Is anyone else ok with their kids eating MOSTLY healthy, MOSTof the time? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 132 Old 04-11-2010, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't read the whole thread because this is a train wreck waiting to happen, lol... but here is my take on things. I am like one of the mothers the OP wrote about. We do not eat out, I take food everywhere, and we do not ingest dairy or gluten. i am currently working on removing the last of soy and I strongly avoid corn (since it is all now GMO or GMO compromised, same with soy). Once you begin to view a substance as a toxin, everything changes. As background, I drank soda constantly, ate fast food daily, worked in a pizza place... so I have not always been this 'weird' (according to most of the posts I did read) person. Did anyone see Jamie Oliver's food show where he showed the kids what is in a nugget? Why would a person want to eat that or give it to a child? Also, the meat in the burgers is not 100% meat even. It is skin, bone pieces, entrails, all the bits not sold as use for meat (just like the chicken bits in jamie's experiment). After they chop it all up, they soak it in ammonia. That is that familiar taste and smell I could never put my finger on when I worked in a McD. (also, what goes on behind the scenes at fast food and sit down restaurants, is appalling) Here is a link to the NY Times article that exposed this truth to the world. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/31/us...2&pagewanted=1 Now about why we choose to eat GFCFSFCF.... I do it for mostly (for lack of a better word) moral reasons. Dairy is an easy one for me. They take cows, get them pregnant, then take their babies away, screaming for their mother as their mother screams for them, usually on the day of birth. I think it is a horrible practice and I refuse to be any part of it. Even organic milk is produced this way. Back in the old days, it used to be someone near you had a cow and after it calved, they would milk it after the calf had its fill. Now the calves are taken away immediately, and either left to die or slaughtered for the veal trade. Very few are allowed to live, and the ones that do are to replace the adults that are already in the system. The adults are killed when only through half their life cycle, because production goes down after that. Since we are all attachment parents, looking at cow's milk in this way should be a life changing thought. I do not want to be any part of creating such a horrible aching and unhappiness for any living creature. If you have your own cow and respect it, or get milk from a family that does, and it is grass fed and the milk is raw, letting the baby feed first, then that is completely different. On to the next subject. Why should the animals be fed grass? Because in the US and other countries ALL of the animal feed is GMO. GMO is beginning to debilitate the food cycle already. When we vote with our dollars buy not buying less than healthy foods, we change the system. Chickens fed GMO corn knew it, they would not eat it- http://current.com/news/90598094_afr...ified-corn.htm GMO has been shown to cause organ failure in many studies, a few very recently. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0...95.html?fbwall These GMO crops are in all the candies on the shelves in America and some in other countries also. All the HFCS is GMO, all cereals contain GMO grains, unless they are organic. Hershey's contains GMO ingredients now. When I was a kid, junk food was still just bad because of the sugar, but now it is so much more. Now we get to food colorings. The food colorings which are being used so widespread today are so dangerous, there is a group of medical professionals trying for years to get them banned. There are safer alternatives that can be gotten just as cheaply. http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/109838.php People go around saying children act the way they do because they are children... and most of the time it is something they ingested... we are what we eat. I am sure I could write more, but I read the OP and I could have said the same things 5 years ago. Then I learned more. There is a reason not to give GMO foods and dyes and cow's milk (and gluten and soy, but that is another post I am sure). It is not optimal for humans to consume these things. They are toxins (in my and many others opinion and much is documented as such in medical and scientific studies). My children still eat sweets, I have not quit using sugar (yet). I use organic, fair trade cane sugar in my baked goods which I make weekly and freeze some. dd1 still enjoys candy, just not with toxic ingredients ( http://www.naturalcandystore.com ) I don't shop from there personally, but those are the brands I buy at the natural store when I go. I have a way of being blunt, and sure hope this post is taken the way I mean it, to shed light on why those of us that do as the OP said, do what we do, not to pass judgment an anyone else, just to explain why we are zealous. I do it because the food in mainstream America is the same as poison *to me*. I ate it for most of my life too though.

To begin to save the world, we must first nurture the children. Read "The Continuum Concept: In Search of Happiness Lost"    saynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactlact.gifMe-hippie.gifreading.gifhelp.gif10.5 yo dd1- nut.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif ; 5 yo dd2- angel.gifhearts.gifbouncy.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 132 Old 04-11-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan73 View Post
Yeah, I don't get what's so bad about a microwave, either. It saves SO much energy to cook a sweet potato in the microwave instead of the oven. That's also how I reheat much of my big-batch Sunday cooking over the week.
And anyway, HOW would a parent get a hot cup of coffee without a microwave? I swear I rehead the same cup of coffee two or three times.
I love them for re-heating coffee. If there were one reason to keep a microwave, that might be it.

In our case, we just found we were using it a lot, were less and less sure of the wisdom of using them (and dh grew up with one, and we got our first one when I was 8).

I never used them to cook potatoes or sweet potatoes. I hate the taste and texture of almost anything cooked in a microwave (oatmeal being the only exception I can think of right now)....except for pre-packaged, "microwaveable meals". Without a microwave, there is absolutely no temptation to buy them. We didn't buy them very often, anyway - but now we never do.

Oh - and we have very limited counter space, so getting rid of the microwave was very helpful. We're probably going to put my bread maker there, instead.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#123 of 132 Old 04-11-2010, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by karika View Post
http://www.beyondhealth.com/site/art...wavedFoods.pdf

I eat organic and healthy and would not want to waste money by eliminating so much of the nutrition by microwaving it.
AFAIK, conventional methods are typically MORE damaging than microwaves to most micronutrients in food.

Bol Asoc Med P R. 1989 Jul;81(7):277-9.
Retention of nutrients in microwave-cooked foods., Klein BP.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2775405

Especially if you're boiling or baking instead, a lot of the good stuff leaches into the water or is destroyed by the extended heating time. Steaming is a little better in terms of nutrient preservation but I think microwaving still comes out slightly ahead.

Microwaves also offer a huge energy savings bc you don't have to waste energy heating all the air in the oven; you just heat the food directly.

That said, microwaved coffee??? Where are your taste buds mamas?! I find microwaving makes coffee undrinkable.

I love my microwave though. We mostly use it to reheat home-cooked food the next day so I don't have to deal with cooking on the days I WOH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karika
They take cows, get them pregnant, then take their babies away, screaming for their mother as their mother screams for them, usually on the day of birth.
That is so horrible. It's incentive to rethink our milk usage. Thanks for the kick in the pants.

The GMO thing though, I cringe whenever I hear about 'GMO food' like it's all the same thing. GMO foods can be good or ill like any other technology. It depends what gene you are inserting and how the resulting hybrid organism interacts with its environment. Obviously if you put a pesticidal protein in your food like the links you posted, a little testing is probably in order before widespread use. But there's no way we can feed the world on traditional agricultural techniques alone so unless you prefer chemical-laden big agribusiness or global starvation I think GMO (carefully researched and regulated) is our only other option going forward.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#124 of 132 Old 04-11-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambera View Post
That said, microwaved coffee??? Where are your taste buds mamas?! I find microwaving makes coffee undrinkable.
I love my microwave though. We mostly use it to reheat home-cooked food the next day so I don't have to deal with cooking on the days I WOH.
Yup. I'd be sunk without reheating food I cooked on Sunday.
Clearly I'm a coffee PHILISTINE, though! I'm afraid these days it's more about getting and staying awake than the love of the bean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
I love them for re-heating coffee. If there were one reason to keep a microwave, that might be it.
I get you now. It's true, too, that the SP texture isn't as good in the microwave. And thanks for backing me on the microwaved coffee

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#125 of 132 Old 04-11-2010, 06:47 PM

I just thought about this thread last night. For dinner, we had: homemade butternut squash soup (made with white beans, miso, and watercress), along with brown rice bread, and organic apple slices. Then dh and I were still hungry after dd went to bed...

...so he went out and got us a couple of slices of pepperoni pizza.
#126 of 132 Old 04-11-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCVeg View Post
I just thought about this thread last night. For dinner, we had: homemade butternut squash soup (made with white beans, miso, and watercress), along with brown rice bread, and organic apple slices. Then dh and I were still hungry after dd went to bed...

This sounds so familiar.
#127 of 132 Old 04-11-2010, 08:47 PM

My ds has to eat healthy b/c of tones of allergies.

If he didnt have them, I'd be ok with a treat once in a while at a b-day party or whatever. But with his issues its something like 'you can have a handfull or organic non-food coloring jellybeans for easter' I cant afford to buy him the non-allergy 'junk' food so its cheeper/easier to just feed him healthy stuff instead!

Also, we are vegetarian so that elminates even more junk options right there.
#128 of 132 Old 04-11-2010, 09:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan73 View Post
Yeah, I don't get what's so bad about a microwave, either. It saves SO much energy to cook a sweet potato in the microwave instead of the oven. That's also how I reheat much of my big-batch Sunday cooking over the week.
And anyway, HOW would a parent get a hot cup of coffee without a microwave? I swear I rehead the same cup of coffee two or three times.
I certainly wouldn't say a microwave is bad for anyone else. For my family it was more a matter of an easy way to make a snack that wasn't really all that healthy (think microwave popcorn etc...). By getting rid of it my DH and I must actually think about what we want to eat and if we are really hungry and ready to put the effort into making something or just grabbing a piece of cheese or something like that.

As far as coffee goes I can't say I understand that having never ever had a cup in my life

Each to his own, I was just commenting on how not having one has helped us improve how we eat and what we eat...As a SAHM I feel really lucky that I have the time (most days) to make stuff from scratch and bake during the day. My mom was a single mother and I certainly know that when you are working a lot of hours just to provide for your family, sometimes there isn't time to make meals and just about anything else!
#129 of 132 Old 04-12-2010, 04:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCVeg View Post

hee hee. sounds very familiar!
#130 of 132 Old 04-12-2010, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
"But there's no way we can feed the world on traditional agricultural techniques alone so unless you prefer chemical-laden big agribusiness or global starvation I think GMO (carefully researched and regulated) is our only other option going forward."

I really believe this is a false dichotomy. Traditional agricultural techniques fed the world for a loooooong time, and global starvation has remained a significant problem even with the double-pronged "solution" of agribusiness and genetic tinkering.

Our best option going forward, IMO, is to stop geometrically increasing the expense and fuel consumption of making food by processing the heck out of it. Our planet probably can't actually support 10 billion people eating Doritos and drinking Coke, even with maximum GMO and agribusiness "efficiency." 10 billion people eating the grains, veggies and fruits that grow in their regions, along with a modest intake of animal protein from the animals that live wild or can be raised on pasture there? That could probably work. It certainly worked in poor and population-dense regions as China, before they glommed onto to our megaprocessed unsustainable Western diet and started wrecking their land with factory farms.

I don't think GMO is inherently evil. I don't think that kind of research should be outlawed or anything. But I don't care to be forced to eat it myself, and I sure as heck do not like it when rich nations coerce poor, hungry nations into supplanting their traditional crops with GMO by handing out with "gifts" like Monsanto's golden rice seed, instead of offering the help that may be needed to improve agricultural production in a sustainable way that maintains the balance of the traditional diet. Sometimes it seems like we are not going to be happy until EVERYBODY has made the nutrition transition and is struggling with obesity and diabetes.

So... as you have probably gleaned from my rant above, my worries about food are more big-picture, and my focus with my family to is to try and reduce the intake of uberprocessed foods we consume, because at the end of the day the degree of processing I'm totally comfortable with is basically milled-into-flour, made-into-pasta, made-into-chocolate, made-into-cheese, etc. Stuff that's probably not even more energy-efficient to do on an individual level.

We eat a lot of stuff that doesn't meet this criteria, obviously, but that's the value that guides my shopping, and when I look for places to make changes in our food lifestyle, I usually attempt to add another go-to meal to our rotation that didn't suck up a really piggish amount of energy to get onto our plates. As it so happens, this outlook sort of naturally leads to a grocery list with no HFCS-containing or dyed or factory farmed products on it.
#131 of 132 Old 04-12-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karika View Post
I haven't read the whole thread because this is a train wreck waiting to happen, lol... but here is my take on things. I am like one of the mothers the OP wrote about. We do not eat out, I take food everywhere, and we do not ingest dairy or gluten. i am currently working on removing the last of soy and I strongly avoid corn (since it is all now GMO or GMO compromised, same with soy). Once you begin to view a substance as a toxin, everything changes. As background, I drank soda constantly, ate fast food daily, worked in a pizza place... so I have not always been this 'weird' (according to most of the posts I did read) person. Did anyone see Jamie Oliver's food show where he showed the kids what is in a nugget? Why would a person want to eat that or give it to a child? Also, the meat in the burgers is not 100% meat even. It is skin, bone pieces, entrails, all the bits not sold as use for meat (just like the chicken bits in jamie's experiment). After they chop it all up, they soak it in ammonia. That is that familiar taste and smell I could never put my finger on when I worked in a McD. (also, what goes on behind the scenes at fast food and sit down restaurants, is appalling) Here is a link to the NY Times article that exposed this truth to the world. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/31/us...2&pagewanted=1 Now about why we choose to eat GFCFSFCF.... I do it for mostly (for lack of a better word) moral reasons. Dairy is an easy one for me. They take cows, get them pregnant, then take their babies away, screaming for their mother as their mother screams for them, usually on the day of birth. I think it is a horrible practice and I refuse to be any part of it. Even organic milk is produced this way. Back in the old days, it used to be someone near you had a cow and after it calved, they would milk it after the calf had its fill. Now the calves are taken away immediately, and either left to die or slaughtered for the veal trade. Very few are allowed to live, and the ones that do are to replace the adults that are already in the system. The adults are killed when only through half their life cycle, because production goes down after that. Since we are all attachment parents, looking at cow's milk in this way should be a life changing thought. I do not want to be any part of creating such a horrible aching and unhappiness for any living creature. If you have your own cow and respect it, or get milk from a family that does, and it is grass fed and the milk is raw, letting the baby feed first, then that is completely different. On to the next subject. Why should the animals be fed grass? Because in the US and other countries ALL of the animal feed is GMO. GMO is beginning to debilitate the food cycle already. When we vote with our dollars buy not buying less than healthy foods, we change the system. Chickens fed GMO corn knew it, they would not eat it- http://current.com/news/90598094_afr...ified-corn.htm GMO has been shown to cause organ failure in many studies, a few very recently. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0...95.html?fbwall These GMO crops are in all the candies on the shelves in America and some in other countries also. All the HFCS is GMO, all cereals contain GMO grains, unless they are organic. Hershey's contains GMO ingredients now. When I was a kid, junk food was still just bad because of the sugar, but now it is so much more. Now we get to food colorings. The food colorings which are being used so widespread today are so dangerous, there is a group of medical professionals trying for years to get them banned. There are safer alternatives that can be gotten just as cheaply. http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/109838.php People go around saying children act the way they do because they are children... and most of the time it is something they ingested... we are what we eat. I am sure I could write more, but I read the OP and I could have said the same things 5 years ago. Then I learned more. There is a reason not to give GMO foods and dyes and cow's milk (and gluten and soy, but that is another post I am sure). It is not optimal for humans to consume these things. They are toxins (in my and many others opinion and much is documented as such in medical and scientific studies). My children still eat sweets, I have not quit using sugar (yet). I use organic, fair trade cane sugar in my baked goods which I make weekly and freeze some. dd1 still enjoys candy, just not with toxic ingredients ( http://www.naturalcandystore.com ) I don't shop from there personally, but those are the brands I buy at the natural store when I go. I have a way of being blunt, and sure hope this post is taken the way I mean it, to shed light on why those of us that do as the OP said, do what we do, not to pass judgment an anyone else, just to explain why we are zealous. I do it because the food in mainstream America is the same as poison *to me*. I ate it for most of my life too though.
:Puke

Anybody ever watch King Corn? It's an instant play on netflix.

I always try not to remember this stuff, but it really is awful. And just can't be good for us. Sigh...but once you know you know, and that's why we make our choices carefully. Yeah, we eat junk sometimes, as I mentioned already, but...it isn't what's in our cabinets on a regular basis.

That stuff isn't food. You know, we eat it in a "we stayed up all night and got a horrible sunburn today." Stupid, yes. Not good for us, yes. But, you gotta die sometime, and a little living is okay.

So, I teach my kids that it isn't food, and we talk a lot about stuff, but we make bad choices about other stuff in the name of fun/socialization/convience, and we do in the realm of junk food, too.

I also agree that junk food is not faster than healthy food. It used to be hard for me to feed my kids stuff I had around the house because it felt like it wasn't balanced or whatever. So, I'd get into the trap of getting a "meal" somewhere. One day it finally clicked: 2 scrambled eggs and a slice of cheese with a handful of grapes is WAY better than anything I could buy at a restuarant. And it doesn't take any time at all. Quick eating from limited healthy choice is a far cry better than quick eating from unhealthy choices. .

My kids had Burger King for lunch today. We were out with a friend. But, I brought cheese, and apples, and grapes, and almonds. The line was long, and they ate those while they waited for their food. They got a lot of good stuff in and ate less of the bad, and I had three excuses that made it not weird. (Ds can't have wheat...I have to bring something for him, Dd2 is too litle to eat enough to be full there...so I had to have something for her, too, and all three of them were so hungry from playing at the ocean all morning that something RIGHT NOW was in order.) So, we had junk in the name of socialization, we weren't overly weird, and my kids still mostly ate the good stuff for lunch.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#132 of 132 Old 04-12-2010, 03:25 PM

I'm totally with you. We eat healthier than most Americans, but we also like treats and the occasional junk. My 2 year old loves hot dogs and gets 1 or 2 a week. She gets crackers and things like that. We gave her Easter candy and she loves jelly beans. She's also known to beg for kale smoothies, mushrooms and avocados. It really is all about moderation. I also think with a girl that being too strict and obsessive about food (and labeling some foods "bad" rather than "sometimes") has the potential to set them up for some major eating issues and possible disorders later in life. Moderation's the key baby!

Healthcare is a human right!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page