S/O Do You Kiss Your Kids on the Lips? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-05-2010, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No lip kissing here...although DD1 keeps asking for it! For us it's also something that happens between people romantically. The other thing is, I especially don't want her kissing people outside of the family on the lips and this is just one of those boundaries I want her to be aware of as early as possible.

I have relatives who have passed on cold sores to very little babies because of lip kissing and I want to avoid that...it just looks too painful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2010, 04:10 PM

Definitely lip kiss!! Didn't even realize that others don't until I started reading this thread. Interestingly, I still kiss my grandparents on the lips, but don't kiss my parents at all, although I do remember kissing them on the lips when I was little. I think, in my situation at least, it was probably the adults that initiated the stop.
I called dh to tell him about the thread and ask his opinion about lip kisses with your children, and his response was, "yeah, I remember girls in grad school with me saying that they would never breastfeed because it was too sexual." So yeah, I do think just as society has conditioned many of us to think of breasts as purely sexual, society has also conditioned some of us to think of lips as purely sexual. Insane!!!
Old 03-05-2010, 11:04 PM

Yes we do

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
Old 03-06-2010, 12:19 AM

Of course. I kiss family members and friends on the lips. So not romantic to me.

I have never met anyone in real life that doesn't kiss their kids on the lips.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:32 PM

My family kisses on the mouth, Dh's family doesn't. Our son is seven, he only kisses me and his younger cousins on the mouth. It's clearly affectionate and not sexual.

My in laws are very concerned about any "sexual" behaviors. Naked one olds coming out of the tub, breast feeding, and men (as in DH and his father) hugging are all behaviors they view as sexual. Maybe, it's cultural........
Old 03-06-2010, 03:30 PM

Yes - and of course we kiss lots of other places as well!!

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
Old 03-06-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
I have never met anyone in real life that doesn't kiss their kids on the lips.
Everyone you've ever met has kissed their kids on the lips in front of you? Or do you ask each person as you meet them? Personally, I can't remember ever having seen a parent kiss his or her kid on the lips in real life.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:11 PM

I've seen the majority of dd's classmates kiss their parents on the lips at drop off or pick up. Every time I am at a playgroup or any parent thing, I see parents kiss their kids on the lips.

I see adults kiss their parents at weddings, funerals, etc. My friends kiss each other when we haven't seen each other in a while.

No one seems weirded out by it.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:20 PM

I saw super nanny kiss the kids on the lips last night (when she left temporarily, to see if the parents would follow through). Not even a family member, there! Maybe it is cultural.

My youngest and I kiss several times (on the lips) whenever we are on our way out of a grocery store. I don't know why it started, but he always remembers... maybe b/c he's at the perfect height in the seat of the shopping cart. So, not that I care, but I wonder if other shoppers think it's weird/creepy/inappropriate. Like I said up-thread, I thought kissing your LO's on the lips was the norm.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no5no5 View Post
Everyone you've ever met has kissed their kids on the lips in front of you? Or do you ask each person as you meet them? Personally, I can't remember ever having seen a parent kiss his or her kid on the lips in real life.
Oh wow! NEVER?! I see lip kissing between parent and child all the time. Playgroups, the elementry school, at the park, grocery store, lots of places!

mother, wife, lover of life.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambersrose View Post
Oh wow! NEVER?! I see lip kissing between parent and child all the time. Playgroups, the elementry school, at the park, grocery store, lots of places!
Nope. That's why I'm so surprised to that the majority of mamas on here apparently do it. I'd say it must be regional, but I've spent a lot of time in a lot of different places, and a lot of time around parents & kids, so I don't know what it could be.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Yeah, I can only remember seeing it once (in New Zealand). I used to take care of a boy whose grandmother kissed him on the lips, and I remember being pretty taken aback by it - I didn't think it was sexual as it clearly wasn't, but it definitely struck a "Whoa, that's unusual" nerve. New Zealanders tend to be fairly un-touchy-feely, though, IME.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Nope. That's why I'm so surprised to that the majority of mamas on here apparently do it. I'd say it must be regional, but I've spent a lot of time in a lot of different places, and a lot of time around parents & kids, so I don't know what it could be.
I agree. I don't think I've ever seen it. As I said, not one parent here does that. It would definitely stand out.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:21 AM

Quote:
In our family, mouth-to-mouth kissing is for people who are romantically involved. But I've had friends who do mouth-to-mouth kissing with their parents even into adulthood. It's not for us, but I don't judge.
Quote:
So you have friends who've kissed their parents into adulthood, but you've never seen anyone do it in real life? Do you ask everyone you know like you asked me earlier?

Old 03-07-2010, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
So you have friends who've kissed their parents into adulthood, but you've never seen anyone do it in real life? Do you ask everyone you know like you asked me earlier?
I certainly do not. Nor did I claim to know the status of every person I've ever met. Believe it or not, I was once at a party in which we discussed the variation in kissing habits across cultures. Several of the people present (including a few I'd call friends) were European and they universally stated that they engaged in mouth-to-mouth-kissing with family and friends. I've no reason to doubt it, though I've never seen it happen.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:27 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lip kisses here too! Only between my hubby and I and our children though. Everyone else gets a cheek kiss. But I'll take every last kissy lips I can get because it won't be long before the most affectionate I'll get out of my boys will be a teenage grunt! LOL!

Mother, wife, doula, and lactivist.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:36 AM

My LO is only 14 months and DH and I both kiss him on the lips so far. I don't know what it will evolve into.

My dad, being Italian, always kisses me and my sister on the lips. His mother still kisses him on the lips. My mom, on the other hand, rarely even hugs us. DH's parents are huggers, but I can't remember them ever kissing their kids.

This is a pretty interesting survey. I agree with what others have said; parent to child kisses on the lips seem to be very cultural.

Me, DH, and 2 babyboy.gif.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:52 AM

yep, we lip kiss

::::
Welsh Mummy to My long awaited beautiful boy and girl. Proud Wife of my best friend.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:07 AM

Kids are 14, 11 & 9. Their dad only gives cheek kisses to them all, I kiss Ds14 & dd 9 on the lips still. Ds 11 always turns his cheek to me, for a kiss, which is fine, thats what HE prefers, and I respect that 100%. Ds 14 will still give lip kisses, even around his friends, lmao! (Bye buddy, Im leaving for work! He will pucker his lips, lol etc....)

I am almost 30 and My brother is 32. We still kiss mom on the lips, but dad, I kiss him on the forehead or cheek, he is not a lip kisser either....

To each their own, whatever each is comfortable with.

**My Bff & I even give lip kisses.....Just not odd to some ppl I suppose.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:24 AM

We kiss on lips. But then maybe it's cultural? We're in the UK, and i also kiss friends, my dad and even my midwife on the lips!

Definitely not sexual to kiss my dad!

Both DD's dad and step-dad lip kiss her too. She will hold your face to get a lip kiss

I think if lip kissing is sexual for you then no, you obviously shouldn't lip-kiss anyone but your lover, but if it isn't then have at it with anyone who is comfortable with it!
Old 03-08-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
I bet she meant everyone she is friendly with in her life, but just didn't use the right words to articulate that....
For us it would be about the same. We definately have never thought about other people thinking it would be weird to smooch our sweet little one on the lips from time to time, I kiss her cheeks, her belly, her little hands and feet....
And all of my friends are fine with it and I have seen them all do it, too....
But I could see other people having rules about such things, people have rules and hang-ups about all kinds of stuff.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:06 AM

We kiss on the lips.

I never thought I would, either, since I come from a family who didn't at all. I grew up thinking it was "weird" to see other kiss their parents on the lips, too. Funny how much we change when we have kids of our own.

brandi
Wife to Thomas (03/05) Mama to Tommy (04/06) & Emma (01/10)
Old 03-09-2010, 02:42 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I grew up kissing my parents on the lips but I've moved to more of a "OH is the only one" mindset. That said, if the girls go to kiss me on the lips, I don't freak. They're usually cheek-kissers anyway.

Kris: "auntie" to W (7yrs)  and Z (5yrs)

→Waiting to start my own little family←
Old 03-09-2010, 03:16 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by THBVsMommy View Post
We kiss on the lips.

I never thought I would, either, since I come from a family who didn't at all. I grew up thinking it was "weird" to see other kiss their parents on the lips, too. Funny how much we change when we have kids of our own.
SAME!

Before my daughter started aiming for the lips I thought, oh no WAY. But now I think hey, at least she still wants kisses. One of these days she's going to, "Oh MOOOOoooOOOOM" me and break my heart!
Old 03-09-2010, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaDJ View Post
I absolutely kiss my babies on the mouth. It's a natural and protective thing for breastfeeding pairs: http://www.unhinderedliving.com/motherkiss.html
I also chew my babies' food and will feed them from my mouth. I've seen monkeys do it and frankly it never occurred to me not to do either.
I do this too, it's odd how much I use my mouth in mothering if I think about it, but it never occurs to me that it's weird!
Old 03-09-2010, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey44 View Post
Definitely lip kiss!! Didn't even realize that others don't until I started reading this thread. Interestingly, I still kiss my grandparents on the lips, but don't kiss my parents at all, although I do remember kissing them on the lips when I was little. I think, in my situation at least, it was probably the adults that initiated the stop.
I called dh to tell him about the thread and ask his opinion about lip kisses with your children, and his response was, "yeah, I remember girls in grad school with me saying that they would never breastfeed because it was too sexual." So yeah, I do think just as society has conditioned many of us to think of breasts as purely sexual, society has also conditioned some of us to think of lips as purely sexual. Insane!!!
This was exactly my reaction! I had no idea others thought lip kissing was weird or taboo. Like your DH, the similarity between "lip kisses for lovers" and "boobs are for men" popped immediately into my head.

DH kisses the girls on the lips, as do I, although the girls reserve the right to decline depending on the state of DH's beard and mustache LOL!

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

Old 05-16-2010, 05:22 AM
Gal

Sorry, I'm bumping this thread...

Yesterday at a cafe, a woman commented of how inappropriate it was for DD to be kissing her dad on the lips
At first I thought she was joking, nope she was serious. I asked why and she said "Because a grown man shouldn't be kissing a little girl on the lips even if he's the father"
WHAAAAAAT?????????

Sorry, needed to vent.

Mum to Gila(6)
Old 05-16-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusma View Post
heck, i'm 35 and still kiss my mom on the mouth.
Same here

My family = me + dh & ds +

User Tag List