Does this happen at your library? Would you be okay with it? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 94 Old 04-22-2010, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by momo7 View Post
***SIGH*** THAT is not what I am talking about at all...I am not talking about same sex families, I am not talking about censorship. I gave examples of what people might consider as "good judgement" or (insert your own whatever word you want to use to take the place of things you do in public and things you don't do in public here) in a previous post. I also used different ways to phrase it such as "common sense". Just basic. common. sense.

I guess it comes down to this: Do what ever you want to do, when ever you want to do it, wherever you want to do it. Because all that REALLY matters is that you actually GET to do whatever you want to do, wherever you want to do it, whenever you want to do it. It doesn't matter who sees it, who might see it or who it scares the SH*& out of it. They can always leave. I get it now. Finally.
I mention same sex marriage because it affect my family directly and because people use "common sense" and "good judgement" to say that not it is not appropriate for anyone under 18.

We can't legistate common sense. Nor should we try because we have to figure out which person/groups common sense we have to use. Same with good judgment.

You can't say that we aren't allowed to do anything in public that might upset/scare/offend someone. We would never be allowed to do anything in public. A vegan might be upset at seeing someone buy a big a$$ (yeah I can cuss too) steak for themselves. Do we prevent all people from purchasing meat in a public place? Um, no... A conservative Christian might be upset seeing a same sex couple holding hands on the beach. Do we prevent same sex couples from going out in public because someone might get offended? I sure and heck hope not. I've been offended by street corner Evangelists telling me what I need to believe. Do we confine all Evangelists to their home? Annoying as they may be at times, I would hope to God we don't end up there. A parent gets offended seeing a Marylin Manson video in a public library. Do I want to see music censorship in the library or general public realm? Hell no, particularly since I have been on the other side of it. I had the odd person try and censor the music my band played when I was in high school because they couldn't handle not going to that one club on that one night and the music offended them.

I have the right to get up and leave a place if I feel there is something inappropriate for myself or my family there. I do not have the right insist that all other people in the area conform to my idea of what is appropriate so that I don't get offended.

Maybe you don't see the full extent of what you are saying, maybe you don't have never been subjected to the full extent of what you're saying. I don't know, what I do know is that neither you nor anyone else has the right to dictate what is proper, or good judgment, or common sense for me and my family.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#92 of 94 Old 04-22-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
I mention same sex marriage because it affect my family directly and because people use "common sense" and "good judgement" to say that not it is not appropriate for anyone under 18.

We can't legistate common sense. Nor should we try because we have to figure out which person/groups common sense we have to use. Same with good judgment.

You can't say that we aren't allowed to do anything in public that might upset/scare/offend someone. We would never be allowed to do anything in public. A vegan might be upset at seeing someone buy a big a$$ (yeah I can cuss too) steak for themselves. Do we prevent all people from purchasing meat in a public place? Um, no... A conservative Christian might be upset seeing a same sex couple holding hands on the beach. Do we prevent same sex couples from going out in public because someone might get offended? I sure and heck hope not. I've been offended by street corner Evangelists telling me what I need to believe. Do we confine all Evangelists to their home? Annoying as they may be at times, I would hope to God we don't end up there. A parent gets offended seeing a Marylin Manson video in a public library. Do I want to see music censorship in the library or general public realm? Hell no, particularly since I have been on the other side of it. I had the odd person try and censor the music my band played when I was in high school because they couldn't handle not going to that one club on that one night and the music offended them.

I have the right to get up and leave a place if I feel there is something inappropriate for myself or my family there. I do not have the right insist that all other people in the area conform to my idea of what is appropriate so that I don't get offended.

Maybe you don't see the full extent of what you are saying, maybe you don't have never been subjected to the full extent of what you're saying. I don't know, what I do know is that neither you nor anyone else has the right to dictate what is proper, or good judgment, or common sense for me and my family.
Nicely put.
#93 of 94 Old 04-22-2010, 10:28 PM

From reading this thread, it sounds like my library is breaking a lot of rules I posted already about the huge list of what you can not look at on their computers. And it seems to be standard at them all except for the University library. I wonder why they are able to get away with that?

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#94 of 94 Old 04-23-2010, 08:46 PM

OP: Is there a reason you didn't point out to the teen that there were little kids around and ask if maybe they could watch that some other time?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page