "highly sensitive" describes me and all three of my children, which ends up creating a lot of challenges for us. I find that a lot of things they do are completely understandable and normal to me and then around other people my kids end up sticking out! We've had a lot of difficulty trying to help my oldest (3yrs) at preschool, easing her into an overwhelming environment. She's already dreading her birthday there because she doesn't want the kids to sing to her while looking at her. Too much at once! She's incredibly talkative at home, but wouldn't say a word to the teacher for 4 months because the teacher is too overwhelming for her. She's also coming up on 4 years old and we can't get rid of the pacifier. Now I'm facing difficulties with my twins (16 mos) because they get can work each other up so easily. For example, one falls down and the other cries about it, the first sees that one crying and gets upset and it escalates. One is very physically sensitive and will cry if people come too close to her (to the point where I can't tell if she's physically hurt or the person just came too near, so I'm always checking that she's not bleeding or something) and the other one is very emotionally sensitive and tries to hug and pat her to make her feel better. Which sets her off more because he's in her space and she needs physical room to calm down. It's a neverending cycle!

So that's us, please come in and share a little about your child(ren) and any issues that may be coming up for you.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page