I need to vent about my friend - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 70 Old 06-17-2010, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a friend, we're pretty close, not bff's but close, and I babysit her kids during the day while she and her husband work. I'm with them from about 8:30 until 5. They are girls ages 3 and 6. I really like my friend, really. But sometimes I just can't be ok with her attitude about parenting. And I'll admit that I haven't experienced being a working mother, so maybe it's easy for me to pass judgment. But my friend will often pick up her kids and then sit and chat with me for a while after. She says hi to the kids very enthusiastically and then shoos them away so we can talk. I can see the kids just itching to be with her. To hug her and sit on her lap and tell her about their day. She complains about her 6yo being "clingy" and tells her to get off and go play. Her husband often works a second job at night and on those nights she will ask to hang out and have dinner with us because she can't handle (her words) being by herself with the girls. FROM 5:30 TO 8:30!! She is such a confident, fun and outgoing person, I just can't fathom that she wouldn't be able to manage for three hours. And that's the other thing. It's summer and we are doing very active things and it's hot, so the kids really need and want a nap. I don't let any of the kids sleep past 3, so they usually get about 1.5 hour nap. Well, apparently, sometimes this makes the kids stay up an extra hour, so she doesn't want me to let them have naps. So, she wants me to deal with cranky kids all afternoon so she doesn't have to be with them an extra hour at night. When I have a rough day with all the kids, she often comments about how she doesn't know how I can do this every day.

So the real kicker is today, my friend had to go on a business trip for three days. Her husband had to work tonight until 9. So, I suggested the kids just spend the night since they will be right back here in the morning. The kids had been asking for a sleepover and I thought I would try it, knowing it could be rough, and even terrible! It was the 3yo's first time sleeping at someone else's house. So, since either of the girls often start asking for their mom or dad around 4pm....when we were eating dinner, I thought I would send her a text just saying all is well. I got no reply. So, we actually had a really great day. Dinner and bedtime went well and although the kids stayed up late, it was a success! During bedtime, the kids' dad called to say goodnight and make plans for tomorrow, which I thought was totally sweet and thoughtful. My friend didn't call, text or email. I also sent her a little email note telling about what we did all day and how it went and attached a couple of cute pictures of the sleepover. No reply.

I'm just frustrated and confused. Aside from the lack of parenting, my friend's husband does ALL of the housework and all of the cooking, except for crap out of a can. If this were a stranger I would have all sorts of things to say about this woman! But she's my friend, I like her, but I do not get this attitude about parenting. I know there are women out there who choose to work because they feel like they couldn't handle doing the sahm thing, and I get that. But what about after work and when you're on trips? I'm with my kids constantly, but when they go to grandma's, which they've done a million times, I still want to call at the end of the day to see how their day went.

And believe me when I say that I am NOT that sahm that has everything under control. My house is frequently unclean and I'm very often frazzled by squabbling children by the time she gets to my house. So no, I am not holier than though trying to mak her out to be incompetent! I don't want to be judgmental, so I'm venting here instead of out loud to a person IRL!!

Heather-- I'm a <>< SAHM of two fabulous boys 8/05 and 2/07
#2 of 70 Old 06-17-2010, 01:22 AM

You totally have your right to your feelings and reactions to your friend's parenting. For me though, from what you said, I don't really see the big deal as long as her kids seem fine and like they're getting their needs met (or even doing better than just having their needs met). Sure I'd be calling and texting to talk to my girls and make sure all was well if that was me, but unless you actually think the girls feel neglected or sad or it impacts them negatively, I don't really see the big deal.

But since you mostly said you just want to vent, go for it!
#3 of 70 Old 06-17-2010, 01:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hmmm. I'm sorry you're in this position, I would politely decline giving up afternoon naps but otherwise you are sol in this situation. If she has other redeeming qualities
Posted via Mobile Device
#4 of 70 Old 06-17-2010, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LROM View Post
You totally have your right to your feelings and reactions to your friend's parenting. For me though, from what you said, I don't really see the big deal as long as her kids seem fine and like they're getting their needs met (or even doing better than just having their needs met). Sure I'd be calling and texting to talk to my girls and make sure all was well if that was me, but unless you actually think the girls feel neglected or sad or it impacts them negatively, I don't really see the big deal.

But since you mostly said you just want to vent, go for it!
Thank you for affirming my right to vent Yeah, this stuff is not like a deal breaker or anything, just annoying. I guess it's one of those "to each their own," but it's one that I don't get.

#5 of 70 Old 06-17-2010, 01:38 AM

I struggle with depression and I act like your friend does when I'm depressed. Just a thought. It's great that she has a baby-sitter like you!
#6 of 70 Old 06-17-2010, 08:23 AM

If your friend were the husband would you be so upset about her behavior? It sounds like the husband is the dominant parent and housekeeper in their relationship. Sounds like your friend is doing what she needs to do to get by, maybe parenthood was not all she expected it to be.

WRT the naps, I am a SAHM BUT if I worked and told my caregiver not to let my children nap and they did anyway, I would be LIVID. It has a knock-on effect that's pretty awful, here's what happens if DD1 (4yrs) has a nap: she doesn't go to bed til 10 or so (so there's my evening gone) and then sleeps badly and has to be coaxed out of bed to get to school on time. Our morning would be horrendous, full of tears and whining and more of the same after school. She'd be wiped by dinner time and end up in bed by 6:30, then wake up at 5:30am and want to have a nap, which I would have to veto. It would probably take 2 days to recover our schedule. If you are her paid caregiver, you really should respect her wishes.
#7 of 70 Old 06-17-2010, 08:26 AM

Also, perhaps her job is quite stressful and she needs to decompress when she finishes--just half an hour without any demands, and that's why she wants to chat with you while her kids play.
#8 of 70 Old 06-17-2010, 08:30 AM

Just a suggestion. When the kids are tired and cranky in the afternoon, in lou of a nap, perhaps some quiet play time or a (gasp) movie. Just a thought. Some kids can recharge with just some RR rather then actual sleep.
#9 of 70 Old 06-17-2010, 08:35 AM

I have a friend like this - but it is my bff, and it has started to impact our relationship - we both work, and I'm struggling with not being judgemental because "I know what it's like", ykwim? You totally have a right to vent. I, personally, can't imagine not calling my kids if I were to have to be away from them - my friend never calls. I asked her why, and she said it makes it harder for her dd - when they just "disappear" she's fine. When they call to check in, she has a very hard time settling down (she's 7).

I do agree with pp's though on napping - if she doesn't want them too, I wouldn't nap them. Our DCP has moved to naps a few times a week, which works well for us and for her - something to consider? Or, can you nap your kids, but let hers stay up (our DCP always does this - some kids never nap, like my DS, while some always do, like my DD).

I think parenting differences in friendships issues are so hard.
#10 of 70 Old 06-17-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace and Granola View Post
So the real kicker is today, my friend had to go on a business trip for three days. Her husband had to work tonight until 9. So, I suggested the kids just spend the night since they will be right back here in the morning. The kids had been asking for a sleepover and I thought I would try it, knowing it could be rough, and even terrible! It was the 3yo's first time sleeping at someone else's house. So, since either of the girls often start asking for their mom or dad around 4pm....when we were eating dinner, I thought I would send her a text just saying all is well. I got no reply. So, we actually had a really great day. Dinner and bedtime went well and although the kids stayed up late, it was a success! During bedtime, the kids' dad called to say goodnight and make plans for tomorrow, which I thought was totally sweet and thoughtful. My friend didn't call, text or email. I also sent her a little email note telling about what we did all day and how it went and attached a couple of cute pictures of the sleepover. No reply.
It could be that she was tied up when she received your text (it is a business trip), and by the time she was available to reply - it was late. I don't text people after the hour I would call them - I use my cell as an alarm, so the volume is up enough that a text would wake me. So I don't do it to others, in case it is a similar situation. Just a thought.
#11 of 70 Old 06-17-2010, 11:37 AM

For napping id just say the kids are too cranky when you don't let them nap. If you don't want to deal with cranky kids and she doesn't want naps then the kids need a new sitter. You don't have to give in because she's paying you just know that she may have to find someone else.
#12 of 70 Old 06-17-2010, 12:05 PM

It could be depression.

I am also a working mother with two girls, mine are ages 6 and 3. While I can not, of course, explain your friend's feelings maybe I can help explain some of the feelings I have and you can see if this relates to how she handles things

There is just so much to do at the end of the day that I can totally see how if a friend watched my kids I'd be tempted to hang and chat with her as opposed to go home and cram everything that needs to be done into the small window before bedtime. I do it because it has to get done, but if I was overwhelmed or feeling depressed I'd have even more reason to want to ignore reality.

I can't stand when my kids try to climb all over me when I first get off work, especially my 7 year old. She is just too big and it irritates me. I need to decompress. I'd like to do it on the couch, but I can do it by cooking too. Yesterday my 7 year old came and snuggled against me and started asking to 'help.' Under any other circumstances I have fun cooking with the kids, but not dinner time on a work day. She knows this, and I told her to "Beat it."

I love going on business trips. I have two a year. I get a big bed and room and bathroom all to myself. I get a TV. I dont' have to worry about cleaning or someone taking it as an invitation to nurse every single time I sit down. I also don't have cell phone service at one of the hotels where we stay. Not saying that's what happened here.

You have a right to set a schedule and stick to it at your childcare but she needs to know this. Could you compromise and push nap back a half hour or an hour? I can't imagine telling my daycare that my dd wasn't going to nap anymore. They'd tell me to find another daycare.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#13 of 70 Old 06-17-2010, 12:25 PM

Of course you have the right to vent and to feel as you do. It can be really disturbing to be on the observing side of something that you don't "get". Especially since, by definition, you are only seeing the partial picture.

On the practical side ofw hat you have said -- I would negotiate on the nap thing. Is there an alternative she would accept? Can you make naps earlier? Do your kids still need a nap and you can use that as an 'excuse" for enforced (gently) quiet time? I definitely would make sure she is OK with what you propose, but you should be able to come up with something that works for both of you.

For the pick-up, maybe suggest she take 5 minutes to reconnect with the kids while you deal with yours and then you guys can chat for a few minutes?

In the larger picture, I too struggle with depression and anxiety and it effects my ability to parent the way I would like to. Luckily my kids are old enough now that when we get home I can disappear onto the computer for a little while after we walk in the door and just hide to decompress from work and geer up for home. That's my hardest part of the day, by far. When they were littler and needed my attention immediately after getting home from daycare/preschool, it used to make my skin crawl. Literally. I had to fight the urge to yell and scream and lash out. Far better to spend a few minutes chatting with a friend (or now playing a computer game) than to take that out on the kids who don't understand or deserve that type of reaction. Or to take my out at the time, which usually involved more wine than was good for me. Thank god I have a DH who completely understands what I need at the end of the day and could take some of the pressure off.

So there may be more going on than you know, or even she realizes. Some of us probably aren't the best choices for parents and we cope the best we can. She is so lucky to have a friend who can help and the kids are really lucky to have such a caring sitter.
#14 of 70 Old 06-17-2010, 12:28 PM
2xy

I have been a SAHM, a WOHM, and somewhere in-between (we're homeschoolers, but I WOH).

I work in one of the busiest restaurants in the city, and if everyone started pawing at me the minute I got home, I would be very crabby. I need some quiet time to recharge when I get home. Waitstaff do not generally get breaks. Often, we don't have time to eat, either. When I get home, I usually want food and solitude for a little while.

Conversely, if your friend has some sort of desk job where she works alone most of the time, she might just need to chat with a grownup for a little while. Going from an isolated cube to taking care of small children can be lonesome.

I love my kids and enjoy their company. But I have gone away on work trips, and I didn't call them every single day. Some days I was too busy, and didn't get a chance until after their bedtime. Some days, I *gasp* was off having fun and lost track of time. When my kids were little, I didn't have a cell phone. Interestingly enough, they were secure enough in their dad's care that they didn't fall apart emotionally because of a missed phone call.

I would try to find some sort of middle-ground on the nap issue, although I don't see how a 6yo would need a daily nap....?
#15 of 70 Old 06-17-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabetsoup View Post
If your friend were the husband would you be so upset about her behavior?
Sending the kids off to play after being away from them all day instead of interacting with them? Not being able to handle being the main parent for 3 hours? Letting the spouse, who is also working full-time, handle all the housework? Not calling/email while on a business trip with phone and computer access?

Heck yeah I'd be upset at a husband who acted like that. I'd tell him to man up and be a father already.

I bet a dad like that would call spending time with his own children "babysitting."
#16 of 70 Old 06-17-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen View Post
It could be depression.

I am also a working mother with two girls, mine are ages 6 and 3. While I can not, of course, explain your friend's feelings maybe I can help explain some of the feelings I have and you can see if this relates to how she handles things

There is just so much to do at the end of the day that I can totally see how if a friend watched my kids I'd be tempted to hang and chat with her as opposed to go home and cram everything that needs to be done into the small window before bedtime. I do it because it has to get done, but if I was overwhelmed or feeling depressed I'd have even more reason to want to ignore reality.

I can't stand when my kids try to climb all over me when I first get off work, especially my 7 year old. She is just too big and it irritates me. I need to decompress. I'd like to do it on the couch, but I can do it by cooking too. Yesterday my 7 year old came and snuggled against me and started asking to 'help.' Under any other circumstances I have fun cooking with the kids, but not dinner time on a work day. She knows this, and I told her to "Beat it."

I love going on business trips. I have two a year. I get a big bed and room and bathroom all to myself. I get a TV. I dont' have to worry about cleaning or someone taking it as an invitation to nurse every single time I sit down. I also don't have cell phone service at one of the hotels where we stay. Not saying that's what happened here.

You have a right to set a schedule and stick to it at your childcare but she needs to know this. Could you compromise and push nap back a half hour or an hour? I can't imagine telling my daycare that my dd wasn't going to nap anymore. They'd tell me to find another daycare.
My girls are teens now, but the age difference is the same. This is exactly how I felt when my kids were that age, too. I think most people need time to decompress when they get home from work. My job can be pretty stressful, and I really need some time to "come down" and make the transition.

And oh I hear you about the business trips. Lying in the bathtub reading a book in the glorious silence In ways it was like a mini vacation.

My DH does most of the housework too. However, I do all of the accounting, bill paying, investment planning, food shopping, etc. Every family splits the chores in the way that suits them best.
#17 of 70 Old 06-17-2010, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I think you expressed yourself pretty well. You have very different priorities and you have a hard time understanding hers. That's ok. For what it is worth, I am more in your position and I have trouble understanding that side of things too. I had children because I fanatically wanted to have kids and hang out with them so I just 'don't get' why other people feel differently. Why have kids if you don't want to spend lots of time with them? It's... hard. It's hard not to judge. It's hard to be loving and accepting of people who make very different choices. You aren't a bad person for having mixed feelings. However, if you want to continue this as a working relationship as well as a friendship you probably are going to have to find a way to be ok with her having a completely different approach to life. Otherwise it might be hard for you to be supportive/friendly and you will start actually acting like you judge her and your friendship will be out the window.

I have a lot of sympathy for you. I hope you find a way to feel ok with stuff.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#18 of 70 Old 06-17-2010, 02:36 PM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightkindofme View Post
I had children because I fanatically wanted to have kids and hang out with them so I just 'don't get' why other people feel differently. Why have kids if you don't want to spend lots of time with them?
I had my first because of a birth control failure. I had not planned to be a mother at 21. I'd always had the idea that when I had children (sometime off in the distant future) it would be when I was able to be a SAHP.

Also, I was active duty Navy at the time, so just quitting my job and hanging out with my kid was not an option.
#19 of 70 Old 06-17-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Why have kids if you don't want to spend lots of time with them? It's... hard. It's hard not to judge. It's hard to be loving and accepting of people who make very different choices.
Not to thread-jack, but I have been struggling with this same question lately. Neighbors of ours had the hardest time getting pregnant. She went through all sorts of treatments and miscarriages and FINALLY had a son. And promptly hired a nanny. Then went through the same thing for another year, then had a daughter, and hired another nanny (Those are not typical in my area, it usually means you are of the white collar and above income bracket) They both have businesses, are VERY wealthy, are NEVER EVER HOME, and the nanny lives there 24/7. I JUST.DONT.GETIT. Why go through all that to have someone else raise your kids? Baffles me!

That said, i work full time. When I am on my way to pick up my boys in the afternoons, sometimes I think my heart might BURST before I get there from excitment to see them. Then I might let the older one sit on a chair and help me cook while the little one is at my feat. Am I always like this? NO WAY! All I am saying is, Everyone is different. It takes all kinds.
#20 of 70 Old 06-17-2010, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all. every one of you! I have to say I'm surprised more people on an Attachment Parenting focused board seem so ok with this detached parenting style. Believe me, I get that working moms need the decompression time. And the thing with not wanting to deal with the kids for three hours at night, I would understand that if she had a ton of housework and cooking to do on top of it, I wouldn't want to go home either. The point I was trying to make about her husband doing all the housework, was not to make this a gender role issue, but to say that all she has to do when she goes home a couple nights a week is be.with.her.kids. And yes, if this were the husband I'm sure the women on here would have something to say!

The part that bugs me the most is that after work, if she needs to decompress, maybe she needs to do that before she comes to get them. These girls have been away from their parents for 9 hours. Many days, they start weeping around 4:00 that they want their mom and dad. I just can't imagine being that 6yo and craving mommy's hugs and so badly wanting to tell her about her day and have her mom say, GO AWAY.

the nap thing isn't really an issue, it was just me venting about the fact that the ONLY reason her having a nap at my house is an issue is because it means mom has to be with and deal with her for an extra hour. And this 6yo ASKS ME for a nap! I enforce quiet time at my house where each kid is in a separate room. The 4 and 6yo have books and other activities, I do not force them to sleep. But about 8 out of 10 times when I go to check on her she's asleep. To me, she's telling us she needs a nap. And I hate that I have to do whatever it takes to keep the child awake. And then she's crying at 4 because she wants her mom who will promptly ignore her in an hour and a half.

#21 of 70 Old 06-17-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Why have kids if you don't want to spend lots of time with them? It's... hard. It's hard not to judge.
It is unfortunately very difficult to know what/how you will react to children until you have them. And the way you react to an infant or toddler doesn't necessarily predict your response to a preschooler. Finally, some of us have children knowing full well that our husband's want them more than we do and its a compromise -- "I'll have them and do the best I can but I am going to need lots and lots of help from you to make this work."
#22 of 70 Old 06-17-2010, 04:14 PM

Home childcare is T.O.U.G.H. I definitely understand the need to vent.

What always gets me is when parents tell me they need to bring their kids to me even when the parent has a day off, so that "they can get things done around the house." I understand once in a while, but one of my parents works four days a week, and brings her DD to me five days so that she can have a day to herself. I am pretty sure it is only jealousy on my part, but it really irks me. I would LOVE to have a day to myself to get my house in order but I always have their kids running around.

My view is this - if you WOH you don't have as much time to get housework done. But at the very least your house isn't really any dirtier at 6pm than it was at 8am when you left it, because nobody is home. My house could be pristine at 7am before the kids arrive but will be completely destroyed by 6pm when they are all out the door. So I end up with just as little time to clean up as the WOH mom does, but have way more cleaning to do. So I find it frustrating when parents complain to me that they can't get anything done with their one kid at home - try six!!

At the same time, this is my job and I am grateful for the income and they are paying me to take care of their kids. But I too need to vent myself every once in a while.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#23 of 70 Old 06-17-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
BUT if I worked and told my caregiver not to let my children nap and they did anyway, I would be LIVID.
Having had a home childcare myself, I can say that in a daycare situation where it isn't a nanny at your home, you kinda have to deal with your children being on the same schedule as the other children in the house. When I had eight children during the day, I wouldn't have moved lunchtime or naptime because a parent wanted to be accomodated. (Obviously if a child was tired, I would let them nap regardless of the time.)

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#24 of 70 Old 06-17-2010, 04:55 PM

I understand that she needs to decompress after work but I'd gather you do too after your day of work. Taking care of children that aren't your own is a job and it's a hard one too (ime). I would be so tapped out by the end of the day and having to socialize and not get to decompress myself made the job so much harder for me. I got the attitude that I was already at home with mine so what's one more...well one more was a hell of a lot! And some people (including the child's parents) still didn't consider me a working mom.
You work full time too just like your friend does and her needs to decompress shouldn't surpass yours. I would feel put upon and need to vent as well.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#25 of 70 Old 06-17-2010, 05:14 PM

I agree with the frustration but I have one question...

How do you not let a child nap? I mean, if a child is tired and their little body is telling them they need to rest, how do you keep that from happening? My little son has fallen asleep at the kitchen table while eating on days when he's resisted napping but needed one. I just can't fathom how you keep a tired child awake?
#26 of 70 Old 06-17-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_lily View Post
My view is this - if you WOH you don't have as much time to get housework done. But at the very least your house isn't really any dirtier at 6pm than it was at 8am when you left it, because nobody is home. My house could be pristine at 7am before the kids arrive but will be completely destroyed by 6pm when they are all out the door. So I end up with just as little time to clean up as the WOH mom does, but have way more cleaning to do. So I find it frustrating when parents complain to me that they can't get anything done with their one kid at home - try six!!

At the same time, this is my job and I am grateful for the income and they are paying me to take care of their kids. But I too need to vent myself every once in a while.
the way i look at it is i could NEVER watch other ppl's children (i don't know how you do it!) so the childcare providers who do must LIKE watching kids, right???? unless they were "closed" (maybe you need a "closed" day) one day a week, i would assume they wanted to watch the kids every day???? i have a sitter one day a week so i can get things done (freelance writing work or housework or whatever) or just do nothing. i figure it's her job and i can do whatever i want while she's babysitting. so what i'm saying is that these parents probably think you want the working hours and that you like watching kids or being with kids a lot, unlike them. ykwim?
i'm one of those moms who needs time away from the kids. i can't be with them 24/7. i'm not seeing a really big issue with OP's friend. she sounds like most moms i know. we need time to be with our friends, time away from the kids, etc.

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

#27 of 70 Old 06-17-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace and Granola View Post
Thank you all. every one of you! I have to say I'm surprised more people on an Attachment Parenting focused board seem so ok with this detached parenting style.
Why would you be surprised that people who ascribe to AP, which is ultimately about being able to put yourself in your child's shoes, are also able and willing to be empathetic to another mom's feelings and/or situation? Or that they tend to respond to what seems like judgement, regardless of how you're saying that you're not judging this person--since most AP people have felt the sting of someone judging them at some point?

To me, the folks who practice AP (and not just a checklist) tend to be very easily able to have empathy for other people--even when they disagree.
#28 of 70 Old 06-17-2010, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post
I had my first because of a birth control failure. I had not planned to be a mother at 21. I'd always had the idea that when I had children (sometime off in the distant future) it would be when I was able to be a SAHP.

Also, I was active duty Navy at the time, so just quitting my job and hanging out with my kid was not an option.
I feel like I didn't communicate well. I don't think that all mothers need/should be stay at home parents. I really don't. I absolutely 100% get that some people have to work and some people really want to work. That makes sense to me. My husband has to work. But he comes home at night because he really really wants to see our kid. He goes to extreme effort to spend time with her as much as he can. Folks who don't behave like my husband are the ones who confuse me--not people who have to work.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#29 of 70 Old 06-17-2010, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Not calling during the sleepover doesn't seem like a huge deal to me, my kids go to grandma's for the weekend and I try to remember to call, but often I'm distracted and end up forgetting. My mom calls if they really want to talk to me, but they're usually pretty happy and don't care BUT, the part about not being able to handle being alone with her kids for 3 measly hours seems pretty absurd. And sorry, but I don't buy for a second that if roles were reversed and this was the DAD acting this way (not being able to watch the kids without help, not doing any housework or cooking) that people wouldn't be irate about it.

I've been a wohm and I get not wanting kids all over you the moment you get home, but I sucked it up and dealt with it, because the kids needed it. I don't have a lot of empathy for the "me first" attitude of our culture
#30 of 70 Old 06-17-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
My husband has to work. But he comes home at night because he really really wants to see our kid. He goes to extreme effort to spend time with her as much as he can. Folks who don't behave like my husband are the ones who confuse me--not people who have to work.
my husband is like that he's a better mom than i am LOL i mean to say that he's nurturing and fun and all that great stuff.

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page