Talk me out of it, please! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am having one of these days where I just want to get drunk. Sounds horrible, right? I am not a drinker at all (maybe a glass of wine here or there or non alcoholic beer). But lately I am bombarded from all the sides. I am just so worn out Financial troubles, husband working crazy hours, suspicious thoughts and fighting because of it, my family living overseas and barely any friends here, a very active 2.5. yo and an infant. I am just feeling like getting drunk to get away from it all.
#2 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 06:22 PM

Well, you'll just wake up with a hangover and the same problems

Seriously, though, I feel ya. I had a day like that a couple of weeks ago. I just felt like leaving my house for awhile and going out for drinks. So, I say, have a drink, it might make you feel a little better. Just don't go overboard.
#3 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 06:31 PM

Hugs Mama.

I often have days where I feel like a drink...so I am not a good influence. I say have a nice glass of wine or a good beer, put your feet up for a minute & enjoy. Or for me, sometimes when I am making dinner, it makes me feel really content to have a drink while cooking. I feel like a normal person or something??? Weird, I know.

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#4 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 06:36 PM

Don't do it. It won't improve the situation whatsoever and hangovers are no fun anyway.

Is there any chance you can go somewhere and take a break and just have some me-time for a while? Depending on what you're into it could be a jog around the neighborhood, a pedicure at a local salon, a few hours with a good book under a shady tree, a spa treatment or two, a solo hike on a local trail, etc. etc.? Alcohol probably isn't the answer here, but you sound overwhelmed and should take care of yourself as much and as often as you care for your family.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#5 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I don't have a drink when I'm the only grownup home. No way. Anything could happen. When dh is home.. I have a cider or a glass of wine if I've had a tough day. I have teens.. there are some tough days round here.
#6 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 06:37 PM

I often feel the same way, only I think alcohol tastes like troll toe fungus. I often wish I could 'escape' with a glass of wine.

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#7 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

You are right, ladies. The drink is not the solution. On top of everything I nurse and cosleep with my infant. So I am not going to get drunk. I just don't know how to get away from it all. I can't even leave my babies because my infant does not take a bottle at all and cries when anyone tries to hold her besides me, even her father. The only person who she was content with was my cousin who just left and will not be back for at least another 6 months.
and I have a splitting headache to top it all
#8 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet2 View Post

I often feel the same way, only I think alcohol tastes like troll toe fungus. I often wish I could 'escape' with a glass of wine.

V
You made me smile with your analogy I don't know what it is but it sounds interestingly disgusting
#9 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 06:51 PM

I'm so sorry Mama. Our dd2 also wont take a bottle & is very attached to me. It makes it really hard. I had a gift certificate for a massage a few weeks ago that was going to expire. Right near our house, was gone 65 mins. Walked in the door & dd2 was screaming.

Makes it kind of impossible to leave the house to do anything on your own.

Incidentally, I never suggested getting drunk. One drink would not render someone drunk & a danger to their kids or incapable of breastfeeding, cosleeping, dealing with an emergency.

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#10 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellairiesmom View Post
I'm so sorry Mama. Our dd2 also wont take a bottle & is very attached to me. It makes it really hard. I had a gift certificate for a massage a few weeks ago that was going to expire. Right near our house, was gone 65 mins. Walked in the door & dd2 was screaming.

Makes it kind of impossible to leave the house to do anything on your own.

Incidentally, I never suggested getting drunk. One drink would not render someone drunk & a danger to their kids or incapable of breastfeeding, cosleeping, dealing with an emergency.
See, I would love a glass of nice red wine. I don't think it would make me drunk or anything. I just don't have any in the house and I can;t go to the liquor store with two kids. and my DH is not answering his phone...
#11 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
maybe not immediately, but you can have dh pick some on his way back home and after kids have gone to bed, maybe you and dh can share a glass. even if you only get peace for ten minutes, it is at least some relaxation for 10 mins.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#12 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 07:09 PM

I think after DH gets home you should hand him the baby for a little bit and go take a nice bath. Take care of yourself mama.

sleepytime.gif
#13 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 07:52 PM

I'd be terrible. Cuz, I'd bring the rum and lemonade over.

If you lived in this neighborhood, we'd have you out in the lawn chair with a drink in your hand and your kids would be running all over the street with our kids.
#14 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinak1977 View Post
I think after DH gets home you should hand him the baby for a little bit and go take a nice bath. Take care of yourself mama.

Just make sure your dh brings home chocolate. You can sit in the tub, read a good book and eat chocolate. It's better than wine anyway and doesn't give you a hangover.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#15 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 08:55 PM

nak

this thread has made me want wine, chocolate & lemonade...lol

it would be great if he could stop & pick up chocolate (dark, of course) & a bottle of red that you could each have a glass of, while you are in the tub & he helps with the kids. worst case scenario (this is what would go down in my house) dh could sit in the bathroom with you so your lo can still see you & doesn't freak out.

and try to cut yourself some slack during the day...it's ok to turn on the tv for your kids so you can sit down & rub your temples, take a tylenol...or better yet, take a hot shower. i am learning to not try & live up to some image of a mother/wife i think i should be. and it's a damn good thing i am learning it since i am so NOT cutting it at the image!!!!

#16 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 08:57 PM

Well red wine would make my headache worse...

I find a cup of tea can do wonders. Pair it with a good book. In fact, I've had a rough day and I think I'm going to go up and make myself a cup of Sleepytime. I love that tea.

I hope your day is better tomorrow. (((hugs)))
#17 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcommercial View Post
I'd be terrible. Cuz, I'd bring the rum and lemonade over.
How does that taste? Like lemonade?
#18 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 09:41 PM

I'll be over in 20 minutes with a couple of bottles of Merlot.

This week in particular, I am feeling the exact same way. These are the days that make me wish I had an on-call nanny. And weren't 34 weeks pregnant.

Wife to a bearded dude.
Mama to DS [05/21/08] & DD [09/16/10] 43 weeks 1 day!
#19 of 22 Old 07-22-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybun View Post
You are right, ladies. The drink is not the solution. On top of everything I nurse and cosleep with my infant. So I am not going to get drunk. I just don't know how to get away from it all. I can't even leave my babies because my infant does not take a bottle at all and cries when anyone tries to hold her besides me, even her father. The only person who she was content with was my cousin who just left and will not be back for at least another 6 months.
and I have a splitting headache to top it all
Try to figure out what else soothes your soul. This winter, I either had a glass of red wine or a cup of tea with milk and honey at 4:30 every day, and my 4 year old and I would curl up on the couch and watch Giada on Food Network. That was my relaxy time. Just a little thing but I looked forward to it all those cold days!
#20 of 22 Old 07-22-2010, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Well, ladies, I did get my nice glass of red wine I am feeling much better today. I would take you up on your offer to come and enjoy this wine together. I wish I lived in the proximity to those of you who offered. Thanks for all your nice words! You guys made me smile yesterday when I really did not feel like it at all. You know all these expectations being a perfect mother, wife and a homemaker need to go. I am forgetting about myself a lot lately and it's getting to me. This morning I made a vow to myself - I WILL remember me and do things just for me once in a while. I hope it does not sound selfish.
#21 of 22 Old 07-22-2010, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughymama View Post
I'll be over in 20 minutes with a couple of bottles of Merlot.

This week in particular, I am feeling the exact same way. These are the days that make me wish I had an on-call nanny. And weren't 34 weeks pregnant.

LOVE Merlot!
#22 of 22 Old 07-22-2010, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybun View Post
This morning I made a vow to myself - I WILL remember me and do things just for me once in a while. I hope it does not sound selfish.
actually i think not taking care of yourself is v. SELFISH of you.

because ultimately you come to a breaking point. and everyone around you protests because you have brought them up to expect you you you all the time.

soooo glad you had your glass of wine.

its v. v. important that you do something - anything for yourself at least once a way. whether that is just sitting back and enjoying a glass of icy cold water or picking a flower and putting it in your hair. or making sure you change your clothes everyday and not look frumpy ya know.

whatever it takes.

i think only when we take care of ourselves do we actually BECOME the perfect mother.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page