Why do people refer - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 107 Old 02-26-2010, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I used a bucket seat with my nephews and I hated them so much. They made the baby weigh at least twice as much as he would have otherwise, plus I always ended up bruised up and down my side. So I was already against them before I had a kid. Then I found out about slings when I was 18 and decided they were for me and have used that instead of a bucket seat to carry my son around.
Although I live in a cold climate, we used a convertible car seat and just bundled him up before putting him in it, then unbundled him insidethe store and wore him in the sling. As a disclaimer, I only had the one kid and my husband came with me most of the time. I'm curious to find out what kind of system we'll develop when I have two kids, especially since DH doesn't go grocery shopping with me anymore.
For myself, I would not buy a bucket seat just because the temptation to just leave the baby in there is too great, especially when they're sleeping and despite the risks. If you have a convertible, you have to take them out. It did mess up quite a few naps and was kind of annoying, but eh. We lived.

Mother to one (8/08) with another on the way (04/11)
#92 of 107 Old 02-27-2010, 02:51 AM

hmm...I have a 10 yo, a 6 yo, and a 3 yo. I held, played talked with them all of the time at home and I had two kids who were happy to spend and hour a day in their carseat, bucket, whatever you want to call it when we were out...if makes me laugh to think people on here might be criticizing that as un-ap when right now the both of them are asleep in my bed because we still co-sleep. lol.

Anyway, one of my kids hated it (the carseat/bucket) and hated the sling and I just didn't go out for a few years....one of my kids liked the bucket and hated the sling - should I have forced him into it?

so silly - maybe we should all just focus a bit more on what we need in target and get home to play with/read to our kids rather that criticizing the other parents who we don't really know. just an idea.
#93 of 107 Old 02-27-2010, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix23 View Post
DD2 hated being worn with an undying passion. The bucket on the other hand, made her happy. So my choice was to put the baby in the sling and let her scream and fight through the shopping trip, or leave her in the bucket where she would be either sleeping or looking around happily. Everyone always acts like slings are the answer to all baby problems, but I never found that to be true. Both my girls, dd2 especially, really preferred being in the bucket while we were shopping.

As for the person who asked how slings could be over used, I don't know how many times I've heard people on various message boards talk about forcing their baby/toddler into a sling just because it was more convienient for the mom. I've even seen people say that they knew their toddler preferred riding in a stroller, but THEY didn't like the way it looked, so the child was forced to unhappily be in a sling. I think that sometimes people forget that being AP is about listening to your child, not checking off a check list of crunchy ideals.
Thank you! I think this point is missed quite a bit!

~TRACY, wife to loving dh, mommy to dd (10/05), ds(12/08), 3 kitties, & 2 pups.
#94 of 107 Old 02-27-2010, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I found the bucket seat useful for when the car was freezing cold and I could get my babe situated inside in a warm seat wtih a blanket and put the whole thing in the car. You aren't supposed to use big coats in a carseat either, so it just seemed to me to be the best way to keep the baby warm in the winter.

I used them shopping if hte baby was asleep and I didn't want to disturb her. I'd put the bucket in the main part of the shopping cart, not on top.

I didn't find them useful in any other way, but those two things, particularly teh first, made them very useful for me.

Where I live, most people I know call them "bucket seats" or "bucket car seats" when differentiating from convertible seats, and I live in a place where most people use them a lot. Those moms call them bucket seats too. Again, when talking about that particular style so people know what kind of car seat they mean.
#95 of 107 Old 02-27-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
We actually did that once with dd1. DH put her in the bucket, and was also dealing with something else. We drove up the hill to my mom's, and went to get her out...and she wasn't done up. We were both just like "OMG". That's never happened again, though.
Well that can happen with the front facing seats too. Ask dh, he did it when dd1 was about a year old.
#96 of 107 Old 02-27-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolar2 View Post
It is fine to put carseats in the MAIN basket of a shopping cart. Just not in the top basket. The reason it is "OK" to put the carseat in the car and not the top basket of the shopping cart, is even though a car toppling over would obviously be dangerous, the carseat won't cause the car to topple over on its own. But a carseat on the top basket of a shopping cart can make the shopping cart topple over just by its own weight. So yes, when I see someone with a carseat in the top basket of the shopping cart, I think they are ignorant of that specific piece of information, even though they may be extremely knowledgeable about everything else. (I know several mothers who are experts on all sorts of things but ignorant of a few safety issues. I'm sure there is something I am ignorant of, too.)
Why is it ok to put a 40-pound child in the front of a shopping cart then? Wouldn't the overall weight be even greater than an infant in the carseat?

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#97 of 107 Old 02-28-2010, 12:15 AM

@ Bokonon: The weight limit is 35 pounds on the shopping carts (it says it there, e.g. Target, PetCo all list it).
#98 of 107 Old 02-28-2010, 03:20 PM

Trying to put on a mei tai or a long wrap in a slushy parking lot isn't all that easy...unless you like the ends of your carriers to get filthy. I love babywearing, but there probably will be certain times where I use the bucket when we are out. And I'll be wanting to yell at everyone I see "Don't judge me...I usually have my baby in a sling!!!!!" and "She will be let out of this bucket as soon as we get home!!!". "Look at her round head...see...see!!!"

caffix.gif

#99 of 107 Old 02-28-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nia82 View Post
@ Bokonon: The weight limit is 35 pounds on the shopping carts (it says it there, e.g. Target, PetCo all list it).
Oh OK, I never looked. My son is about 35 pounds but doesn't sit in the cart anymore.

Then...why is it ok for a 35 pound kid to sit in a cart? It's still heavier than a carseat + infant.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#100 of 107 Old 02-28-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
Oh OK, I never looked. My son is about 35 pounds but doesn't sit in the cart anymore.

Then...why is it ok for a 35 pound kid to sit in a cart? It's still heavier than a carseat + infant.
I think it has to do with the center of gravity. I once saw a cart topple in Toys R Us with a baby in a bucket in the top basket and it was a very traumatizing experience for me. I thought about it for months. It was terrifying.
#101 of 107 Old 02-28-2010, 04:15 PM

I believe it has to do with the center of gravity and the fact that those seats "perch" up on top of the front.

Although I will say that my 7 month old is in a low % for weight - 16 lbs., and her bucket weighs almost 15 lbs, so she is getting close to the limit that way - I am amazed how many older babies (9+ months and BIG) I see still in those buckets on the carts. They are definitely over the limit when combined with bucket weight. Surely they can sit up by now? I know mine was early, but she has been sitting in the shopping cart seat since she was 6 months.

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).
#102 of 107 Old 02-28-2010, 05:36 PM

I too think the center of gravity is shifted if you put a bucket with a heavy baby on there.... And I wouldn't put a toddler heavier than 35 pounds in a cart when it clearly states it's not ok to put him in there!
Instead , you can use those "playcarts" (those that come with car attachments and stuff), at King Sooper's those list a total capacity of up to 80 pounds (you can put two kiddos in there). Or if we go as a family, DH walks with DS through the store and I do the shopping.... But most kids aren't as heavy as my DS who is approaching the 35 pounds at 18 months.
#103 of 107 Old 03-02-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi526 View Post
I don't think people object to infant travel systems, which is what I think you are referring to. They object to people who leave their kids in them for hours and hours and hours. I had one of those for my girls when they infants. It was great cause when they fell asleep in the car, you could bring them inside without waking them. It was also good when we were in the grocery store and they were too young to sit up. I would just set the seat in the cart and off we would go. That being said, I didn't leave them in the seat after we got out of the car, unless they were sleeping or we were in the grocery store. They only were in the seat when necessary, which I dont think is a problem.
#104 of 107 Old 03-02-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBecGo View Post
Aw, wait a minute, LOOK how comfy this mama looks!

http://www.twinkleandwhimsy.com/flyi...rierstrap.aspx
Oh look it's a sling!

DS is in his in the car, period. He hates it and I dont' blame him. Honestly it doesn't look very comfortable but I agree, it's safe - for the car. Otherwise, we're holding him or if we're taking a long walk he's in his (big bulky travel system) stroller, which he loves. I had every intention of wearing him but he HATES - HAAAAAATES - being worn. Funny how things work out in real life. Sigh.

Lore, mom to my sweet little boy, born at home 11/09, and my spunky little girl, born in the hospital 10/10

#105 of 107 Old 03-02-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy View Post
Well that can happen with the front facing seats too. Ask dh, he did it when dd1 was about a year old.
Yeah - I think it tends to be when there's a lot going on, and one parent gets distracted while doing up the seat, and then the other parent thinks the first parent had it covered, and...yikes!

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#106 of 107 Old 03-02-2010, 05:24 PM

We have an infant seat installed in the truck, but that's all it is used as; a carseat. DD hates being in it, for one, and will scream the moment she's strapped in. It rarely exits the truck & the only time she sleeps in it is when we're traveling somewhere. As soon as we come to a stop, she wakes like clockwork and demands out. I use my wrap for grocery shopping and other outings, though.

brandi
Wife to Thomas (03/05) Mama to Tommy (04/06) & Emma (01/10)
#107 of 107 Old 03-03-2010, 12:28 PM

I've only read about half the replies.

I think the big question this raises is about makining people feel guilty for things that show they aren't good enough parents.

Like a bucket seat. Or a few days ago I got the evil eye for putting my baby in the car while I put my grocery cart into the coral, within site of the car and with the car locked. Or maybe it was because I shopped with the baby in the bucket.

On the face of it my ds spends a lot of time in "contraptions". My dd1 liked some, and dd2 wouldn't even sit in one for a moment and had to be worn or carried at all times. Ds is mellow, and more than that, I have two older kids including a nursing toddler, three dogs, and a dh who is away half the time. If ds is content, you can bet I put him down somewhere while I do other things - nurse dd2, clean, put the dog out, pee myself...

Sometimes it seems like people are way to rigid about the "right" way to parent if you don't want to somehow ruin your baby.

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page