My junk food issues - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 91 Old 05-04-2010, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not a crunchy organic eater by any stretch. We don't drink soda or eat many processed foods, but my kids eat candy on holidays, homemade desserts, the free cookie they give you at the supermarket. So I think I"m pretty "mainstream" as far as it goes, but now that my DS is almost 5, I can't BELIEVE how pervasive junk food is!

He goes to preschool. They have a snack. Ok, they can't last 8am-12 w/o food, whatever, but it's chips--once it was "a yummy pop tart"--that's what the snack calendar said!--and "juice", which is something we rarely drink, and if we do, it's actually JUICE and not Capri Sun garbage. So I tell myself, well, it's 3x a week, he'll live, then we have T-ball--THEY have to have a snack--last week's was a "fruit" roll up and juice, both w/ artificial colors and corn syrup as one of the first 3 ingredients. Aghhhh!!!

What do you healthy eating mamas do? I don't mind *some* garbage, because I'm pretty pragmatic and hey, I like that free cookie! But I feel bombarded by all this sugary, carb-y JUNK and I know it's only going to get worse. At kindy round-up, the principal went out of his way to tell the kids about their cafe's selection of ice cream, chips and nacho. But he reassured the parents that they were guaranteed a daily hot meal--hamburger, hot dog or nachos.

I"m putting this here instead of healthy eating, b/c to me this is a parenting issue---do you stand your ground against our culture of horrible eating, and if so, how? I"m not talking about at home, that's easy, but in group settings like teams, schools, etc. Prior to now it's been easy to keep this stuff away from him--do you just have to give up at a certain age? I can live w/ that too, but I didn't expect the age to be 5!!!
#2 of 91 Old 05-04-2010, 05:34 PM

I'm having the same issue! Every where we go, if the snack isn't provided by me it is the sugary (as in high fructose corn syrup) juice and a cupcake or a donut or something like it.

DRIVES ME MAD!

I have NO solution!
#3 of 91 Old 05-04-2010, 06:26 PM

We don't run into this often yet but when we do we take fresh fruit for DD. She loves fruit and its still a sweet snack.

Probably will not work all the time but it may reduce the amount of junk.
#4 of 91 Old 05-04-2010, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine822 View Post
We don't run into this often yet but when we do we take fresh fruit for DD. She loves fruit and its still a sweet snack.

Probably will not work all the time but it may reduce the amount of junk.
May I ask how old your DD is? That strategy stopped working for us around 3. Like a birthday party--if I bring fresh fruit, DS isn't going to be happy if everyone eats red Costco frosting cake and he gets fresh strawberries. And the preschool--I guess I could drop off a bag of apples/oranges with him, but I'm not crazy about singling him out among the other kids, plus I worry that it'll just encourage him to sneak food and lie about it.

And there's the whole adult education thing (and now I"m venting, sorry!)--I specifically asked about snacks when I enrolled him in preschool and was assured they got "healthy" snacks. That apparently means if the bag of Fritos or Pop Tarts says "whole grains" or "no trans fats" it's healthy. I'm really not keen on explaining to an adult why a Pop Tart isn't a healthy snack for a 4 y/o. And if it's another parent (like at tee ball practice), then I run the risk of offending them, as I did last weekend. Some people take it as a comment on their parenting.

I only know of two people IRL who seem to avoid this. Their kids have never had fast food, never had food colorings or artificial flavors. But one just never takes her 3 y/o anywhere while the other does, but never leaves her kids alone (home schoolers) and brings Whole Foods with her wherever she goes. I don't have the money or energy!!!

Sorry for the vent.
#5 of 91 Old 05-04-2010, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaCrystal View Post
I'm having the same issue! Every where we go, if the snack isn't provided by me it is the sugary (as in high fructose corn syrup) juice and a cupcake or a donut or something like it.

DRIVES ME MAD!

I have NO solution!
Can I ask what you bring? After my tee ball snack of Froot Foot or whatever that disgusting plastic mess was called, I volunteered to bring the snacks. It was tough to find non-HFCS! I settled on Welch's juice boxes and Kashi cereal bars, which IMO is plenty junky w/ 9 grams of sugar. A kid complained! 4 y/o!! I guess it's lucky I didn't bring the oranges I wanted to, someone might have cried lol.

The crazy thing is I don't mind *a* doughnut, I love doughnuts. It's just every freaking event seems to be doughnut worthy.
#6 of 91 Old 05-04-2010, 08:11 PM

Homeschooling.

OK, I am joking. But not by much.

The junk food is not the reason we decided to homeschool, but it's one of the reasons we would never consider turning back. Just ONE of the many reasons. There are so many negative influences out there that are sanctioned by the school and other organizations....I would go stark raving MAD if my kid were exposed to what you described. And because, quite reasonably, you don't want to be a dictator-jerk of a parent and have a strict, outright ban....you let your kid have it now & again, but then the continuous exposure to this junk just deadens your kid's taste buds so that natural sweet just isn't sweet enough any more. It's deliberate on the part of the "food" producing companies and their marketers.

Until the schools start waking up to what's going on and teaching HEALTH again (in all its meanings....i.e. kids as whole, healthy people), our kids are going to keep facing health problems.

I am sorry I have no solution and my heart goes out to you.
#7 of 91 Old 05-04-2010, 08:58 PM

I know I'm in the minority here about this subject.

We just don't allow it. Even "not allowing" it, dd gets something really junky once a week at least. Brownies, playdate, the occasional after-school care, library events, camps, lessons. Even if you're vigilant, it still creeps in. IMO, "only 3 times a week", is more like "every day" in reality.

Most will say it will become "forbidden fruit". We've never had that problem and dd is 8. She has become accustomed to non-processed foods, so they don't even appeal to her. She will say, "they had Cheese-its at Brownies, and I ate a few to try, but they tasted like chemicals." She has the option of eating what they are serving, but I always try to remember to send her a healthy option. Now at 8, she always chooses the healthy option unless it's a party (and I don't even bother with a healthy option when it's a festivity... but these are less than once a month). We've never had power struggles over food, she doesn't sneak it, and she doesn't lie about it.

And yeah... we never eat fast food, but dd doesn't ask for it. We don't drink soda and dd has never asked for it. After about 5 yo, we did discuss how food is processed for fast-food places and we've even seen some of the methods on shows like Modern Marvels. She's never seen Food Inc. and such (I think those are a little too in-your-face for her age, yet), but we do talk about it and she understands ethical food standards. She has a very healthy attitude about food.
#8 of 91 Old 05-04-2010, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
I know I'm in the minority here about this subject.

We just don't allow it. Even "not allowing" it, dd gets something really junky once a week at least. Brownies, playdate, the occasional after-school care, library events, camps, lessons. Even if you're vigilant, it still creeps in. IMO, "only 3 times a week", is more like "every day" in reality.

Most will say it will become "forbidden fruit". We've never had that problem and dd is 8. She has become accustomed to non-processed foods, so they don't even appeal to her. She will say, "they had Cheese-its at Brownies, and I ate a few to try, but they tasted like chemicals." She has the option of eating what they are serving, but I always try to remember to send her a healthy option. Now at 8, she always chooses the healthy option unless it's a party (and I don't even bother with a healthy option when it's a festivity... but these are less than once a month). We've never had power struggles over food, she doesn't sneak it, and she doesn't lie about it.

And yeah... we never eat fast food, but dd doesn't ask for it. We don't drink soda and dd has never asked for it. After about 5 yo, we did discuss how food is processed for fast-food places and we've even seen some of the methods on shows like Modern Marvels. She's never seen Food Inc. and such (I think those are a little too in-your-face for her age, yet), but we do talk about it and she understands ethical food standards. She has a very healthy attitude about food.
I would think you'd be in the majority at MDC! Or you mean the whole "forbidden fruit" angle? Now I"m worried that I"ve ruined him--he's already tasted all this cr*p. He understands the nutrition of it (as much as a 4 y/o can understand), but it's hard when everyone else eats it--it's hard for me as a parent!

ETA so what would you do re: the preschool? Tell them they can't serve him the garbage everyone else eats? It's over this month, so no point in pulling him out. Always bring a snack to tee ball? Maybe I will do that--I can't believe anyone would buy, let alone eat that Froot Foot. And they wanted to give some to my 2 y/o!!!
#9 of 91 Old 05-04-2010, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NellieKatz View Post
Homeschooling.

Yes, my homeschooling friend feels the same way. I had thought I was going to h/s, then changed my mind...this is bringing back the other way again. It's very depressing that in the US you have to isolate yourself to get away from unhealthy food.
#10 of 91 Old 05-04-2010, 09:36 PM

I don't have a solution either, just agreeing that it is really hard to raise a healthy eating kid in an environment that is totally ignorant about nutrition. I know very smart, thoughtful people who feed their kids that strawberry syrup in their milk because "it gets them drinking milk" and "it's loaded with vitamins." They actually think it's good for them. And that's the problem with letting food companies do as they please - they've convinced many people that cr*p is good for them.

My son is in preschool 3x a week and gets a snack (provided by parents on a rotating basis). It is usually pretzels or goldfish and juice (only 100% juice is allowed at the school)...so it's not that bad. Not my first choice, but whatever.

As long as they aren't getting frequent snacks/meals from outside sources, I still feel like I have some control over what they eat. We pack healthy lunches when we meet up with friends at the playground and my oldest son (5) will sometimes complain that he doesn't have doritos or a fruit roll up like his friends, but for the most part, he just eats and is used to what I serve.

#11 of 91 Old 05-04-2010, 09:48 PM

Whoa! newbymom05 I just wanted to clarify something so there was no misunderstanding. You said "you have to isolate yourself" and that is not what homeschooling is.

We just have a different circle that we travel in now. In fact we belong to a new, democratic free school (very small, just 6 kids, age 7 thru 14 all homeschooled kids learning together). Most of the families eat pretty healthy and we have vegans and vegetarians among us. So the kids in our group get exposed to a more balanced food scenario. We belong to many groups and have plenty of friends, too....but in all the things we're involved in, we have more of a voice in what's served, who we associate with (i.e. common values) etc.

Does that make more sense now? THanks.....can't say more now....gotta go run and tape Lost!
#12 of 91 Old 05-04-2010, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Whoa! newbymom05 I just wanted to clarify something so there was no misunderstanding. You said "you have to isolate yourself" and that is not what homeschooling is.
Sorry, poor choice of cut/paste and my words. I didn't mean to offend, sorry if I did. I meant in my own situation. I didn't expect a morning preschool or sports activity to include junk food, so what's my alternative, not attend? That was my sketchy thought process, not a comment on h/s. Maybe I've had too much HFCS.
#13 of 91 Old 05-04-2010, 10:57 PM

My DD is younger-almost 2. So far the fresh fruit is working but I'm sure that will change
#14 of 91 Old 05-04-2010, 11:04 PM

I know the feeling although I'm pretty happy with my son's school.

Although I can think of a few strategies (feed on the way, don't add in any treat at home, try to avoid the juice) I think really the thing is...we do have to have these awkward conversations with people. As gently as possible. I think I might say to the teachers (since that's the easy place to start)...you know we don't eat these foods at home because of these concerns, and it is bothering me. Is there a way that we could work out different snacks for the class.

For sports I noticed that one of our local grocery stores has the official snack of FIFA or the World Cup or a team or something...they sell bowls of this snack for a whopping $8 and it is - orange sections. With the peels on. I had to LAUGH SO HARD at the price and the marketing but I was also glad to see a team getting behind something like fruit. So I wonder if there's a sneaky way to get a local fruit seller or farmer to sponsor the team's snacks or something (maybe have a farm visit?) or other cool ways of getting the 'official' snack of the team to be healthier.

Other than that I have nothing. We're not into a complete ban on junk but it really is pervasive.

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
#15 of 91 Old 05-04-2010, 11:06 PM

You know what? I hate to say this, Raine822, but you are probably right. My son was sort of immune to the outside influences for a really long time, but gradually I have noticed, through just the exposure to sweets and/or junk on special occasions, holidays, grandma's house and of course even normal sweets that aren't artificial and full of HFCS, he has gradually come to want sugary things more & more and is suddenly starting to drop various fruits off his list of things he wants to eat....formerly favorite fruits.

It has gotten to the point that I am a militant psycho about some things, like people giving him sweetened fruits and sweetened peanut butter.....I lose my mind when Grandma does this, because for heavens sakes it is just so hard to get them to eat fruits and whole foods anyway (after they have been exposed to sugary stuff), to then go ahead and sweeten things that SHOULD taste good enough on their own....pretty soon the kid just won't eat a thing that has not got sugar added!

rant rant rant

Sorry I am a bit distracted right now, so if that was coherent it's going to be a miracle. I have to run along. The episode of Lost from tonight has me so rattled I can barely think. Time to put the little guy to bed.....
#16 of 91 Old 05-05-2010, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbymom05 View Post
ETA so what would you do re: the preschool? Tell them they can't serve him the garbage everyone else eats? It's over this month, so no point in pulling him out. Always bring a snack to tee ball? Maybe I will do that--I can't believe anyone would buy, let alone eat that Froot Foot. And they wanted to give some to my 2 y/o!!!
Dd has been at the same school for 5 years now. She's in 2nd grade. I have packed a snack for her every single day since she started. I have packed her lunch every single day. But yeah, I just always make sure there is an alternative. If I know that there is going to be something particularly interesting, I'll make sure she has something interesting from home (for example, fruit leather isn't hard to make at home). Or a treat that is store-bought, but all-natural. For example, Motts makes these gummy treats that are all-natural. Fun shapes and colors, but they use natural flavors and colors with no additives or preservatives. I'd send some of those if I knew kids were going to get Jello. When it's a b-day party, dd can have anything and everything. Even then, she self-moderates because it makes her sick to eat much junk.

Also, she's not alone on this. Two of her best friends have food allergies and their mothers are even more careful than I am.

As I said, though, even being careful, something slips in routinely. She'll forget the snack for Brownies and end up eating a few processed crackers or she'll still be hungry after the snack I gave her and eat a yogurt (which is artificially colored and flavored). So, it does happen, just not as frequently as it would if I just gave up on trying. I really do think that overly-processed and chemical-laden foods is at the root of the health problems in kids and the younger generations of adults.
#17 of 91 Old 05-05-2010, 08:56 AM

I just don't worry about it.

He eats healthy at home and he just doesn't have a taste for cr@p.

Saturday we were at an event and the other family we were with grabbed some of the free snacks and gave one to DS. It was a bag of gummy candy things. I honestly don't know what they were. He took one bite and was done. I had pretzels with us and brought those out and he (and the other kids) ate those.

I think if you keep giving them healthy, REAL food at home they realize the other stuff tastes yucky.

And yes, sometimes he eats garbage. Eh, sometimes so do I. He inherited my weakness for all things donut and bbq chips. But, we bought a bag of bbq chips to go with our cook out on Saturday (why do they not sell small bags anymore?) and we both had some and there they sit to be thrown out because we'll never finish them.

Don't forbid them but make healthy foods the main portion of their diet and they will naturally not care for the other stuff as much.
#18 of 91 Old 05-05-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Homeschooling.

The junk food is not the reason we decided to homeschool, but it's one of the reasons we would never consider turning back. Just ONE of the many reasons. There are so many negative influences out there that are sanctioned by the school and other organizations....I would go stark raving MAD if my kid were exposed to what you described. And because, quite reasonably, you don't want to be a dictator-jerk of a parent and have a strict, outright ban....you let your kid have it now & again, but then the continuous exposure to this junk just deadens your kid's taste buds so that natural sweet just isn't sweet enough any more. It's deliberate on the part of the "food" producing companies and their marketers.

Until the schools start waking up to what's going on and teaching HEALTH again (in all its meanings....i.e. kids as whole, healthy people), our kids are going to keep facing health problems.

I am sorry I have no solution and my heart goes out to you.
Same here!...

We're the parents. We want to decide how often and what junk my children gets .
Now is summer time and we like to eat ice cream once a week or so. By if somebody offer to my LO one big cookie once a day, they going to be addict to sugar in no time. They going to demand that cookie the day they skipped, not matter what!

Mama of and , partners.gif with  Love
#19 of 91 Old 05-05-2010, 09:40 AM

We go to church... juice (Capri Sun) and doughnuts - then candy or chocolates as a reward for good behavior. We go to playgroup at the family resource center.... juice (Capri Sun) and doughnuts. We go to gymnastics - juice boxes at the end. These are all places where I have not control over what is served unless I take a turn serving. But I've basically been asked not to because I provide water and trail mix, dried fruit, homemade fruit roll ups or the like. A lot of these places are adopting policies where only packaged food can be served. That makes it even harder!

We go to basketball - all the concession choices are junk (at least here I feel I can say no).

We stop at grandma's house... junk. We go to Mimi's house (other grandma) MORE junk. HUGE hurt feelings if I don't go along. I've had outright ARGUMENTS with family over the JUNK! It makes no difference. Then my kids view me as the huge bad guy because I said no to the treat grandma wanted to give them.

We go to a birthday party... junk junk junk.

I go to a meeting where childcare is provided.... JUNK!

This leads to 7 days a week of JUNK JUNK JUNK JUNK JUNK JUNK JUNK! I'd say one snack a day is JUNK!

People get REALLY offended when you say no to what they serve.

What's worse it makes me MORE hyper vigilant at home! We can't enjoy a reasonable treat from time to time in our own house because every time we set foot out the door it is JUNK!
#20 of 91 Old 05-05-2010, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I hate to be the ranting "Back in my day" lady but - when I was a kid, we just didn't have all these snacks. We went to ball practice or played a game and then we were handed off to our parents. There were no snacks. There were no snacks for things that only took an hour or two. I don't even get the point of that. Kids are getting heavier and heavier so we've tacked a snack onto everything? And not some kind of filling snack, but just junk? You don't give a hungry kid a fruit roll up!

I really really dread this. My daughter isn't in a lot of activities yet, but she is somewhat overweight. I am so careful about what comes into our house, but I can not control the world. I am already seeing less of my family (we all tend to congregate at my mom's) because my mom leaves cookies, Sprite, and chips (things we don't even BUY) ON THE COUNTER and people just randomly hand things to her when she asks for them. She has a neurological problem that means she can't run (right now) and I've convinced them that "some people have found" that artificial sweeteners cause flare ups (this is actually true), I should have lied and tacked on HFCS while I was at it.

I really really worry about this kind of thing. I grew up in a home where both parents worked and my mom's solution was to fill the house with convenience foods. I and all three of my siblings have weight problems, self image issues, various bouts with eating disorders, and at the moment we are ALL overweight. I try so HARD to keep my child from going down this road and signing her up for activities would SEEM to be a good option but if they tack a freakin' snack on to every single one, how is that helping?

There are days I think I will go back to school and study nutrition, then become a crusader for children. I am worried that we well never be able to reverse this obesity situation. No recess, cutting PE at school, and now with every activity, a snack.

So much for my not ranting. Oops.
#21 of 91 Old 05-05-2010, 10:35 AM

We did Montessori and Waldorf preschool when my oldest was little....one had a no sugar policy and the other was all homemade stuff. I remember checking out another preschool that had an only packaged food policy......no thanks. After that, we homeschooled, and have been ever since. I agree what the PP said, we are now in circles where healthy eating is the norm. Many people that are in are homeschool circles are also in our various food co-ops and CSA's...even those become social outlets for the kids.

That said, when we are out and about I don't restrict junk too much, we do the free cookie at the store, fast food when travelling, eat less-than-stellar at friend's houses that don't eat the way we do, that type of thing. It used to drive me nuts that in soccer the games had to capped off w/junk food. I would just let the kids have it but would always bring something healthier that was somewhat mainstream when it was my turn to bring snacks. I remember bringing a bowl of orange slices that the whole team devoured. I always hoped the rest of the parents would notice and start bringing fruit, never happened.

Now my kids are older and have a really good idea of what is and isn't junk. The 3 oldest definitely try to choose healthy for the most part (they are 18,14 and 10) and have told me they feel the difference when they eat crappy stuff. The youngest, well she has a sweet tooth. We're working on that!
#22 of 91 Old 05-05-2010, 10:40 AM
Banned

OH gosh, I feel the same way and my little guy is only 3 so he's not even in that many activities yet.

It doesn't help that hubby is not totally on board with healthy eating. It makes me feel all alone AND like a total nut job for being this crazy about it.

I especially feel bad about telling our neighbor kids no when they bring stuff out for my DS. They always ask a million questions, and while I like that I have an opportunity to educate them, I don't want them to feel bad (or make their mom feel bad when they tell her!) that they subsist on Pringles and Chips Ahoy!
#23 of 91 Old 05-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Banned

And I agree.... I don't remember having snacks with our activities when we were little. If we went to girl scouts, it was after dinner. It was always assumed that everyone should be full. Sports, you would always just be headed home for lunch afterward. They would hav a jug of water.... that's it.

Me neighbor kids don't even know what broccoli looks like.
#24 of 91 Old 05-05-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post
I hate to be the ranting "Back in my day" lady but - when I was a kid, we just didn't have all these snacks. We went to ball practice or played a game and then we were handed off to our parents. There were no snacks. There were no snacks for things that only took an hour or two. I don't even get the point of that. Kids are getting heavier and heavier so we've tacked a snack onto everything? And not some kind of filling snack, but just junk? You don't give a hungry kid a fruit roll up!
I totally agree! I did soccer as a kid, and our parents brought water bottles and that was the only "snack" we had. Then we'd go home and have lunch.

I feel like so much of this is just because there's been such a backlash to the 70s style "neglectful" parenting (I say that semi-sarcastically, but almost everyone I know had plenty of childhood experiences that no way would pass muster as being either safe or sane in most any household today) that parents today want to be "involved." And bringing snacks seems like an easy way to be involved. It's totally ridiculous.

I have nothing against a snack at preschool, because that's largely a socialization thing. The kids learn to sit still and eat in a group, not snatch their neighbor's snack, they usually help pass things out and clean up, they make conversation. There's probably at least one kid somewhere in the class who has never eaten a meal sitting at a table instead of in front of the TV. But the amount of food in question is usually so small that there's absolutely no excuse in not having it be something healthy!

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#25 of 91 Old 05-05-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaCrystal View Post
We go to church... juice (Capri Sun) and doughnuts - then candy or chocolates as a reward for good behavior. We go to playgroup at the family resource center.... juice (Capri Sun) and doughnuts. We go to gymnastics - juice boxes at the end. These are all places where I have not control over what is served unless I take a turn serving. But I've basically been asked not to because I provide water and trail mix, dried fruit, homemade fruit roll ups or the like. A lot of these places are adopting policies where only packaged food can be served. That makes it even harder!

We go to basketball - all the concession choices are junk (at least here I feel I can say no).

We stop at grandma's house... junk. We go to Mimi's house (other grandma) MORE junk. HUGE hurt feelings if I don't go along. I've had outright ARGUMENTS with family over the JUNK! It makes no difference. Then my kids view me as the huge bad guy because I said no to the treat grandma wanted to give them.

We go to a birthday party... junk junk junk.

I go to a meeting where childcare is provided.... JUNK!

This leads to 7 days a week of JUNK JUNK JUNK JUNK JUNK JUNK JUNK! I'd say one snack a day is JUNK!

People get REALLY offended when you say no to what they serve.

What's worse it makes me MORE hyper vigilant at home! We can't enjoy a reasonable treat from time to time in our own house because every time we set foot out the door it is JUNK!
This is how I feel. I feel that if we leave the house it's a battle to keep the junk away and frankly, DS is 3 and his body is growing and he does not need junk in his little system at all.

DS takes an art class...great class, but at the end is snack time. WTF? WHY does there have to be a snack? And why can't it be reasonably healthy instead of oreos? We've had to start leaving early just to avoid the stupid snack. Sometimes in order to avoid the hassle I have to stoop to lying about food allergies which I hate to do.

Heck, sometimes I insist on throwing massive parties for our huge family that I have neither the energy or time for just because I can avoid the junk that way. I bake my own cakes, cookies, bread, and make my own ice cream. I feel at least DS knows what a cookie is, but I can control the ingredients.

And to be perfectly honest DS is attending a Waldorf school in September just because it's the only school around that will make an organic snack...like soup or fresh bread. So I'll be driving 45 minutes for PRESCHOOL because I feel that strongly about the junk that is in most foods these days and the horrible addictive and social influences it has on our kids.

Maybe I need to lighten up but think about it, food is just not food anymore. There is so much junk added to practically everything that "just a little bit" "now and then" adds up so quickly that it's a lot and daily.

And yes as a parent I have nightmares about how to help DS fit in down the line when he's older but still keep his diet as clean as possible and how to teach him about food and what's in it(he knows quite a lot already because we talk about it and we grow lots of things and visit lots of farms) so that when he's older he'll make smart choices.

Sorry, rambling here but I feel so overwhelmed sometimes by the "food" that is available today.
#26 of 91 Old 05-05-2010, 11:43 AM

I'm the annoying mom who talks to the school about the snacks and gives ideas of snacks they could use that aren't so junky. We are vegetarians so I have to do this anyway because I don't want them handing out rice krispy treats to my kids or gummy worms with gelatin. Sometimes I supply the snacks like Late July cheese crackers or pretzels or jolly beans.
#27 of 91 Old 05-05-2010, 12:19 PM

I know the family fight well. My mother insists on giving DD not just junk but the worst possible junk. Things that we don't allow DD AT ALL. If I say no she sneaks it behind my back and tells DD that I said no but grandma will give it to you anyway. (My mother is no longer in our lives due to this and MANY other reasons).

We also try to compromise by allowing DD some sweets but ones that we feel are better. DH has diabetes so I have learned to make less sugary snacks that still taste good.
#28 of 91 Old 05-05-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnMomma View Post
DS takes an art class...great class, but at the end is snack time. WTF? WHY does there have to be a snack? And why can't it be reasonably healthy instead of oreos? We've had to start leaving early just to avoid the stupid snack. Sometimes in order to avoid the hassle I have to stoop to lying about food allergies which I hate to do.
Maybe my priorities are really off, but this annoys me if only because I'm paying for an ART class! If I'm paying for an hour of art, I want an hour of art, darn it. If I want to pay for my kids to eat, I'll take them to a restaurant after the art class, thank you. I would be really annoyed if only for that reason...

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#29 of 91 Old 05-05-2010, 12:57 PM

This has been a scary thread. I do remember the junk being awfully prevalent in ds1's elementary school. But, there have been policy changes since then. (Some of them actually don't thrill me that much, even though I agree with the reasoning behind them.) I always sent ds1 with a sandwich and a piece of fruit or chopped veggies, and he was free to drink as much water as he liked at school...both because I felt it was the best thing to drink, and because I was pretty broke. But, many of his classmates had lunches packed with candies and stuff. It kind of blew my mind, as I only ever remember kids having candy at school during the week right after Halloween or Easter...a single piece of Halloween candy or a small chocolate egg. A lot of ds1's classmates used to buy pop in the vending machines at school all the time, too. Those machines are gone. There's been progress...but there are still vending machines serving "Milk 2 Go"...which comes as plain milk, but also in chocolate, strawberry, vanilla, orange and banana. *sigh*

The snacks at activities described in this thread blow my mind, though. My kids never did soccer, but my oldest nephew did. The snack (during the break at the middle) was always orange wedges. DS2's preschool has a "healthy snacks" rule, as did ds1's kindergarten. (DS2 usually gets a couple small slices of cheese, plus some fruit or veggie. DS1 used to take chopped veggies most of the time...he loved green peppers and broccoli back then.) The kindergarten class talked about the snacks and why each one was good for you and things like that. I can't even begin to imagine ds2's preschool teacher/director handing out fruit roll-ups!

I like candy as much as anyone else - more than most, if we're going to be honest - but I don't understand this push to give kids candy and sweets all the time. It's so messed up.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#30 of 91 Old 05-05-2010, 01:04 PM

Some people have tried to tell me that fruit snacks/fruit roll ups are healthy because they are made from fruit. WHAT?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page