I underestimated the power of the Force! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-21-2010, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I will admit to having an obsession with Star wars when it pretty much came out! That was 77, so I caught on to it when they came out with #3 (Or 6 rather) in 83. I was 3 then, and more obsessed then most children my age. I had action figures, and even a model of the garbage compacter from Epi 1 er 4. I was also a princess who loved to wear pink frilly dresses, but play in the mud and sand boxes. Yea, I was....different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2010, 01:33 AM

we have a Jedi in the making here too. My almost 4 year old is crazy for star wars, though has never seen the movies. He asks my sister and dad alot of questions though and has memorized the star wars section of the lego catolog.

My sister bought him a book, for his birthday, that is going to send him through the roof though...

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Star-Wars.../dp/0756655293

I am sick with excitement for him to get it in two weeks!
Old 05-03-2010, 11:05 AM

Um, most definitely here!!! DS lives, eats, breathes Star Wars. He is often in lala land acting out a lightsaber duel or starship battle. He was a clone trooper for Halloween last year, and I think wants to be Darth Vader this year. We use it to our advantage and buy those early readers with Star Wars themes to help him practice his reading.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:55 AM

Ah yes, the Force was quite strong in this house for many years. We had it all, and still have quite a bit of SW stuff around here. 10yo old ds still plays with the legos and vid games. He was Anakin for Halloween one year...he had grown a long tail while the rest of hs hair was short which we braided, and made a cool Jedi outfit out of an old karate uniform. We made tons of lightsabers out of broomsticks...just painted them different colors and wrapped up the ends in duct tape. They loved 'em!

I can't even remember how old they all were when they first saw SW, I'm sure younger with each successive kid. It's not on so much anymore....dd (age 6) is not really into it, but the boys are definitely sentimental about it.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:40 PM

Oh, ToysRUs (yes, evil store, I know) just finished a big Star Wars sale yesterday!

DS is majorly into Star Wars these days. I don't know that making him our Padawan would work - probably got that idea too late. But I wanted to confirm the ability to extend Star Wars into many other areas of life. For example:

LOTS of Star Wars reading. You can find many many Star Wars books at basically any ability level. DS will look at those visual dictionaries for as long as we will let him.

Star Wars writing: DS is making a Star Wars journal in which he creates the characters and ships for episode 7. I think he figured that since Lucas wasn't doing it, he'd better take over, LOL.

Star Wars theme on the violin. DS struggles to find joy in playing his violin, but loves to play the Star Wars theme.

Endless light saber battles on the playground=very active play.

As many Lego Star Wars sets as we are willing to give him. He will also work very hard to earn a new set. I see this as win-win because Lego is super fun, but I'm sure it's also good for his brain.

The grown-ups sometimes get a little tired of Star Wars around here, but mostly this is a pretty fun phase.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:07 PM

I'm married to a Star Wars fan. Star Wars practically defined his childhood.

Our daughter is named after a character. (Which is ok with me; in fact it was originally my idea, DH of course LOVED it and kept checking for months to make sure I was really serious that it was ok).

She's 4 and has seen all of them except Episode III. No problems for her, she is not at all afraid of that stuff. I'm not proud of this or anything, it just is the truth. I don't think she really understands that there are actually truly scary things in the world yet, and I'm happy about that at least.

DH remembers begging his mother to take him to see Star Wars as a kid, and she said no, and no, and no, and finally told him ok. So she took him to see... the Muppets. DH was extremely upset, he flipped OUT and finally she took him to see the real Star Wars He vividly remembers the first time he saw Darth Vadar on the screen, he was so excited he was jumping up and down.

I'm not anti-Star Wars but not really a sci-fi fan. And I like Star Trek better anyway. I love the social commentary.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:18 PM

My DH is a big fan. I like it too, but not as much as he does. We did spell our daughter's name Leia
DH can't wait to show the movie to the kids, but I convinced him to wait till they are at least 5yo before starting the SW craze.

Mom of DS (07/2006) and DD (01/2008)
Old 05-04-2010, 03:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
We did spell our daughter's name Leia
Neat! I'm seriously considering Leia for the middle name of a future daughter. Might've done it for my current daughter, but I had to get a family name out of the way first. If she'd been a boy she might have been called Luke, and that might have been Star Wars-related too.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Haven't read the thread, but given today's date......

MAY THE FOURTH BE WITH YOU!!!

DD got me with that one this morning . Happy Star Wars Day everyone.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:05 PM

DS age 7 LOVES Star Wars! He's seen all the movies and Lego Star Wars is huge with us too! So fun to see he and his neighborhood friend playing with their light sabers and acting out different themes!

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
Old 05-04-2010, 01:20 PM

Another book recommendation for all of the Star Wars fans - my son got this book for his birthday, and it is amazing: http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Pop-...2986483&sr=8-1. There is even a pop-up light saber battle between Darth and Luke with lightsabers that really light up. The kids seem to love the model of Mos Eisley the best, though. Very cool!
Old 05-04-2010, 03:18 PM

I just have to say "May the 4th be with you"

Lauren- geek.gif Hippie belly.gif wife to  S Mum to : babyf.gif D 11/09 and due end of August!

lactivist.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gifhomebirth.jpgsaynovax.gif

User Tag List