Not sure what to do... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 07-02-2010, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
While it is just a material object, if I am paying for something and someone else damages it heck yeah I want it fixed. More so when it is something of that nature.

As far as the police report in most cases it is needed when the damage is over a certain amount. A officer won't be able to look and say well it is totaled but the report starts the paper trail, better for all parties.

I do highly suggest taking your own pictures as well.
#32 of 46 Old 07-02-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen'nZoe View Post
See, I'd be wary of having my insurance rates go up, or being dropped from my insurance company over a relatively small claim...
I agree. We made the mistake of claiming a door some kids kicked in one night. They covered all of $100.00 of the $1200.00 claim and then when it was time for renewal, they raised our yearly rates by $1200.00. We switched companies and learned our lesson!

As for the car damage, I can easily see something small like that being $900.00 in our area and I can also have at least two quotes by the end of the day were I to start shopping around now.

Sorry she used you as a dumping group, she obviously sees the group of kids you son hangs out with as trouble, whether justifiably or not. Sometimes some of the kids cause the trouble, while the quieter ones hang back, but when your property is being damaged or your animal being pestered, you're not so quick to go through it with a fine toothed comb, you just want it to stop. I'd just try to put myself in her shoes. I know if anyone was harassing my dog on my property, I'd be fit to be tied. Seems like she's having a hard time with the neighbourhood too.

So all that said, while she shouldn't have vented and unless she had a specific accusation, just dealt with the truck, she does have a reason to be irate about her truck and you guys do have a responsibility to pay.

Don't trust anyone under 5! Mom to 3 boys under 5. Blogging to save my sanity.
#33 of 46 Old 07-02-2010, 01:20 PM

1. Definitely ask for a copy of this $900 estimate, then ask for two more...one to be done at a repair shop of your choosing.

2. I agree that the scooter shouldn't necessarily be gone, but if it is then the $$ goes towards the repairs.

3. Get pictures ASAP, and I wouldn't hand over ANY money until there's an agreement IN WRITING between you and they that details how much is being paid, how often, and exactly what it covers, AND that it releases you from further liability.

4. Consider contacting your auto insurance-they really aren't likely to drop for this, they rarely drop for anything. But it really would help to have someone else on your side evaluating things and keeping it fair.

I agree your son is responsible for it, and it is awesome you are on board with that also, but at the same time it's not the end of the world as these people know it. What a headache!

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#34 of 46 Old 07-02-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyMarie View Post
I also wonder how they managed to get a written estimate that fast.
Here there is a shop that has a "drive thru" estimate. You literally drive through the one side, stop and someone comes out and gets info, looks at it, and gives you a written estimate. I did this when one of the dad's of the daycare kids where I worked backed into my car last summer. It's very convenient It is also at a very reputable place too, not some junky place out for a quick buck (estimate was free).

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#35 of 46 Old 07-02-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotablue View Post
you trust your insurance company? Mine gave us great suggestions of repair places when our car was hit. then again I really love mine (USAA) they would know the better priced trustworthy places.
Yes, I have USAA for both auto and home. I had them for renter's before we bought.

I've only made one homeowners insurance claim, but it was a doozy. Roof replacement for hail damage, repairs needed before we sold. USAA paid for everything and kept covering us. I think my premium on the new house is lower, but there's a lot of OTHER variables (different state, no hurricanes, etc.) that factor into that.

Unitarian Universalist Pagan
#36 of 46 Old 07-02-2010, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoretica View Post
1. Definitely ask for a copy of this $900 estimate, then ask for two more...one to be done at a repair shop of your choosing.

2. I agree that the scooter shouldn't necessarily be gone, but if it is then the $$ goes towards the repairs.

3. Get pictures ASAP, and I wouldn't hand over ANY money until there's an agreement IN WRITING between you and they that details how much is being paid, how often, and exactly what it covers, AND that it releases you from further liability.

4. Consider contacting your auto insurance-they really aren't likely to drop for this, they rarely drop for anything. But it really would help to have someone else on your side evaluating things and keeping it fair.

I agree your son is responsible for it, and it is awesome you are on board with that also, but at the same time it's not the end of the world as these people know it. What a headache!
Wow! I came back to the thread to a bunch of posts - lol. That's a good thing - lots of good advice for me - thanks!

I love this summary of everything - I think I'm going to print it out. We did get pictures the other day. We have a copy of the estimate and they verbally agreed to get more. We don't have a copy of the police report yet, but they said they'd get it to us. Further complicating things is that the guy left for two months for military training. The truck is not parked there anymore, though he had told us he was leaving it there. They are not a married couple and the truck is his, so we are not going to go through the girlfriend.

I'm not sure what we should do at this point. Just wait for him to get back and contact us? I thought I'd write up a summary of what happened and keep it with the copy of the estimate we have and wait it out. We haven't called our insurance company and probably won't. We also intend on having someone of our choosing give an estimate.

We are absolutely taking responsibility for it and my son is going to help pay for it, though my husband and I decided that he won't pay the full amount. He will pay some towards it, though and we will cover the rest.

We still have the scooter and are undecided about what to do with it. It is off limits for now. We may just keep it and allow my oldest son to ride it when his dad is outside with him supervising.
#37 of 46 Old 07-02-2010, 04:18 PM

I love Theoretica's advice. Her filing the police report does not bother me. Since they don't know you well she may not know what your reaction would have been regarding paying for the damage to their truck. I also think insurance companies need a police report for their files.

Definitely take pictures ASAP.
#38 of 46 Old 07-02-2010, 04:18 PM

Well, she sounds like a fun lady.

It's very unfortunate that this happened. I feel bad for your son for having to help pay for the damage, and YES, I would ask them for the estimate, and then I'd want to see the receipt for the work done before giving them money.

You are responsible for the damage done, and it's a really good lesson for your son. Maybe even worth the money (or try to pretend it is) But, it's lousy that she's being a difficult neighbor.

When you don't have kids, or your kids are grown, other people's kid are more of a nuisance than you'd think. I really don't like kids hanging out around my house either. My kids are grown, and I wish they'd play somewhere else too. But, I don't think i'd let it bother me as much as she's letting it bother her. She's obviously very tightly wound.
#39 of 46 Old 07-02-2010, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet2 View Post
Well, I would certainly not trust them any time soon. Their behavior seems quite two faced.
I don't see it as two faced-- it sound like the husband didn't realize how much the fix would be, they got an estimate, and were upset by it.

Around here the police report would be overkill, but perhaps they didn't think they would get paid otherwise.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#40 of 46 Old 07-02-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post
I don't see it as two faced-- it sound like the husband didn't realize how much the fix would be, they got an estimate, and were upset by it.

Around here the police report would be overkill, but perhaps they didn't think they would get paid otherwise.
Ya. I thought it seemed like a waste of police time, but maybe it is the only way to make a claim?

We don't park in the street because it's the only place for the kids on the block to play, so we think ahead, and assume eventually something would happen to the car.
#41 of 46 Old 07-02-2010, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twocoolboys View Post
Further complicating things is that the guy left for two months for military training. The truck is not parked there anymore, though he had told us he was leaving it there.
That stinks. So now they cannot provide you with two other estimates. Does this also mean he won't be getting it repaired until he gets back? Or is it possible that the truck is being repaired currently and that's why it's not parked there?

It's a real shame the girlfriend chose to go off on you like that. That was not fair at all. I don't think there is anything you can do to fix that. But now you know what kind of person she is.

I also want to add that I'd be highly upset if an angry neighbor came at me with the words 'police report' in connection to my child and the same angry neighbor dumped, however indirectly, all her frustrations onto my child. (Though I completely agree, the police report protects everybody.) Again, now you know what she's like.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#42 of 46 Old 07-02-2010, 09:32 PM

I know for my car insurance, I have to have a police report filed. Even though I agree that it seems to waste police time. I would only deal with the man, if I were you, OP, not his girlfriend.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#43 of 46 Old 07-02-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcommercial View Post
Ya. I thought it seemed like a waste of police time, but maybe it is the only way to make a claim?
well in the event that it needs to go to small claimsits better to have a police report. i only have liability so if someone damaged my car it would be on them to pay. also if its legal i see nothing wrong with parking on street. the street isnt a playground.
Posted via Mobile Device

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#44 of 46 Old 07-02-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlla View Post
well in the event that it needs to go to small claimsits better to have a police report. i only have liability so if someone damaged my car it would be on them to pay. also if its legal i see nothing wrong with parking on street. the street isnt a playground.
Posted via Mobile Device
There's nothing at all wrong with parking on the street. We just don't do it because that's where the neighbor kids play. (there really is no other place to play) so, it's just easier to park on the driveway or in the garage. Plus we have the space to do that.

I did say in my first post, that I think the boy's family is financially responsible. It's just a crummy situation all the way around.
#45 of 46 Old 07-03-2010, 12:40 AM

I would ask my child to pay 1/2
900 is more when you're a child.
He probably should have been supervised on it for his safety, so it's not totally his fault; not TRYING to make to feel bad!

They don't sound entirely nice. Maybe she'll get a good sleep and will see things differently in the am....
so sorry.

::::
Welsh Mummy to My long awaited beautiful boy and girl. Proud Wife of my best friend.
#46 of 46 Old 07-03-2010, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twocoolboys View Post
Wow! I came back to the thread to a bunch of posts - lol. That's a good thing - lots of good advice for me - thanks!

I love this summary of everything - I think I'm going to print it out. We did get pictures the other day. We have a copy of the estimate and they verbally agreed to get more. We don't have a copy of the police report yet, but they said they'd get it to us. Further complicating things is that the guy left for two months for military training. The truck is not parked there anymore, though he had told us he was leaving it there. They are not a married couple and the truck is his, so we are not going to go through the girlfriend.

I'm not sure what we should do at this point. Just wait for him to get back and contact us? I thought I'd write up a summary of what happened and keep it with the copy of the estimate we have and wait it out. We haven't called our insurance company and probably won't. We also intend on having someone of our choosing give an estimate.

glad about that... sorry; i posted, then read!!!

We still have the scooter and are undecided about what to do with it. It is off limits for now. We may just keep it and allow my oldest son to ride it when his dad is outside with him supervising.

good luck with it all

::::
Welsh Mummy to My long awaited beautiful boy and girl. Proud Wife of my best friend.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page