Mothering Forum banner

S/O Do You Kiss Your Kids on the Lips?

8K views 147 replies 108 participants last post by  linchi 
#1 ·
Someone on another thread said that lip kisses were only for lovers. I only have a 1 year old DD and my husband and I kiss her on the lips all the time. She knows the word "kiss" and she'll pucker her lips out and it's just the cutest thing ever. I will kiss her on the lips until it embarrasses her and she wants me to stop.

See less See more
#53 ·
We do sometimes, but we take our cue from dd. She just turned 6. There are tons of snuggles, zerbits (sp?) etc. over here. One time she "open mouth kissed" me and I must admit that completely freaked me out. She said that's how me and Daddy do it, so I did explain a bit of a difference there.

What has always made me uncomfortable is touching/smacking on the bum. I patted dd there as a baby, as a comfort thing; but ever since then I'm just careful not to touch her there if I don't have to. I think her sweet little behind is cute, but it's hers and to me it's private. OT, I guess, but that's where my boundary is with my kid.

#54 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbie64g View Post
If I had a nickle for every lip kiss I get from my kids, Id be a very rich woman.

Awww, sounds like you're pretty rich even without the nickels.

I totally kiss my DS on the lips, but he's only 9 months old-- I don't know how long he'll let me do that! Given that we're a breastfeeding pair, I don't think too many extra germs are going to be transmitted via kissing.

#56 ·
Not intentionally. If DD goes to kiss me and kisses me on the lips, that's perfectly fine, but it's not something I would initiate. It feels too intimate to me, but I certainly wouldn't raise an eyebrow if I saw someone else do it w/ their young children.

I would NOT like it if anyone else kissed my DD on the lips (even her beloved grandmothers. Too intimate for my comfort, and not something we do in our family)

I find it very interesting that there are adults who still kiss their parents on the lips. That must be a cultural thing, because it's not something that would even occur to me. Ick. Once I kissed my first boyfriend (Dh!
) at seventeen, lip kissing=romantic kissing for me.

#57 ·
I have no problem with lip kisses, but DS only receives kisses on the cheek and doesn't give them out. If he asks for a kiss or you ask to kiss him, he'll offer up his cheek for a peck.

#59 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtiger View Post
That kinda ended when the older one tried to french kiss me (or, as he put it "like Daddy kisses YYYY"). Uuuuh... no.

I tried that on my mom once...too many daytime soap operas (used to be that was ALL that was on during the day).

I'm not a hugger or a kisser by nature, but I really wanted to create a loving atmosphere where healthy touching is the norm, so I got used to it. (I feel like my distaste of hugs and intimacy is NOT healthy, which is why it's important to me.) DS kisses close friends on the lips (ours and his) and family, but I know that won't last forever. I'm trying to imagine a junior high school boy (or even an 8-year-old boy) kissing relatives or friends on the lips voluntarily.

#61 ·
Lip kisses here too between members of the family. I'd be weirded out if someone not close to us that way kissed dd on the lips but thinking about it as a child it was definitely normal to kiss grandparents and aunts and uncles on the lips. I wouldn't like that with I don't think if other people were kissing my child but I wouldn't give up those lovely toddler kisses for the world. My 5.5year old dd I think I sometimes turn my face away but she asks to kiss my lips and I'm not going to say no when I welcome her almost 2 year old sisters cute kisses.
I'm not remotely worried about germs between members of the family, we live in the same house, breathe the same air, use the same telephone, taps, toilets and light switches.

#64 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtiger View Post
We did lip kisses, but taught the kiddos that they were between them, Mommy and Daddy - others got cheek kisses. That kinda ended when the older one tried to french kiss me (or, as he put it "like Daddy kisses YYYY"). Uuuuh... no.
that's become a joke around here. single mommy here so dd hasnt ever seen me french kiss anyone. however she tried it after spiderman saying 'but mommy MJ kisses spiderman like that.' so i ended it by saying ewwwww i hate wet kisses.

we still continue to kiss on the lips (dd i notice prefers it) but no more french kissing - except as a joke. she gets into that position and then chases me trying to french kiss me and i run shouting ewww, ewww, ewww.

#66 ·
Lip kissers here too.Dd very rarely will kiss me,but ds does it all the time.This morning while waiting for the bus he kissed me.
There's nothing romantic about it.I grew up with very little kisses or even hugs,and vowed not to do that to my kids.I still have issues with even hugging friends and family,but not my kids.

#74 ·
We kiss on the lips, and I love the teeth kisses. I wouldn't want anyone else, even grandparents, kissing DD on the lips, but Mommy and Daddy do. I will stop whenever it makes her uncomfortable. My dad always kissed me on the lips as a child, and I can remember when it became gross to me. It hurt his feelings when I told him. I won't keep doing it when it becomes gross to DD, but I will soak it up as much as possible until that time.

#75 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by journeymom View Post
I don't kiss my kids on the lips. It's creepy to me. But I don't think anything sinister about people who do kiss their kids on the lips.
I'm curious about this. Can you explain further why this is creepy to you? To me, lips have multi purpose and kissing our kids is just one of the better ones
. It's almost like the people that view breastfeeding as sexual. I'm NOT saying this is how you think of lips and kissing kids, it's just the feeling I'm getting from some responses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.