Mornings - Does your kids get up before you? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-10-2010, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My kids (3 and almost 4 months) tend to wake up around 6 or earlier. The baby will often go back to sleep but the 3 year old bounces around bugging me. I sometimes persuade him to play in his room for an hour but usually I just try to doze in between the questions and the bounces. It sucks because I really need that sleep. The baby wakes up to nurse quite often from about 2-6am. Oh well. This too shall pass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by childsplay View Post
When we lived on our boat my now 7 year old, who was 5 at the time used to have us set an alarm clock for him each night for 6:30am. It would go off, he'd roll out of his bunk, get dressed, fasten his lifevest and go out on deck to do some fishing. He'd sit on the aft deck, right above our cabin so we could hear him and if he needed us he'd just call down. He'd be out there singing, muttering, calling out "morning!" to people going by in dinghys, even the odd curse if his line tangled, as he casted and reeled over and over. We used to call him the old man.
Kind of off topic but reading this brought a tear to my eye. I lived on a boat when I was 7 and I did the same thing as your son. I used to wake up, go walk down to the beach to get fiddler crabs (bait), go back to the boat (or other fave fishing spots) and fish all day long. It was the best time in my life. Your son will thank you for that opportunity, I'm sure, when he is older.

Lauren- geek.gif Hippie belly.gif wife to  S Mum to : babyf.gif D 11/09 and due end of August!

lactivist.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gifhomebirth.jpgsaynovax.gif

Old 06-10-2010, 05:38 PM

I dream of the day that mine will wake up and find something to do on his own.

During the week I'm up a good 1.5 hours before him...on the weekend I have a human alarm clock.
"Mom. Mom. I see sun. It's gonna be a beautiful day. Get up. Now. Meep! Meep! Meep! Mom. I sound like your alarm clock. Mom?"
Covers get pulled off...

And so, the nonstop weekend talking begins.....Lol.

...but I'm up just as early when he's not with me.

Center
Old 06-10-2010, 06:24 PM

My kids (esp my 5 yr old) quite often get up before either dh or myself. She can easily get up, fix herself a snack, and busy herself drawing or whatever (usually drawing). On the weekends both kids go downstairs together and watch cartoons for a little bit until we get up.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

Old 06-10-2010, 07:35 PM

DS wakes baby and I up every morning. He wont leave the room until we are up...i think mainly because he is a mommy suck and he likes to eat right away. I wouldnt let him help himself yet..much to young and I would hate the mess

erica.mommy to korbin (july 11/07) + taylor (june 21/09)
Old 06-10-2010, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
On weekdays, it's crucial to my sanity that I am up, showered, dressed, and fed before the kids get up. Getting to shower/dress alone and then having 20 minutes to eat and surf the web set the tone for the whole day, and on the rare days when I have to shower with the kids underfoot and then eat bites of breakfast in between doing stuff for them, the whole day just doesn't seem to go as smoothly.

On weekends, my 5yo DS is usually the first one awake (around 7am), and so far he still comes to wake us instead of just going downstairs on his own or playing in his room. So DH and I alternate getting up with him on weekends -- I sleep in on Saturdays and DH sleeps in on Sundays.

I gotta say, I kind of long for the day when they can come downstairs and pour themselves a bowl of cereal (DS could, but he doesn't want to). DH and I wouldn't sleep the day away or anything, but it'd be awesome to get to get up at 8 both weekend days.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Old 06-11-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illumini View Post
Kind of off topic but reading this brought a tear to my eye. I lived on a boat when I was 7 and I did the same thing as your son. I used to wake up, go walk down to the beach to get fiddler crabs (bait), go back to the boat (or other fave fishing spots) and fish all day long. It was the best time in my life. Your son will thank you for that opportunity, I'm sure, when he is older.

Thank you for sharing that! The children were just talking about 'the good ole' days' over supper last night. It was, for them as well, the best time of their little lives - and ours too.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:54 PM

DH and I are always the first ones up. But we are real morning people - like get lots of stuff done in the morning types. Dude I'd mow the lawn at 6 am if it wouldn't irritate neighbors, heh... We get up around 5 for work days (because we have to) and on weekends anywhere from 5-7, but the closer to 7 we are the way later it feels. LOL. Our 2yo is usually the next one up, between 6-7, and then our 8yo sometime around 8. Our 10 yo would sleep til noon or later if we let him and always complains, since we end up waking him up at 8-9.

But on the flip side, the big kids can stay awake wayyyy later than we do. DH and I are usually out sometime between 9 and 10, with an occassional late night here and there.

signature currently in transition
Old 06-11-2010, 06:00 PM

My son has always been the first one up. I got up with him until he was about 4, I guess, and could fix himself some cereal and was mature enough not to do anything that would tear up the house or get himself hurt.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centura View Post
Just like many of you have said, I think even when I have slept "through" them getting up, I am not really hard asleep, I can always remember hearing them in my subconsious mind. So far, the "worst" that has happened is them deciding to do dishes , I always do the dishes after dinner, but there was some cups in the sink from bedtime snack, and they had "washed" them so good the whole floor was clean!
In the mornings when I'm sleeping, if the kids walk into the kitchen, the pitter patter of little feet wakes me up and I remind them to stay out of there. It's like co-sleeping, I sleep lighter when I know I need to.

User Tag List