awkward conversation - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 120 Old 07-09-2010, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightkindofme View Post
I'm pretty sure this doesn't qualify as a McMansion only because it is too weird, but if I ever win the lottery I am totally buying this house. I really won't care that people will think I have too many bathrooms. I would be able to host the coolest parties ever in the history of ever.
I wouldn't want four floors, but I like the layout, in general.

The price is ugly, but I know what you mean. We definitely have places around here that run for that. I don't think we're as pricey as San Francisco, but I don't think I've seen a house - not even a rundown, small, old one - offered for less than $600,000 in several years.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#92 of 120 Old 07-09-2010, 02:57 PM

I'd rather have one bathroom than bad manners.
#93 of 120 Old 07-09-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightkindofme View Post
I'm pretty sure this doesn't qualify as a McMansion only because it is too weird, but if I ever win the lottery I am totally buying this house. I really won't care that people will think I have too many bathrooms. I would be able to host the coolest parties ever in the history of ever.

That house is amazing! You could have unbelievable parties there.

I love that this thread has gone from an insensitive comment to real estate postings. Sorry OP!
#94 of 120 Old 07-09-2010, 06:50 PM

Isn't Bill Gates a college dropout?

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#95 of 120 Old 07-10-2010, 12:33 AM

I just have to point out that even if you did have 6 bathrooms, you couldn't all take a shower at once without somebody being cold. I know this from my parents and friends houses.

I dont care how many bathrooms you have, but if you think that makes you better than me, I take offense to that.
I may only have one bathroom. but I am a full time working adult who makes good money and I am the daughter of a doctor.
Just don't judge, cause you have no idea. Thats all I see is the problem here.

Have as many bathrooms as you feel necessary.

ETA: Laila2, my post is not directed towards you at all, its just a general statement. I am not feeling snarky or upset or offended at all. I just like having a good healthy debate. :-)

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

#96 of 120 Old 07-10-2010, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaingirl79 View Post
I just have to point out that even if you did have 6 bathrooms, you couldn't all take a shower at once without somebody being cold. I know this from my parents and friends houses.
I imagine a house with 6 bathrooms would also have some of those neat tankless water heaters- heats the water as you need it, noone gets cold! How I wish I had one of those at my house...
#97 of 120 Old 07-10-2010, 12:58 AM

I dont know, maybe nowadays. LOL I was thinking of when I stayed with my BFF at her dad's house back in the 90's and her mom told us to stagger our showers or we wouldn't have hot water. ( They had 5 bathrooms)

And also when I was a kid we had two and a half baths and my mom would say the same.

I guess your mileage may vary? Or an urban myth? haha

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

#98 of 120 Old 07-10-2010, 01:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Huh... when I lived with my parents there were regularly 12+ people there and I only remember at most once a day where both bathrooms (1.5 of them) were being used at the same time. Most of those were because someone was in the shower in the middle of the day. They're thinking of putting a third one in but never got around to it.

In our apartment though I doubt we even have 6 rooms. Bedroom, living room, kitchen/dining, bathroom, closet, hallway... Exactly 6 actually. Still, even in my aunt and grandma's neighborhoods where houses are easily half a million to a million dollars I've never seen more than 2.5 bathrooms in a house.

(A quick google search shows 6-13 bathroom houses near Lake Austin. 2 million to 13 million dollars. I'm sorry but you need more than a basic college education for those, you need to be a CEO or something.)

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#99 of 120 Old 07-10-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oubliette8 View Post
I imagine a house with 6 bathrooms would also have some of those neat tankless water heaters- heats the water as you need it, noone gets cold! How I wish I had one of those at my house...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaingirl79 View Post
I just have to point out that even if you did have 6 bathrooms, you couldn't all take a shower at once without somebody being cold. I know this from my parents and friends houses. ...
For the record...

We have two gigantic hot water heaters that keep up nicely. I can also run the dishwasher, the washing machine and shower at the same time. Awesome.

They both died (on the same day, thankyouverymuch) last year and we wanted to put in tankless but were told that those do not work for this kind of demand. We'd need a ton of units to even hope to keep up. I guess they are designed for lower-demand set ups. Plus they were very expensive.

Once again, hope I clarified, carry on...
#100 of 120 Old 07-10-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyMarie View Post
For the record...

We have two gigantic hot water heaters that keep up nicely. I can also run the dishwasher, the washing machine and shower at the same time. Awesome.
We've got a tankless hot water heater for our measly 3.5 bathrooms.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#101 of 120 Old 07-10-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngfrankenstein View Post
We've got a tankless hot water heater for our measly 3.5 bathrooms.
Really? Then you'd think we'd just need 2. We had two different companies out here for estimates and they both told us the same thing - that it just would not work for our house and we'd never keep up with demand and that we would not be able to run things at the same time. How odd. Oh well, the two normal ones were about the same cost as one tankless if I remember correctly.
#102 of 120 Old 07-10-2010, 11:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcommercial View Post
Well, how many bathrooms do they have? Was he saying that 1.5 was more than they have? Or less?

I am guilty of telling my daughter "That's why you have to go to college" when a guy dressed up as a hotdog was dancing around in a parking lot in Phoenix on the hottest day of the year.
My college-educated friend spent a summer stint as a baseball mascot. In this economy, anything is possible.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#103 of 120 Old 07-10-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgoddess View Post
Yeah, I'd not send any time with them. The guys behavior makes him sound like an elitist jerk.
He probably grew up poor. It's not an excuse for his behavior. Just a (possible) explanation. Even elitist jerks carry their baggage.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#104 of 120 Old 07-11-2010, 12:03 PM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyMarie View Post
For the record...

We have two gigantic hot water heaters that keep up nicely.
Why do you need to heat your hot water?
#105 of 120 Old 07-11-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momasana View Post
I'd rather have one bathroom than bad manners.
Perfect response!
#106 of 120 Old 07-11-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post
Why do you need to heat your hot water?
Probably for the same reason people need to get their money from ATM machines using their PIN numbers.
#107 of 120 Old 07-11-2010, 12:52 PM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisCat View Post
Probably for the same reason people need to get their money from ATM machines using their PIN numbers.

And the same reason people contract the HPV virus.
#108 of 120 Old 07-11-2010, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post

And the same reason people contract the HPV virus.
Iam sooo lost. Can someone please explain

Decluttering 500/2010
#109 of 120 Old 07-11-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnySlippers View Post
Iam sooo lost. Can someone please explain
They're mocking redundancies. HPV virus = human papillomavirus virus. ATM machine = automatic teller machine machine. PIN number = personal identification number number.

#110 of 120 Old 07-11-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post
They're mocking redundancies. HPV virus = human papillomavirus virus. ATM machine = automatic teller machine machine. PIN number = personal identification number number.

And a water heater heats, well, HOT water.
#111 of 120 Old 07-11-2010, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
oooohhh! got it

Decluttering 500/2010
#112 of 120 Old 07-12-2010, 12:46 PM

I would be offended, but I would also assume that the dude was either very socially oblivious or that his culture is more accepting of this sort of remark/attitude.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#113 of 120 Old 07-12-2010, 04:49 PM

I appreciate a challenge. Thank you for clarifying. I would not discourage my kids from being a doctor. To me blood is not as bad as stuff from the vowels. blood does not smell fowl to me. And my son and I had a discussion about being a dentist the other day. He has a facination with my teeth these days. So I let him touch them. And I explained to him that being a dentist means putting your hands in other people's mouth all day. And my daughter wants a dog, and a horse. I show her people picking up their dog poop while walking the dog all the time to show her what that entails. And tell her a horse is tons of work. But I let them know when they are older they can do whatever they want. I think the draw of delivering babies attracts my daughter. Maybe she would not have to change bed pans forever. She would be a good nurse, born on the same day as Mother Teresa.
#114 of 120 Old 07-12-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey44 View Post
I don't know- I interpreted it as, "this is a real life example of why you need to learn your decimals. do you understand what she means when she says 1.5 baths? if you had been doing your math homework, you would!"
If it takes until college to figure that out, the rest of the child's education was a complete waste of time. And they should've been let out of their bedroom more often.
#115 of 120 Old 07-12-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelmendi View Post
I'd be annoyed. I *hate* being used as some sort of standard other people get measured against. I used to have a friend whose mother would compare us all the time. "Look how kelmendi helps me clear off the table!" etc, etc. But I always replied with "Guess my mother must have raised me right!" so she stopped.
Love it!
#116 of 120 Old 07-13-2010, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post
OP i am familiar with the culture.

so it does not offend me.

i am assuming that he came from a v. poor background in india.

and for him money means survival. money means freedom from hunger. which to me explains 8 bathrooms.

i see that from the indians i know who run 711 gas stations working 14 to 16 hours a day.

to me it shows love for his children. a wierd way to do it. it shows me how important this is - so much that he forgets where he is and how he speaks. it shows how deeply this affects him and how scared he is for his children.

if i did not have that cultural understanding, i would think differently too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookie View Post
i agree with this. i think it has everything to do with the cultural mulieu that they live in. (i grew up in that milieu as well ) for him, teaching his daughter that studies are paramount is something that is non-negotiable. even if his daughter is a straight A+ student there's always scope for her to be better...because there are millions that *are* better than her gradeswise. if she isn't spectacular she's basically average. also, in that culture praising your own kid in front of others is akin to tooting your horn, so rude. he may have been trying to show you he was humble

he should've had more tact, agreed, but it's best to chalk this up to culture and move on.

ETA: anyone who has 8 bathrooms isn't even thinking about cleaning them. no-one but hired helps (still called servants ) clean bathrooms in india.
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlier View Post
I also think this is more a cultural difference issue than anything. My family and friends from India see nothing at all wrong with pointing out things that Americans would find highly offensive. Whenever I gain or lose any weight, especially gain, it's pointed out to me and widely discussed. I'm routinely asked all about the acne on my face. They've mostly given up trying to tease me into wearing better clothes or cook better foods because I just don't care. They're not necessarily trying to make me feel terrible (though they often succeed); that's just the way it's done over there. Please know I'm not trying to condone this behavior--I still find it extremely rude and irritating!

I'm happy in my 1-bathroom house, despite what my ILs may think about it. And it's true, bathroom cleaning and most housekeeping duties are done by the "servants" in India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngfrankenstein View Post
I'm with you! I *only* have 4 bathrooms but we just moved into this place we won at an auction. It's a tiny McMansion, but it has the space and design that suits us very well. I get irked when people look down on me for my house....I guess everyone can feel slighted by others for their own judgements. We got a lot of "Well I'd never live in a development" from people. Oh well, then don't!

Threadjack...

I do agree about the culture. I've met several people from different parts of Asia and one group from S Korea feel free to make comments to my obese brother about his eating. They don't say anything to me and I'm fat. It's just "acceptable" to make comments about him as a single man. My brother certainly doesn't like it but he knows it's their way.
Well up to the last comment there I was going to go on a tirade about sexism.

And because the husband in the original post thought it was OK to talk over the OP I still think it's plain old sexism.

It's always OK to disrespect the little lady.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#117 of 120 Old 07-13-2010, 04:06 PM

If a country is such that having a college degree gets you a home with 8 bathrooms, I'd think the lesson to be learned is to be grateful the rest of the populace is poverty stricken enough to be cheap labor and not be out buying their own houses that'll take up the room you're using for your mansion.

Vs. a country where everyone has 1-2 bathrooms and no one starves.
#118 of 120 Old 07-14-2010, 12:27 AM

I find it odd to value having a lot of bathrooms if your goal is to avoid starvation. It seems like the objective is to have a luxurious lifestyle. If he grew up poor why wouldn't he use his suffering in childhood as an example?

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#119 of 120 Old 07-14-2010, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
If a country is such that having a college degree gets you a home with 8 bathrooms, I'd think the lesson to be learned is to be grateful the rest of the populace is poverty stricken enough to be cheap labor and not be out buying their own houses that'll take up the room you're using for your mansion.

Vs. a country where everyone has 1-2 bathrooms and no one starves.
the irony is that this cheap labor supplies the bulk of the goods at low prices for people of countries where everyone has 1-2 bathrooms and no one starves. something to be grateful for. it takes a lot more to level the playing field than just a basic college education. it does help your lot, though.

OP, this sounds like one of those situations where people really don't think before speaking.
#120 of 120 Old 07-14-2010, 11:06 AM

This sounds like a cultural thing to me too. If you're going to have friends from other cultures - real friends, not just acquaintances - you're going to run into stuff like this. We certainly do with US-German friendships and I imagine the gaps are smaller than they would be with India.

Sometimes we ignore this stuff, especially if we know it's a cultural thing and not so important. With close friends, we might launch a big discussion. That takes time and emotional investment so it's not always worth it, but sometimes it is. It's not that at the end we agree that a particular comment was ok or not ok, but we can agree that it is different in the competing cultures. But, I really don't think you are going to find too many cross-cultural friendships without some of this sort of thing. If you want that kind of friendship, you have to figure out how to deal with this stuff when it matters to you.

In any case, your answer that 1.5 is normal for Europe, is a perfectly reasonable one. Different culture, different norms.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page