What would you think of a 5yr old in a stroller - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 108 Old 06-05-2010, 02:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What would you think if you saw a seemingly healthy 5 year old in a stroller? Please, be honest...

My dd is in a stroller all the time. From here to the park 1.5 blocks away, all around the neighborhood on our regular walks, and on outings like the zoo. She looks like a normal, healthy 5 year old, which, I'm sorry to say, she's not. I carried her in a Kozy Carrier up until 6 months ago when she got her stoma. Now carrying her like that is out of the question because it would put pressure on her stoma. We for sure got odd looks then. But now, as she gets older, I'm wondering starting to wonder what people must be thinking of her in a stroller.

Yes, she can walk. No, she doesn't need a wheelchair. She's simply sick all the time due to a chronic illness and when she's sick she's weak, but that doesn't stop her from playing and wanting to be outside.
#2 of 108 Old 06-05-2010, 02:49 AM

I would probably not even think anything of it, but if I noticed that she was bigger than your average stroller-rider, I'd just think there was a good reason she was riding, smile and move along.

I have friends who have used strollers for their older kiddos with special needs and/or behavioral issues. I don't think it's a big deal.
#3 of 108 Old 06-05-2010, 02:56 AM

I would think that your kiddo wasn't feeling good, was tired or perhaps dealing with some sibling rivalry issues (these are all reasons that my four year old hops into the stroller on occasion!).

I most definitely would not judge, but I know those looks you are talking about, as I get them when my big-for-his-age son gets into his little brother's stroller. Try not to sweat it, mama, know inside that you are doing the absolute best for your daughter and ignore the haters!
#4 of 108 Old 06-05-2010, 02:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wouldn't think much of it, especially if the stroller is an appropriate size for her. A big kid in a tiny stroller looks odd and disproportionate, but there are plenty of bigger strollers that are suitable for bigger kids. My own 5yo likes to sit in our stroller, though he doesn't often get to ride because the 2yo needs to be kept safe!

We have a Maclaren Techno XLR that I got *specifically* so my bigger kids could ride in it. It is nice and wide and has a higher weight limit. Our jogging stroller, a Joovy Zoom, is rather short for the big kids (if you want to use the canopy), but also has a high weight limit. I opted for that over cheaper models because I have bigger kids who also like to ride now and then.

I'm sorry your DD is sick so much. I often think that the "invisible" health issues are worse than the obvious ones, because people expect too much of kids who LOOK healthy. I wasn't as sick as your DD, but have/have had my own set of chronic health problems. It's a hard spot to be in.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#5 of 108 Old 06-05-2010, 03:00 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My first thought upon reading this was that if I saw a 5 year old in a stroller all the time, I'd think she had some sort of health issue that necessitated it. But if I only saw her in it some of the time, I'd figure she had a reason for wanting to ride in it--I mean strollers are kind of fun, how long can we get to ride in a thing with wheels, being pushed around by mom? Sometimes I have a nostalgia for pushing my kids in strollers.

Or else I'd think this was a mom who wanted to exercise and needed her child to be able to keep up. My next door neighbor used to put her 5 year old in a stroller all the time to walk her older children to school. Sure, he could walk, but if she didn't want it to take two hours, it was easier to take the stroller.
#6 of 108 Old 06-05-2010, 03:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
i hope our stroller will last until my kids are about 5 & 3, we have a double jogger but the weight limit is 100lbs. i would have no issue with an older kid riding in stroller as long as they were happy about it/fine with it

mama to one '07 and one '09
#7 of 108 Old 06-05-2010, 03:27 AM

Gosh, I wouldn't think anything of it. My girls are 5 and if I break out a stroller, they fight over who gets to sit in it. They're more than happy to be pushed around the zoo. I don't think a 5 year old in a stroller is odd at all. Oh and if I was willing to wear my 5 year olds, they'd clamor to be on my back in a carrier, too.

SAHM to F & P, : fraternal twins born 3/05, : I, born 12/07 & at 5 weeks in July 2009
#8 of 108 Old 06-05-2010, 03:41 AM

I wouldn't think anything about it.
#9 of 108 Old 06-05-2010, 03:50 AM

I would feel jealous! I miss the days when I could use a stroller with my oldest. And he rode in it some when he was four. Five would not seem particularly old to me. I think you shouldn't feel self-conscious about anyting that gives her more freedom and enjoyment. I'm sorry she's been so sick.

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#10 of 108 Old 06-05-2010, 05:45 AM

I wouldn't think anything of it to be perfectly honest!

My son was in a pushchair until just over the age of 4 (and hes big for his age - so he looked much older!). I often worried that other people would judge that - but you know what...it was for my sons benefit and we were not hurting anyone!
We don't have a car you see - so we walk everywhere. And lets face it...any 4 year old would have a hard time walking 3 miles somewhere - spending the time there - and then walking that back again! So we still very much needed the pushchair - even if it was just to carry our stuff sometimes! hehe

There are people out there that will judge you. I have seen threads - here on MDC and on other types of forums where people think it is rediculous to have a child over the age of TWO in a pushchair still! It is SO silly! People drive cars as well to save themselves having to walk long distances - or take a bus, or whatever. Its no different! Try not to worry about what other people think (easier said than done I know!) - but you are doing what is right and best for the one you love and that is all that matters!

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#11 of 108 Old 06-05-2010, 07:08 AM

I would think that there was some sort of health issue that I couldn't see. In fact, when I saw a 5ish boy being pushed onto the bus last week, that is exactly what I thought!

The incredibly true adventures of two girls in love. Also starring DS babyf.gif12/09 and dog2.gif!

#12 of 108 Old 06-05-2010, 07:32 AM

I wouldn't really think anything of it because you never know the reason behind it however when my dads gf kept putting Tazmin in a pram at that age i did say something to her but that was totally different Tazmin quite clearly did not want to be in the pram and Tracy was just making her go in it to make life easier for her self also Tracy's sister puts her 9 yo in a baby pram too and she is way to big for it and has no health problems what so ever.

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

#13 of 108 Old 06-05-2010, 07:53 AM

I wouldn't think anything of it. Yesterday my 7yo and 5yo were in the stroller at the grocery store, neither of them have any health (or other) issues, but my 7yo left one of his shoes at school and my 5yo just couldn't resist since no one else wanted to ride. My 5yo rides in the stroller fairly regularly, though, and I never notice anyone looking at us funny or saying anything to us.
#14 of 108 Old 06-05-2010, 07:54 AM

I think regaurdless of what ANYONE thinks, your daughter has a condition that requires it. Therefore, WHO CARES what other people think. Your daughter has a right to be outside, by any means necessary.

That said, if I saw someone walking with a 5 year old in a stroller who seemed fine and healthy, I would assume there was a good reason for it that I know nothing about (like in your case) and go about my day. I wouldnt pass judgement.

Now ask me that 5 years ago, and my answer might have been different. Becoming a parent is a very humbling experience.
#15 of 108 Old 06-05-2010, 08:14 AM

to you both

I would never think anything bad at all! My 4 year old, soon to be 5 year old, loves riding in the double stroller. We walk for miles and she gets out and does some of it and then gets back in to rest.
You know, I guess it would make me take notice of it only if the stroller seemed too small for the child. Otherwise I just figure they want to ride.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#16 of 108 Old 06-05-2010, 08:18 AM

wouldn't think a thing about it. Sometimes kids want to ride and sometimes they want to walk. Nothing wrong with it. Our stroller goes up to 65 lbs and I am sure DS will be riding it when he is 5 too. He loves going for rides in the stroller. When we go on outings we always see older kids in strollers nothing strange about it.

Fun loving crunchy mommy to an amazing outgoing adventurous boy named Logan Cloud 2/2/07 and our little ball of energy Jayden Edge 11/28/10 and wife to Jet 7/3/05 expecting our third 09/21/14

}
#17 of 108 Old 06-05-2010, 08:39 AM

I don't know. We used to live in a place where we saw a lot of bored-looking older kids in strollers who seemed to be there purely for the parents' convenience. It bugged me because it was part of a larger culture of restrictive and not-health-conscious parenting. My gut reaction was to let the kid walk! I had a walking 1-year-old at the time, and she wasn't happy in the stroller, so I could only imagine that a lot of those older kids would have rather been on a longer leash, so to speak.

However I always tried to make allowances for the fact that some of those kids might have had health issues or disabilities that weren't obvious. It all depends on context.
#18 of 108 Old 06-05-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherB View Post
I wouldn't think much of it, especially if the stroller is an appropriate size for her. A big kid in a tiny stroller looks odd and disproportionate, but there are plenty of bigger strollers that are suitable for bigger kids. My own 5yo likes to sit in our stroller, though he doesn't often get to ride because the 2yo needs to be kept safe!

We have a Maclaren Techno XLR that I got *specifically* so my bigger kids could ride in it. It is nice and wide and has a higher weight limit. Our jogging stroller, a Joovy Zoom, is rather short for the big kids (if you want to use the canopy), but also has a high weight limit. I opted for that over cheaper models because I have bigger kids who also like to ride now and then.

I'm sorry your DD is sick so much. I often think that the "invisible" health issues are worse than the obvious ones, because people expect too much of kids who LOOK healthy. I wasn't as sick as your DD, but have/have had my own set of chronic health problems. It's a hard spot to be in.
I sooo agree with this. My ds has a heart defect and the number one thing the cardiologist always tells us is to follow his lead in terms of exercise/activity level. If he is tired we NEED to listen to that and carry him/stroller him/etc. Now, having said that...so far he is EXTREMELY active and actually hates being in a stroller so we haven't really had to deal with that, but when and if he needs it we will provide it. It is SO hard with the "invisible" health issues!! He is also more likey for a bunch of other problems with learning/writing etc. but seems to be fine and maybe even ahead a bit on those areas but he's also more likely to have trouble with impulse control and we DO see that. I think sometimes ppl look at him and think "why would an almost three year old run towards the road/climb on a table/etc" and it's hard!

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#19 of 108 Old 06-05-2010, 08:46 AM

My son is 6 and we've just retired the stroller about 6 months ago. So he did ride in it when he was 5. DS has ASD and I often needed the stroller to keep him contained and not run away from me. He's gotten much better at this over recent months, which is why I allow him more freedom now.

Another mom I know has a child with hypotonia who tires quickly. He rode in a stroller past age 6 because he couldn't walk far easily.

So when I see an older kid in a stroller, I generally think that the child may have special needs.

Lolly
Mom to an amazing little guy, age 9 (Autism, Hyperlexia, Dyspraxia, Albinism, Chromosome Microdeletion)

#20 of 108 Old 06-05-2010, 09:02 AM

I would figure that the mama knew best and it wasn't any of my business. I am sorry you're feeling like people are judging you.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#21 of 108 Old 06-05-2010, 09:06 AM

I wouldn't think anything, but I've thought/wished I still had a stroller for my dd who is almost 5. She's always been somewhat low tone and gets tired easily walking around a lot. She rides in carts all the time still. I get weird looks and got flack from a friend when I mentioned I'd probably rent a stroller for her if we went to an amusement park.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#22 of 108 Old 06-05-2010, 09:22 AM

My neuro-/behaviour-typical 4.5yo likes to ride a stroller. Eh, He walks some distance, rides some. In malls etc he likes to be able to just sit and watch rather than rifle thru racks. Whatever. I don't care. (nor have I had a need to, honestly).

If you DO care, how about getting a wagon for her? It allows them to ride but still look not-babyish? Just a suggestion...
#23 of 108 Old 06-05-2010, 09:27 AM

I would think nothing of it. I'm not a judgmental person. That's just not me. If you are wearing an outfit that others think is over the top (sexy shoes at school or something) I wouldn't bat an eye either. I would not whisper to friends and roll my eyes. (I think that reaction is more rude that the first "offense".) Again, just me.

And people who do judge - who cares? That is their problem.

That being said, my almost 6-year-old daughter loves the stroller. No health issues, but she likes to ride in it sometimes because she says she gets tired.

I have a friend who would tell me (when our girls were 3-4) "isn't she too old to be riding in the stroller all the time?" Um, no. Her daughter was walking everywhere and never complaining. COOL! My daughter wasn't like that. Chill, girlfriend.

My DH is complaining to me that "Isn't she too old for this?" and my answer is no. I love my reclining Maclaren! So does DD.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#24 of 108 Old 06-05-2010, 10:10 AM

If the kid was bigger than your average stroller rider I might have a passing curious thought wondering why, but I'd assume there was a reason or maybe that the kid isn't as old as they seem.

Honestly I probably wouldn't even notice. One of the main things being a parent has taught me is that parenting is hard and I'm in no place to be judgmental based on passing observations of others.

I'm sorry your LO is sick and hope relief and/or healing comes quickly her.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#25 of 108 Old 06-05-2010, 11:00 AM
MJB

If I saw a 5yo in a stroller I would assume they had special needs.
#26 of 108 Old 06-05-2010, 11:06 AM

I'd wonder if she wasn't as healthy as she appeared or if there was some reason why she was in the stroller.

I'm just basing this on kids I know, but none of them would happily ride in a stroller at that age, so I'd assume there was a reason for it.
#27 of 108 Old 06-05-2010, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I'm immediately judgemental and then remind myself that the child could need to be in a stroller for any number of reasons, and it works.

The only time I struggled with this is when there was no space on the bus to get another mama with a newborn in a stroller on, because a man with a school-aged child in an enormous stroller was taking up a lot of space and got on first. I had to tell myself that it was no different than if that child was in a wheelchair, but I have to admit, I thought he should get off to let the new mama on first.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#28 of 108 Old 06-05-2010, 11:17 AM

My DD will turn 5 next month and sometimes she rides in a stroller. She's perfectly healthy, but I like to walk a lot and I walk fast, and sometimes she'd rather ride. Yes, I carried her for a long time (Mei Tai and ring sling), but I'm wearing her sister now. Plus, it's 90 degrees here. It's no one else's business.

I'm so sorry your daughter is sick so often! It must be really hard on her and on your family.

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#29 of 108 Old 06-05-2010, 11:22 AM

I have a special needs five year old who looks normal (I think). I usually carry her on my hip everywhere, but she does still ride in strollers. So I think nothing of it when I see other five year olds in strollers.

I have had people tell me to "make that kids walk" or "she's too old to be in that stroller". My response is usually to tell them "thanks for the tip" or "I'll think about that". If it's a bad day and they're super rude, they may just get a middle finger.

Don't worry about other people OP. They will always find something to gripe about. It's not worth the stress of worrying about it.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#30 of 108 Old 06-05-2010, 11:41 AM

Depends:
Generally, I'd figure you've been doing more walking than I know about or she's got some medical reason to need a stroller.

If you were yelling at her though, then I'd probably judge you for using a stroller to strap your kid down and judge society for making you thing that harnesses are "only for dogs"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page