The bathroom door... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 05-20-2010, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Mayapple View Post
It wasn't just the kids that were a problem. DH thinks its perfectly fine to stand there and brush his teeth, shave, whatever while I'm on the toilet. Again, not acceptable to me.
I hear ya. I leave the door open when I'm using the toilet when I'm here alone with the kids -- they pretty much leave me alone, but once in a while they'll cruise by and chat or whatever, which is fine. And DH and I pee in front of each other when we're getting ready for bed at night, but when I'm doing my morning routine after my shower, I like to be nude (to "steam" so I don't sweat all over my clothes) and it drives me crazy when DH keeps coming in.

Our room doesn't have a door between the bedroom and the bathroom, so even though I wait until he's showered and dressed before I start getting ready, he'll invariably come upstairs and change his shirt, or get his shoes that he forgot, or grab some stuff for the dry cleaners, or whatever, and I always say, "I'M IN THE BATHROOM!! I KNOW THERE'S NO DOOR, BUT IT'S THE BATHROOM AND IT'S PRIVATE." I'm half-joking, but it does really irk me sometimes.

I'm not a fan of that trend in home design, where the master bedroom has no bathroom door. It's fine for there to be openness between husbands and wives, but I do not need DH getting a full backside view of me bending over blow drying my hair or something. (Did any of you see the good naked/bad naked Seinfeld episode? )

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#32 of 39 Old 05-20-2010, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post
I'm not a fan of that trend in home design, where the master bedroom has no bathroom door. It's fine for there to be openness between husbands and wives, but I do not need DH getting a full backside view of me bending over blow drying my hair or something. (Did any of you see the good naked/bad naked Seinfeld episode? )
LOL@Seinfeld!!!!

We visited the home of one of DH's co-workers. The place was enormous-one of those almost-a-mansion type of homes. Anyway, his wife was showing me around and showed me their master suite. Not only did the bathroom not have a door, but the shower was just a glass box. No shower curtains or anything-just glass. I'm sorry but I just don't think I'd ever love anyone enough to want to see them naked THAT often!

Due to increases in operating costs, decreases in revenue and market instability, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience.
#33 of 39 Old 05-20-2010, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I used to take dd into the bathroom with me to shower or do other things before she potty trained. I think it made her see those things as normal because she has never been squeemish about any bathroom activity. I slowly moved towards her being more independent though after she was three because I wanted to be in the bathroom myself sometimes and she wanted to play when I showered instead of showering with me.
#34 of 39 Old 05-21-2010, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

I guess DH and I are weird...we totally pee in front of each other all the time. And sometimes, if I'm in the shower or something, he'll poop in the same bathroom... I had no idea those things were odd

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#35 of 39 Old 05-21-2010, 01:26 PM

It just occurred to me that sometimes, when at my parents or inlaws house, I need to remember to close the door all the way. Even before we had kids, my husband and I had a habbit of leaving the door open. And I cant even TELL YOU how many times I have caught a shot of my BIL peeing at the ILs cuz he NEVER closes the door to pee.

ETA, my husband USED to poop while I was in the shower, before we had two bathrooms, now he goes to the other bathroom, THANK GOD!!!!
#36 of 39 Old 05-21-2010, 06:21 PM
mbm

I grew up with ZERO bathroom privacy. Our bathroom door unlocked from either side, and my mother was always letting herself in to get something or just to have a conversation, whatever I happened to be doing in there. She still does this when I visit!

Therefore, in our house, toilet time is and always will be sacred, alone time. The door is closed. DD whines a little and knocks, and I am happy to talk to her or sing a song so she knows I am there, but I am not letting her or anyone else in.
#37 of 39 Old 05-21-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbm View Post
I grew up with ZERO bathroom privacy. Our bathroom door unlocked from either side, and my mother was always letting herself in to get something or just to have a conversation, whatever I happened to be doing in there. She still does this when I visit!
Me too...but I didn't mind it and it's the same in our house now.

Jillian wife to Ryan and mommy to Janelle Ashlynn (9/09/2002), Kincaid Chance (3/29/2004), Travis Neil (8/13/2007) and River Anderson (5/02/2009).
#38 of 39 Old 05-21-2010, 07:02 PM

I still change in front of my 5-year-old and often he comes in the bathroom when I am in there. I have no problems with that. I figure if one of use becomes uncomfortable with it, it will stop. However, I will not be in the bathroom with another adult except for my bff. The very thought of seeing my mom naked or using the bathroom creeps me out.

Lilly, mum to one handsome boyand to one of God's angels in heaven
#39 of 39 Old 05-21-2010, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't think you're weird, but I would never do it. To me, the bathroom is a place where I expect privacy. My children have been taught from a very early age that when I am in the bathroom I expect privacy. I think if that's what they are used to then they don't question it.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page