Infant Sedative used in 70s. Thorazine? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 04-20-2010, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I should have read this thread, its freaking me out!

PHENOBARBITOL???? Isnt that the stuff you sprinkle on a rag and put over someones mouth to knock them out?!?!?!? Im afraid to give my kid Benedryl (milk allergy) unless he REALLY REALLY NEEDS IT.
#32 of 47 Old 04-20-2010, 04:14 PM

That's cloroform! Phenobarbitol is a a sedative and antiseizure medication, but it doesn't show up in murder mysteries.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#33 of 47 Old 04-20-2010, 04:15 PM

And yet, when they'd have open heart surgery, doctors used to perform it without anesthetic. Drug 'em to make 'em sleep, but not during surgery? I fear future historians will not be kind in retrospect.
#34 of 47 Old 04-20-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieFaye View Post
And yet, when they'd have open heart surgery, doctors used to perform it without anesthetic. Drug 'em to make 'em sleep, but not during surgery? I fear future historians will not be kind in retrospect.
Appalling, isn't it. They actually believed that babies and young children didn't feel pain. I hope history isn't kind.
#35 of 47 Old 04-20-2010, 05:06 PM

Had to chime in.

My BIL was given Thorazine (sp) in 1961 to sleep. Unbelievable.
#36 of 47 Old 05-07-2011, 01:58 AM

Your sister may well have been given Thalidomide...it was sold from 1957 until 1961 when it was taken off the market after being found to be a cause of birth defects in what has been called "one of the biggest medical tragedies of modern times"...it is what led to much stricter testing for medications.

#37 of 47 Old 05-07-2011, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessBB View Post

My parents were offered some kind of sleep aid when I was an infant (1978). I've never gotten a straight answer as to whether they gave it to me, which leads me to believe that they probably did. Also, they have held a grudge against me for my entire life because I was such a difficult infant and toddler (prob what we on MDC would classify as high-needs.) TO THIS DAY they bring it up all the time to the extent that it is a sticking point in their relationship with dh. It is one of the big reasons that I practice AP and gentle night time parenting. All this by way of saying, yes there was such a drug and yes, lots of parents used it.

SAHM to tiphat.gif  & modifiedartist.gif
#38 of 47 Old 05-07-2011, 03:51 AM

hmm, weird, I typed out a reply under the paragraph I quoted above but it only posted the quote.  Trying again...

Originally Posted by JessBB View Post

My parents were offered some kind of sleep aid when I was an infant (1978). I've never gotten a straight answer as to whether they gave it to me, which leads me to believe that they probably did. Also, they have held a grudge against me for my entire life because I was such a difficult infant and toddler (prob what we on MDC would classify as high-needs.) TO THIS DAY they bring it up all the time to the extent that it is a sticking point in their relationship with dh. It is one of the big reasons that I practice AP and gentle night time parenting. All this by way of saying, yes there was such a drug and yes, lots of parents used it. 

JessBB, I wanted to offer you a virtual hug becauce I know how you feel.  My parents treat me this way too.  I was actually sick as a baby/toddler...took them till kindergarten to figure out what was wrong.  But they even act like the surgery I had to fix the problem was something I did TO them.  They love to go on and on about how difficult I was.  I don't know if they drugged me as an infant (1970) but my mom was given speed by her doctor when she was pregnant with me because she was tired and they drugged my siblings and I as children with niquil. 

SAHM to tiphat.gif  & modifiedartist.gif
#39 of 47 Old 05-07-2011, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post

My aunt was given Phenobarbatol for her son when he was an infant. This was in the mid 80s.

This was a common "treatment" for colic.  Scary stuff.  I have a Mother Encyclopedia that references this.

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#40 of 47 Old 05-07-2011, 01:52 PM

It's insane that they gave Phenobarb for sleep.  I have quite a bit of experience with it, as my baby Gavin had severe seizures and required huge doses of it to keep some types under control.  It's a med that makes them sleepy for a day or two, then their body adjusts to the dose and they wake up on it. It seems to me it might work for a short period of time for "sleep" but the baby would get used to it. Wow, what a HORRIBLE idea.  :(

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#41 of 47 Old 05-07-2011, 03:18 PM

This would have been a little early that the 70's, but my mother says (I just asked her) that kids *were* given both Thorazine and paragoric, but they scared her, so she just "walked the floor" with her colicky babies.  They did still, back then, rub whiskey on babies' gums to help soothe them.  You know, they were just doing what they knew best to do, though.  I don't think they were out to make their lives easier, even if it meant harm to their children.  As we advance in science, we become more knowledgeable.

Our kids will probably look back on our time and say, "OMG!!  My mother actually gave me Hyland's teething tablets!!!  What was she thinking???"  ROTFLMAO.gif

cyclamen likes this.
#42 of 47 Old 05-08-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post

This would have been a little early that the 70's, but my mother says (I just asked her) that kids *were* given both Thorazine and paragoric, but they scared her, so she just "walked the floor" with her colicky babies.  They did still, back then, rub whiskey on babies' gums to help soothe them.  You know, they were just doing what they knew best to do, though.  I don't think they were out to make their lives easier, even if it meant harm to their children.  As we advance in science, we become more knowledgeable.

Our kids will probably look back on our time and say, "OMG!!  My mother actually gave me Hyland's teething tablets!!!  What was she thinking???"  ROTFLMAO.gif

LOL, I've already had people chastize me for using them. 

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#43 of 47 Old 05-08-2011, 09:23 AM

I guess that makes a lot of sense. MIL would brag about how her kids would sleep through the night, 12 hrs straight, every night, once they got home from the children's home (they were both adopted and in the early 70's, they kept the newborns at a children's home until the court stuff was done). My MIL was always telling me to give the kids whiskey and such when they were newborns. I am certain she likely drugged her kids (or got them drunk) to get them to sleep so long. She claimed I was letting my children control me by feeding them at night. DH was almost 10 pounds when he was born, but only about 15 when he turned one. No wonder...if he was being drugged every night and sleeping that long!

#44 of 47 Old 05-08-2011, 09:49 AM

Sometimes it wasn't the mom requesting things, it was the doctor pushing it.  Dh's grandma had two children ten years apart, and with her second she was in her 40's.  The doctor told her at the 1 or 2 week visit, that she was "too old" to be getting up with a baby all night, so he was going to just give her some drops to give the baby every night, and from then on, baby slept through the night.  He also told her, with both babies, that her milk was "blue" and to switch to formula at the 6 week appointments.  GMIL is very supportive of breastfeeding, and really wishes she'd been able to nurse (among other things, it would have helped them out a lot financially not to have to make formula!).  She's very APish, low-interventionish in the way she does things .... I know she didn't ask for the drug, but she is also very meek with authority figures and has told me she was more so as a younger woman.  So, the doctor just patronizingly decided what she could 'handle,' and she went along with it. 

Not all who wander are lost.
#45 of 47 Old 05-08-2011, 02:34 PM

I don't get the drugging babies thing, and never have. I once had a mom at a party tell me I should give ds1 something-or-other to make him sleep. He didn't have any sleep issues, but he was running around at the party (totally okay with the hosts - it was very much an all ages party, and ds1 wasn't the only child around that age...2.5 or so), and she told me I should give him whatever it was, so that I could have a break. I told her I didn't think drugging my toddler was a great idea, and she said that it wasn't really drugging them - just settling them down, and that she gave it to her dd a lot. *sigh*

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#46 of 47 Old 05-10-2011, 01:24 AM

My dad has recently starting going ON about paragoric!  It was never used with us, my mom would never have allowed it, but he's been talking about how HIS mom used to use it.  He was born in around '42, and he's the third youngest in a family of 7 kids (the oldest was about to be married when my dad was born, to give the range of ages!).  He said that if they had a long car trip, she'd dose up all the younger kids and have a peaceful drive. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewchris2642 View Post

Not that I'm aware of. My brother was born in 1960. My first was born in 1978. I have never heard of drugging babies so they will sleep. Joy's ped. did suggest Benadryl for Joy so that she could sleep when her coughing was keeping her awake after being sick. But she was over 6 (can't remember her age but she was elementary school age and Angela was no longer an infant) at the time.

That sort of thing is hard to really track, depending on where you are.  So much baby stuff from a certain timeframe is incredibly dependent on the area.  Many will say "in 1969 they did births in xyz ways", but then my mom had as close to a homebirth as she possibly could, while at the hospital, and then roomed in with me as well, even though "that wasn't done then".  But she was in San Francisco and things were a little different at the time, especially with the doctor she managed to find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanorh View Post

He also told her, with both babies, that her milk was "blue" and to switch to formula at the 6 week appointments.  GMIL is very supportive of breastfeeding, and really wishes she'd been able to nurse (among other things, it would have helped them out a lot financially not to have to make formula!).

Oh man, one wonders how on earth he knew?  And why he thought that was bad...my milk when pumped was sometimes different shades, and I read that so is cow's milk...what you eat makes different things happen...

Poor GMIL...

#47 of 47 Old 05-12-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairy2dogs View Post

hmm, weird, I typed out a reply under the paragraph I quoted above but it only posted the quote.  Trying again...

That is happening to me all the time when I use Internet Explorer 9.0. It doesn't happen with Chrome or Firefox.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page