Boys and pierced ears... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 05-12-2010, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a bit out of the loop, none of our friends boys have their ears pierced. DS LOVES jewelery. Just loves it. He's all about the *bling* He's been talking about earrings a lot lately.

Which ear? Right? Left? Both? Does it matter anymore? a quick web search said that boys can do both ears now, but i dont want the other kids (or adults for that matter ) teasing him.

heartbeat.gif

#2 of 25 Old 05-12-2010, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
How old is he? Can you get the magnetic kind (or clip on) instead of piercing? I'd just be hesitant to pierce a boy's ears if he is under age 12 or so and really understands the social ramifications... I did see a little boy (5?) recently with both ears pierced. I thought it was strange on a boy so young and wondered for a bit if he was a girl with very short hair. I know another boy who got one ear pierced at age 6. They are the only boys I've come across with pierced ears.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#3 of 25 Old 05-12-2010, 02:45 PM

I would say both ears. It looks best, to me.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#4 of 25 Old 05-12-2010, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I don't think right or left matters, at least not in the cities we've lived in. There may be regional "conventions", for want of a better word, though. If you are really worried, I'd ask around locally. Personally, it's not something that bothers me - or ds.

DS first pierced his ears when he was 8. I couldn't very well say no when he asked, since his younger sister had hers done a year or two earlier.

We talked about it over a period of time (a few months) to make sure he really wanted to do it. We talked about teasing. I explained that some people think that pierced ears in men/boys are a signal or a sign. We also talked a lot about hygiene and safety. He played sports and participated in martial arts, so it was an issue.

His response to the teasing and symbolism issues were that we always told him to think and decide things for himself, and to dress the way he wanted to, and not to pay attention to other people's opinions. Again, I couldn't very well say no at that point, or else I'd be a pretty big hypocrite.

He's 17 y.o. now. It's never been a problem, but we've always lived in fairly diverse, metropolitan areas.
#5 of 25 Old 05-12-2010, 02:55 PM

I would do the clip-on if I had to--I'm not a fan of jewelry on young children of either sex. I guess it depends on your area--where I am, I've never seen a boy younger than high school age with an earring, and earrings for boys and nose rings for both sexes are violations of our elementary/middle school dress code.
#6 of 25 Old 05-12-2010, 02:56 PM

Lexbeach has a post on this - one of her boys has pierced ears. She blogs at totallysmittenmama.blogspot I think.
#7 of 25 Old 05-12-2010, 03:04 PM

Any more, he's pretty unlikely to be teased. I think it's actually pretty common for boys to get ears pierced now a days. It's not as common as getting baby girls, but preteen and teen boys, pretty common. And it's pretty common for boys to have both ears done.

My DH first got his ear pierced a few years ago, at a tattoo/piercing shop. When he went, he wasn't sure which ear, the guy first told him that it didn't matter anymore in the general public. Then DH told him that he worked in a prison, the guy immediately told him left ear. So if you are only going for one ear and are concerned about symbolism, go for the left one. I don't think the symbolism is really an issue, but there's no reason not to just go for the left either so...
#8 of 25 Old 05-12-2010, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

he's almost 9

i didnt know about the magnetic earrings, i think i'll get him some of those to trial it out, then if he wants to go permanent, he can

thanks mama's

heartbeat.gif

#9 of 25 Old 05-12-2010, 04:34 PM

Honestly, I can't see why he would be teased.

As for here, DS has no earrings, but I have two, one in each ear. Never been teased for them. Most people don't even notice. I did them one at a time, got the left done first and then decided to do the other one when I realized I like having a choice between one, the other or both.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#10 of 25 Old 05-13-2010, 09:23 AM

I know lots of guys with both ears pierced. It's more common with teens around here though. I don't see many people with just one ear pierced anymore.

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#11 of 25 Old 05-13-2010, 11:24 AM

Let him try out the magnetic ones to see if he wants just one or both. I mostly see both on kids.
#12 of 25 Old 05-13-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbymom05 View Post
I would do the clip-on if I had to--I'm not a fan of jewelry on young children of either sex. I guess it depends on your area--where I am, I've never seen a boy younger than high school age with an earring, and earrings for boys and nose rings for both sexes are violations of our elementary/middle school dress code.
How can they possibly justify having different rules for boys and girls?

Who cares if a boy has his ear/ears pierced?
#13 of 25 Old 05-13-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL83 View Post
How can they possibly justify having different rules for boys and girls?

Who cares if a boy has his ear/ears pierced?
no kidding. That would never fly with me. If the school rules allowed my DD to have her ears pierced but not my DS, I'd be raising some heck.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#14 of 25 Old 05-13-2010, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

so, we found some magnetic earrings and ds loves them. (he's wearing both just in case anyone was wondering ) the only problem we've noticed with the magnetic ones is that they come off easily and ds almost lost one.

heartbeat.gif

#15 of 25 Old 05-13-2010, 02:49 PM

I think it is great that you are letting him try out the magnetic kind first. That way he can decide if it is really something he wants to do permanently with his body or if it is just a fad.

I wish more parents approached girl earrings this way.
#16 of 25 Old 05-13-2010, 02:55 PM

I may be totally out of the loop.

Peirced ears for boys was popular about 15 years ago, but I don't think I've seen it much lately. It seems to have fallen out of favor.

But, if my son wanted it, I'd do it... and, i have no idea which ear, or how many.
#17 of 25 Old 05-14-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
no kidding. That would never fly with me. If the school rules allowed my DD to have her ears pierced but not my DS, I'd be raising some heck.
Eh. Boys wearing dresses or skirts is also a dress code violation, although girls can. That doesn't bother me either.
#18 of 25 Old 05-14-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Eh. Boys wearing dresses or skirts is also a dress code violation, although girls can. That doesn't bother me either.
Both of those would bother me. Why should girls get to do something and not boys?

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#19 of 25 Old 05-14-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
Both of those would bother me. Why should girls get to do something and not boys?
Wait, didn't you post that you could see why a small boy could be teased for an earring??? I know I'm in a conservative area, but I would think a young boy in a skirt or dress would REALLY be teased in most places of the US. I assume that's why they have the rule--to prevent class disruption, not to deny someone an experience.

It doesn't matter to me since I figure my kids can wear whatever they want the other 16+ hrs of the day.
#20 of 25 Old 05-14-2010, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
If he is nine then I think you should let it be his choice. He is old enough to know if he will be teased or not. When I was young we though one ear piercing in a boy was really cool. I had a boy in the kindergarten I interned in who had both ears pierced and it was very cute, but at nine it is more of a personal choice that he should have final say on. I would suggest that you make sure he understands that it really hurts a lot and the ears have to be cleaned daily with ear stuff before you make a final decision.
#21 of 25 Old 05-14-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Wait, didn't you post that you could see why a small boy could be teased for an earring??? I know I'm in a conservative area, but I would think a young boy in a skirt or dress would REALLY be teased in most places of the US. I assume that's why they have the rule--to prevent class disruption, not to deny someone an experience.

It doesn't matter to me since I figure my kids can wear whatever they want the other 16+ hrs of the day.
Typo, meant to say "can't see why he would be teased".

If they want to prevent class disruptions they can actually do something about kids teasing each other instead of putting on the person being teased to conform.

#22 of 25 Old 05-14-2010, 11:50 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
An earring in just the right ear is an indication of "gay" --at least around here. So I'd do the left or both (unless he wants to identify as gay, of course.)

Most high school boys I see with earrings do both, and they "gauge" them (go increasingly bigger until they have enormous holes in their ears. I wouldn't recommend that, especially not at 9!)

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#23 of 25 Old 05-24-2010, 02:22 AM

Make sure you take him to a piercing shop where proper, autoclaved equipment is used. Guns=no, needles=yes

I think boys with earrings are cute, but I definitely think that both ears looks best. Since I have very pierced ears (lobes double pierced, tragus, rook and two helix piercings) and I tend to have a thing for guys with gauged lobes (only the little ones though, not the huge ones) there's a good chance my future DS will want his done, and after age 5 or so I'd have no issues with it. Then again, I'm hoping that my kids are so horrified by their modified parents that they think we are hideously uncool and don't pierce or tattoo anything )

treehugger.gif NMY, uber-crunchy, college student, doula-in-training, health food store worker and future librarian read.gif

#24 of 25 Old 05-24-2010, 06:22 PM

I can totally see my oldest son seriously wanting to have his ears pierced.

However...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaBeanie View Post
Make sure you take him to a piercing shop where proper, autoclaved equipment is used. Guns=no, needles=yes
This. Piercing guns are a BAD idea. And most piercers (at least here... not sure if it's different in the US) will not pierce kids. The piercer who did my helix recently will only pierce ages 18+, but will *consider* some piercings in kids starting at ages 14-16 with parental consent. That seems to be a pretty standard policy around here. So it's kind of a non-issue when it comes down to the logistics, unless some piercers are more flexible if it's just a standard earlobe piercing. (otherwise I am in the camp of "sure, why not, as long as he understands and is making the choice himself").
#25 of 25 Old 05-24-2010, 07:00 PM

To go off onto the pro-needle spiel even more, it's not just about sanitary reasons. Many, many people will say that it's okay to get it done with the single-use cartridges that they use at Claires, Piercing Pagoda, etc. The biggest issue with guns is NOT potential spread of disease, it's pain and jewelry. The pain from the guns is far worse than that of a needle because piercing studs, while sharp, are not sharp enough. They cause blunt trauma to the ear lobe which leads to more difficult healing. The piercing jewelry is not long enough to allow for proper swelling and allows lymph fluid to collect, plus it is not the right gauge. The cleaning solution they provide is all wrong too, and can dry out the piercing causing it to get more easily infected and heal wrong.

So, in short; call around and find a legitimate piercing/tattoo shop that will pierce him. Make sure they use a needle. Make sure they use jewelry (barbells or captive ball rings) that are the right gauge and properly autoclaved. Ask for recipes for a sea salt solution for healing the piercing. If your son decides to get pierced, you want it to be the safest, healthiest, best experience possible

treehugger.gif NMY, uber-crunchy, college student, doula-in-training, health food store worker and future librarian read.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page