"Is there any dinner left?" -- An hour after dinner - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-25-2010, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: sleep. I'm pretty aware that I am cutting it close in getting the kids enough sleep. They have to be up and moving by 6:30 to get to school on time and bedtime for DD (7) is currently 8:30 and DS (10) is 9. Both kids need to be woken up most mornings, so I figure that they probably really aren't getting as much sleep as would be optimal. Right now its almost always closer to 9 by the time DD lays down, which of course also delays bedtime for DS as well.

Dinner is based on when everyone does/can get home from work, activities etc. and not very easy to change the schedule on. I am pretty good at quick dinners and/or crockpot options, so its not a matter of lots of cooking making dinner later than it has to be.

She's never been much of a breakfast eater, has morning snack and lunch at school, and they are welcome to snack on whatever when they are home -- mostly I keep pretty healthy stuff around. Since starting medication more and more of her lunch is coming home uneaten, unfortunately. Generally by 6-ish I request that snacks be things I would put on the dinner table and she tends towards veggies at that point.

She is definitely a grazer and always has been. I know this is healthier than big meals, I just wish that when I asked her to take her shower I didn't always hear "But I'm still eating". Sigh. I guess I should probably just keep repeating "This too shall pass". I'm not sure why I thought we'd be past "challenges" once they moved to school age.

Hm... I wonder if the answer isn't to move shower up so at least that is done when she goes into snack mode? Though that would take away the time she and DS tend to play together... How is it that the schedule for 2 kids can be so complex?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2010, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Can you have her shower while you are making dinner? Stopping snacks two hours before dinner may help also because she won't be as full from grazing.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
My dd is a grazer and a slow eater and IT DRIVES ME CRAZY. We have just given up and figure she needs to eat a bit every few hours. In kindergarten she has the smallest lunch of any kid there and she still usually brings some home and eats a bit in the car. In the mornings it takes her a full hour to eat a container of yogurt.

Right now i am pg and sometimes we go out to dinner and i eat 3 bites of food and then am full feeling and then eat 1/2 my dinner at home later and more before bed. I figure it is better to follow the body signals then force food at specified times.

With dd and ds we do a bedtime snack but it is a choice of something quick and easy - a cheese stick, a cup of milk, a banana etc. My only "rules" are no junk before bed and i am not cooking anything (she would request a steamed artichoke or some roasted broccoli or a steak at 9pm) With me being pg dh is often bringing up 3 cheese sticks for me and the kdis to munch before bed. This only takes a few minutes and no one is going to bed hungry.

User Tag List