Emotional side of moving for a 17 month old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-22-2010, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have to move apartments because our landlord is moving back in. We really like where we live. Our DD does too. There are so many things about this place that are part of her routine and fun. The back door she throws everything out of, the cupboard she hides in etc, etc. Not to mention the AREA we live-we walk to Gymboree 2x week, walk to play area etc.

I am SO worried what a move it going to do/how it will affect our DD. I am worried about her security, routine, and whatever else.

what do you think? p.s again, I am really concerned.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 07-22-2010, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We moved when DS1 was a similar age, DS2 as well for that matter. It was always an easy transition for them. I'm a big believer in projecting the response you want. We wanted our kids to transition easily and enjoy the new experience, so that was how we behaved.
#3 of 12 Old 07-22-2010, 09:58 PM

Yeah, I would act really excited about it and talk about it a LOT before it happens. Take her with you to see new places. Prepare her the best you can. I know at that age (and even now) DS gets quite upset if his 'stuff' is messed with. He likes the same sheets on his bed, the same blanket, etc... One time he was throwing himself out of his crib because his quilt was in the wash and I had no idea.

Anyway, she'll probably take it better than you She won't even know she's leaving all these happy memories behind, you know? Good luck!

Mama to three

#4 of 12 Old 07-22-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post
We moved when DS1 was a similar age, DS2 as well for that matter. It was always an easy transition for them. I'm a big believer in projecting the response you want. We wanted our kids to transition easily and enjoy the new experience, so that was how we behaved.
Exactly. ^ We moved twice in the last year, once when DD was two weeks old and DS was almost 20 months, and then a few weeks ago, DD is 14 months and DS is almost three years. And these were Florida to Wisconsin back to Florida (different city) moves. So, the stress was on, but we really tried to show the children how wonderful a new house is, and a new neighborhood. DS had made a lot of friends in our great neighborhood in Wisconsin, and sometimes he asks about them, and that is the hardest part, I think, for him, but I am pretty sure that once he starts preschool next month and meets new children his age, he will really like that. We did have some adjustment and some acting out on his part, but I know a lot of that was a response to the stress we were showing. As for my 14 month old. Well, she's a pretty roll with the punches kind of girl. As long as DH and I are around her, she's fine.
Try not to stress and your DD will be fine.

Catherine and B stillheart.gif DS1 (6) biggrinbounce.gif DD (4) loveeyes.gif DS2 (1) drool.gif and expecting #4 shamrocksmile.gif on March 17, 2014.  
#5 of 12 Old 07-22-2010, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
We moved when DD was about 20 months. She barely even noticed. She loved running through the new house when it was empty; she didn't seem to miss the old house or feel uncomfy in the new one at all. We cosleep, so she still went to sleep in the same bed with with us; maybe that helped? Anyway, I think it'd be a much bigger issue for a 4-year-old who had a definite concept of her room, her yard etc.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#6 of 12 Old 07-22-2010, 10:06 PM

We moved right around DD's second birthday. She adjusted immediately -- she had a ways easier move than the cat!

As long as all her familiar things are there, and you are there, I doubt it will bother her at all.
#7 of 12 Old 07-22-2010, 11:27 PM

DD was 22 months at the time of our move. The way things worked, we moved a lot of small stuff on one day, spent the night in the old place, and then moved the rest the next day.

The second day, she was a bit anxious about all the stuff that wasn't in the apartment anymore, but as soon as the big moving started she was interested in that and didn't mind anymore.

Packing took place over a couple months so things looked different for awhile before the actual move.
#8 of 12 Old 07-23-2010, 12:46 AM

We moved when dd was 13 months (within the same city) and again when she was 3 (to a different city).

Honestly, she took it all in stride. I was a bit worried when we did the big move--it was a big change, and she was leaving all her nursery school friends--but she was really excited about the whole thing, especially about walking through the new, empty house and seeing all our stuff come off the moving truck.

We explained a lot about the packing and the moving truck and so forth, and we let her "help" us pack. But I think the most important thing was that WE acted excited and positive about the move, and she took her cues from us.
#9 of 12 Old 07-23-2010, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
We moved when DD was about 20 months. She barely even noticed.
Same here. When we moved our current house, DS was 19 months old. He was fine. I'm sure she'll find her own things to love about the new place once you move in.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#10 of 12 Old 07-23-2010, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
We moved when my daughter was 18 months old. Like you, I was worried because there were some things about the old house that were such a part of her day. She never looked back. At the time, she so much enjoyed exploring new places that she took to the new place instantly.
#11 of 12 Old 07-23-2010, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
At this age the consistency of people is more important than places. She'll adjust, probably faster than you.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#12 of 12 Old 07-23-2010, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
at 18 months our family split up. dh became an ex and moved out with his stuff.

dd didnt bat an eyelid. life went on the same because i continued to be her main stay.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page