My junk food issues - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 91 Old 05-10-2010, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geist View Post
Please, don't think I was talking specifically about you, I don't know you and didn't mean you or anyone specifically.. There's no way I can peer into your house and know your family's habits or how well they do or do not work for you. What I can see are the habits of the people I know: my family, my friends, in the US and abroad. And what I see is that Americans all snack more than the Germans I know, the Ukrainians I know and the Finns I know, who tend to eat more square meals. To make matters worse, the vast majority of snacking involves junk food: overly processed crap.
I didn't think you meant me, in particular. I just mean that it's been documented that most Americans (Canadians, too) are sleep deprived. It's not just me. People are running on empty, and trying to keep going at a ridiculous pace. It's not about whether they/we WOH, or not - it's about the overall pace.

Quote:
Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal. I also know a few people who do graze all day without being overweight, but they are the exceptions rather than the rule. Read this: Why Are Americans So Obese?
The pertinent points are that 90 percent of the increase in calorie consumption in men in the United States since 1977 has come from between-meal eating. For women, it's 112 percent and that calories from meals have actually gone down. Additionally, "The average number of snacks increased by 60% over this period, thus more snacks per day -- rather than more calories per snack -- account for the majority of the increase in the calories from snacks."
In otherwords, permasnacking!
Sure, studies have been done that show that people who eat 6 small meals a day have a faster metabolism and lose more weight than people who don't, but this is under controlled laboratory conditions. None of us actually live in laboratories and those of us who are grazers and not overweight can happily pat themselves on the back because the are exceptions to the rule.

Now regarding other countries: Snacking and Obesity in China
And a very interesting article regarding the US:
OUr National Eating Disorder
How many grazers who are eating real food have this problem? My guess is that it's not very many. People who are snacking on crap between meals are suffering blood sugar spikes and crashes, and messing up their hormones, so that they don't feel satisfied. (I can never remember the name of the satiety hormone, but it is affected by a crappy diet.) It's really not because they're snacking or grazing - it's because of what they're snacking on. If people are eating a snack that pretty much guarantees they'll be hungry again (because their blood sugar has crashed and they ate not fats/protein), then they'll snack again in an hour, instead of in 2 or 3...but the type of snack is the root problem.

I have serious problems with sugar addiction. My bff used to try to eat "low fat", and messed herself up badly. We're both grazers...and we both eat fewer snacks when we're not stuffing ourselves with crap. It's not because we count calories or keep track that much better. It's because snack number one doesn't leave us craving snack number two 45-60 minutes after we eat it.

There's also the "mindless snacking" problem. There's a huge difference, ime, between sitting down at the table with a handful of nuts and an apple, and standing at the pantry doors, eating potato chips/cookies out of the bag. (I do both, sadly.) I'll remember sitting down and eating the apple and nuts...the chips or cookies will pass out of memory as soon as I'm done.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page