Apartments and kids - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 60 Old 04-06-2010, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have done both, but most of DD's 4.5 years have been spent in apartments (minus the year she was 2-3.)

It's fine, I don't mind it.

The big con to me is neighbors and smoking. That's the bane of my existence. Everything else including the noise factor I find very livable after so many years.

I look for: separate (and clean) HVAC systems, washer and dryer, good closets in about that order.

I'd absolutely do it for the commute; time is one thing you can't get back and time spent on your butt traveling to and from work adds up fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 60 Old 04-07-2010, 03:07 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've lived in two apartments with children.

We moved out of our 3rd floor 2 bedroom apt. when I was pg with DS2 and mom needed to move in with us after my dad passed. Partly too many people, but also my kids at 3 1/2 and 1 1/2 were just too noisy to be in an upstairs apt. It was not fair to me to have to stress on disciplining them, THEM to not be able to be active, and the people below me.

NOW as a mom going on her FOURTH child, I would pick the large house and yard and the two-hour commute. Back with ONE child or an infant and toddler I might have picked 5 mins. and apartment.

Things I like about this apt. over my old one
--ground floor. (I think this is ESSENTIAL with young children.)
--individual outdoor entrances (again nobody can complain about their noise in the hallway)

--we have our own washer/dryer in our place
--sidewalk for kids to ride bikes, little bit of a yard.

Things I do NOT like
--nobody enforces any sort of rules about the playground, regarding ages of children allowed or supervision. And there's no bench or anything for parents to sit on, I think a lot more parents would be inclined to be there if there was a place to sit, y/k?
So....like the other day, DD rode her bike over, there were a bunch of middle-schoolish age kids on all the (very small kid, I'd say it's probably appropriate for up to about 9-10 at the oldest) equipment, and I very quickly hauled her out of there as I started to hear the 'f' word, among others.

MOST of the time, my mom or I are the *only* adults out with kids on the playground. My kids are *rarely* the only ones there.

--We desperately need more space, it is *small.*

--the kids right next door to me *supposedly* have older siblings supervising them in the summer. In reality, they run and do whatever they want all day, including fight with my kids. And they've done a few things right in front of their supervising 'babysitter', NOTHING happens! (I'm talking big, like chasing my kids with a giant stick, or pushing DD off her bike for the apparent 'crime' of riding by on the sidewalk in front of 'their' yard.) We've complained and NOTHING gets done, I've pretty much flat out been told they can't do anything because these people are on housing. (which *really* ticks me off, not the housing part, I could care less about that, but if this was MY children, we'd be evicted!)
There's no getting away from them, we'll just have to go to parks all summer to play outside without dealing with these kids. (the yards adjoin, there's NO fencing, you get the idea.)

So yeah I am REALLY REALLY wanting a house with a yard. And a fence.

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), one 13 wk (10/13) and 5/15 just your average multigenerational living family!!
#33 of 60 Old 04-07-2010, 03:53 AM

I would totally choose the short commute. That time spent in a car is such a waste, imho.

I live in a 2 story apartment building with outdoor steps and no lift. And I live on the top floor. I prefer the top floor though. I like that I don't have to worry about people walking by and looking in my windows. I like that it's a much more complicated venture for for any would be burglar. I only have one flight of steps and don't mind even when I have to make multiple trips to bring in the groceries. I have an assigned parking space (literally 5 steps from the stairs) so there aren't any parking concerns. I like that I'm upstairs because I'm not having to listen to my 2yo running and jumping on the floor which is my downstair neighbors ceiling. Upstairs just feels more private and safe to me. We have a large yard area behind the building and a mini playground with a b-ball hoop, swings, slide and rock climbing thing. There are sidewalks everywhere too. It does take us a bit more time if she walks up or down the stairs, and I hold her hand.... but that's such a small thing that I don't really see it as a big deal or reason to want a ground floor apartment.

Pre-motherhood, I lived on the bottom floor in a 1br apt. The apartment above me apparently had the bathroom right over my bedroom. And every night I was awoken by the sound of a man urinating over my head, and then he'd flush and the water would run down the pipe in the wall behind my head. And my patio had a big 8ft wooden fence so I couldn't see anything except a small patch of sky from it. My upstairs neighbors also dropped trash down in my patio area. I always felt suffocated in that bottom level apartment, like it actually felt like the ceilings were low although it was a modern building and they were probably the standard 8ft or whatever, so I've always tried to have top floors since.

I like being in an end unit, and having my own washer/dryer in unit is a big deal. I also like the shared wall to be the kitchen living room areas rather than the bedroom areas.
#34 of 60 Old 04-07-2010, 10:26 AM

We live in an apt. and love it. Eventually we may want a house (or not, depending on how we decide we want to spend our $). Our apt. complex is really nice--we live on the edge of some wilderness which is nice because dd and I like to do nature walks, we have a heated swimming pool for the summer, a gym, and lots of green space for walking and playing around. I love how we have such a diverse mix of people--lots of different ethnicities and ages. I love that I have a small space to clean--our apt. (a 2 BR) can be totally spotless and perfect in 2 hours with just me cleaning it, or 1 hour with dh's help. We have a balcony for our sandtable and container garden. We don't have to worry about yard work or property taxes. Living in a small space has made us very conscious about "stuff" and how much of it we allow into our lives. Our apartment is also close to dh's work so occasionally he gets to come home for lunch. We also live in between a great town park and a nature reserve. It's wonderful.

When looking for an apt., I always make sure there is: built-in AC, a balcony, a nice swimming pool, a playground. I also walk around the complex and get a feel for the residents to make sure it's a good mix--I don't like places that seem to cater to the college crowd. I check for apartment ratings online. I try and make sure we're near lots of nature and parks.

ETA: We've always lived on the top floor with dd (we live on the 3rd floor right now) and would never get a bottom floor for safety reasons and because we don't want to hear people overhead.

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
#35 of 60 Old 02-12-2011, 08:29 AM

It's fun to read all the stories of living with kids in apartments. That's something we're hoping to do (if we ever manage to actually get pregnant! fingersx.gif), so it is good to hear what works well and what the challenges are. Any other stories out there?

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#36 of 60 Old 02-12-2011, 11:30 AM

5 minute commute in apartment, easy choice. As for what to look for, we wanted an apartment that had green space for DS to play on. We had two to choose from and chose the one with lots of empty yard so DS can run around this summer. It also has a playground, is close to a walking trail and close to a popular beach play area along the river.

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

#37 of 60 Old 02-12-2011, 12:02 PM

We live in an apartment since last year after house-living the first 4 years with kids. We have twin 5 yr olds in a two bedroom apart. We have a washer/dryer and a garage (that is not nearby) for storage.

Pros:

short commute- we each drive about 10 minutes

good schools (we could not afford a house in this district)

no/low maintenance (DH travels so this is huge!)

pool access in the summer

less 'stuff'

Cons:

no playground nearby- we drive to the local one in good weather

it seems like it is forever messy- 4 people and 900 sq feet gets messy quick

parking stinks

Upstairs neighbor is noisy!

#38 of 60 Old 02-12-2011, 12:36 PM

We are apartment dwellers as well. Not much to add to what pp's have said except make sure there are no yappy dogs living in any apartments near yours. We had to live above a yappy dog for a year and it was torture!

#39 of 60 Old 02-12-2011, 01:37 PM

As long as the 5 minute away apartment was in a good neighborhood and had a school I liked nearby (homeschooling is illegal here), I wouldn't think twice about living in an apartment.   Especially since it's just you and your son (at least I'm assuming from your signature), space shouldn't be an issue.  DH and I lived for two years with DD, myself, and a cat in a 1 bedroom 400 m^2 apt and even though it was extremely tight it was within walking distance frmo work and a ton of playgrounds so we loved the location!  We're moving soon and currently looking for a new apt ourselves.  We'd do the same set up but the school that I fell in love with is farther away so we won't be able to live right next to work anymore. :( But trust me that travel time is sooo valuable, especially if you're a working mom!!!!!!!

As to what to look for.  Well, I think you can make do with whatever situation as long as you set up your furniture well enough ;) but it's always nice to have things like playgrounds/libraries/schools nearby. 

#40 of 60 Old 02-12-2011, 02:19 PM

There are pros and cons. We live in a condo in a great neighborhood with easy commutes. We can walk everywhere including two metro stations. We love our neighborhood and have a lot of green space to run around in.

I would never live in a ground floor unit due to safety concerns, but I think if you had a good alarm system you'd be OK. 

Our unit doesn't have a washer/dryer (there's a shared laundry room) which is the biggest downside BY FAR. So I'd look for a place with its own washer/dryer.

I would pick the apartment over the hellish commute for sure.

Rachel, mom to Eliana (age 3)
#41 of 60 Old 02-12-2011, 08:35 PM

LOVE our apartment living after ten years of single family homes...We are in a nice building with concrete walls and noise rules regarding flooring choices so we have no noise issues.  There are four apartments per floor (six floors) and two of our neighbors left DD "Santa" gifts at our door two weeks after we moved in.  The lift works fine, we have garage parking and I was so happy to downsize I don't think I ever want to go back to enormous consumption! 

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#42 of 60 Old 02-13-2011, 11:51 PM

Almost nothing but apartment living here in Hong Kong. :)

I agree w/ previous posters who wrote about having a washer in the house- very important. If possible, get a flat that also has some outdoor space (a balcony or a roof-top). We live in an apartment complex ("estate") that has a small playground, a pool, and a kids' play room. These really helped when the kids were young. If you don't have an estate or complex like that, try and find an apartment near a park where it's easy to take the kids.

Having an elevator helps - especially w/ groceries.

We live on the 5th (top floor) of a block w/ 4 flats per floor & altogether 6 blocks. 120 house-holds. We own our section of the roof-top and are able to garden (container) and BBQ there.

re: noise - try and get a place where there are other people w/ kids. Concrete walls and floors & rugs can help keep down the sounds you make.

re: space - practice discipline and try not to accumulate too much stuff and get rid of stuff when you can.

#43 of 60 Old 02-14-2011, 08:50 AM

I've done apartment, house, and duplex. my favorite was the duplex because in the house (my mom's house, middle class neighborhood) i felt like we didn't fit in with the neighbors...they all drove minivans and suvs and sshuttled their kids from one activity to another. There were no kids for him to play with and even thought the backyard was nice there were no sidewalks in the front, and the park was deserted all the time. the duplex was in a more crowded neighborhood and there were zillions of kids. I can deal with cramped quarters inside as long as there is some kind of yard and the street is safe for ds to roam around with a pack of neighbor kids. Right now we're looking for an apartment complex or neighborhood that also has townhomes, so that we can have our own dedicated backyard that we can use for a garden. I would be ok with an apartment if it was on the first floor so that I can send ds out to play without me. I wouldn't be comfortable sending him out to play if we were in an upstairs unit. However, ground floor apartments are less safe in terms of break ins. so it's a toss up.

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#44 of 60 Old 02-14-2011, 12:08 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I can imagine it being okay, but it stinks for us. We do live in a safe building in a safe area with an excellent landlord but an ungated pool area.  But everyone thinks we are noisy and we probably are. Traffic noise and hooligan noise is terrible. The air quality is bad. The walk to the laundry takes forever and we cloth diaper. We don't have any safe outdoor space for anything and our floors are uneven so no push toys or scooters will work. We have great parks but they all require a car ride. Everything still requires a car ride. We have to spend an additional $2400 to get a second parking space which we much have because of poor street parking and nanny.

I am SO DONE with apartment living.

#45 of 60 Old 02-14-2011, 12:38 PM

We did pick the condo over the commute.  It's great to be a renter in some ways, financially, when stuff goes wrong it's not our problem (like the brand new fridge that broke!) but I DO miss having a yard.  We have a playground we can walk to but it's not the same.  We end up driving to family's houses that have room to run around when it's a nice day and we want to BBQ or fill up the baby pool.  So if you have people nearby who welcome you to drop in and use their yard, it's not too bad.  Two hours wasted driving every day would not work in our family, we don't have enough hours in the day for everything that needs to get done as it is, but others with more flexible schedules and different needs deal with it just fine. 

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#46 of 60 Old 02-14-2011, 01:14 PM

nod.gif This is a huge plus for apartment living for us. There are always kids outside playing soccer, jumping rope, climbing trees, and riding bikes. One of DD's friends is always knocking and asking her to come out to play. In the summer, the pool is awesome. A lot of the house neighborhoods are often vacant. I don't understandy why, but no kids are outside playing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting2bemommy View Post

I've done apartment, house, and duplex. my favorite was the duplex because in the house (my mom's house, middle class neighborhood) i felt like we didn't fit in with the neighbors...they all drove minivans and suvs and sshuttled their kids from one activity to another. There were no kids for him to play with and even thought the backyard was nice there were no sidewalks in the front, and the park was deserted all the time. the duplex was in a more crowded neighborhood and there were zillions of kids. I can deal with cramped quarters inside as long as there is some kind of yard and the street is safe for ds to roam around with a pack of neighbor kids.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#47 of 60 Old 02-14-2011, 06:47 PM

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.”
- Buddha
#48 of 60 Old 02-15-2011, 05:56 AM

Well i guess it depends. We moved from the farm to a 'Luxury Apartment Complex' we got the ground floor and the attached garage and for the most part its been okay. people always complain about kids from all the whinging I hear other places but we've been botheres by the people above no matter what. the Air Force lady sounded like she was indoor bowling with cats at 3am. the next couple were okay. then they leased the two bed upstairs to two college girls. things were fine until they threw a tuesday night 2am party. then quiet until I had to go tell them to quit two nights ago and they have gone out of their way to be noisy ever since. We are moving as the complex is isolated and i cant function very well here. Another apartment but a big open one downtown whee we can walk to parks and zoos and shops and things. a 5min commute for hubby. its just for one more year then i can buy a house or go home to england or whatever. for us it was the lesser of two evils. DH can come home for lunch and be with his boy. I can function without a car and quit being a shut in. Its cheaper than the farm. on the downside. We HAVE to go to the park to play outside. No garden to plant or wander barefoot in. No pets. I miss the countryside and its a physical need for me BUT I can function. thats the most important bit. Where can everyone function best. If its time at home and easy access to things that you want then the apartment may be the better choice. choose your complex with care.

#49 of 60 Old 02-15-2011, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We're doing some apartment-hunting right now. Our choices are very limited because we're pretty poor, but right now we're trying to choose between a tiny (and I do mean tiny) apartment with a playground and a library and YMCA within walking distance or a townhouse with a full basement that would be a great playroom, but has no playground and isn't in walking distance of anything (but everything is within a short drive, including a science museum we have a membership to). It's really hard to decide!

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#50 of 60 Old 02-16-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane View Post

We're doing some apartment-hunting right now. Our choices are very limited because we're pretty poor, but right now we're trying to choose between a tiny (and I do mean tiny) apartment with a playground and a library and YMCA within walking distance or a townhouse with a full basement that would be a great playroom, but has no playground and isn't in walking distance of anything (but everything is within a short drive, including a science museum we have a membership to). It's really hard to decide!

Depends.  Do you have one car or two?  Do you like or dislike driving?  Are you a homebody?  Does the townhome have a yard, even a small one?  If your son will go to school, how far is it?

We bought our 700sf condo when we had one 18mo baby and now that we have two we are definitely looking for more room...will probably move after only 3 yrs here!  I say go with the townhome, but that may be a case of the grass is always greener.

#51 of 60 Old 02-16-2011, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I couldn't do the apartment. No way. I lived in an apartment when DS was little, and I hated not being able to let him outside. We did have a ground floor unit with the door to outside, but it was near a busy street and risky. Now I have two children, so I wouldn't go back to that. DH has nearly an hour commute by bus. He hates it. Unfortunately, our location doesn't translate into a HUGE yard, but it's bigger than that in the city proper. DH would rather get a house in the city - of which there are many - but that means getting a very small yard, which for me is nearly as bad as an apartment. But I grew up on a farm, and I just have issues with city life. ;)

Mama to Marcus (1/05) and Arianna (3/10). hbac.gif

#52 of 60 Old 02-16-2011, 12:09 PM

We've done both, and I would swap my apartment for our old house with garden and the 80 minute commute any day - the quality of life for the kids was just SO much better back then, I really regret moving - but then we moved country as well, small village by the sea for a flat just on the outskirts of Paris, 5 minutes from the beach is so much better than 5 minutes from work!!  Our kids also say that they preferred the life out in the open space to living where we do - but then I guess its horses for courses!!

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .
#53 of 60 Old 02-16-2011, 12:26 PM

We live in an apartment, in fact we always have and we like it OK, especially with regards to the commute. It would be nice to have a yard, but it's nice to be closer in than we could afford otherwise. Never had anyone complain about crying, and I even had a homebirth here. :)

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#54 of 60 Old 02-16-2011, 12:46 PM

I am 2.5 years into apartment living with young children and unless you have an elevator or are on the ground level I wouldn't recommend it.

I live on the 3rd floor, which is great for safety reasons and I never have to worry about noise above me.  But while walking up may not seem like a big issue at first, trying to get 2 toddlers up and down is quite a drag.  It also means that I can't really go grocery shopping during the day with the kids unless I want to leave them unattended in the apartment (which I don't) while I go back and forth from the parking lot to the building.  I am also pregnant with my 3rd and physically it's a lot of work.  We live in a place that has a pretty horrible winter so it means we stay pretty cooped up from November-February.  If you can get a garage, that's a bonus, as having to truck through slush, snow, and -20 temps with kids has not been very fun for me.

On the positive, I live only having 1100 sq feet to clean; I like the freedom of being able to move on to a different place when possible; and it's nice not having to worry about any maintenance issues.  Our complex is clean, in a good neighborhood and close to our library, but I do wish there was more for us to do within walking distance.  (We live in a suburb so you pretty much have to go every where by car.)  We also have a washer and dryer in our unit which was non-negotiable for me.  

I would really think about seeing if you can rent a duplex or townhome if you are used to the comforts of living in a house.

SAHM to DS 12/29/07 and DD 9/15/10 smile.gif
#55 of 60 Old 02-16-2011, 12:50 PM

With kids renting on the first floor is ideal! I dont care if there is an elevator.  Trucking in groceries with kids is a pain even in an elevator building. I suggest enjoying apartment living in a mainly home like neighborhood. Meaning, find a professionally managed community that isnt surrounded by other apartment communities.  It helps the experience feel much better when traffic and schools arent congested and a neighborhood with lots of homes vs apartments just feels safer for families with smaller children and teens. Enjoy it because there is something super special about having maintenance men who work specifically on your apartment and a swimming pool, multiple washers and dryers....and LOW utilities.

#56 of 60 Old 03-21-2011, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Ha, just found this old thread. I did decide to move into an apartment very close to campus, and it was the best decision ever. I found a really nice little place with a big grassy enclosed courtyard. We're on the ground floor, and it has washer-dryer facilities. It's also feels really safe and well-maintained.

I have to drive down to my old office once per week (basically the reverse of the commute that I would have been doing every day, had we stayed in our old house) and that just really proves to me that I made the right choice. Rush hour commuting sucks! I don't mind it so much once per week, but it would seriously impact my quality of life if I was doing it every day.

Other good things:

--I love seeing the maintenance guys mowing the lawn and stuff. Gawd, how I hate doing yard work, and how I love that someone else does it here. I have my potted plants, and that is more than enough for me to maintain (and even that is touch and go sometimes). I love that I can shoot an email to the apartment manager if something breaks, and a guy is over fixing it (for free) the next day.

--I love living in a pedestrian-friendly urban environment. It really makes me happy. And DS and I both have so many friends in a three-block radius. His daycare is a 10 minute walk down the street. There's also a lot of parks and coffeeshops and stuff super close. This weekend my boyfriend and I rode our bikes downtown for South by Southwest (a big music event) and it was so much fun being able to do that. 

--I do sort of miss having a yard for DS, but the courtyard is a pretty close substitute. He seems happy with it.

--I like that the space is smaller and easier to keep clean.

--I feel safer in an apartment than I do in a house. As a single woman, something about being surrounded by people makes me sleep easier at night. I'm not aware of every creak and noise like I was in the house. All the windows are really secure and visible, and there's no sliding door, so it seems safe. I would definitely notice if someone was breaking in.

Thanks for all the advice -- it definitely helped!

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#57 of 60 Old 03-21-2011, 03:59 PM

I'm curious how you all might look at things if:

a) the nice apartment near work costs more than the super nice house with big yard in the burbs

b) the commute involves sitting in a commuter train which is walking distance from the suburban house, NOT driving (one car family)

c) the suburban home is itself in a place with a pretty downtown, shops, restaurants and nature...all walking distance.

how would this sway your preferences?

I am finding this decision more difficult than I ever imagined! dizzy.gif The pros and cons of each seem to keep cancelling each other out. lol 

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

#58 of 60 Old 03-21-2011, 04:29 PM

We lived in a townhouse while DD was 9-15 months. It was pretty stressful. It was small and difficult to babyproof. We had a bit of yard, but every time we went out there I had to be on guard for the inconsiderate neighbors who would let their dogs out without a leash.

The good thing was that the walls between units were thick. I was so nervous the first week. dD would cry and night and I would worry about the neighbors. After a bit I realized that we hardly ever heard them so they probably rarely heard us.

I was so happy when our house was ready and we could move. Having some space and a yard made a huge difference for me.

Mom to Kira March 2009
#59 of 60 Old 03-21-2011, 04:30 PM

If I was to do an apartment again I would look for thick walls, dedicated indoor parking, and a washer and dryer in the unit.

Mom to Kira March 2009
#60 of 60 Old 03-22-2011, 08:24 AM

I'm so glad it is working out for you. I too feel safer when I am home alone in an apartment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by *MamaJen* View Post

Ha, just found this old thread. I did decide to move into an apartment very close to campus, and it was the best decision ever. I found a really nice little place with a big grassy enclosed courtyard. We're on the ground floor, and it has washer-dryer facilities. It's also feels really safe and well-maintained.

I have to drive down to my old office once per week (basically the reverse of the commute that I would have been doing every day, had we stayed in our old house) and that just really proves to me that I made the right choice. Rush hour commuting sucks! I don't mind it so much once per week, but it would seriously impact my quality of life if I was doing it every day.

Other good things:

--I love seeing the maintenance guys mowing the lawn and stuff. Gawd, how I hate doing yard work, and how I love that someone else does it here. I have my potted plants, and that is more than enough for me to maintain (and even that is touch and go sometimes). I love that I can shoot an email to the apartment manager if something breaks, and a guy is over fixing it (for free) the next day.

--I love living in a pedestrian-friendly urban environment. It really makes me happy. And DS and I both have so many friends in a three-block radius. His daycare is a 10 minute walk down the street. There's also a lot of parks and coffeeshops and stuff super close. This weekend my boyfriend and I rode our bikes downtown for South by Southwest (a big music event) and it was so much fun being able to do that. 

--I do sort of miss having a yard for DS, but the courtyard is a pretty close substitute. He seems happy with it.

--I like that the space is smaller and easier to keep clean.

--I feel safer in an apartment than I do in a house. As a single woman, something about being surrounded by people makes me sleep easier at night. I'm not aware of every creak and noise like I was in the house. All the windows are really secure and visible, and there's no sliding door, so it seems safe. I would definitely notice if someone was breaking in.

Thanks for all the advice -- it definitely helped!

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page