The bathroom door... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 05-19-2010, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Because it's just me and DS during the day I leave the door open when I'm in the bathroom (no matter what I'm doing). He LOVES it. I like to leave him on one side of the room (opposite the bathroom) and have him crawl/walk to come get me. He laughs the entire time. Same thing when DH uses the bathroom. When we use the master bathroom we'll talk to him and he comes to "find" us. DS hates when we have company because we close the door.

It's not at all weird for us. DH has memories of his mom changing in front of him and taking baths with his dad...and my mother STILL has no issue peeing in front of me or my brother (drives my SDad up the wall).

Are we weird?

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#2 of 39 Old 05-19-2010, 01:04 PM

No. I'm never in the bathroom alone. Either one of the boys or the dog follows me in there every single time.
#3 of 39 Old 05-19-2010, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Doesn't sound weird to me, we're the same way. I'm trying to encourage the kids to start closing the bathroom door when we have guests over, and also to give guests some privacy in the bathroom but that's going a bit slow.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#4 of 39 Old 05-19-2010, 01:14 PM

alone? Whats alone?
#5 of 39 Old 05-19-2010, 01:15 PM

Nope - not weird. I never close the bathroom door, either, unless we have someone over. And actually, I find myself forgetting when DD's best friend is over and will sit down to pee and realize, oops, maybe I should close the door. I'm sure she doesn't want to see me on the toilet.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#6 of 39 Old 05-19-2010, 04:11 PM
Banned

That's what I do, too. I think DH started closing the door a while back, but when DD was a real baby of course he left it open, too. DD could tell ya when mommy "didn't make a baby" b/c she saw me getting my Diva Cup out of the cabinet She totally guessed we were pregnant before we told her, too!

Only problem is like when DH is working way upstairs and then decides right when I'm in the BR is the perfect time for a break, or he leaves out the garage, then comes back in 5 min later for something he forgot. He's gotten used to seeing me in the BR now
#7 of 39 Old 05-19-2010, 04:16 PM

Not weird at all, although, when DS#1 is going #2, I prefer that he close the door because he makes all sorts of grunting noises and our kitchen table is 6 feet away from where he's 'doing his business'. Other than that, we're a very OPEN family. Change in front of one another, DS took baths with me when I was pg with #2, things like that, use the bathroom, etc.,

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#8 of 39 Old 05-19-2010, 04:25 PM

yep, always leave the door open when it's just me & dh at home during the day. period time is a little awkward seeing that ds has to know everything going on, he's watching me with pads/tampons going "what's that?", that's one time i wish i had some privacy for 30 sec. although ds is starting to lose interest in following me into the bathroom every time now that he's potty training & spends plenty of time in there on his own.
#9 of 39 Old 05-19-2010, 04:41 PM
ssh

Not weird at all. We have two major rules for when company is around. You have to close the bathroom door and you are supposed to wear clothes. DD was quite the nudist for a year or so.
#10 of 39 Old 05-19-2010, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Not weird. I've peed more than once with ds on my lap.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#11 of 39 Old 05-19-2010, 04:44 PM

It depends. Honestly I get rather annoyed if someone bothers me when I'm in the bathroom. That's my private time and I really don't want an audience. Not to mention it's a convenient place to "hide". Kids screaming and freaking out? Sorry can't help you, I'm on the toilet. I made/make exceptions for when we are potty training, as I think it helps children learn if they see Mommy or Daddy going. I actually had to fight with DH to put a lock on our bathroom door because I was sick and tired of not having any privacy. He said it was "unnecessary". And actually, the argument came out of me wanting to lock the door when I take a hot bath. I enjoy a nice, UNINTERRUPTED soak on the weekend mornings when I have time. DH claimed that I "didn't have a right" to bathroom privacy because we only have one bathroom in our house and what if one of the kids had to go, etc etc...Easy solution-Make sure the kids and the husband use the potty before I take my bath. Then, remember to lock the door.

It wasn't just the kids that were a problem. DH thinks its perfectly fine to stand there and brush his teeth, shave, whatever while I'm on the toilet. Again, not acceptable to me. The proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back" came when he barged in on me changing a tampon. I told him to wait a minute and he refused and continued on with whatever he was doing. I guess he got tired of me throwing him out of the bathroom and slamming the door in his face because he finally installed a lock. Things have been quite peaceful around here ever since

So yeah, bathroom activities are strictly private for me. I have no problem with "family nudity". There's no A/C here so we're topless or nude in the summer months. But if I'm on the john or bathing, please leave me alone

Due to increases in operating costs, decreases in revenue and market instability, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience.
#12 of 39 Old 05-19-2010, 05:05 PM

nak
haven't gone to the bathroom w/ the door closed (unless we have company) in 2.5 years!!!!

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#13 of 39 Old 05-19-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie64g View Post
alone? Whats alone?
I also want to know.

A good day is just DH on the toilet, me in the shower, DS sitting on the counter.

The not so good days are when the two cats need to join us.

There is a definately lack of bathroom boundaries in our family. Every once in a while DS will ask for the door to be shut but not often.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#14 of 39 Old 05-19-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh View Post
Not weird at all. We have two major rules for when company is around. You have to close the bathroom door and you are supposed to wear clothes. DD was quite the nudist for a year or so.
Yep
#15 of 39 Old 05-19-2010, 07:55 PM

Not wierd at all! I realize I will never have any privacy until the year 2030 or so. It seems my shower time always ends up being a family gathering in the bathroom

Crunchy Christian Wife and Mommy to awesome DH and DD1 (4/25/07) and DD2 (8/13/10)
#16 of 39 Old 05-19-2010, 08:00 PM

Nope not weird that is how it works here to. Though on occasion I really miss using the opt in peace My kids are older but I still want them to be able to get to me if they want/need to.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#17 of 39 Old 05-19-2010, 09:16 PM

We leave our bathroom door open all the time, too, unless we have company. I don't remember my mom shutting the bathroom door when I was growing up, either. She still doesn't.

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
#18 of 39 Old 05-19-2010, 09:34 PM

DH always closes the door, he is pee shy and can not go if the door is open or someone walks in. I never close the door and even with company i never latch it. My mom always and still does pee, change and bath in front of me and any of family in the house. DS loves coming in to find me in the bathroom and we have had many convos about the Diva cup and menstrual blood (incl in the public bathroom) This was what DS said very loudly in a busy Ikea bathroom "Mama where your Diva cup go? Mama you put Diva cup in your vagina? Mama you have menstrual blood?"

Also one time DH was bathing DS and he was playing with his stacking cups and he picks up the smallest one which is red and has a curvy bottom and says "This my Diva cup"

Yeah no privacy here. I actually was commenting to DH how I don't get how people have anything but an open door bathroom policy

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

#19 of 39 Old 05-19-2010, 09:59 PM

I have not gone to the bathroom without an audience for over 3 years. Same thing goes for the shower.

I'd also like to know more about that "alone" thing! Does it even exist? Or was it just a dream I had once?
#20 of 39 Old 05-19-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post
When DS was a baby, I peed more than once while nursing DS. The only tricky part was getting my pants up and down one handed, but if he was sick/tired/starving/pissed, I sure wasn't going to unlatch him just to pee, and peeing on the couch wasn't much of an option either.

Kat, wife to and mommy to (Dec 07).
#21 of 39 Old 05-19-2010, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I know it's the norm here at MDC, but the open door bathroom policy does not work for me and it's not something we do in our family.
#22 of 39 Old 05-19-2010, 11:23 PM

I'm always bringing my daughter to the bathroom with me. She cries if she can't follow me. I WON'T have an open door with my husband as I believe toilet stuff (not shower stuff) is a boundary that should exist in (my) marriage but I always bring her in with me. I actually keep her bathtub toys under the sink behind a door without a child lock so that she can pull them out and play AND she also loves to sit on her potty while I potty. She is 14 months and not ready to potty train yet, but she likes to copy me and I love that she is totally used to the potty so when she IS ready to actually potty learn, it won't be weird for her (she's actually pee'd in it three times now coincidentally)

My husband feels more weird about her being in with him while he does toilet stuff (I don't care at all if she sees because at her age, I think it is beneficial to her) but sometimes he brings her with too and she'll play or 'potty' as well.

honestly, if I let her, she'd probably play in the bathroom half the day....
#23 of 39 Old 05-19-2010, 11:31 PM

We only have one bathroom. Things get cozy. We close the door when we have company. It works.
#24 of 39 Old 05-20-2010, 12:48 AM

Company the door is closed. Going pee 9 out of 10 times the door is open, showers it is open/unlocked since we only have one bathroom. But anything outside of that we do not have an open door policy unless its an emergency and one of us is in the shower.
#25 of 39 Old 05-20-2010, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post
My quality of life shot WAY up when I figured out that I could poop with DD in the wrap. When she was a baby I couldn't put her down at all, so I'd been waiting until DH got home!

And yeah, DH and I both let DD in the bathroom, but we prefer not to go in front of each other.

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif
#26 of 39 Old 05-20-2010, 09:58 AM

OH my gosh, going potty while holding DS was the norm for a LONG time. Now he just has to come in to "keep me company"

If it is just me and DS at home we leave the door open. Though DS doesn't like the dog (Sam) coming in so he'll often close the door if Sam is right there.

But DH and I always close the door in front of each other - not something we need to share/know about the other person!

DS is finally good about closing the door and not barging in on company.
#27 of 39 Old 05-20-2010, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I grew up in a doors open family so the concept of bathroom privacy is kind of alien to me. That said, I get kind of annoyed when my husband stands in the door staring at me when I poop. Dude. Get a hobby!

We have a gate in that door because otherwise we can't keep our daughter out. So I don't actually get joined in the bathroom much, but she's always watching.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#28 of 39 Old 05-20-2010, 03:27 PM

I look forward to peeing alone again one day! Sigh!!!!!

Wife of 20 years to my superhero firefighting DH. SAHM to 2 boys and 2 girls (3 babies in Heaven- Baby # 5 5/2010 & Baby #6 8/2011 & Baby # 7 2/1013). Cancer Survivor 2011 ( Persistent Malignant Gestational Trophoblastic Disease)

#29 of 39 Old 05-20-2010, 04:58 PM

For all those who are wondering what going to the john alone is like, guys-GET A LOCK! It doesn't have to be fancy! DH just put an eye-hook on the top of the door. The kids can't reach it, therefore they can't lock themselves in the bathroom, but it works well enough to keep prying eyes out. I'm dead serious about this! I'll come over and put one on for you!

Due to increases in operating costs, decreases in revenue and market instability, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience.
#30 of 39 Old 05-20-2010, 05:07 PM

When I was a kid, the door on the only bathroom didn't work (pocket door). So I got used to the open door policy. It didn't become a problem until my dad got remarried - one of the first things he did was replace that door (after 15 years of it being broken).

In the beginning of our relationship, DH was a little weirded out by it, but after all these years, he's used to it. The door is only closed for showers (it opens right into the bathmat area), or if we have company. And it doesn't have a lock on it.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page