I underestimated the power of the Force! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 42 Old 04-19-2010, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Actually, I didn't even know what the "Force" was until my ds became Star Wars crazy! It is insane how completely infatuated this child is with Star Wars. At first I thought it was because we went from no media, to low media, to, well, Star Wars as often as possible, lol. But there's something here that is really capturing my boy.

Anyone else have a big star wars fan in the house?
#2 of 42 Old 04-19-2010, 11:05 PM

I'd have to say - three.

But yes, my son is the biggest fan in the house. Which is a bit funny 'cause he's never really seen much of the live action films (he has seen some of the Clone Wars TV show, which I am still not entirely thrilled about but - he and his dad love them.)

I think the Star Wars mythology is pretty universal at its core - knights + bad guys + wicked special effects! I also remember when I first saw the first Star Wars in yes, '77, and it totally captivated me. The concept of the Force and Jedi Knights sustained my little wee self in a lot of ways. I have a lot of fondness for it.

When I rewatched the first film (A New Hope that is, not the new trilogy) recently to screen it for my son I was surprised at some of the things that I find violent for him - and which I loved myself.

My son and I play lightsabers/swords a lot, but we always end it with a hug.

P.S. Jedi knights make their beds, clean up their toys, and help clear the dinner plates; it is an essential part of any young padawan's training. Pass it on to all the other moms!

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
#3 of 42 Old 04-19-2010, 11:26 PM

My husband has...um...exposed our sons to Stars Wars. HE LOVES IT, and so does our 5yr old. They often play together actually. Our 2 year old is still really into trucks but I expect at one point they will all play together.

I grew up 'Star Trek' but I appreciate the mythology of the 'wars', although the violence gets rather tedious. I do put my foot down and will not allow any non-starwars toy items around, except a lunch box. I don't want to have any Star Wars sheets, shoes, food, etc, but I have allowed SW underwear and winter hat.

Anyway, good luck with that. Where did your son pick it up?
#4 of 42 Old 04-19-2010, 11:46 PM
Fay

My brothers and I were huge Star Wars fans in the 70s & 80s. If your kids are padawans, then you get to be the Jedi Master. Make it work for you....after all, Luke had to do all kinds of crazy stuff for Yoda as part of his training!

"Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?" - Andy Warhol
#5 of 42 Old 04-19-2010, 11:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My boys are obsessed and it's driving me crazy. I could get used to the idea of being Jedi Master though...

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#6 of 42 Old 04-19-2010, 11:55 PM

OBSESSED. It is all we talk about. Luckily I'm a big fan as well, so his interest is easy for me to live with most of the time. I got him this sticker book a couple of months ago and he loves it. It kept him busy for a while, matching the stickers up to the spots where they belong. Now he pages through it daily, asking me to tell him the names of characters and memorizing them. Star Wars is his first official obsession.
#7 of 42 Old 04-20-2010, 01:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We had the Star Wars theme song at our wedding, so... yeah. (To be fair, it was going to be the First Contact theme but we couldn't edit it to a punchy enough beginning for the recesional. So we're not diehard, exclusive fans. Just fans.)

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#8 of 42 Old 04-20-2010, 08:55 AM

Not momma yet, but momma to a ton of furry, scaly, slimy and feathery critters. whale.gifribbongreen.gif
#9 of 42 Old 04-20-2010, 10:52 AM

I have two Star Wars obsessed little boys here, too. I have to say, there are few things cuter than a three year old who likes to quote Yoda. I love the Jedi Master idea - kicking myself for not thinking of that!

As for the commercial aspect of it - we're fully immersed in it, I'm afraid. The boys both have clothes, toys, legos, sheets (vintage early 80's, courtesy of my MIL who somehow managed to both use them for her boys and keep them in pristine condition), vintage trading cards (thanks to an adoring uncle with no kids of his own), WII games, movies. We've purchased very little of it ourselves - once people know you have a Star Wars fan, it all comes pouring in. Every once in awhile I feel grumbly about all the money we've earned for Mr. Lucas, but mostly I'm impressed with how creative the boys get when you put a light saber in their hands.
#10 of 42 Old 04-20-2010, 10:55 AM

Nicholas, my extremely spirited child, told me stepmother she looked like Yoda's grandmother, only older and taller.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#11 of 42 Old 04-20-2010, 02:05 PM

So what do you all think the youngest age for SW is? My almost-5 y/o has been asking to watch SW since he was 3, and I keep putting him off. The Great Mouse Detective has scary parts as far as he's concerned, y/k?
#12 of 42 Old 04-20-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Nicholas, my extremely spirited child, told me stepmother she looked like Yoda's grandmother, only older and taller.
Love that he threw "older" in there since Yoda's grandmother would be well into her thousands! Is she greener too?

We have some devotees around here. DP saw the first one (#4) when he was right around two and his Auntie has the scars to proove it (apparently Darth Vader scared him enough that he LATCHED onto her neck with his fingernails). DD was 5 months old when #1 came out and we actually camped to get tickets. Well, I actually took DD home in the middle of the night to get some decent sleep. She was on TV as the youngest "fan" in line.

I'm not a Star Wars fan, but I have used it to point out what I consider a very valuable lesson--- when people say they want things "fair", they usually want them to go their way. All the Jedi's were looking for Anaken to bring balance to the force--- BUT THEY WERE THE LUCKY ONES AT THE TIME. Balance could only bring them down. When my kids talk about something not being "fair" I mention that if things were fair, they would live in a 400 square foot shack without runninng water or electricity--- because that would be "fair" if everyone had that.

Now that I've hashed that out, if you've never seen this but are a Star Wars Fan (and not easilly offended) you might enjoy it:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_428070.html

Further into the video someone writes in who is clearly describing their "conversion" by Obi Wan:

Quote:
My inspiration in life is a man I met in Nigeria called Ben Kenobi. He taught be so much about the Force that spirituality has; it can be used for good and it can be used for bad.
Between the multiple hits of Fresh Prince Fans & the RickRolling I never know whether to laugh or cry at this.

#13 of 42 Old 04-20-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbymom05 View Post
So what do you all think the youngest age for SW is? My almost-5 y/o has been asking to watch SW since he was 3, and I keep putting him off. The Great Mouse Detective has scary parts as far as he's concerned, y/k?
It's really up to the individual child and their desire to see the movie, IMO.

We have a friend who so wanted to see Harry Potter that she handled it fine, though the only other movie she could reliably watch at that time was My Neighbor Tortoro Like no Disney movies because they were too scary.

If you are willing to skip parts, I think the first three (#4, 5, 6) can be definately watched in parts by a fairly young child. My kids are 8 & 11 and haven't seen The Matrix yet, but we showed them *parts* of it years ago, kwim, when they were interested.

#14 of 42 Old 04-20-2010, 03:10 PM

i have a star wars fanatic here as well. the force is strong with this one LOL

heartbeat.gif

#15 of 42 Old 04-20-2010, 03:13 PM

Oh yes, light sabers and all.

When my younger son was a baby, 5ish months, I dressed him up as Yoda for Halloween. My then 4 year old was Darth Vader. It was awesome.
#16 of 42 Old 04-20-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
I think it really depends on the child, but my son was soooo into the TV Clone Wars that my husband and I got talked into screening SW: A New Hope (on the small screen) when he was just over 4.

It didn't go too well - for my kid animation is apparently safer than real people/actors fighting. We've shelved it for a few more years. It was a good lesson in following our instincts in the face of pleas.

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
#17 of 42 Old 04-20-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
DS has seen them all, and just turned 4. The bizarre thing is that almost every other movie in our collection is "scary" according to him, but SW does not even phase him. Disney movies? Too scary. Darth Maul? Bring him on.

My brother is getting married on Halloween, and the reception is a masquerade ball, so DS insists that our family will be going as Star Wars. My little guy will be Yoda, of course. I'll be Leia, DH will be Han Solo, and DS wants to be Luke. The version of Luke that he wants to be changes daily though.

One night in the bathtub he informed me that he was turning to the Dark Side. Then he followed that statement up by pushing his brother.
#18 of 42 Old 04-20-2010, 04:07 PM

My three-year-old LOVES Star Wars and does "jedi rolls" instead of somersaults. It started when we found a really cute Yoda costume last Halloween when he was about 2.5, so we showed him the movies (with some fast forwarding over some sceans) and he was in love. There was a period where he'd watch one SW movie a day, all he wanted to watch was SW. After a couple months of letting him do that, he's not watched it for at least 8wks. He has a SW ship and Obi-Wan Kenobi action figure and he plays with them daily (he loves little figurines.)

Mama of three.

#19 of 42 Old 04-20-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
We had the Star Wars theme song at our wedding, so... yeah. (To be fair, it was going to be the First Contact theme but we couldn't edit it to a punchy enough beginning for the recesional. So we're not diehard, exclusive fans. Just fans.)
We did too!!

We love Star Wars here. The books (adult and kids), the action figures, the video games, the movies, the trivia. It's fun!
#20 of 42 Old 04-20-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits & Gravy View Post
DS has seen them all, and just turned 4. The bizarre thing is that almost every other movie in our collection is "scary" according to him, but SW does not even phase him. Disney movies? Too scary. Darth Maul? Bring him on.
Same here! My boys won't watch 'Finding Nemo' cause it is too scary, but they both watched the original trilogy at age 3 and were fine with it. They even grumbled when I fast-forwarded through scenes I thought were too scary.
#21 of 42 Old 04-20-2010, 05:50 PM

Love it! My 4 year old listens to the star wars soundtrack while building lego starships, starships out of eggcartonss (his idea) and manning them with playmobile characters! much to be learned from the force, indeed!
#22 of 42 Old 04-20-2010, 07:35 PM

DS2 first saw Star Wars (the original trilogy) at about 2, I think...

I'm a fan - the DVDs we own are actually mine. DH, ds1, dd1 and ds2 all thoroughly enjoy the movies, as well. I'm not sure who ranks highest on the "major Star Wars fan" list. The violence doesn't bother any of us - not even me, and I'm the biggest wuss in the family about that kind of thing.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#23 of 42 Old 04-20-2010, 09:17 PM

It's so funny you posted this, my ds has become completely obsessed with Star Wars in the past month. I think other kids at preschool started it, because we'd never seen the movies or Clone Wars show at home. My ds is obsessed with the Lego Star Wars sets, he just got 2 for his birthday yesterday. Usually when ds gets interested in something, he gets really really really into it for a month or two, then moves on. I'm still not quite ready to show him the movies. We'll see. There are some cool Lego Star Wars video games on the Lego website, fwiw.

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

#24 of 42 Old 04-20-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicaG View Post
It's so funny you posted this, my ds has become completely obsessed with Star Wars in the past month. I think other kids at preschool started it, because we'd never seen the movies or Clone Wars show at home. My ds is obsessed with the Lego Star Wars sets, he just got 2 for his birthday yesterday. Usually when ds gets interested in something, he gets really really really into it for a month or two, then moves on. I'm still not quite ready to show him the movies. We'll see. There are some cool Lego Star Wars video games on the Lego website, fwiw.
DS has been begging me for those Legos ever since he realized they exist. He just likes to stand in that aisle at Target and stare at each box. He'd do that for an hour if I let him. We are keeping it to the little Galactic Heroes guys for now. I like that they are small enough to not take up a ton of space, but still relatively safe for the toddler to get his hands on.

After reading this thread I introduced the idea of DH and I being Jedi Masters, and DS being a Padawan tonight. OMG, he ate it up! Brilliant!
#25 of 42 Old 04-20-2010, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

This is great! It's really fun to hear everyone's stories, and frankly, I'm a bit clueless about Star Wars, so I hadn't expected this to resonate with so many folks!

Someone asked how ds got interested, and I can't remember, for the life of me. But it's interesting about the violence. Neither of my kids likes violence or tension of any sort in the movies. Yet, last night, DS calmly told me "Here's the part where Luke's hand gets cut off, Mom". Cool as can be. I almost dropped.

We are all about finding a Millennium Falcon (did I say that right?) toy now. Any ideas???
#26 of 42 Old 04-20-2010, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
The violence doesn't bother any of us - not even me, and I'm the biggest wuss in the family about that kind of thing.
Yeah, Star Wars violence is pretty cartoony. Do you ever see any blood at all? (I'm talking about the original trilogy - Revenge of the Sith features a triple amputation...) Laser bolts shot by stormtroopers aren't likely to scar a child for life. (ETA: Oh yeah, Luke's hand. But there was no blood shown, was there? No gore - his arm just mysteriously grew six inches longer. Oh, and the Wampa attack... OK, there may have been some blood.)

I'm of two minds about introducing Star Wars to DD. Technically she's already seen it, but without paying much attention (she's just turned two). Thanks to gross parental negligence I never saw it until I discovered it on my own at the age of 15. And it was an awesome experience. So... should I just let it seep into her consciousness by repeated viewing from a tender age, or save it up until she can remember that first time? I have very fond memories of my first viewings of certain films - The Fellowship of the Ring (midnight screening at the movies - ah, chlls down my spine!), The Matrix (blew my tiny mind, at the time...), The Princess Bride... but then, there are films I've watched since infancy, like Milo and Otis and various cheesy old musicals, and that's cool too.

Such are the philosophical conundrums that plague my parenthood. It's no wonder I'm nervous about having a second child - what if he/she saw Star Wars three years younger than DD and thus threw the whole cycle out of whack?

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#27 of 42 Old 04-21-2010, 12:01 AM

My 9yo ds has loved Star Wars for years.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#28 of 42 Old 04-21-2010, 12:05 AM

This thread makes me feel so much better. My 11 got hooked, the 6 got sucked in, and now even the 3 can turn pretty much anything into a light saber.

#29 of 42 Old 04-21-2010, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Such are the philosophical conundrums that plague my parenthood. It's no wonder I'm nervous about having a second child - what if he/she saw Star Wars three years younger than DD and thus threw the whole cycle out of whack?
Too funny (in a highly philosophical way).
#30 of 42 Old 04-21-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen'nZoe View Post
Same here! My boys won't watch 'Finding Nemo' cause it is too scary, but they both watched the original trilogy at age 3 and were fine with it. They even grumbled when I fast-forwarded through scenes I thought were too scary.
UP TERRIFIED my son! Like, screaming, shaking, hiding his face. We turned it off immediately and this is a kid who DOES NOT get scared easily. Star Wars was nothing. He has been able to watch every movie we've let him except UP.

Mama of three.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page