Babysitter did WHAT? How do I proceed? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 07-21-2010, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I recently have started working the 3-11 shift and hired a family friend (she is a little sister of a friend I grew up with) she is 19 years old. At first everything seemed ok. My kids are 1 and 3. my 3 year old seems to like her. The baby is very close to her mommy and daddy. She definitely likes my other sitter that I use sometimes though and my mom. Her reactions to my family friend sitter lately have been a little weird. Really crying when I am leaving. I got the feeling my sitter prefers my 3 year old. My sitter has cancelled randomly with stupid excuses twice and since the last time I really was questioning her sitting for a few reasons (cancelling and my 1 year old and a gut feeling). Lately both my kids are having a hard time sleeping. My 3 year old has been wanting to sleep on our floor when she has always slept in her room in her bed, the 1 year old has always fallen asleep on her own, no crying. Lately both of them are off. Really scared at sleep time even when me or DP are here.

So today I am getting my groceries out of the car and my neighbor comes over to tell me what she saw my sitter do the other day. So my newly potty learned 3 year old tells her she needs to go inside and pee, the sitter is telling her no, standing in front of the door and refusing to let her in telling her they are staying outside. My 3 year old is screaming so loud my neighbor comes outside and makes sure she is hearing correctly. YUP, she makes my 3 year old pee outside (not a problem if its an accident or she wants to, sometimes we let it go) but she really was mean. Making me question, if this is going on outside where ppl can hear (family owned and lived in apartment, close neighbors) what is she doing inside???? OMG. Obviously I am not going to use her again, but do I confront her? Do I say something? WWYD?

Torre , Momma to Abrielle (4/07) and Annalise (7/09), Birthdoula, CNA, Aspiring Nurse, and wanna-be baby catcher. I ATE MY !
#2 of 29 Old 07-21-2010, 09:39 PM

I would want to talk to the neighbor and get more of the story, if possible -- if she's heard anything on other days, etc. I'm not a confrontational person at all, but yeah, after that, I would confront her. She needs to know exactly why she's being fired. At 19, she may be on a steep learning curve for some reason and just not at all know how to handle young children. And she should know that so she doesn't take another job working with small children for a long, long time. (I'm NOT saying her actions are ok by any means! Just that she may be on the extreme end of clueless and getting called on her actions will make it harder for her to continue this pattern of behavior.) I would also put the word out to any friends or neighbors looking for a sitter to avoid her.
#3 of 29 Old 07-21-2010, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

She watches her sisters 3 kids, overnights and everything. I am going to ask my sister in law upstairs if she ever heard anything, the neighbor said that was all she saw. But DD2's bedtime is 7 and regardless of what time DP comes home the baby is asleep, 5, 5:15, 6 whatever she is asleep. I think she is letting her CIO and that makes me sick. UGH I'm afraid to tell her because I might lose it and tell her off and say some mean things. I mean DD can do the potty thing alone and even let herself back out when she is done, she just cannot open the screen door. How lazy and controlling can you possibly be? She was standing IN FRONT of the door and not letting her in. We had 100 degree days last week. She was probably hot and tired. UGH I AM SO P*SSED

Torre , Momma to Abrielle (4/07) and Annalise (7/09), Birthdoula, CNA, Aspiring Nurse, and wanna-be baby catcher. I ATE MY !
#4 of 29 Old 07-21-2010, 09:47 PM

Mama, it's ok to lose it and say some mean things in that situation. Really really. It sounds like any "mean" thing you say would be true.
#5 of 29 Old 07-21-2010, 09:47 PM

Honestly between the changes in your childrens behavior and sleeping habits, the gut feeling, and the story from your neighbor, I'd find a new sitter ASAP. I wouldn't leave my children alone with her.

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#6 of 29 Old 07-21-2010, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Kemp- I have another sitter I use too and honestly I will quit my job before I allow my kids to be abused. Thanks mama's.

#7 of 29 Old 07-21-2010, 10:28 PM

I didn't mean to come across harsh. Just honest.

Hugs Mama.

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#8 of 29 Old 07-21-2010, 10:35 PM

I would talk to the sitter, as calmly as possible, and try to figure out exactly what was going on outside. It sounds so bizarre, that she would encourage your 3 year old to pee out side. Did you ask your 3 year old about it? I would for sure look for a new sitter, but I'd also try to figure out what was going on when the neighbor came over.
#9 of 29 Old 07-21-2010, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Kemp- OH NO! YOU DIDN'T AT ALL! I was just stating that I would never ever leave them with her again (actually I had planned to not use her again prior to this neighbor telling me this). I'm just so sad for my kids. I mean this was my ultimate fear about going back to work. It essentially took me 3 years and now this. Reaffirming my concerns. It's like, why be cruel when you can be gentle? It's harder to be cruel. I shudder to think what this was like for them.

#10 of 29 Old 07-21-2010, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Astra- thats what weirds me out. Like why would you stand in front of the door rather than just let the kid in? It is weird and just creepy. I asked Abrielle and she said B was mean to her and made her pee outside eventhough she asked to go potty inside and then said she was sorry for peeing outside. Making me feel worse. It sounds like my sitter is just not liking my kids or unhappy and needs the money as it is her only job.

#11 of 29 Old 07-21-2010, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmama369 View Post
Mama, it's ok to lose it and say some mean things in that situation. Really really. It sounds like any "mean" thing you say would be true.
That is what I would do. What she did borders on abuse. Refusing to let a child use the bathroom and making them wet themselves is humiliating and abusive. I would not be nice about telling her she shouldn't have anything to do with kids.
#12 of 29 Old 07-21-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

#13 of 29 Old 07-21-2010, 11:01 PM

Oh I would be livid! And heartbroken too.

Yes, I think you should definitely tell her off. She has no business being around little ones.
#14 of 29 Old 07-21-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Yes. But start off nice and let her dig her own hole. E.g. "Do you have any problem with the baby not falling asleep?" and then lay into her when she says "oh, no, she just cries for x minutes and then gives up" or whatever.
#15 of 29 Old 07-21-2010, 11:14 PM

Knowing me, I'd have lost it the minute the neighbor told me and called her and told her off right then. There is just no excuse for what she did.
#16 of 29 Old 07-21-2010, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
Knowing me, I'd have lost it the minute the neighbor told me and called her and told her off right then. There is just no excuse for what she did.

You don't have to be cruel but you certainly have every right to tell her that her behavior is completely unacceptable for any child and that she is never to come near your babies again.

Momma to my beautiful blessing pinktongue.gif (Nov '08) and two Spirit babies angel3.gif (Dec '09) and angel2.gif (July '10)

#17 of 29 Old 07-22-2010, 10:06 AM

What she did is not "bordering" on abusive...it IS abusive.

And if this happened one time, your kids would have probably not changed their habits.

I would go over to the girl's house and confront her face to face. You can read someone so much better by body language than by on the phone. I would also tell her parents why she is being fired.

Wow...so sorry this happened.
#18 of 29 Old 07-22-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KempsMama View Post
Honestly between the changes in your childrens behavior and sleeping habits, the gut feeling, and the story from your neighbor, I'd find a new sitter ASAP. I wouldn't leave my children alone with her.
Yeah, my Spidey Sense isn't happy with this one either. I expect some change for the first few weeks or so, but coupled with your neighbour's story, I think I'd fire her.

Don't trust anyone under 5! Mom to 3 boys under 5. Blogging to save my sanity.
#19 of 29 Old 07-22-2010, 02:52 PM

That is really strange behavior. Like others have mentioned, I would talk to the neighbor to get the full story and ask your DD about the incident (and any other incidents) and then confront the babysitter.
#20 of 29 Old 07-22-2010, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

I have talked to the neighbor at length and she told me the whole situation and that was it (it's bad enough).

I did talk to DD and ask her if B was mean to her and she said no, then yes, then no again. I asked her if she let Anna cry at bedtime and she said yes. I SPECIFICALLY told her we DO NOT allow them to CIO. She knew and this is ridiculous. If she was not ok with it, just quit. WTF.

I am trying to just focus on the kids. I told Abrielle Miss B is never coming back and she proceeded to cuddle with me for a half hour then fall asleep in HER bed and sleep through the night in there. YEAH. She was SCARED. UGH

Meanwhile, my DP is livid (not at me) wants me to quit my job, which is not the answer for us right now. I am going to try to get by with my mom and the sitter I currently have as backup and then hopefully when my LPN starts in Jan I can just go Per Diem at work. Most likely I will be SAH again in a year or so (we are TTC#3).

She doesn't live with her parents, but with her fiance. Her mom is a really good friend of ours and I am afraid that if I see her/them out, I might lose it.

I decided for now, not to call my sitter. If she lies I will flip and right now I just need to calm down a bit.

#21 of 29 Old 07-22-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommatoAandA View Post
I have talked to the neighbor at length and she told me the whole situation and that was it (it's bad enough).

I did talk to DD and ask her if B was mean to her and she said no, then yes, then no again. I asked her if she let Anna cry at bedtime and she said yes. I SPECIFICALLY told her we DO NOT allow them to CIO. She knew and this is ridiculous. If she was not ok with it, just quit. WTF.

I am trying to just focus on the kids. I told Abrielle Miss B is never coming back and she proceeded to cuddle with me for a half hour then fall asleep in HER bed and sleep through the night in there. YEAH. She was SCARED. UGH

Meanwhile, my DP is livid (not at me) wants me to quit my job, which is not the answer for us right now. I am going to try to get by with my mom and the sitter I currently have as backup and then hopefully when my LPN starts in Jan I can just go Per Diem at work. Most likely I will be SAH again in a year or so (we are TTC#3).

She doesn't live with her parents, but with her fiance. Her mom is a really good friend of ours and I am afraid that if I see her/them out, I might lose it.

I decided for now, not to call my sitter. If she lies I will flip and right now I just need to calm down a bit.

That stinks momma. I'd be upset too.. very much so, BUT you really need to talk to the sitter first. I know that my three year old, while very smart, tells me things that are actually the opposite of what happened. She may not be laying down to sleep and crying the whole time.. She could have woke up and cried, and your little heard it.. etc. There are too many things that could be happening. Also, as for not letting your daughter in for the restroom.. maybe your daughter had been playing around and asking repeatedly. Maybe she had just let your daughter potty, or she'd already been in several times-mine do that. Sometimes they just want to check out the bathroom. Either way, talk to her.
#22 of 29 Old 07-22-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
Yes. But start off nice and let her dig her own hole. E.g. "Do you have any problem with the baby not falling asleep?" and then lay into her when she says "oh, no, she just cries for x minutes and then gives up" or whatever.
Why play games like this?

OP, be direct and honest. "My neighbor informed me that you have not been allowing my children to go into the house to use the bathroom. That is abusive and unnecessary. I also suspect that you have left the baby to cry to fall asleep. While that may be acceptible in some families, it is not in ours, and you should NEVER assume what a family wants in that regard. You should always ask. I will no longer be calling you to babysit, and will not provide a reference for you. I hope that you take this as a learning experience, I am very disappointed in your behavior."
#23 of 29 Old 07-22-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebebradford View Post
Also, as for not letting your daughter in for the restroom.. maybe your daughter had been playing around and asking repeatedly. Maybe she had just let your daughter potty, or she'd already been in several times-mine do that. Sometimes they just want to check out the bathroom.
None of that would be a valid excuse for not allowing a recently potty trained three year old access to the bathroom even when she's screaming so loud the neighbors come out of their houses and then making her do her business outside. There were days early on in potty training when my daughter had to go to the bathroom over and over. I cannot imagine telling her no. I know this girl is 19, but seriously, that's just ridiculous. I was a young babysitter too once, and I can't imagine doing anything like that.
#24 of 29 Old 07-22-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisCat View Post
None of that would be a valid excuse for not allowing a recently potty trained three year old access to the bathroom even when she's screaming so loud the neighbors come out of their houses and then making her do her business outside. There were days early on in potty training when my daughter had to go to the bathroom over and over. I cannot imagine telling her no. I know this girl is 19, but seriously, that's just ridiculous. I was a young babysitter too once, and I can't imagine doing anything like that.
You do have a point, I missed the part where they have just potty trained her. I just know that my son tells me he has to use the restroom many times a day, and he runs in there and starts playing. lol.. I was just thinking maybe it could have been something similar. Regardless, she needs to talk to the sitter. I wouldn't use the sitter again, but I would def talk to her and hear both sides. Besides, in this case, wouldn't it be awesome if it was a big misunderstanding? I would so much rather find out I was WRONG about details in a matter like this, than to find out I was right about abuse.
#25 of 29 Old 07-22-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebebradford View Post
You do have a point, I missed the part where they have just potty trained her. I just know that my son tells me he has to use the restroom many times a day, and he runs in there and starts playing. lol.. I was just thinking maybe it could have been something similar. Regardless, she needs to talk to the sitter. I wouldn't use the sitter again, but I would def talk to her and hear both sides. Besides, in this case, wouldn't it be awesome if it was a big misunderstanding? I would so much rather find out I was WRONG about details in a matter like this, than to find out I was right about abuse.
Even if the sitter says it was something like that, there's no reassurance. That could just mean the sitter knows her behaviour is out of line, and it trying to cover her butt. Honestly, the story from the neighbour, combined with the OP's gut feeling that something was wrong, and the changed behaviour from her kids sounds/looks pretty convincing to me.

Even if the sitter does say that the OP's dd was asking and asking or something, the OP isn't going to feel any better, and probably isn't going to believe it. Intellectually, I can see the value in getting both sides, but I raelly don't think it's going to matter in this case.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#26 of 29 Old 07-22-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerchild View Post
Why play games like this?
To allow her to have a reasonable story if she does happen to be innocent without giving her an opening to just lie if she's guilty. Basically, I assume that if she is abusive, she'll also be deceptive. A flat out confrontation is more likely to lead to simple denials and it'd be harder to tell if she's denying it because she had done nothing, or if she were denying it because she was caught.

I posted before seeing the update where the OP's dd confirmed the neighbor's report though.
#27 of 29 Old 07-23-2010, 01:15 AM

She is 19 and probaby does not have a lot of experiance with kids but probably thinks she knows quite a lot. I say this as the worst most arrogant babysitter in the world when I was 19 and childless. chances are she just really doesn't get it.a fussing baby may not be the same thing as a crying baby to her. but it could well be to you or your dd. Some people really do not want kids running in and out of the house especially if it is air conditioned and would prefer they pee outside. this coud just be a clash of values. differing definitions and different expectations.

I would give her a chance to explain how things are going. Just ask her "how do you feel things are going? have there been things that were more challeneging than you expected? " it is not a game. it is a chance for her to be honest. Then once you have heard her out ask her about specific things. "3yo says the baby cries hersef to sleep. Have you found putting her to bed difficult? how did you handle that? then move on to "the neighbor said dd was forced to pee in the yard and dd confirmed this story. Can you explain what happened there?" Then I would calmly explain to her that you clearly do not see eye to eye on things and because of that she cannot continue to babysit for you. It really could be that you guys define cry it out differently. or that she just doesn't get it somehow. no need to go crazy on her if that is the case. On the other hand if she getss defensive and starts blaming the kids or calls you a bad mom and starts tewlling you how she could whip your kids into shape....then go crazy on her. a mistake is one thing, being clueless does not equal mean or cruel. being an intentional jerk is something else all together.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#28 of 29 Old 07-23-2010, 01:28 AM

I would absolutely not let her near my children again and her explanations would be essentially worthless to me, no matter how convincing she made them sound. That your 3yo was scared to sleep in her own bed just hurts my heart. I'm so sorry, mama.

And while what your neighbor witnessed could have been a simple misunderstanding, I can't really see what there was to misunderstand. To be honest, it sounds like sadism, which is a common trait of child abusers.

So sorry you and your family went through this. I can't imagine having to see this person again; I would simply not be able to be civil or hold my tongue. And you know, some situations merit an impolite reaction or even a good old-fashioned dressing down. This is one of them.

Hugs to you and your little ones.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#29 of 29 Old 07-26-2010, 02:44 PM

OP,sorry you and your girls had to experience this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page