Anyone else annoyed by children being required to sell stuff?? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 86 Old 02-15-2010, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I HATE fundraisers and especially required fundraising.

My DSD goes to a private school and they have a mandatory fundraising obligation of $400/per kid.

The kicker is they get such a small percentage of whatever crap they are selling towards their $400, they would literally have to be out everyday selling.

DH and I are going to end up just donating money directly to her fund... well we are hoping we are allowed to do that because most of the fundraisers she has had so far are absolute crap that we do not eat or would not use.

We did fall for the entertainment book with coupons... though every coupon we have tried to use so far the establishent has decided to no longer honor them. Terrific... what a waste of $20 that DSD only received a $1 towards her $400 fund anyway.

Ugh... yeah... don't get me started on this. lol

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#62 of 86 Old 02-15-2010, 02:16 PM

I am sort of mixed. In grade 8 we sold quite a few things (Christmas ornaments-which I still have, figurines, Salt and Pepper shakers etc) these were sold to raise money for our Grade 8 trip. I had a lot of fun doing it because I was earning money to do our big trip (one week trip by bus to Toronto -9h bus ride). I also did Jump-Rope for Heart and did fund raising for that. UNICEF-we were given them at school but I didn't have to take mine out.

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#63 of 86 Old 02-15-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSMa View Post
I HATE fundraisers and especially required fundraising.

My DSD goes to a private school and they have a mandatory fundraising obligation of $400/per kid.

The kicker is they get such a small percentage of whatever crap they are selling towards their $400, they would literally have to be out everyday selling.

DH and I are going to end up just donating money directly to her fund... well we are hoping we are allowed to do that because most of the fundraisers she has had so far are absolute crap that we do not eat or would not use.

We did fall for the entertainment book with coupons... though every coupon we have tried to use so far the establishent has decided to no longer honor them. Terrific... what a waste of $20 that DSD only received a $1 towards her $400 fund anyway.

Ugh... yeah... don't get me started on this. lol
REally? $1? Cause our Home and School just did this one, and the books sold for $20, and we got $12.50 for each book sold.
#64 of 86 Old 02-15-2010, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
"My DSD goes to a private school and they have a mandatory fundraising obligation of $400/per kid."

Aaaaaugh. I am on the board of my daughter's preschool, which is attached to our house of worship, and they have an annual fundraising goal of $3,000 that goes right to the general fund. Profits from tuition don't count towards it. This is separate money that we parents are supposed to raise, that benefits the temple in general rather than the preschool - and half of our families aren't even Jewish!

So, I've spent a lot of time this year saying "no, the parents aren't interested in forming a PTO to organize fundraisers. The preschool is already a profit center for the temple. No, I am not going to ask parents to give more time and money so the preschool can be MORE of a profit center. No. NO. NO."

As a parent, I want to send my child to a school that has a sound a sustainable and non-exploitative business model - i.e., they charge in tuition what it costs to run the place, and don't try to suck more money out of the families in myriad pain-in-the-butt ways throughout the year.

Geez, I guess I also have strong feelings on this issue.
#65 of 86 Old 02-15-2010, 02:53 PM

While fund raising is a pain, it's unfortunately a necessity in our area.

Our school is seen as a wealthy neighborhood school. We have some very nice houses in our area, and this makes us seen as 'rich' on the whole.

The truth of the matter is that our school has a 40% poverty rate, and that our wealthy parents are being hit by the economy and just don't have the funds to donate anymore.

Our PTO at school supports the library, field trips, a school age jump roping club, gives money to the teachers for their classrooms, helps pay for upgrades to make playground equipment safe, and the list goes on and on. 100% of the money earned goes back to the school.

We used to run a "No Fundraiser Fundraiser" which asked for donations from parents so we didn't need to do fundraisers. The first year was awesome, and the second year was abysmal. We fell short of our budget by over $5,000!

If our parents can't give outright to the school, we need to find alternate ways to make the money for the school. Especially since our schools budget will be cut over 25% in the next three years. I am sure that the parents in our school complaining about fund raising will complain even louder if we cut their kids extra curriculars, libraries and classroom supplies.

If I have to put some effort into making sure that my sons get the education that they deserve, I am totally willing to do it.
#66 of 86 Old 02-15-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldamomma View Post
It certainly gets over-done, and I'm tired of being hit up for things like sending a bunch of 14 year old strangers to China to play soccer (I'd like to go to China too, but I'm not going door-to-door asking other people to pay my way ).
Honestly! This type of thing is out of control where I live. The "fundraising" by the selective, travelling sports teams is awful, the parent's should be ashamed of themselves for allowing it to go on.

In my area, travelling soccer and softball teams are big. Participation is invitation only. The team, coaches, and parents travel up and down the East Coast to play in tournaments. This is not AYSO or little league type of teams. The clubs are private, elitist (not all but the majority) selective and most definately not open to all kids.

Have at it, sports can be great for kids but it absolutely baffles me that they (adults involved whether they are coaches or parents) think it is ok to ask other people to subsidized a child's (and parent's) hobby.

These "teams" stand outside of Wal-Mart or at the gas stations with cans, panhandling for cash so they can go to a tournament in Virginia Beach. No thank you!

I ruffled many feathers when I worked in banking. Between my fellow employees and the customers, I was getting hit up all the time. While I made a point to be polite, I had no problem saying no and if they pressed me, I told them my opinion on the subject.

As far as school fundraisers - The cookie dough makes me want to scream! My DH is such a sucker for that type of stuff. He has learned by now that he better think twice about ordering mass quanities. I remember once he bought one of each type and 2 or more of his favorites from the daughter of a friend. It was over a $100. I had a fit.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#67 of 86 Old 02-15-2010, 03:01 PM

Oh and when I went to catholic school, which yes, is private school, but not for profit schools, which IIRC, is the type of school JSMa dsd goes to. Anyway, there was even less money for extra curriculars than at public school. When I was there, for our activities fee it was either $200 or sell raffle tickets. The raffle tickets sold pretty well. Anyway, if you didn't sell, you couldn't attend dances or do activities. This didn't include sports- for sports there were additional fees and fundraisers.
#68 of 86 Old 02-15-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithie View Post
"My DSD goes to a private school and they have a mandatory fundraising obligation of $400/per kid."

Aaaaaugh. I am on the board of my daughter's preschool, which is attached to our house of worship, and they have an annual fundraising goal of $3,000 that goes right to the general fund. Profits from tuition don't count towards it. This is separate money that we parents are supposed to raise, that benefits the temple in general rather than the preschool - and half of our families aren't even Jewish!

So, I've spent a lot of time this year saying "no, the parents aren't interested in forming a PTO to organize fundraisers. The preschool is already a profit center for the temple. No, I am not going to ask parents to give more time and money so the preschool can be MORE of a profit center. No. NO. NO."

As a parent, I want to send my child to a school that has a sound a sustainable and non-exploitative business model - i.e., they charge in tuition what it costs to run the place, and don't try to suck more money out of the families in myriad pain-in-the-butt ways throughout the year.

Geez, I guess I also have strong feelings on this issue.
her dsd goes to catholic school. catholic schools are non profit and barely get enough money to operate.
#69 of 86 Old 02-15-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOf3boyz View Post
While fund raising is a pain, it's unfortunately a necessity in our area.

Our school is seen as a wealthy neighborhood school. We have some very nice houses in our area, and this makes us seen as 'rich' on the whole.

The truth of the matter is that our school has a 40% poverty rate, and that our wealthy parents are being hit by the economy and just don't have the funds to donate anymore.

Our PTO at school supports the library, field trips, a school age jump roping club, gives money to the teachers for their classrooms, helps pay for upgrades to make playground equipment safe, and the list goes on and on. 100% of the money earned goes back to the school.

We used to run a "No Fundraiser Fundraiser" which asked for donations from parents so we didn't need to do fundraisers. The first year was awesome, and the second year was abysmal. We fell short of our budget by over $5,000!

If our parents can't give outright to the school, we need to find alternate ways to make the money for the school. Especially since our schools budget will be cut over 25% in the next three years. I am sure that the parents in our school complaining about fund raising will complain even louder if we cut their kids extra curriculars, libraries and classroom supplies.

If I have to put some effort into making sure that my sons get the education that they deserve, I am totally willing to do it.
This exactly.
#70 of 86 Old 02-15-2010, 03:10 PM

I just don't do the fundraisers.I don't have the money,and neither do my family and friends.Ds just came home with the frozen cookie dough and cake sale.It went right in the recycle bin.I would rather give a small donation directly to the school.I do the book sales though.My kids get books at a good price,and the classroom gets books for free.Once a year they have a buy one get one free bookfair and we love that.

Student mama to one awesome,talented and unique dd,15 and one amazing, sweet and strong ds,12(born with heart defect Tetralogy of Fallot,also on the autism spectrum),9 cats,and 2 gerbils.
#71 of 86 Old 02-15-2010, 04:48 PM

Ok, I haven't read through all the posts, so I may be repeating or stepping into a hornets nest, but the thing that really really bugs the holy crap out of me is when daycares -- private businesses! -- do fundraisers. My goodness, the exorbitant tuition isn't enough?

But yes, in general, all school fund raisers annoy me. In many cases, I'd rather give a kid $5 for his club or school than to spend $15 on some junk that I don't need and that his school is only going to get a cut of a few dollars for.

I do love that frozen cookie dough, though

ETA: And I'll always buy GS cookies. yum.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#72 of 86 Old 02-16-2010, 04:10 AM

THAT.

Having skipped all 70+ replies, I LOATH school fundraisers.

My kids get to pick one, and only one, for the entire year. DH and I take them to work, exchange with the other parents, and that's that.

GS Cookies are the one off. Samoas have a siren call
#73 of 86 Old 02-16-2010, 05:07 AM

In general I am fine with kids selling for various reasons. If they are fundraising for a "fun" activity or sports team etc. I like that they have the experience of selling and that they don't expect donations for whatever activity etc they have planned. I like that they aren't relying on donations. (even if the stuff they are selling isn't my first choice in product)

In my area kids seem to sell useful things, salt (they even deliver it and cart it into my house) wreaths/christmas trees/garland (also delivered) etc.

The scenerio described however seems excessive.
#74 of 86 Old 02-16-2010, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOnDaEdge View Post

THAT.

Having skipped all 70+ replies, I LOATH school fundraisers.
GS cookies do seem to be a league all their own. My DD is a GS, and when we sold in our neighborhood this year, all but one house that had people at home bought cookies. The girls did their tunk sell at a gas station and sold cases and cases. It's really nice because our troop is economically diverse and this way all the girls can decide on activities together and they all made the money together. It really is better than the parents with money just writing checks for what their kids want to do. And it is good for the kids to handle the money, talk to people, etc.

A lot of fundraisers,though, I just don't get. The frozen cookie dough at the school, for example. The kids aren't supposed to go door to door. We don't have extended family, and DH can't take things like that to work. So I let each of my kids pick out one thing of dough and that's that.

And I kinda hate it when kids come to my door selling something that I don't want. I'd really like to always be able to say *yes.*

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#75 of 86 Old 02-16-2010, 01:21 PM

A couple of years ago, I went to the PTA meeting and made the suggestion that an option be added for all the parents instead of doing the fundraising.

First, let me explain that often the fundraiser had a prize at the end (for example, that year it had been a party with a bunch of inflatables in the gymnasium for all kids who sold a certain amount of money (which meant the school's portion was $30).

I suggested the PTA make it an option from then on that any parent who wished to opt out of the fundraiser but wanted to give money to the PTA could give the $ amount needed for their kid(s) to get to go to the party/get the award, and they agreed!

I didn't see how it worked out the next year b/c my dd wanted to be homeschooled so we did, but I heard from friends that they were very grateful to be able to just write a little check and be done with it - especially for those fundraisers that took place @ the holidays (you know, the ones where you have to deliver all that giftwrap, boxes of candy, sausage/cheese, etc.)!

Also, my standard response (b/c I work at one of the schools part-time and get hit up by @ 100 students every time there's a new fundraiser) is to just say, "Thank you but I've already ordered."
#76 of 86 Old 02-16-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2maya View Post
her dsd goes to catholic school. catholic schools are non profit and barely get enough money to operate.
Yes... she goes to a Catholic school... and yes they do not have enough money to operate, hence them not having a music or art teacher....

But then they should raise their tuition, not have some unattainable fundraising goal to meet that the parents end up writing a check out for anyway.

Seriously, DSD would have to sell thousands of dollars of crap to meet her goal... and let's be realistic... she is 5, so she isn't selling anything... her parents are.

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#77 of 86 Old 02-16-2010, 06:36 PM
Banned

I have a personal beef with fundraising because I had similar experience to the kid you describe when I was a kid.

Cookie season was torture for me. I have an emotionally abusive mother who I was always trying to please. She sat back and watched me struggle as an introverted kid trying to talk to strangers, horrible at math trying to make change, getting lectured by old me about how I should know how to do figures in my head. Besides what she bought, I usually didn't do very well with cookies sales, and there was always the implied "letting the troop down" thing, plus listening to the parents brag about "MY daughter sold X number of boxes this year!" just made me sick.

I loved scouting and the activities that went with it, but if I was a parent of a kid like me, I would never require my kid to do the selling.

When I was in marching band and we did fundraiser after fundraiser for stupid crap that no one wanted so that everyone could pay for tour or uniforms or whatever (every kid had to raise a certain amount or pay out of pocket), I got a job instead. I couldn't stand the idea of having to call up my family members and pitch to them.

This really all goes back to the "give something to get something" model. The adults will only pay out if they're getting some food or cheap product in return (and let's face it, GS cookies are nothing like they used to be), and kids have to be bribed into selling by promises of pizza etc. I realize that not all fundraisers are like this, but I despise the ones that are.
#78 of 86 Old 02-20-2010, 06:28 PM

I'm never thrilled about fundraisers, and we do participate loosely, my kids will never be the top sellers though! I have seen how the money is used, seen the impact it can have on an organization that is tight for funds. I do give to some kids that come door to door, and not others. Mostly based on who we know, but other things like Girl Scouts, we choose to support (and this year I had my own cookie-selling Daisy Scout).

My DD's school just does a fun-run, it's their only fund-raiser and it's direct-donation. I was glad to see that! However, what upset me is when everyone who raised over X for the fun-run at school, got a pizza party. I was upset for two reasons, first of all that the healthy aspect they focused on with the run was squashed by the reward of pizza, and mostly, because although *WE* had family and friends who could afford to donate enough for DD to make that mark, I'm sure there were others that couldn't. The idea of this sort of reward, in this economy, seemed very, well, hurtful to those who weren't able to participate due to finances. Next year I am planning on sitting on the committee so I can be more involved with this and hopefully make an impact on what happens.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#79 of 86 Old 02-20-2010, 06:38 PM

The fundraisers drive me insane. I like the trashbags and GS cookies but I don't like useless junk. They never have magazines I would be interested in.

I'll donate to organizations like jumprope for heart, march of dimes reading drive, breastcancer marches, and other things where people do things to raise funds but I DO NOT WANT little figurines or expensive wrapping paper.

We will go to fundraising meal things like pancake breakfasts, taco dinners, spaghetti dinners and I am a sucker for a church bake sale. I will go to fundraising car washes.

I just mostly do not want stuff that sits around collecting dust and I don't want to pay $15 for cookies (which dd's karate is doing atm)

I would rather pay to have people take my stuff than sell it to me

I will give you twenty dollars to get this couch out of my house while my husband isn't here! I wish someone would call me about stuff for a rummage sale

Not all those who wander are lost 
#80 of 86 Old 02-20-2010, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOnDaEdge View Post
Samoas have a siren call
Don't you mean thin mints? As far as I'm concerned they come in a box that's just two servings.
#81 of 86 Old 02-20-2010, 09:23 PM

My DD sells girl scout cookies and she's 5. She goes up to the door with me standing behind her and she makes her pitch. She sold hundreds of boxes like that this year and raised a ton of money that her troop really needed since some of the kids can't afford to do some of the things the other girls are doing and need the troop to sponsor them in order to go. If they had been selling frozen cookie dough or plastic junk I wouldn't have let her participate but for girl scout cookies I'm ok with it. While walking around the neighborhood we had people pulling over in their cars to ask to order since they had been tipped off that there was a girl scout walking around.

If DD didn't want to sell the cookies she wouldn't have to. I don't think any school or organization should force kids to sell. If they want to sell to help other kids then that's great but it should never be required.

When I was a kid my Catholic school had one fundraiser every year and it was candy bars. The school bought them for 50¢ each and we sold them for $1 per bar. There was no requirement to sell any but it did get very competative (sp?) between the kids and the class that sold the most got to wear regular clothes one day instead of their uniform.

I take issue with school fundraisers partly because we homeschool. We already pay taxes to fund the schools, we shouldn't have to buy wrapping paper to subsidize them too. It makes me want to start going door to door selling trinkets at a 500% markup to buy my kids books or trips to the zoo but we don't because we pay for what our kids need and don't ask others to foot the bill. I have never felt guilty for saying no to a kid selling stuff.

I guess I don't understand why activities can't be pay your own way. When I was in high school everything had a fee. If you wanted to be on the baseball team you had to pay a certain amount plus rent your uniform from the school and buy your own t-shirt. You also had to own your own glove and bat since the school didn't supply them. I'm sure there were kids who couldn't afford it, one year I couldn't be on the swim team because we didn't have the money but that's the way the world works. Why has this changed? Why are kids now expecting others to give them money to do these things? Inexpensive things should be paid for by the school, they get an average of $8000 per student. I have about $2000 to homeschool two kids and we are able to do most everything we want plus we use up to date textbooks and consumable workbooks. That amount includes extracurriculars and lessons. Why can't schools make this happen with 8x that amount in tax money to play with? Maybe schools taking the time to eliminate wasteful spending would allow them to fund projects without fundraising.

I really don't like kids raising money for fun extras or trips, like school ski clubs raising money to buy lift tickets - I'd like to go skiing too but it's expensive, if these kids want to go they need to earn the money themselves since they are usually teenagers anyway and could at least babysit or mow lawns for the money. Panhandling is the other annoying thing, no matter how many times you shake that coffee can in my face in front of the grocery store to raise money to buy you and your swim team new jackets I am not going to put my change in it, what's wrong with the jacket you're already wearing?
#82 of 86 Old 02-21-2010, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I am glad that while dd's charter school is POOR and has to fund raise at least the core values of the school are reflected in the fund raising choices.
We had:
*usborn book fair
*koru catalog http://korufundraising.com/
with organic spices, organic body products, reuseable bags etc
*and a WAHM who did the school pictures (which turned out so beautiful and not cruddy like normal big name school pics)

I also did a fund raiser for the school where i bought 400 hand made fair trade finger puppets @ a little under $1 each and sold them for $2 each. I made the school over $300 and the items were something the kids liked, were used for gifts, and were aligned with the school values. I donated the unsold puppets to a local shelter a few days before xmas so all the kids in the shelter had one gift to open.

We have talked about charging a school fee each year for the students so that there doesnt have to be as much fund raising. The school uses a lot of really nice materials (beeswax crayons, water colors, wool yarns etc) so the parents hardly have any supplies to buy. I think i spent under $10 on school supplies this year - had to get a box of bandaids, a pack of printing paper and a box of ziplock bags. At the local public school i would have to buy between 50-100 worth of supplies. So, i wouldnt mind spending the $50-100 supply fee instead of as many fund raisers.
#83 of 86 Old 02-22-2010, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
"Yes... she goes to a Catholic school... and yes they do not have enough money to operate, hence them not having a music or art teacher....

But then they should raise their tuition, not have some unattainable fundraising goal to meet that the parents end up writing a check out for anyway.

Seriously, DSD would have to sell thousands of dollars of crap to meet her goal... and let's be realistic... she is 5, so she isn't selling anything... her parents are."

My dd also goes to a religious nonprofit school. And I would like them to charge what it costs upfront. If they were to have a scholarship fund for students who couldn't afford the standard rate, I'd be happy as heck to fundraise for THAT.
#84 of 86 Old 02-22-2010, 06:58 PM

My niece's public school was really heavy on the fundraisers in the beginning of the year but they've slowed right down since before Halloween. For the most part I don't mind it but I HATE HATE HATE those "prize" sheets they send home with the kids. Try explaining to a 4 year old that the remote control car she wants to win requires over $1000 in sales and we don't know nearly enough people to make that even a remote possibility.
#85 of 86 Old 02-22-2010, 07:06 PM

Our neighborhood doesnt allow people to go door-to-door selling stuff (anything at all).

I do buy girl scout cookies (like 1 box a year), because they taste good.

I'd rather do something like volunteer at the school vs. buy random junk. In my first 2 years of college I spent 450 hours tutoring in elementary schools in southern california, great experence for me (Im working on a teaching degree), great for the kids, and great for the teachers.
#86 of 86 Old 02-22-2010, 10:01 PM

Fundraising doesn't bother me.

Private schools, IMO, are businesses. If they build it into the financial model for the kids, so be it. You have a choice to send your kids or not. What's the difference between adding a couple of hundred to the tuition vs fundraising a couple of hundred? Half dozen of one, six of the other.

My DD sells cookies for Guides and loves it. Life skills, counting money, learning a sales pitch, pride in selling, learning how to be heard. I don't see anything wrong. And people around here love to buy the cookies - never seen a grumpy person once.

Public schools - obviously underfunded, and typically fundraising benefits the school as a whole, which benefits my kids. Can't really see anything wrong with this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page