Fun Family Traditions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-07-2010, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sweet and goofy things like family "holidays" of your own invention...Chocolate Chip Cookie Tuesday or Yellow Day (wear/eat only yellow things) or Backwards Day (eat dessert for breakfast and breakfast for supper) or Pajama Day.

What are your fun family traditions?

Mama to DS (5)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2010, 05:38 PM

Well, dd likes to hold random 'love day's - these involve elaborately preparing bags of (her) candy which she gives to me & dh, and sometimes cards and/or pictures too. It's all very sweet .
Old 07-07-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkimum View Post
Well, dd likes to hold random 'love day's - these involve elaborately preparing bags of (her) candy which she gives to me & dh, and sometimes cards and/or pictures too. It's all very sweet .
OMG that is so adorable! Once in a while DH and DD have "daddy daughter day" where he takes a day off during the week and they spend it together doing whatever they want. If I can come too, she calls it "daddy mommy daughter day" It's nice for them to designate a day that is just for them and she gets excited and announces, "It's daddy daughter day!"

Mama to DD 4/06 notes2.gif  new DS stork-boy.gif born 17/12/10 familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
Old 07-07-2010, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
It's hard to think of them off the top of my head, but we like to do silly stuff like that. Tomorrow we're having an elaborate "birthday" party for DS's hamster, for example. The kids spent the morning making cards and decorations for it. It's pretty much an excuse to get me to make cupcakes, but that's fine with me!

And last week DS and I filled up 50 water balloons (it was supposed to be 100 but my fingers couldn't take any more tying) while DH was at work and surprised him with a "water park" in the backyard when he got home.

I guess those aren't really traditions in that they aren't things we do on the same day every year or anything, but they do make the day feel special somehow!

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Old 07-07-2010, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Love all of these! Keep them coming... :-)

Mama to DS (5)

Old 07-07-2010, 07:48 PM

Every year, on the summer solstice (longest day of the year), we make S'mores out on the grill.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:19 PM

DSD and I go out for pictures once in a while. We pick a place (a park, a field, beach), dress up for fun, drive out there and spend an hour or two taking pictures. Super duper memories. I wish I started it sooner. I have a few sets now that I am burning on DVDs with music.

DSD and her dad go out to Starbucks for father-daughter time about 2-3 times a month.

We always put on Little Women movie when we dress up a Christmas Tree.

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
Old 07-07-2010, 09:35 PM

I thought of a couple more (besides all the holiday traditions). We go to Yosemite most years and have for generations, and we always bring a strand of Christmas lights to decorate our camp, and bring a tablecloth and a potted plant to dress up the table. And the very first thing we have to do is walk to Happy Isles and get an orange juice bar from the snack bar -- for generations, that's just What You Do when you arrive in Yosemite.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post
I thought of a couple more (besides all the holiday traditions). We go to Yosemite most years and have for generations, and we always bring a strand of Christmas lights to decorate our camp, and bring a tablecloth and a potted plant to dress up the table. And the very first thing we have to do is walk to Happy Isles and get an orange juice bar from the snack bar -- for generations, that's just What You Do when you arrive in Yosemite.
I got such a happy feeling reading this. THIS is the kind of thing that I want to create for my kids... this this this!!! What a nice thing!!!!

Old 07-08-2010, 12:02 AM
Banned

My kids and I have tea time every afternoon at 4:30. We picked out fun tea cups at the thrift store and we have homemade bread with jam. You know, "tea with jam and bread". Now I'm going to be singing all night.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:24 AM

We have a Faery tea party on Midsummer now ( 2 years running). DD wears wings and a dress she picks out, we do bubbles and glitter and have raw honey on rolls with some fruit, blooming flower tea and little edible flowers. We have all this in the backyard with dancing to 'dance magic dance' by Bowie and Faery hunting in the evening. This year I taught dd about leaving offerings to the Fay and asking for blessings. I hope she wants to do this for years and years to come!

We have some daily traditions like making a race out of going to the bathroom for bath time and leaving little offerings at our outdoor altar/shrine. I'm still trying to find more things for holidays and maybe to try and make up our own holidays too!

Mother to one Little Flower Childdust.gif 3/08 and one little squirmy boy babyf.gif 4/12 homebirth.jpg, Wife to fuzmalesling.gif,I am a Vegan Pagan. We familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif mdcblog5.gif!

Old 07-08-2010, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Orchid View Post
I got such a happy feeling reading this. THIS is the kind of thing that I want to create for my kids... this this this!!! What a nice thing!!!!
Aw, thanks! Yosemite is very special for my family (we even call it My-semite because we sort of think it's ours ) -- I'm the 5th-generation woman in my family to have climbed Half Dome and can't wait to continue that tradition with my kids, especially my daughter. There's an awesome story about how my great-grandmother climbed the cables, enjoyed the view, climbed back down, realized she'd left her sweater up top, and climbed back up to get it.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Before my 15yo got too old, we used to have Naked Laundy Day about once a week. I am super-OCD about my housework. I love to see everything done and put away all at once. It's my favorite little gift to myself to know there is not one more dish to wash or one more load of laundry in the hamper.

So when the kiddos were much smaller, we would just literally all runa round butt naked for one day while I washed every single dirty sheet, towel, and article of clothing.

Then after everything was put away and the house was cleaned and shining, we would all take showers, ds2 usually with me and put on PJs and settle in for a movie and early bedtime in our freshly washed linens. And the dinner of choice for Naked Laundry Day was chocolate chip pancakes fried in coconut oil made from scratch and eaten straight out of the pan.

Now that the kids are 8 and 15 and think it's worse to see mother naked than to eat a bowlful of boogers, I only get to do it if they aren't home. I skip the pancakes now, though. LOL

Bring back the old MDC
Old 07-09-2010, 05:59 PM

Oh, I thought of another one! Every Saturday morning is "Daddycakes Day," where DH lets me sleep in and makes pancakes for everyone, and I get to be lured downstairs by the smell of coffee and pancakes around 9am -- it's heavenly!

Last year for father's day I took DS to a paint-your-own-pottery place and he made a special plate just for DH to eat his daddycakes on.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Naked Laundry Day?! That sounds like something we need to try...DS runs around nakey most of the time anyway. And it's so HOT outside, too... ;-)

limabean -- love the Yosemite traditions and Daddycakes Day

Mama to DS (5)

Old 07-09-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensong13 View Post
We have a Faery tea party on Midsummer now ( 2 years running). DD wears wings and a dress she picks out, we do bubbles and glitter and have raw honey on rolls with some fruit, blooming flower tea and little edible flowers. We have all this in the backyard with dancing to 'dance magic dance' by Bowie and Faery hunting in the evening. This year I taught dd about leaving offerings to the Fay and asking for blessings. I hope she wants to do this for years and years to come!
Nice! I mean the whole thing is awesome but that just makes it! I think this is my favorite so far.

We don't have any family traditions yet as we have just started our family.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:05 AM

It was all about the "3 o'clock ice cream stop" in my family growing up, and we plan to continue with it once ds is old enough. This tradition involves stopping for a frozen treat at 3pm when traveling and on road trips...!!!
Old 07-11-2010, 06:14 PM

Well, DS is pretty young (he's two), but every so often we have "movie in bed night," where we all pile into mom and dad's bed (we don't cosleep anymore), and watch a movie on the computer until we all fall asleep.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:18 PM

I grew up eating extremely healthy: no sugars, limited fats, all local or grown on our farm and vegetarian. We we're the ones who got carob chips in our brown bag lunches as a "treat". Granted, I now value a well balanced diet and locally grown foods and am passing that on to my husband and son. But my dad had a day we would call "Dream Time" where we would venture out and get an ice cream cone or doughnut at the local shop. It was pretty special and made me appreciate sweets as a rare treat.

Loving mom to DS (05/08/10) expecting baby #2 in September 2011!

Old 07-13-2010, 02:40 PM

Mystery car rides to awesome places, I treasure those memories from childhood. Especially the ones that ended at TCBY. Dad would yell, "Mystery ride!" Everyone would run to the car and wait and wonder where we were going.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NellieKatz View Post
Every year, on the summer solstice (longest day of the year), we make S'mores out on the grill.
We do a bonfire for the winter solstice. The kids play drums, make smore's, stay up late and play in the dark. At Christmastime, we make hot cocoa and cookies to bring on long walks to look at decorated houses. Birthdays mean baking your own cake (with help from mama) and decorating the house with streamers. We have a special fairy garden near the front garden and we collect nature treasures that we think the fairies might like to place there.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriole View Post
DSD and her dad go out to Starbucks for father-daughter time about 2-3.
Date nights with the kids. One parent and one kid. We used to try to plan but that always ended up in disappointment on both parties part. Now it is something that the adults try to work into the schedule and spring on the kids. Last week I picked up my eldest from camp and told him date night. He picked a movie. I got ac, he got the movie and we both got to talk all alone in the car. I hope he continues to talk to me well into his teens. DD's favorite date night is a rice crispie treat at starbucks while we play mancala. Secretly, I think she just likes to watch the well dressed women chat since she doesn't focus much on the game!

On Winter's solstice we head to "our" woods (neighborhing conservation land) for a walk in the dusk leaving treats we've made for animal friends. (pb covered toast dredge in birdseed sort of items) Then we go home for lasanga eaten by candle light only and we head off to bed only by candlelight. We sometimes burn old man winter (a body shape made of sticks and twigs) because the days then start to get longer.

I think most people do this, but breakfast for dinner means we drink juice with dinner. Always a huge hit.

Birthdays- I make the cake for the friends' party but the birthday person gets to make the family cake if they so wish. Of course they also get to pick the meal. "Cake" often means ice cream sundaes, a favorite cookie, etc. I once got an awesome berry salad for my cake.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:13 PM

Growing up, once a month in the winter we would have ice cream sundaes for supper.

When my kids were younger we used to have random dance moments, mommy would put on some music and we would dance.

all of last year we would take a walk before supper. The kids loved that enough that they motivated me to do it (it was my exercise) but now that I am pregnant and have SPD I cant =(

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:04 PM

Re-Christmas.
We are, as a rule, VERY non-religious. If anything, we lean toward Buddhist. But both of us grew up with Christmas and therefore celebrate is a time for family and bonding and food you never eat and seeing people who you never see (...and sometimes feel like that's too much, but they ARE family and family sticks together...). One year, Christmas.just.sucked. Mom lost her house, we fought, the car broke down, brother relapsed... you get the idea, REALLY.BAD.DAY.times ten.
So we called a re-do one month out, did the basic family obligations, stock-piled the gifts, curled up alone together, ate frozen pizza, and watched lame cartoons.
January 25? The tree was still up, the lights were on, Christmas music was playing, Christmas movies from the DVR were played all day, and we opened gifts, had a nice dinner, and played up the day.
We now just plan Christmas to suck, give the kiddos prezzies, roll our eyes, and appreciate (greatly) anything that goes well that day.
Re-Christmas is the stuff we wait for. Kids at respite after a nice breakfast, grown ups exchange gifts, have a nice evening out, and get some rest.
The kids love it because it's always a fun day at respite, and we all get a healthy break.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:53 PM

Oh! I love your traditions. We have a couple. My DS and I have a picnic breakfast every saturday at the duck pond near our house. Sometimes we hit the drive thru, sometimes it is sandwiches, or cereal bars. Always coffee for me, milk for him. It started because my DH works nights (and weekends) and I needed something to do on the weekend mornings so DH could get SOME sleep before he heads off to work. And every Sunday morning we go grocery shopping as soon as we wake up.

Also, at the end of the week of DS stays on Green at daycare (was good) he gets to pick dinner. Sometimes it tacos (yes!) or nachos (yes!) or mcdonalds (ew!). But his choice if he has behaved all week. Sometimes he doesn't want to pick which means BBQ something.

We also walk once around our block most nights (it has been way too hot on our puppys paws this month so we are taking a hiatus.) This wears DS out and the dogs at the same time.

He is just three, but befor every major holiday we sit down and learn some history about the holiday. This year for the 4th we learned about the flag and that it was the birthday of 'merica. (He wanted to bake a birthday cake for 'merica- instead we had sundaes at a friends house...)

Got any idea what to do with a 3 year old with endless energy when it hits 115?? Let me know.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:37 AM

A couple of fun traditions for you --
My aunt started taking her son to McDonalds for breakfast on Friday when he started kindergarten. They've never missed! And now he's a 19-year-old grown man, and still asks "mom, are we going to breakfast tomorrow??" So cute!
Second - this was my DH's first fathers day. I bought a cheapy scrapbook at Hobby Lobby and some craft paint. We stamped his hand on a page in the scrapbook, let it dry, and stamped DD baby hand on top of his in a different color. Our plan is to create a new page every fathers day with both of their hands.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-14-2010, 08:42 PM

My 10yo just pointed out yesterday that we have a tradition.

Every 6 months after the girls have a dentist appt we go to my mom's and our favorite Chinese restaurant (it's just down the street). After the girls appt in January we went for the first time without my mom because she was out of town on vacation. We couldn't not go, even though we didn't realize it was a tradition, it's become pretty ingrained!

Student Midwife, Mom to 4 girls, 3 angel babies and 1 little boy that we are all in love with!
Ask me about my VBA2C and UBA2C after an Inverted T.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love these traditions! I'm going to have to steal the handprint scrapbook idea. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWnewmom View Post
I grew up eating extremely healthy: no sugars, limited fats, all local or grown on our farm and vegetarian. We we're the ones who got carob chips in our brown bag lunches as a "treat". Granted, I now value a well balanced diet and locally grown foods and am passing that on to my husband and son. But my dad had a day we would call "Dream Time" where we would venture out and get an ice cream cone or doughnut at the local shop. It was pretty special and made me appreciate sweets as a rare treat.
This is how I am trying to teach DS to value healthy food. I was wondering how often you had your "Dream Time". Also, did you eat the treats away from home like at birthday parties and things?

partners.gif Wife to mysuperhero.gif             
hang.gif Mommy to thehomebirth.jpg miracle of our love lovestory.gif  our sweet dog2.gif andchicken3.gif

Old 07-23-2010, 03:20 PM

DD is 15.5 now, but in the 5th grade she started an end-of-school tradition - she invites a bunch of kids over and they burn their homework in the backyard fire pit! It's really cathartic for them as they get to review everything and talk over projects, memories, etc. Then s'mores, naturally. This year we had about 15 kids, so I had to tell them to bring only a "symbolic" amount of paper, otherwise we'd have burned all night! DS (12.5) is starting the same tradition with his friends.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:46 PM

One tradition we do is celebrate sibling day which I decided would be the last weekend in July. Every year I make them a photo album with pictures of themselves and their siblings and we bake a cake (because what celebration wouldn't be complete with out cake). I plan to include different activities based on what the kids want to do to celebrate their siblings but mostly for us it is just a time when we can celebrate our family.

User Tag List