Summer Fun for a Ten-Year-Old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-03-2010, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You guys give me such awesome advice every year. We don't have a car and so we are hanging out close to home...there are a couple little parks and woods nearby at least. My dd is ten. She will be going to day camp a few times a week...any suggestions on what we can do the other days?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2010, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
What does she like to do?

Is she creative/crafty? She could scrapbook/journal about her summer activities and her friends. Perhaps she could try blogging, with some photo essays of interesting things around her house.

She could start some sewing projects - simple projects like a drawstring bag for the beach, pyjama bottoms, or decorative pillows for her room.

She could try some cooking. Maybe explore some international foods, a different country each week. She could spend a day researching the country and cuisine and find a couple of recipes she'd like to try. Another day could be spent gathering the ingredients (your regular grocery day). Then cook up her feast (with your help, of course).

Building projects are fun too. She could build a bird or bat house or some planters for the garden.

HTH
Old 06-03-2010, 04:05 PM

Go play disc golf at Shenley.

Dad to DD 9/2008
Old 06-03-2010, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post
What does she like to do?

Is she creative/crafty? She could scrapbook/journal about her summer activities and her friends. Perhaps she could try blogging, with some photo essays of interesting things around her house.

She could start some sewing projects - simple projects like a drawstring bag for the beach, pyjama bottoms, or decorative pillows for her room.

She could try some cooking. Maybe explore some international foods, a different country each week. She could spend a day researching the country and cuisine and find a couple of recipes she'd like to try. Another day could be spent gathering the ingredients (your regular grocery day). Then cook up her feast (with your help, of course).

Building projects are fun too. She could build a bird or bat house or some planters for the garden.

HTH
She has recently gotten into art...really loves to draw and cook and nature...thank you!! These are great ideas!!
Old 06-03-2010, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by plunky View Post
Go play disc golf at Shenley.
Hi fellow Pittsburgher! Wow! I know nothing about that but sounds like fun!! Thanks!!
Old 06-03-2010, 05:53 PM

camera scavenger hunts are fun (i.e. find the following items from a list and take a picture). Encourage her to take the pics from an unexpected angle or to take a pic of part of the item instead of the whole. Then when they are all found, send the lot of pics via internet to your photo/drug store to have them printed, and then she can make a poster of all her neat pictures.

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
Old 06-03-2010, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreThanApplesauce View Post
camera scavenger hunts are fun (i.e. find the following items from a list and take a picture). Encourage her to take the pics from an unexpected angle or to take a pic of part of the item instead of the whole. Then when they are all found, send the lot of pics via internet to your photo/drug store to have them printed, and then she can make a poster of all her neat pictures.
Wow!! That sounds fun too!! I knew I could count on you guys!! Please keep the great ideas coming!!

User Tag List