Mothering Forum banner

Spin Off - growing out boy's hair

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Boot 
#1 ·
My ds (3) has thick, straight, fine textured hair. It's in an overgrown bowl cut just now. DH really wants it to grow out. I've nothing against long hair but I know the angst of the in between stage. I'd like to honour DH's wishes as he rarely expresses a strong opinion on this type of thing. How can I stop DS's hair from driving him crazy until it's long enough to go in a pony tail? Any creative solutions?

#2 ·
When my daughter's hair was growing out, we often put just the front in a pony tail but she was like 1.5 at the time and I think it's a common solution for little girls of that age (boys, too, for all I know). I think you could try that. Stretchy headbands might work. It takes them a WHILE to get used to having something in the hair and not trying to jerk it out.

Maybe your husband will agree that if it bothers your son, he can get it cut. I don't think it's fair to make a kid go through months of annoying hair in the eyes because one parent wants it.

#3 ·
One of DD's friends, when he was around 5, was growing his hair out and he totally wore the tiny ponytail sticking straight up on the top of his head. With DD & DS we had always called them whale spouts. This boy, though, called it his firecracker fuse
DS was very impressed and wanted one, too!

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post
This boy, though, called it his firecracker fuse
DS was very impressed and wanted one, too!
That's funny.

Sweatbands or headbands made out of cool fabric are good options. I bet the terry cloth sports ones would be the most comfortable. I hemmed the edges of some long strips of fabric and tie them around ds's head when his hair annoys him on windy days. He hates the feel of pony tails or any sort of clips in his hair. He hates haircuts but his hair annoys him eventually, especially wet hair on his back. He sometimes cuts the front of his hair on his own when it gets in his eyes and bothers him, so you and dh may not have as much control over your ds's hair style as you think.

#6 ·
What does your son want? Some kids are already very vocal about their hair preferences by 3.

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ProtoLawyer View Post
What does your son want? Some kids are already very vocal about their hair preferences by 3.
He's very vocal about everything but not very consistent. 'Do you want to have long hair like mummy?' 'yes'. The next day 'Would you like to get your hair cut?' 'yes'. He doesn't like it in his eyes though, I know that. I think I will let it grow a bit and try the headbands and hats. I might also try to make some cool hairclips with diggers or something on them.

If it really starts to bother him then DH will notice that too and we can revisit it. I think he would look cute with long hair, I just don't want the pain of getting there!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.